• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Holmes

I'm farming for Triple AP weapons with One Eye at the moment, and since my stats leave much to be desired, I'm summoning the Magus Sisters and just hoping that it works out. It usually does, but when it goes wrong, it's pretty bad. Like constant Shockwaves from One Eye, and the sisters constantly taking breaks. Come on, girls.

You kidding, right? Of course, it's slower than X-2, any battle system is slower than X-2, but slowest? Not even close! It's fast and controls are snappy and responsive. What can make it feel slow, summons, if you use them a lot, then yes, it feels slow, because summoning process is long.

idk, normal attack is fast and snappy but everything else is unnecessarily slow, from the long spell casting animations to quite possibly the longest item using animation in games... i just don't see the point. Makes it seem like no one gives a fuck about this fight, and everyone is just so lazy.

Arthea

idk, normal attack is fast and snappy but everything else is unnecessarily slow, from the long spell casting animations to quite possibly the longest item using animation in games... i just don't see the point. Makes it seem like no one gives a fuck about this fight, and everyone is just so lazy.

You have only one pure caster, two if we count Yuna, who usually gets some time only for healing purposes, most of characters are pretty much melee ones. I don't understand your problem, really. By items being slow, you probably talk about Rikku mixes, don't you? That's one overpowered skill, getting to wait some is OK, or we would use it way too much (><)

You have only one pure caster, two if we count Yuna, who usually gets some time only for healing purposes, most of characters are pretty much melee ones. I don't understand your problem, really. By items being slow, you probably talk about Rikku mixes, don't you? That's one overpowered skill, getting to wait some is OK, or we would use it way too much (><)

the extra 1-2 seconds of the dudes searching their pockets before throwing up the item to use, like a potion.

btw: how do you get aoe spells in this? Been a long while since i've played a FF game where all spells didn't have an aoe option.

Apathy

My biggest beef is with the cutscenes (and unskippable dialogue too) though, especially when it was fixed in something like KH 1.5 HD. I usually just go to the bathroom or walk down to the kitchen for a drink when they start playing.

The battle-system complaints though are the least of my problems, but to prepare for the optional content when I near the end of the game I suppose it'll become more of an issue. I only get about 2 hours to play each night because of my job so to have things brought more up to modern standards when they're remaking them with all these lessons already learned in 2013-14 would've been a bonus with me. The no-loading times thing though, I totally agree on. It's nice and quick getting into and out of battles.

I always personally felt the battle-system in X was really slow though (probably the slowest in the series), especially when compared to something like its sequel X-2 which had the right amount of everything in it. Maybe placing next to it's direct sequel heightens those feelings though.

Just go replay 9. That battle system is slow as fuck. I was playing it just before x/x-2 came out and I remembered why I hate 9. Everyone that praises it forgets or is looking at it through rose colored glasses, but 9's battle system is just so painfully slow. 10's by comparison is quick and to the point.

Shiina

Just go replay 9. That battle system is slow as fuck. I was playing it just before x/x-2 came out and I remembered why I hate 9. Everyone that praises it forgets or is looking at it through rose colored glasses, but 9's battle system is just so painfully slow. 10's by comparison is quick and to the point.

IX's is not that bad if you play the NTSC version. PAL is horrible, though.

My third blitzball game (*´&#969;&#65344;*)
2014-03-24-145657pjjva.jpg

Magnus

was getting bored of X, and booted up x-2 (never played that before)... and wtf, everything is crazy, and combat actually seems fast and fun with fast atb and chains and job switching.

i dont wanna go back to x.

X-2 is such a fascinating and awesome experience when immediately played after X. If you can see past the J-Pop exterior, it's amazing to see how the world has grown, changed and expanded following the events of X; it's amazing to see how Yuna herself has changed and grown (again, flashy exterior aside); and gameplay-wise, it's night and day compared to X - hyper non-linearity vs. hyper linearity, and the best and fastest ATB yet compared to the predictable/boring-as-mud CTB.

It's such a bizarre, perfect complement to the X experience.

I'm so over X's battle system again. It's so rock-paper-scissors, especially early on, and while the UI/responsiveness is fast and snappy, it's quite frankly boring. CTB is a snore compared to ATB. Total backward step.

Soo despite me having spend too much on gaming already in March I decided to trade in some of my old 360 games at Gamestop last Friday to get the Vita version of FFX/2 HD and dear god that was one of the best gaming purchases I made in recent memory!

I still have my original PS2 copies of both here and played them alot during the time the games got released but for some reason they were both games I never replayed and only after starting FFX HD I suddenly began to realize how much I missed playing that game and I won't even deny that a ton of nostalgia might be involved :p But seriously as soon as I stepped onto Besaid Island and heard the glorious rearrange of the theme I simply felt happy :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTjsokp7f4A

Apparently especially this track has alot of controversy going around it by people claiming it ruined the original rendition but I for myself like both equally. Yes the violins might cause some throwbacks to FFXIII but I feel that the original is a nice upbeat song that fits the mood of Besaid while the new one is tranquil and makes me want to lie down on a beach under palms which also fits the mood.

At first I was a bit thorn between the Vita and PS3 version but playing it on the actual hardware with the OLED I don't feel like playing a gimped version at all, everything is crisp and nice even with the lower-res textures and the FMVs pop nicely. Also I'm simply having fun triggering every line of dialog and speaking with every NPC exploring every nook and cranny, heck FFX might be the first game I platinum who knows :p

Though one decision I regret a bit at the moment is picking the Expert Sphere Grid this time around. I thought being 10 years older by now I finally could wrap my head around it but what the heck should I do with Kimahri? He seems so lost on the Sphere Grid so I guess I have to make him go along with one of the other characters?

EDIT: The only thing I'm really bummed about is that X-2 is a 3.4GB download, my poor Vita only has 8GB. I really feel that Square should have gone out their way and produce two Vita game-cards in one box though I guess it would have been expensive :/

Kysen

Is there any place I can import X-2 physical to the UK? My main account is JP on Vita so the download code is useless to me. Also I am trying to find the piggyback guides online as I have long since lost my copies.

but what the heck should I do with Kimahri? He seems so lost on the Sphere Grid so I guess I have to make him go along with one of the other characters?

Yea, generally speaking you have four choices with where you want Kimahri to go (you usually only have lvl 1 key spheres by the time he needs to advance further)

-Lulu's path (BLM)
-Tidus's path (DPS/Support)
-Wakkas path (DPS/Enfeebles)
-Rikku's path (Agility/Steal)

I like taking him down Wakkas path.

Shiina

Though one decision I regret a bit at the moment is picking the Expert Sphere Grid this time around. I thought being 10 years older by now I finally could wrap my head around it but what the heck should I do with Kimahri? He seems so lost on the Sphere Grid so I guess I have to make him go along with one of the other characters?

Kimahri is a blue mage so he's kind of a mish mash between everything. With the expert grid you can develop him how you want. Right where he starts is a lvl 1 block sphere and you get your first lvl 1 key in the Mi'ihen inn. Removing the block will get you to Steal and Use, both of which are great abilities that you only get later in the game. Might be a good idea to wait with him until you can remove the block and get those. From there you could get Haste from Tidus' path and then maybe go down Auron's path to get him some strength.
I generally never use Kimahri, though.

Is there any place I can import X-2 physical to the UK? My main account is JP on Vita so the download code is useless to me. Also I am trying to find the piggyback guides online as I have long since lost my copies.

Play-Asia has physical X-2 copies in English but don't expect them to be cheap.

That Blitzball game against the Luca Goers is brutal. I can't win.

Try just passing around during the first half to gain experience with everyone, then assign Jecht Shot to Tidus' ability slot you get when you level up during half time and then try to engage two players in front of the enemy goal and use Jecht Shot to score a goal. If you didn't get Jecht Shot on the ship you could try to score a goal with Sphere Shot but it's more difficult. Make sure to hurry with the Jecht Shot before Wakka comes back on the field.

Mesoian

IX's is not that bad if you play the NTSC version. PAL is horrible, though.

My third blitzball game (*´&#969;&#65344;*)

Don't worry, it'll click.

I'm almost 100% convinced that it's impossible to win that first blitzball game though. Can't assign Jehct shot before the game starts, get ONE use of it due to Tidus's HP. Tidus still leaves the game and brings in Wakka who's stats are far worse...I feel like losing 2 to 3 was a victory in an of itself.

Also, did the combat engine get tweeked at all? I got up to the aeon battle before the Shoopuff last night, Regina King cast haste on Thunderhorse, I did ifrits limit break, 3.4k damage, but it's almost dead, Thunderhorse gets 11, COUNT'EM 11 turns. I never encountered anything like that on the PS2 version.

Mesoian

Kimahri is a blue mage so he's kind of a mish mash between everything. With the expert grid you can develop him how you want. Right where he starts is a lvl 1 block sphere and you get your first lvl 1 key in the Mi'ihen inn. Removing the block will get you to Steal and Use, both of which are great abilities that you only get later in the game. Might be a good idea to wait with him until you can remove the block and get those. From there you could get Haste from Tidus' path and then maybe go down Auron's path to get him some strength.

I did the same thing I did with him 10 years ago, get him out of his track as soon s possible and get him into Auron's so I have two people with decent piercing. Accidently giving him Dark attack seems to be have been a blessing in disguise as dark attack seems to work WAY better now than it did 10 years ago.

Yea, generally speaking you have four choices with where you want Kimahri to go (you usually only have lvl 1 key spheres by the time he needs to advance further)

-Lulu's path (BLM)

Actually, Rikku's path is locked behind a level 2 key sphere now thanks to the new pilfer gil skill, so you really only have three choices. I planning on picking Wakka's path with Rikku's path locked out for me.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Also, did the combat engine get tweeked at all? I got up to the aeon battle before the Shoopuff last night, Regina King cast haste on Thunderhorse, I did ifrits limit break, 3.4k damage, but it's almost dead, Thunderhorse gets 11, COUNT'EM 11 turns. I never encountered anything like that on the PS2 version.

IIRC, Thunderhorse is faster than Fireimp as is, and then using your overdrive would give him 3-4 turns naturally, so 11 isn't too out of the imagination with haste. They didn't change any mechanics for the remaster, but maybe International increased overdrive delay? Highly doubt that, though.

Shiina

I'm almost 100% convinced that it's impossible to win that first blitzball game though. Can't assign Jehct shot before the game starts, get ONE use of it due to Tidus's HP. Tidus still leaves the game and brings in Wakka who's stats are far worse...I feel like losing 2 to 3 was a victory in an of itself.

Huh? I won that game 8:0. And I won the first Luca Goers match 2:0 as well.

Actually, Rikku's path is locked behind a level 2 key sphere now thanks to the new pilfer gil skill, so you really only have three choices. I planning on picking Wakka's path with Rikku's path locked out for me.

There's two ways to get to her path though. The first is the way you mentioned, but the other you would use two lvl 1 key spheres (The path just below the lvl 2 lock/pilfer gil).

XJF

SOOOOO much I want to finish in this game today! Let's do it!

Is there an Extract Fortune skill on the grid somewhere?

Arthea

X-2 is such a fascinating and awesome experience when immediately played after X. If you can see past the J-Pop exterior, it's amazing to see how the world has grown, changed and expanded following the events of X; it's amazing to see how Yuna herself has changed and grown (again, flashy exterior aside); and gameplay-wise, it's night and day compared to X - hyper non-linearity vs. hyper linearity, and the best and fastest ATB yet compared to the predictable/boring-as-mud CTB.

It's such a bizarre, perfect complement to the X experience.

I'm so over X's battle system again. It's so rock-paper-scissors, especially early on, and while the UI/responsiveness is fast and snappy, it's quite frankly boring. CTB is a snore compared to ATB. Total backward step.

I like both games and both battle systems for different reasons.
FFX bs is good, it can be not up to your tastes, but it's good, especially later in game with all strategic character ordering and switching.

-Lulu's path (BLM)
-Rikku's path (Agility/Steal)

Hmm I see thanks for the list of possible paths! :)

Ah so I can kinda add the good parts from alot of characters to Kimahri before I take him down one definite route now that's interesting :eek: I will try that I guess and then see if I go with Auron or Wakka, thanks! And speaking of that I don't remember me using Kimahri alot on my PS2 either back then o.o Though my first half-playthrough of FFX was odd anyway as I didn't have the money to buy a PS2 memory-card and tried to beat the game without saving once over the weekend which was funny but didn't work out :p

And I see things haven't changed much...
it's still 80&#8364; for a 32GB Vita memory card, oh dear Sony... =_=

Try just passing around during the first half to gain experience with everyone, then assign Jecht Shot to Tidus' ability slot you get when you level up during half time and then try to engage two players in front of the enemy goal and use Jecht Shot to score a goal. If you didn't get Jecht Shot on the ship you could try to score a goal with Sphere Shot but it's more difficult. Make sure to hurry with the Jecht Shot before Wakka comes back on the field.

Thanks. I'll give this a try next time I play.

Shiina

8:0. You must have been very lucky with the RNG to be able to score that many times in the first game. How was your score count divided, and how many did your score per period?

That 8:0 (4 (almost got a 5th but halftime came during the shot)) first half, 4 second half) was my third blitzball game. The Luca tournament game I won 2:0. I shot one during the first half and then I got another one with Jecht Shot during the second. I remember winning 3:0 or 3:1 on my PS2.

And I see things haven't changed much...
it's still 80&#8364; for a 32GB Vita memory card, oh dear Sony... =_=

The Yen is really weak right now. You could import a 64GB card for 68&#8364; plus shipping. I've heard they mark down so maybe if you ask them nicely you could avoid customs fees.

The Piggyback guides are generally far better than the Bradygames ones (in content and paper quality). They're old so they probably cost a bit new but maybe you can find used ones in good condition somewhere.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/190351133X/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1903511534/

Just ordered a X-2 piggyback guide from Amazon.co.uk myself. $10 off what it would have cost from Amazon (US) even with international shipping. I can gamefaqs or Youtube for Dark Aeon strats.

those Piggyback guides go for a pretty penny, my FFX Bradygames will have to do...

marrec

Banned

In my experience it seems that the Goers score 1 goal almost every time in the first half. I never worried about answering that goal in the first half and just concentrated on passing to increase experience. Then in the second half I equipped Jecht Shot and scored with Tidus at around 2:30. The Goers then get the ball and are unable to score before Wakka comes on. I get the ball when Wakka comes on and pass it around until he's free for a shot and score a goal. This usually leaves about 15-30 seconds left in the game and I win 2-1.

Works EVERY TIME... seemingly anyway.

No, they won the first game 2-0. 8-0 is referring to the other game.

That 8:0 (4 (almost got a 5th but halftime came during the shot)) first half, 4 second half) was my third blitzball game. The Luca tournament game I won 2:0. I shot one during the first half and then I got another one with Jecht Shot during the second. I remember winning 3:0 or 3:1 on my PS2.

That makes more sense. Got a little confused by the wording.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I remember the launch, yes. A lot of things in this game, imo, don't hold up with the expectations we had of a Final Fantasy game. I mean, no world map? Linear story? WTF is this level up system? Even the voice acting did affect some things in the game.

At least for me, I learned to love the game for what it was, and not as a Final Fantasy game compared to the ones before it. Maybe that's why I think XIII is not as bad, too (it has some of the same flaws X has, but has different strong points).

I wonder if something like this will happen with XIII too.

I kind of think the "you just didn't like it because you were expecting something else" excuse is bogus.

I dislike X and it's not because of the no world map/linear story/sphere grid. I mostly just thought the characters and writing were insufferable, especially Tidus. There are some interesting bits to the plot, but you are forced to experience it through the eyes of this douchebag who loudly advertises his ignorance at every possible opportunity, just so the other characters have an excuse to explain things to you.

Overall I just think the game is disrespectful toward the gamer. You play the idiot that everybody else talks down to. Plus it wastes your time with garbage that is neither fun nor particularly challenging, just annoying and tedious (dodging lightning bolts, racing a chocobo while getting attacked by birds/blitzballs, being forced to swap in all 7 party members for each battle in order to get AP for everybody, all the cloisters of trials, etc.)

I managed to enjoy X in 2002 even though I thought it was somewhat overrated. Just picked up X HD 12 years later and I can't even force myself to keep playing. And this is coming from someone who actually liked XIII (and V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, XII).

Arthea

In my experience it seems that the Goers score 1 goal almost every time in the first half. I never worried about answering that goal in the second half and just concentrated on passing to increase experience. Then in the second half I equipped Jecht Shot and scored with Tidus at around 2:30. The Goers then get the ball and are unable to score before Wakka comes on. I get the ball when Wakka comes on and pass it around until he's free for a shot and score a goal. This usually leaves about 15-30 seconds left in the game and I win 2-1.

Works EVERY TIME... seemingly anyway.

ya, that's exactly how I won this game both times. Can it be that it's only way to win it? When I tried to score a bit earlier in second half, we went into overtime and situation got out of control, I lost it, of course.

edited: decided to elaborate on why I scored early, I was hoping to score with Tidus 2 times, but it didn't work, he had very low hp afterwards and when I tried to shoot one more time, jecht shot wasn't even an option to choose, he just made simple shot, and we all know how those go.

Cornbread78

In the long run it's meaningless, yeah.

I dunno, how much is your Pride worth? #forcapnwakka

you gain strength sphere, actually, and if you lose, you lose your pride... for the rest of the game it will taunt you.

Well, I gues I'll live on then, lol. I made a seoperate save just before it just in case, but I guess I'm safe, so I'll just keep my head high and act like I've been there before with swag....

Man I forgot just how much of a beast brother is in blitzball. He just dominates the midfield. I haven't played any blitzball at all until I got the airship but I hired some people and my team looks like this

FW: Tidus
FW: Wakka
MF: Brother
LD: Wedge
RD: Naida
GK: Jumal

Once the Al bhed psyches release Nimrook my team will be perfect

XJF

Man I forgot just how much of a beast brother is in blitzball. He just dominates the midfield. I haven't played any blitzball at all until I got the airship but I hired some people and my team looks like this

I use Wedge over Wakka. Stats with higher SH. 7 games away from the Sigil, then I'm done with Blitz forevaaaaaa

Arthea

you mean if, surely

Wedge is good as an attacker ealry on but his other stats will take over and he becomes a really good defender so I have put him there from the start. By the time he reaches max level he is the second best keeper in the game

you mean if, surely

I'm holding out hope that they release him as soon as his contract expires. If they don't then it's not too bad as I have Jumal. It's not like the opposition can get close to my goal anyway lol

Levyne

Banned
I remember getting people to 99 or near 99 on the PS2 version but no way I'm doing that now. Never gonna blitz again EVER

Until the 4k re-re-release

I'm holding out hope that they release him as soon as his contract expires. If they don't then it's not too bad as I have Jumal. It's not like the opposition can get close to my goal anyway lol

Seriously. I hired that team a couple dozen pages back that you can get pretty much immediately after blitzball is unlocked, and now I'm having a terrible time getting shot techs because no one can get a shot off on me...

XJF

So here's a question, how is blitzball in 10-2? I never played it because I had had quite enough of it in 10.

I believe it's a stripped down version of X's. Almost all automated. No more "manual" control option. Nowhere near as good. And IIRC, you don't have to WIN a match to 100%, luckily

I'm referring to Vanilla X-2. They may have changed it in the I+LM version.

You didn't say how far you want to go, but Brother and Wedge both seriously tail off at higher levels.

I'm currently using Tidus and Datto as forwards, Jassu as Midfielder, Ropp and Botta as defenders, and Kyou as defense. I love this side-game way more than I should. My ideal party would replace Datto, Jassu, Botta, and Kyou with Larbeight, Mifurey, Kulukan, and Nimrook.

I don't know why I do that though, it's not like the game isn't really easy once you have even one good defender.

pariah164

Speaking of the Luzzu/Gatta discussion from earlier, this was the first time I ever managed to get
Gatta
to croak.

But the sad thing is, I really don't care, lol. Yes, Luzzu is a smidgen cooler, but I like Lucil and Elma better than those two. Lucil/Elma OTP.

Top Bottom