• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Banzai

Been playing all saturday and sunday and am now up to the fight with sin. Some highlights:

1-0 against the Goers. Not my best score, but eeeh.
Pushed Chocobo Eater down the cliff, never been able to do that before.
Beat
Seymour Flux
on my 3rd try, new personal record!
Yunalesca
went down easy.
Dodging balloons and collecting birds: Sun Sigil on the 3rd try! after two (very) horrible attempts.
Nimrook free to hire after his first contract expired! My team's already unbeatable now.

Up next:
I have my No Encounter shield, so time to do some lightning dodging.
Maybe explore Omega's ruins? Need that last primer.
Monster catching! my most hated ffx activity -.-

pariah164

Any tips for the
Remiem Temple
Chocobo Race? Personal best is 3 chests. Also, couldn't get the No Encounter weapon from
Goesgano
; gave up after many attempts. RNGs hate me.

OmegaDL50

wow it does sound difficult, I'll keep that in mind, I'll train at the Omega ruins or a while.

The thing with this trick is you don't need to beat Don Tonberry to get the AP reward. You can just use Flee and bank the AP and walk away with easy sphere levels.

The whole point of Triple Overdrive > Overdrive to AP > Double AP on a weapon

Is that when a characters Overdrive is charged it's converted to AP, in the case of triple OD you are effectively tripling the amount received, and double AP doubles that making it a six times gain.

Comrade Overdrive mode gain is based on the amount of damage being done to a character, so since Don Tonberry's Grudge does 99,999 HP worth of damage (damage is based on how many enemies a character killed)

If you set this up right you can earn 99 sphere levels in a single battle. Making it the defacto best method to accrue AP in the entire game. Sure there is some grind involved to get the items needed to make the weapon to do this trick, but this is the way to go to level up quickly and max out a characters sphere grid.

Putty

Just ordered on Vita. I remember it back in the day and just been blown away! Just have to fit it in with I:SS and GZ now! Never played X2 so we'll see what that's like.

Jubern

Left Field - Tidus
Right Field - Wedge (17 shoot at lv 1)
Midfield - Zev Ronso (12 endurance, 7 pass, 7 block, 7 attack, 11 shoot at lv 1)
Left Defender - Ropp (15 blocks, 11 attack)
Right Defender - Zalitz (15 atk, 11 block at level 1)
Keeper - Jumal (14 catch)

All of which can be obtained at Luca or Mi'ihen.

Here's a great post someone else made about early players

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=105122117

Thank you kind people!

bobawesome

For years I've known that
the summoner is meant to die when they use the final aeon to defeat Sin
but the way it's presented to you...man. I nearly cried like a little girl.

OmegaDL50

For years I've known that
the summoner is meant to die when they use the final aeon to defeat Sin
but the way it's presented to you...man. I nearly cried like a little girl.

Yeah.
At the summit of Mt. Gagazet when Tidus picks up Yuna's sphere and begins to listen to it
and that scene that plays. It really gets to you.

Loke13

Just finished up operation Mi'hen and DAMN the atmosphere leading up to and after the operation is fantastic. The music before the big battle just invokes a sense of tension and urgency and afterwards the music switches to a more somber tone that combined with the NPC dialogue really just shrouds this section in a sense of dread and hopelessness.

And can't even recall anything from FFXIII that even came close to this.

ramyeon

Wakka's Status Reels showed up on my second league. Kinda wish these leagues weren't 10 games long, it's a bit much haha. After this I should be able to get his last overdrive pretty easily and then I'll have to do a couple more leagues to get his Sigil. Probably gonna take a few days :p

Next I aim for will be Auron's to break it up a bit from the mini games. I'm kind of dreading Lulu's. Never tried lightning dodging before but I got hit a lot when I was on Thunder Plains.

Steroyd

I don't know how I never noticed before but the Blitzball tournamrnt in Luca must be absolutely dire if the Besaid Auroch's never make it past the 1st round of a tournament for 23 years and somehow get seeded this time round.

Thoraxes

No fast-forward, slow battles, and having to sit through all the cutscenes makes this remake kinda grating. You'd think they'd fix these things for re-releases like this.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nope. You get a Strength Sphere (str+4) for winning that game. That's it.

Uhhhhhhhhhh soooo it's not related to that "Winning a tournament" trophy? Because I wouldn't want to bother trying to restart over and over again if it's not trophy related since there were unskippable cutscenes before the game and they were all bothersome... well, not that Wakka leaning to Lulu bit since they're adorable :3

ramyeon

No fast-forward, slow battles, and having to sit through all the cutscenes makes this remake kinda grating. You'd think they'd fix these things for re-releases like this.
I thought the battles were really snappy and quick. Especially with pretty much no loading times. And I'm using every character at least once in every battle.
Uhhhhhhhhhh soooo it's not related to that "Winning a tournament" trophy? Because I wouldn't want to bother trying to restart over and over again if it's not trophy related since there were unskippable cutscenes before the game and they were all bothersome... well, not that Wakka leaning to Lulu bit since they're adorable :3
No it's not. Winning a Tournament is from actually winning a full tournament. You get a trophy after beating that match simply because it's the first Blitzball match you win, you can get the trophy later on from any match.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No it's not. Winning a Tournament is from actually winning a full tournament. You get a trophy after beating that match simply because it's the first Blitzball match you win, you can get the trophy later on from any match.

Good to hear!

I mean, I'll try to win, but I wouldn't restart it again and again just to get that win.

Sorry Wakka, even if it's your last game :(

I don't know how I never noticed before but the Blitzball tournamrnt in Luca must be absolutely dire if the Besaid Auroch's never make it past the 1st round of a tournament for 23 years and somehow get seeded this time round.

So it's just like the seeding for the NCAA Tournament every year then.

0f4BK9j.jpg

anyone else think Vuroja looks like Big Boss?

Arthea

After meeting Maechen again, I again find myself thinking that every game needs Maechen! at least every with any kind of world and lore.

Reading through some posts I realised, that I forgot to do any recruiting in Luca again... such absent-mindedness, I'll pay for it.

Loke13

That's strange I'm not really finding battles all that slow if your properly leveled and know your enemies weakness they're actually fairly quick.

Thoraxes

I thought the battles were really snappy and quick. Especially with pretty much no loading times. And I'm using every character at least once in every battle.
My biggest beef is with the cutscenes (and unskippable dialogue too) though, especially when it was fixed in something like KH 1.5 HD. I usually just go to the bathroom or walk down to the kitchen for a drink when they start playing.

The battle-system complaints though are the least of my problems, but to prepare for the optional content when I near the end of the game I suppose it'll become more of an issue. I only get about 2 hours to play each night because of my job so to have things brought more up to modern standards when they're remaking them with all these lessons already learned in 2013-14 would've been a bonus with me. The no-loading times thing though, I totally agree on. It's nice and quick getting into and out of battles.

I always personally felt the battle-system in X was really slow though (probably the slowest in the series), especially when compared to something like its sequel X-2 which had the right amount of everything in it. Maybe placing next to it's direct sequel heightens those feelings though.

Arthea

My biggest beef is with the cutscenes (and unskippable dialogue too) though, especially when it was fixed in something like KH 1.5 HD. I usually just go to the bathroom or walk down to the kitchen for a drink when they start playing.

The battle-system complaints though are the least of my problems, but to prepare for the optional content when I near the end of the game I suppose it'll become more of an issue. I only get about 2 hours to play each night because of my job so to have things brought more up to modern standards when they're remaking them with all these lessons already learned in 2013-14 would've been a bonus with me. The no-loading times thing though, I totally agree on. It's nice and quick getting into and out of battles.

I always personally felt the battle-system in X was really slow though (probably the slowest in the series), especially when compared to something like its sequel X-2 which had the right amount of everything in it.

You kidding, right? Of course, it's slower than X-2, any battle system is slower than X-2, but slowest? Not even close! It's fast and controls are snappy and responsive. What can make it feel slow, summons, if you use them a lot, then yes, it feels slow, because summoning process is long.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I can't replay 9 because of the intro camera pan of each battle and the speed of the battles themselves. This is way faster.

Thoraxes

You kidding, right? Of course, it's slower than X-2, any battle system is slower than X-2, but slowest? Not even close! It's fast and controls are snappy and responsive. What can make it feel slow, summons, if you use them a lot, then yes, it feels slow, because summoning process is long.

I guess this would be a good time to ask what you think the slowest is then and why. For me, part of it is the summons (which I know can be shortened, so not an issue (and the Vita version has an in-battle toggle)), part of it is the animations for every enemy and the reading of their moves, and part of it is still the issue of how long it takes to get into battles. It's much improved over the original, but it's still lengthy... and waiting for Wakka's ball to come back lol

IX is like 10 times slower than X
I'm not even saying it's necessarily a bad thing (it's certainly tolerable); more like I would put it on a scale that has a small range of 1 (slow) - 3 (fast), with X being a 1 in the grand scheme of things. IX was not that slow, and I say this having replayed it the past year because of the annual PSN $5 FF sale.

Loke13

I believe you can go to config and skip the summoning animation.

Not a fan of the no cut-scene skipping. Would have figured they'd put that in.

I've also now grown to dislike Tidus. I used to love the guy way back...now though... I think I've seen the light. And Yuna. Yuna, Yuna, Yuna.... flat voice as always. Seems worse than it used to be. Both new faces are also terrible. Auron and Lulu are great though (except Auron's weird looking ears).

Battle system wise I didn't find selection and cancelling as snappy as I hoped. You get used to it, but it's definitely not as a quick to cancel options as other games.

Arthea

I guess this would be a good time to ask what you think the slowest is then and why. For me, part of it is the summons (which I know can be shortened, so not an issue (and the Vita version has an in-battle toggle)), part of it is the animations for every enemy and the reading of their moves, and part of it is still the issue of how long it takes to get into battles. It's much improved over the original, but it's still lengthy... and waiting for Wakka's ball to come back lol

I'm not even saying it's necessarily a bad thing (it's certainly tolerable); more like I would put it on a scale that has a small range of 1 (slow) - 3 (fast), with X being a 1 in the grand scheme of things. IX was not that slow, and I say this having replayed it the past year because of the annual PSN $5 FF sale.

9 is much slower, all older ones are actually slower too, even 8 is slower. Than again I play not on Vita, but on PS3, to get into battles isn't slow for me.

I believe you can go to config and skip the summoning animation.

I can? My blindness strikes again, I haven't noticed. Then again I use summons rarely, so that's not much of a problem, will try to switch animations off, if I can find where to do that (><)

Son Of D

IX is really slow. Taking longer than it needs to start the battle, the slow atb and the slow animations can make it tedious to get through

I played through IX earlier in the month and I bought the US version so it wasn't PAL slowness.

Prototype

aaaaannnnnndd.. I'm done with 10.

As in, i hate the game. Not interested in finishing it. Tidus is the stupidest protagonist in the series and is also the worst deigned. His outfit is beyond dumb. Just looking at it makes me want to snap the disc in half. Wakka is annoying and I hate seeing his face and hearing his voice, ya? The only characters I like are Yuna, Riku and Lulu. I even dislike Auron, with this 1 arm in the sleeve thing, this terrible glasses, the jug, and his turtle neck coat, as well as the fact the he's supposed to the "cool" character all make me angry. I remember why i didn't play this to completion back in the day now. FF10 is up for worst cast in an FF game. Can't think of another group of FF characters that are as bad. Also, everytime I try to take the story seriously and I am reminded that calling the monster that is destroying the world "sin" is about as ham-fisted as it gets.
edit: even Lulu loses all cool factor once you realize that
wakka hooks up with her and they are a "thing", seems to make no sense as their personalities don't match at all, seems very VERY forced
Which leaves me with Yuna a.k.a a summon on the screen, and Riku, who i actually have no complaints about. She rocks and is the one fully redeeming character in FF10.

Going to play X-2. This game, I actually enjoyed, it's light hearted and has only 3 characters, all of which I like and the battle system is better and far more interesting. Also Yuna looks much better, her summon garb always look rather generic to me. in X-2 at least she has style.

Arthea

As in, i hate the game. Not interested in finishing it. Tidus is the stupidest protagonist in the series and is also the worst deigned. His outfit is beyond dumb. Wakka is annoying and I hate seeing his face and hearing his voice, ya? The only characters I like are Yuna, Riku and Lulu. I even dislike Auron, with this 1 arm in the sleeve thing, this terrible glasses, the jug, and his turtle neck coat, as well as the fact the he's supposed to the "cool" character all make me angry. I remember why i didn't play this to completion back in the day now. FF10 is up for worst cast in an FF game. Can't think of another group of FF characters that are as bad. Also, everytime I try to take the story seriously and I am reminded that calling the monster that is destroying the world "sin" is about as ham-fisted as it gets.

Going to play X-2. This game, I actually enjoyed, it's light hearted and has only 3 characters, all of which I like and the battle system is better and far more interesting. Also Yuna looks much better, her summon garb always look rather generic to me. in X-2 at least she has style.

It's a pity, really, inspite of its shortcomings I think FFX is one of the best PS2 games and cast is really good, as in characters are nicely developed, lore is great and explained in calm and nice manner. Also I can't believe you hate Auron... you take that back, please.

FFX-2 is fun, but that takes nothing from FFX as these are very different games.

Thoraxes

9 is much slower, all older ones are actually slower too, even 8 is slower. Than again I play not on Vita, but on PS3, to get into battles isn't slow for me.

I can? My blindness strikes again, I haven't noticed. Then again I use summons rarely, so that's not much of a problem, will try to switch animations off, if I can find where to do that (><)
Yeah you can change that setting. I flip between versions too and for the most part there's parity on these things, outside of the sometimes low framerate on cutscenes on the Vita version.

And yeah, I would put IX just a little ahead of X. I a lot of what helps alleviate these "symptoms" I have is that in those older games you still had the ability to input commands while the other characters would be enacting their battle animations/turns, which for me is a more engaging experience.
IX is really slow. Taking longer than it needs to start the battle, the slow atb and the slow animations can make it tedious to get through

I played through IX earlier in the month and I bought the US version so it wasn't PAL slowness.

Interesting difference of opinions. I definitely agree on the battle starts for sure; it always felt like they were trying to showcase their great 3D battlefields in that game lol

Oh God. They don't have skippable cutscenes? It's been so long since I played I forgot. Welp. One on the fence purchase averted. Price was already holding me back but man, the cutscene thing is a deal breaker.

Thoraxes

Oh God. They don't have skippable cutscenes? It's been so long since I played I forgot. Welp. One on the fence purchase averted. Price was already holding me back but man, the cutscene thing is a deal breaker.

Correct. You can button through some dialogue lines, but about 95% of the game doesn't allow for it at all; you have to sit through almost all of the voice acting.

Prototype

It's a pity, really, inspite of its shortcomings I think FFX is one of the best PS2 games and cast is really good, as in characters are nicely developed, lore is great and explained in calm and nice manner. Also I can't believe you hate Auron... you take that back, please.

FFX-2 is fun, but that takes nothing from FFX as these are very different games.

different strokes for different folks i guess. It's just how I feel. The world does seem well designed... and really this whole line of thought is off. Let me start over:

The game itself, the mechanics, world, lore, pacing, ect, those all seem to be great. No fundamental flaws. It's the aesthetics that bother me. I don't like how the characters look, their designs. It's just a matter of my personal taste and is not indicative of the game itself as it's a subjective judgement. Like you think Auron looks cool, that's great. You're not wrong. To you he is cool. I can't (and won't) argue that point, because there isn't a point. My complaints are largely based on personal/subjective things about the game. Can't please every one! edit: the characters, which I'm supposed to be identifying with, all look terrible to me and it prevents me from liking them and investing any care or respect for their plights.

PS3 version charted at #3
Vita version charted at #9 (!)

in the UK last week

nice.

I hope it sells really well. Even though I don't like the game I hope the sales convince SE to remaster 12 and bring the Zodiac job system to the US. I really liked 12.

As in, i hate the game. Not interested in finishing it. Tidus is the stupidest protagonist in the series and is also the worst deigned. His outfit is beyond dumb. Just looking at it makes me want to snap the disc in half. Wakka is annoying and I hate seeing his face and hearing his voice, ya? The only characters I like are Yuna, Riku and Lulu. I even dislike Auron, with this 1 arm in the sleeve thing, this terrible glasses, the jug, and his turtle neck coat, as well as the fact the he's supposed to the "cool" character all make me angry. I remember why i didn't play this to completion back in the day now. FF10 is up for worst cast in an FF game. Can't think of another group of FF characters that are as bad. Also, everytime I try to take the story seriously and I am reminded that calling the monster that is destroying the world "sin" is about as ham-fisted as it gets.
edit: even Lulu loses all cool factor once you realize that
wakka hooks up with her and they are a "thing", seems to make no sense as their personalities don't match at all, seems very VERY forced
Which leaves me with Yuna a.k.a a summon on the screen, and Riku, who i actually have no complaints about. She rocks and is the one fully redeeming character in FF10.

Not gonna agree/disagree because I don't have the new version yet - I remember liking it at the time. Tidus is pretty dumb, but I feel like that's one of those tropes, the dumb hero. (Like Goku)

But I remember my mind was blown when I found out that Wakka and Kimahri were both voiced by the guy who voiced Bender.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Anyone know the best place to buy this for Vita in person in the UK? Seeing how rate Vita games are these days I didn't want to make a journey anywhere to find they weren't stocking it.

Tiu Neo

How tf
Is Gatta still alive? I told that motherfucker to go fight on the front lines ugh!

I told him to (Operation Mi'ihem spoilers)
stay at the command center and he is still alive too. He's like a cockroach, won't die. I liked Luzzu more :(

Loke13

Does Tidus have ADHD? The characters make comments about him being jittery in Djose Temple and he can be be seen in the background of some cut scenes either throwing air punches or jogging in place.

Hystzen

Changing blitzball players pffff keep the original team you be stomping in no time no need recruit anybody else apart from Wakka

ramyeon

My blitz team is destroying now. With Brother and Tidus combo I can easily get like 4-5 goals per half. Brother gets the ball and since he's so fast I just swim down to the bottom edge and wrap around towards the opponent's goals, no one can catch him and if they do he has such good END he can break through them anyway. Then once Tidus is in position nice and close to the goal I pass to him, then Jecht Shot. Works every time.

Top Bottom