• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

OmegaDL50

Tip: Don't count them. Just say "I'm gonna dodge lightning bolts for 20 minutes" and then just pick up your prize. I did 209 that way.

Okay, so I have the Celestial weps for Tidus, Auron, Rikku and Lulu.

Once I reopen the temples I need to pick up the missing chests in Macalania, Djose and Zanarkand. I know two of those have Dark Aeons.

So, a few questions:

How much do I need to grind to face the dark aeons and what's the best way to do it?
I know Dark Bahamut is in Zanarkand. Is he where Yunalesca used to be or will he wreck me as soon as I step into the temple?
And lastly: Should I bother with Blitzball?

The quickest method to level up is the Don Tonberry trick. (99 Sphere levels in 5 minutes)

First you'll need to capture 5 of each of the Flying Eyeball fiends to unlock One-Eye. (To get Triple AP weapons from killing him) and one of every fiend in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth (To unlock Don Tonberry)

Then you'll need to capture all fiends from 6 different areas (Go back to easier areas like Besaid, Killika, etc and one shot everything for easy capturing) Doing this will reward you with 99 Doors of Tomorrow in the Battle Arena.

On your Triple AP weapons won from One-Eye, use 10 Doors of Tomorrow on them to get the Overdrive AP ability, now you are ready to start the Don Tonberry Trick.

You'll want three characters with the weapons, preferably the one character who got the most kills in the game so far (Probably Tidus)

So setup Tidus with the Stoic Overdrive mode, and two other characters with AP weapons to Comrade mode.

Initiate a fight with Don Tonberry in the arena, have your Stoic OD guy attack the Tonberry and then revive him, have him attack again, and then revive him again, etc. If the Tonberry gets too close, Use the Flee command and reap in your rewards of hundreds and thousands of AP and mass levels.

Killing Don Tonberry is unnecessary. You are basically converting damage recieved into Overdrive gauge, and that overdrive is converted into AP which is tripled.

This is bar none the quickest way to level and max the sphere grid in the game.

SirNinja

Got wrecked by Evrae 2 times before I figured he actually starts countering when he casts haste. First I thought I was looking at the turn indicator wrong or something :lol..

My fights with Evrae always turn into petty Haste/Slow wars. He always immediately tries to counter my Slowing him but he's never fast enough. If you can keep him Slowed while he's at the point where he'll Haste himself if he isn't in that state, that's all he'll ever try to do for the rest of the fight. Fun times. :D

And then of course there's this little time-honored tradition later on (minor spoilers).
Being a zombie
is not a good thing if you're a boss enemy.

OmegaDL50

Thanks. Is it really necessary to kill One-Eye? All the Area Creations so far are destroying my party, I don't think I'd be able to kill it yet.

One Eye only has 150,000 HP.

And he's relatively slow. A single Attack Reels from Wakka followed by Slice and Dice by Tidus should kill him.

OmegaDL50

Rubs me the wrong way that Anima is more powerful than Bahumat. Ever since FFX he has been getting nerfed to the background. :(

If you haven't beat the story yet, don't read the below, but to answer your question if you did.

Well
there is story reasons for it because Anima is Seymours Final Aeon, which he used his Mother as the Fayth. Much like how Jecht was the Final Aeon for Braska

The difference in this case is that
Braska actually used Jecht to defeat Sin, wheras Seymour did not and just used the Anima to stay powerful.

I'd say there is significant power differences
between a standard and final aeon.
which explains why Anima is stronger then Bahamut in this case.

Also for several games as (at least since FF7, Bahamut wasn't the most powerful Summon, when you consider KOTR in FF7, Eden in FF8, and Ark in FF9)

braves01

Banned
I'm getting wrecked by *pretty far in spoiler*
Seymour at Mt. Gagazet.
I get pretty much totally wiped by cross-cleave, so I'm not sure if I'm under-leveled or I'm just not getting the trick behind the fight. Tips?

Saphirax

Seymour at Mt. Gagazet.
I get pretty much totally wiped by cross-cleave, so I'm not sure if I'm under-leveled or I'm just not getting the trick behind the fight. Tips?

I had the same problem. Even with all Aeons in Overdrive mode and some Zombieward equipment, Cross Cleave and Total Annihilation ...well annihilated me. I just spammed Cheer and Focus with Tidus/Lulu and put all my faith into Auron :D who had the most HP. Also Shell and Protect on him helps as well.

Seymour at Mt. Gagazet.

I remember someone saying on this thread to cast reflect on both you and the boss and abuse that or something.

OmegaDL50

Seymour at Mt. Gagazet.

Cast Bio on him. Poison does damage based by a percentage of an enemies max HP, and he just happens to be vulnerable to it.

Also using Silence Attack is useful to prevent him from casting spells.
Seymour Flux
is mostly harmless when his HP is bleeding due to poison and can't mouth off magic.

Hey guys, question about backtracking to Besaid's temple since I missed its Destruction Sphere item my first time through. I know
Dark Valefor
is guarding the temple when you go back with the airship, making it very difficult to get back in without crazy stats, but I've been reading you can actually walk back to Besaid once you beat Spherimorph in Macalania Woods. Will
Dark Valefor
be there yet if I go back that way? I want to get Anima but I'm not sure if I want to do the grinding necessary to beat the
Dark Aeons
, but I also don't want to restart my game if I can help it.

Thanks!

braves01

Banned
I had the same problem. Even with all Aeons in Overdrive mode and some Zombieward equipment, Cross Cleave and Total Annihilation ...well annihilated me. I just spammed Cheer and Focus with Tidus/Lulu and put all my faith into Auron :D who had the most HP. Also Shell and Protect on him helps as well.

I remember someone saying on this thread to cast reflect on both you and the boss and abuse that or something.

Thanks. I'll look into the reflect thing. Getting wiped a few times has made one thing painfully obvious though: the fact you can't skip cut-scenes in this game is a tragedy. It's just one of those little things that would really go a long way to making the game more enjoyable.

Cast Bio on him. Poison does damage based by a percentage of an enemies max HP, and he just happens to be vulnerable to it.

Also using Silence Attack is useful to prevent him from casting spells.
Seymour Flux
is mostly harmless when his HP is bleeding due to poison and can't mouth off magic.

Okay, thanks. I hadn't even really thought about trying that since the bosses are usually immune to all that stuff.

Thanks. I'll look into the reflect thing. Getting wiped a few times has made one thing painfully obvious though: the fact you can't skip cut-scenes in this game is a tragedy. It's just one of those little things that would really go a long way to making the game more enjoyable.

The weird thing is that they actually added complete scene scipping to KH HD so you'd think they would have done the same to this one.

OmegaDL50

Hey guys, question about backtracking to Besaid's temple since I missed its Destruction Sphere item my first time through. I know
Dark Valefor
is guarding the temple when you go back with the airship, making it very difficult to get back in without crazy stats, but I've been reading you can actually walk back to Besaid once you beat Spherimorph in Macalania Woods. Will Dark Valefor be there yet if I go back that way? I want to get Anima but I'm not sure if I want to do the grinding necessary to beat the Dark Aeons, but I also don't want to restart my game if I can help it.

Thanks!

He won't appear until you get the
Airship after Zanarkand
, as long as you didn't get the
airship
yet you'll be in the clear and can walk all the way back unimpeded.

Finally got around to picking this up yesterday. The GS I went to still had a copy of the LE available that no one picked up, so that was a bonus.

The first time I played this years ago, the game didn't really click with me for a while, at least coming off of IX. It wasn't until around the Mi'ihen Highroad that things started to click with me. This time around though, I've been enjoying it a lot. Still decided to go with the standard Sphere Grid even though the Expert one provides more flexibility.

Never played X-2 at all either, so I'm looking forward to playing that once I beat X.

Airship after Zanarkand
airship

Don't forget to pick up the Jecht Sphere from Besaid too! And Valefors second OD if you missed it the first time.

Might as well pick up some other Jecht Spheres too if you are going through al lthe trouble of backtracking to Besaid.

Manu

Seymour at Mt. Gagazet.

Grind a bit on the save point right before until Yuna's summons are all on overdrive. Then just use the overdrives on Seymour.

He won't be there but make sure to buy Sonic Steel for Tidus from Oaka at Macalania. It gives him First Strike so you can flee even during an ambush. Also, pick up Jecht spheres along the way.

Made to home. Time for all the feels. Played some blitz ball before doing the fourth temple and got the attack reels and finished the fist league to get the status reels as a prize. I forgot how much the rng hates in that game.
On to bevelle.

Tip: Don't count them. Just say "I'm gonna dodge lightning bolts for 20 minutes" and then just pick up your prize. I did 209 that way.

Thanks that actually helped a lot. Now that that's over with, 23 matches of Blitzball left to get Wakka's weapon. Blitzball is beyond simple once you get rid of the Aurochs but the matches go on for way too long.

damaph

Seymour at Mt. Gagazet.

This was the only part in the game I had trouble with too. I just got the overdrives for all the aeons and used them him. Make sure you have someone that can tank the cross-cleave attack.

GenoScreams

Neo Member
Airship after Zanarkand
airship

Are you sure? I was going to backtrack after getting monster hunting equipment as per someone's suggestion, but later read that you have to backtrack pretty much immediately after Spherimorph.

Airship after Zanarkand
airship

The problem is if you start backtracking
after the events in Macalania Temple
, you can only get as far as Guadosalam.

The only way you can get the Jecht Sphere in Besaid
without having to deal with Dark Valefor
is to backtrack the moment you beat Spherimorph. Once you start the events with
The machina boss after Rin's Travel Agency in Macalania
, you lose the chance.

In Bikanel Desert every single time Wakka attacks, the frame rate drops to shit and I think my game is about to crash.

Anyone else have this happen?

EDIT: ok it's not just Bikanel, it's any time Wakka kills something the game fucks up. Just started when I went back to Bikanel

OmegaDL50

The problem is if you start backtracking
after the events in Macalania Temple
, you can only get as far as Guadosalam.

The only way you can get the Jecht Sphere in Besaid
without having to deal with Dark Valefor
is to backtrack the moment you beat Spherimorph. Once you start the events with
The machina boss after Rin's Travel Agency in Macalania
, you lose the chance.

Crap, I forgot about that.

Dammnit, I guess your only solution now is to get Yojimbo and cheese
Dark Valefor
with Zanmato, or get strong enough to take him down.

Those Dark Aeons are cool and all, but the placement for some of them is inconvenient.

Just started playing the Vita version last night, I like it!

I think when I played it on PS2 years ago I never made it past the lightning plains. It's been so long that I pretty much remember the plot points as they happen.

Battle system is kinda fun so far. Don't think I really get the sphere grid yet, but that's okay. Looking forward to trying out Blitzball- I don't recall really digging it years ago, but I'm anxious to try it again.

One thing I'll say is I love that this on Vita. I'd love more HD remakes of older games on this.

Kimahris overdrives suck tho. With the exeption of Stone Breath against some mobs I guess.

Kimahri's Overdrives are mostly simple double-damage attacks with minor added utility stuff, but Mighty Guard is actually extremely great (and obviously Supernova got quite buffed in the International version, but that's only really available in the postgame).

Jump would've been *way* more interesting if it had been given an actual turn delay so you could use it to evade party-wiping attacks sometimes, though. Bummer that it's basically just the equivalent of a critical physical attack with a greater turn delay.

Fire Breath is basically your best go-to Kimahri Overdrive for damage during the majority of the game, IIRC.

OmegaDL50

Kimahri's Overdrives are mostly simple double-damage attacks with minor added utility stuff, but Mighty Guard is actually extremely great (and obviously Supernova got quite buffed in the International version, but that's only really available in the postgame).

Jump would've been *way* more interesting if it had been given an actual turn delay so you could use it to evade party-wiping attacks sometimes, though. Bummer that it's basically just the equivalent of a critical physical attack with a greater turn delay.

Fire Breath is basically your best go-to Kimahri Overdrive for damage during the majority of the game, IIRC.

White Wind also has decent utility too. I mean in that it's the only all party target healing spell in the game, which removes all negative status. I mean if you get Bad Breathed by a Malboro or some other mass-status ailment dealing attack or all of your party just got wiped after a Auto-Life kicked in and everyone is in critical Health, White Wind is useful in these occasions.

Just beat the Goers on my first try whaaaat. Never gave a shit about bliztball when I played it on ps2 but I might get into it this time around

Holy shit, the new Besaid Island theme
I melted when the violins came in

Also, this game looks amazing on the Vita
I bought the remaster for both PS3/Vita, I hope it helps a FFXII HD happen too.
Going to be spending my summer playing both of these, and also FFXIV :D

Gonna finish Blitzball tonight but wow is it a slog. Even hiding behind my goal is annoying because there isn't actually enough time to do other things.

Tiamant

I recommend to anyone who plays X-2 to do at least one "funky Paine" run, that is, to play using only the most out-of-character dresspheres available. As of now she is my festivalist/songstress/whitemage and the looks and quotes are hilarious. Looking forward to lady luck and mascot!

Levyne

Banned
I've only put like 6-7 hours into the game so far, it's my work busy season. What does that entail?

It depends whether you want to rewrite the grid or not. It's either going to take a medium amount of time at the arena, or a lot of time. It really is a bit of a grind.

robinsxe

gotta love Tidus way of dealing with computer terminals in the early sunken-ship mission with Rikku after you've been captured by the Al Bhed. He must be the only guy that gets tech working by beating the crap out of it.

krae_man

Just got to the thunder plains and was dodging lightening pretty good for a while there until a battle started. Guess I should wait until I get a no encounter ability.

Top Bottom