• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Scuderia

It's been so long since i've played this, but is it a good idea to teach Yuna all the black magic, and not really use Lulu at all? Seem to remember Yuna having better base magic

I've only just got to Kilika.

Holmes

When I was capturing 10 of every fiend, I was just doing it with Auron to get Don Tonberry's karma to 99,999. So I did it until it said "can't capture any more" for every fiend in the area, which wasn't really a waste because all the extra kills still went to powering up Don Tonberry's karma.

Shahed

Dear Developer who made Chocobo Training,

Screw You.

Love,
Literally. Everyone. Ever.

The problem with Chocobo Training, the baloon race and the Remiem Temple stuff is all the same thing. The inability to control your Chocobo properly.

I don't mind the luck aspect. In fact I'd prefer it if they make it worse in where the baloons spawn. On top of that I'd prefer it if they made it harder by giving you less leeway with time and the like. All as long as you could have free control and let your skill make the difference. Sometimes I'd go outside the first bird and inside the next no problem. The next time the chocobo auto straightens when I move left or right and hits a bird or the side wall. Then there's the awful way the sometimes auto move you when the camera changes that makes me miss baloons, and at times go in the complete wrong direction. If it happened all the time, then you could adjust. But it's completely random as far as I can tell

Didn't take me long to do either, but it's an exexercise in frustration when you have to hope the chocobo moves the way you want it to. It's just atrocious level/game design plain and simple
When I was capturing 10 of every fiend, I was just doing it with Auron to get Don Tonberry's karma to 99,999. So I did it until it said "can't capture any more" for every fiend in the area, which wasn't really a waste because all the extra kills still went to powering up Don Tonberry's karma.

I prefer doing it with Tidus. Not only does he also get a lot of kills throughout the game, but his extra speed means he'd get more turns in against the Don.

ZeroX03

Banned
The problem with Chocobo Training, the baloon race and the Remiem Temple stuff is all the same thing. The inability to control your Chocobo properly.

I don't mind the luck aspect. In fact I'd prefer it if they make it worse in where the baloons spawn. On top of that I'd prefer it if they made it harder by giving you less leeway with time and the like. All as long as you could have free control and let your skill make the difference. Sometimes I'd go outside the first bird and inside the next no problem. The next time the chocobo auto straightens when I move left or right and hits a bird or the side wall. Then there's the awful way the sometimes auto move you when the camera changes that makes me miss baloons, and at times go in the complete wrong direction. If it happened all the time, then you could adjust. But it's completely random as far as I can tell

Didn't take me long to do either, but it's an exexercise in frustration when you have to hope the chocobo moves the way you want it to. It's just atrocious level/game design plain and simple

Remiem Temple has no luck, once you adjust your movements to the strange camera you can get it every time.

Chocobo hyper dodger or whatever it's called, it has the problem of poor and inconsistent controls combined with the random chance of the balloon and bird placement.

ZeroX03

Banned
Which is more difficult? The Chocobo balloon race or the temple race? (If you are aiming for the trophy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyamu6xg0H4

If you follow this video you can get temple race easily. You can even hit the poles. Balloon race is harder because of the random element and weaker controls.

Only thing I've got left to do in X is the sphere grid and optional bosses. Thinking I might put that on the backburner and move on to my first playthrough of X-2, decisions, decisions.

Falk

that puzzling face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyamu6xg0H4

If you follow this video you can get temple race easily. You can even hit the poles. Balloon race is harder because of the random element and weaker controls.

Only thing I've got left to do in X is the sphere grid and optional bosses. Thinking I might put that on the backburner and move on to my first playthrough of X-2, decisions, decisions.

It's pretty hard to go back to a game just to platinum it.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's pretty hard to go back to a game just to platinum it.

But I'd enjoy it? And have done so many times? The grind for the optional stuff is long if you aren't willing to Yojimbo cheese, I just think I'd prefer breaking up my grinding time. Also waiting on a Vita slim to arrive with better battery life (I have it on both systems), Vita is more suited for grinding for me. I dunno, watching the intro to X-2 just made me want to jump to it straight away lol.

Oh, I remember people on here saying it was only for that one event... Hmm. I really don't wanna donate 10,001 to him - that's a lot of gil that early in the game. D:

I did it without grinding for anything. I found that I didn't ever need to buy anything early game anyway because I got better equipment from enemy drops and treasure.

I remember people saying that too, but the discount definitely endures.

Shahed

Remiem Temple has no luck, once you adjust your movements to the strange camera you can get it every time.

Chocobo hyper dodger or whatever it's called, it has the problem of poor and inconsistent controls combined with the random chance of the balloon and bird placement.

I dunno, I felt the controls were just as inconsistent. There were enough times when the chocobo would be facing and going right into a wall when I was trying to bank left. It would eventually respond but quite often suddenly overcorrect into the other wall. When going up the hill after the first chest by holding forward the camera changes angle when you get up. It would either readjust and send me forward into the wall based on the new angle, or at other times continue moving in the direction it was already going. If it did one or the other all the time that's fine, but doing either or means you can't plan for these

ZeroX03

Banned
I dunno, I felt the controls were just as inconsistent. There were enough times when the chocobo would be facing and going right into a wall when I was trying to bank left. It would eventually respond but quite often suddenly overcorrect into the other wall. When going up the hill after the first chest by holding forward the camera changes angle when you get up. It would either readjust and send me forward into the wall based on the new angle, or at other times continue moving in the direction it was already going. If it did one or the other all the time that's fine, but doing either or means you can't plan for these

Nope. The direction the Chocobo runs doesn't always match the stick, but there's no random wobble or invisible barriers like in the race. If you know when to adjust the direction of your stick (as it won't match the camera) you'll be fine. You can plan for all the strange changes in directions if you're following the same path every time, there's no variation. As soon as I figured I should be holding [up + left] after landing from most jumps - even though you think you should be holding [up + right] judging by the camera - everything was fine and the Chocobo went straight without diversion.

Falk

that puzzling face
But I'd enjoy it? And have done so many times? The grind for the optional stuff is long if you aren't willing to Yojimbo cheese, I just think I'd prefer breaking up my grinding time. Also waiting on a Vita slim to arrive with better battery life (I have it on both systems), Vita is more suited for grinding for me. I dunno, watching the intro to X-2 just made me want to jump to it straight away lol.

Well, even to comfortably beat Nemesis/Penance you don't need Break HP Limit, so you don't need to fill out every single node on the sphere grid, then activate every single one.

Unless you're saying you find -that- enjoyable.

In which case you're my best bro because I went back to Disgaea 3 and 4 after months of abstinence to platinum -those-.

edit: phrasing

Levyne

Banned
But filling every node on the sphere grid is required to platinum. Though maybe it would take less time if you didn't use clear spheres and just filled the gaps. I dunno if that would make you strong enough for penance, though.

Windforce

I jsut defeated
Yunalesca and got access to the airship
, but my party is really underpowered. Mostly relied on pre-charged Aeon overdrives for all bosses, just really using Yuna, Tidus (for Haste/ga) and Lulu to help Yuna/Aeons deal damage.

My characters have around 3K HP.

What is a good/effective spot to grind now? Or which item/Aeon should I focus on getting now that will make me overpowered the sooner?

Thanks guys.

ZeroX03

Banned
Well, even to comfortably beat Nemesis/Penance you don't need Break HP Limit, so you don't need to fill out every single node on the sphere grid, then activate every single one.

Unless you're saying you find -that- enjoyable.

In which case you're my best bro because I went back to Disgaea 3 and 4 after months of abstinence to platinum -those-.

edit: phrasing

Break HP Limit isn't necessary but damn do I want to see that 99,999 on my character's HP. Feel like it would be so satisfying. I could probably power grind + Yojimbo my way in a few days... But the satisfaction of using my own two hands...

There's no trophy guide for X-2 yet though, which is putting me off because it's a considerably more fickle game than X. Maybe just a casual New Yevon playthrough to pass the time.

PS. I have Disgaea 3 and a bunch of Atelier and Tales games waiting for me to Platinum too lol.

Shahed

I got Attack Reels straightaway. Now to go for the rest of Wakka's Overdrives and Sigil. Mind numbing tedium awaits...

Considering I just plan on blasting through as fast as possible and resetting when necessary, a team of Tidus, Wedge, Brother, Kyou, Ropp and Jumal is the best right?

Holmes

Break HP Limit isn't necessary but damn do I want to see that 99,999 on my character's HP. Feel like it would be so satisfying. I could probably power grind + Yojimbo my way in a few days... But the satisfaction of using my own two hands...

There's no trophy guide for X-2 yet though, which is putting me off because it's a considerably more fickle game than X. Maybe just a casual New Yevon playthrough to pass the time.

PS. I have Disgaea 3 and a bunch of Atelier and Tales games waiting for me to Platinum too lol.
You've played X-2 before, yes? You should just be able to look at X-2's trophies and know which ones are missable. So just plan accordingly.

Holy shit, I went from complete shit on the chocobo race to 0.0, Knew I could do it since I did it when I was younger! Now maybe this time I can remember to save...

Shahed

Just go catch monsters in each area. Look up how to get Celestial Weapons for Wakka, Tidus, Rikku, Auron and Lulu since they don't require hard battles at all. Think of going to the Cloisters at Kilika and Djose for some stat spheres. You could also try the ones at Baaj and Sunken Cave if you've unlocked them

Levyne

Banned

You could fight cactuars in the desert, they are pretty common in their villiage area, but you'd have to complete the sidequest where you chase them about first. You'd probably want a no encounters item before you do that, which you can get from ghosts in the same cavern as yojimbo.

Otherwise, if you plan to tackle side content, you could just decide on a party of 3 and start capturing monsters. Going from Besaid though Gagazet should give them a fair amount of levels, but would take awhile.

MSMrRound

Just got rid of
Dark Valefor

I can't seem to return to the Besaid Temple for the item (Yuna's rod) that I missed...is there anything that I should do?

Just got rid of
Dark Valefor

I can't seem to return to the Besaid Temple for the item (Yuna's rod) that I missed...is there anything that I should do?

Is some guy blocking the entrance? You need to go to use the airship to goto the high bridge (i think that's what it's called) and watch all the cutscenes and then you're allowed to enter temples again.

On a side note: Fuck dodging lightning... I keep making it to like 180 and then missing.. I'm about to delete my save data and crush the cart with a hammer.

MSMrRound

Is some guy blocking the entrance? You need to go to use the airship to goto the high bridge (i think that's what it's called) and watch all the cutscenes and then you're allowed to enter temples again.

That's probably it. Thanks for the reply. 200k+ gone for the Zanmato required to dispatch of that obstacle. It should be worth it...I hope.

Son Of D

Which is more difficult? The Chocobo balloon race or the temple race? (If you are aiming for the trophy)

Definitely the balloon race. Since there's a lot of RNG involved with how you do. The temple race is difficult if you want the Three Stars reward which means no poles allowed, but once you get into the swing of things you can get it done.

Holmes

Seriously fuck the Remiem Temple chocobo race. Every time, I land right behind the other chocobo after the fifth chest. Every time. Worse than lighning dodging and getting 0.0 second combined.

edit: This time landed beside him, still lost.

MSMrRound

Seriously fuck the Remiem Temple chocobo race. Every time, I land right behind the other chocobo after the fifth chest. Every time. Worse than lighning dodging and getting 0.0 second combined.

I had the 0.0 thing done within three tries. Remiem temple though? Took me close to twenty (had to wait for the slower moving version of the Chocobo champ)

Manu

On a side note: Fuck dodging lightning... I keep making it to like 180 and then missing.. I'm about to delete my save data and crush the cart with a hammer.

Tip: Don't count them. Just say "I'm gonna dodge lightning bolts for 20 minutes" and then just pick up your prize. I did 209 that way.

Okay, so I have the Celestial weps for Tidus, Auron, Rikku and Lulu.

Once I reopen the temples I need to pick up the missing chests in Macalania, Djose and Zanarkand. I know two of those have Dark Aeons.

So, a few questions:

How much do I need to grind to face the dark aeons and what's the best way to do it?
I know Dark Bahamut is in Zanarkand. Is he where Yunalesca used to be or will he wreck me as soon as I step into the temple?
And lastly: Should I bother with Blitzball?

ExiledMarkzmen

Neo Member
Hello guyz. Just got this game with a friend. Its been years since I last played it and was wondering if there is anything missable in this game? Just want to make sure before I dive into it tonight after finishing up Dark Souls 2.

Hello guyz. Just got this game with a friend. Its been years since I last played it and was wondering if there is anything missable in this game? Just want to make sure before I dive into it tonight after finishing up Dark Souls 2.

There are 4 missable Al Bhed Primers, 3 in Home, and 1 in Bevelle. Other than that, there are better times to get certain things. Make sure you get all of the destruction sphere treasures in the temples the first time, for instance. Otherwise you may have to fight 1-2 dark aeons before getting Anima.

Levyne

Banned

The only thing you have to worry about permanently missing are the three Al Bhed Primers in Home and 1 before the Bevelle Cloister of Trials.

The one other main thing you should know is the item behind (boss)
Yunalesca
needed for a Celestial Weapon, which gets blocked by a Dark Aeon if you don't grab it right away.

There's other little things but nothing important or permanently missable.

ExiledMarkzmen

Neo Member
There are 4 missable Al Bhed Primers, 3 in Home, and 1 in Bevelle. Other than that, there are better times to get certain things. Make sure you get all of the destruction sphere treasures in the temples the first time, for instance. Otherwise you may have to fight 1-2 dark aeons before getting Anima.

Ahh ok Thanks. I have a faq bookmarked for the primers so ill be good on that. I wont leave those trials till i use those spheres!! = )

^Levyne Thats good to know. I forgot about the dark aeons. Heard there pretty difficult.

I did it without grinding for anything. I found that I didn't ever need to buy anything early game anyway because I got better equipment from enemy drops and treasure.

I remember people saying that too, but the discount definitely endures.

Ah okay. Well, I've actually been grinding along the highroad for other reasons, but I do have over 10,000 gil now. Might donate another 9000 (since I already donated 1001).

SirNinja

ywsUAg5.jpg

Looks like Tidus's special Magic Counter armor is still in. I thought it was just a glitch or oversight in the original game (as Magic Counter is normally a weapon ability); whatever the case, it looks like it's here to stay.

For those who don't know: this is sold by the Rin's Agency hovercraft merchant that shows up during the party's very first visit to the Calm Lands, who never appears again. This armor is one of the very few things in FFX that's truly missable (along with a No Encounters weapon, which has a possibility to drop from Geosgaeno).

I've got Tidus equipped with this and a Capture weapon with Counter in the second slot. So far he's been a counterattack machine on Gagazet (and has captured quite a few mobs in the process. Nothing like semi-automating a boring task...).

GenoScreams

Neo Member
I'm trying to learn comrade overdrive mode with Yuna and Rikku right now. I have them both in battle with Wakka against a bomb. Wakka provokes the bomb and takes ~100 damage each time.

Is that gonna eventually get Yuna and Rikku the comrade overdrive mode? I feel liike it's taking a lot longer than it should. I've lost 5000 HP with Wakka about 6 times now, which would mean I've been hit about 300 times at ~100 HP per hit. According to guides, Yuna needs an ally to be hit 240 times and Rikku only 100 times, soooo... ?

EDIT: I think it was because I was doing it in Monster Arena...

Got wrecked by Evrae 2 times before I figured he actually starts countering when he casts haste. First I thought I was looking at the turn indicator wrong or something :lol.

Kimahris overdrives suck tho. With the exeption of Stone Breath against some mobs I guess.

Oddspeak

Thought I'd suck it up and try to get the 0:0.0 time at Catcher Chocobo today. And holy shit, I got it on the second try. I wasn't even trying to get it, either. I got hit by one bird early on in the race and thought I fucked up. Imagine by goddamn surprise.

Top Bottom