• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Jisgsaw

My copy arrived from Play-Asia (
might not be using the $5 coupon they gave me
) and I'll probably play this on the commute to work next week.

I played the International version back in 2004 or so and haven't touched the game since then. I think that was the Expert sphere grid, so I thought I'd try the regular one this time. Any reason not to do this, given that I'm a pretty casual player?

Hem... maybe make Kimahri usefull?

Unless you want to make your own build, the standard grid is just fine (and if you want to max out your stats endgame even a tad better, as you have roughly 50 more nodes on the grid than in expert).

I think that was the Expert sphere grid, so I thought I'd try the regular one this time. Any reason not to do this, given that I'm a pretty casual player?

The standard lacks the customization of the expert and spells come later. However, standard should be fine if you just want to stick with the normal.
Edit: Kimarhi on Tidus path in the standard grid makes him useful. Good luck with Aaron. His abilities kinda suck except Power and Armor Break. I gave Aaron Haste on Expert. Much more useful.

Holykael1

Banned
Well, I finally found time to start this.

While I'm happy to FINALLY get the game in 60Hz (seriously, that 50Hz era was bad), I have a few complains:

- What the hell did they do to peoples faces, expecially Yuna's? She's now completely expressionless. I mean that was one of FFX's strong point, why mess it up?
- Same goes for Tidus' eyes. Something's definitively wrong ther
e.
- Maybe it was because of the SD models, but I didn't remember the labial sync was so bad in this game. The sometimes pretty bad VA I remembered, it's a shame they didn't offer dual audio.

These were quite jarring for me aswell.. I think we'll just have to get used to them. Yuna looks especially weird.

ZeroX03

Banned
Question about Thunder Plains lightning dodge.
Does it have to be consecutive?

No. That'd be crazy haha.

What? Yes, the 200 dodges have to be consecutive. You can't leave the screen or save or you lose them. If you need to take a break, pause.

I completed FFX HD back in January but this was my first ever look at X-2. Damn it looks awful. This must be how JRPG-haters view all JRPGs.

Definitely not picking it up on my Vita until I can get X only. Unless any UK GAFers want to buy the X-2 code from me?.

Your first ever look was a crappy intro that didn't show any of the depth of the gameplay. There's lots of good stuff in X-2. I'd put it ahead of anything in the XIII series. You can import X on it's own from R3 Asia (English) or Japan (Japanese) - although you can't cross save between regions if that's an issue for you - but I'd highly suggest not letting a poor video stop you from playing a good game.

Just finished watching Giantbomb's quicklook:
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster/2300-8689/

I completed FFX HD back in January but this was my first ever look at X-2. Damn it looks awful. This must be how JRPG-haters view all JRPGs.

Definitely not picking it up on my Vita until I can get X only. Unless any UK GAFers want to buy the X-2 code from me?.
That is your best bet. FFX Vita is not going to go down in price physically. Digital there might be a chance they go sell it separate, but it will not be anytime soon. So best bet is to find someone willing to buy the voucher.

RaikuHebi

Banned
What? Yes, the 200 dodges have to be consecutive. You can't leave the screen or save or you lose them. If you need to take a break, pause.

Your first ever look was a crappy intro that didn't show any of the depth of the gameplay. There's lots of good stuff in X-2. I'd put it ahead of anything in the XIII series. You can import X on it's own from R3 Asia (English) or Japan (Japanese) - although you can't cross save between regions if that's an issue for you - but I'd highly suggest not letting a poor video stop you from playing a good game.

Omg are you serious. I had no idea, that's insane. Apologies for my erroneous statement.

Thanks. Yes I'll definitely play it in the future, but my priority will be to 100% FFX which will take a long, long time.

RaikuHebi

Banned
That is your best bet. FFX Vita is not going to go down in price physically. Digital there might be a chance they go sell it separate, but it will not be anytime soon. So best bet is to find someone willing to buy the voucher.

I'll either do that, or buy it from CEX (who are selling it without X-2 for cheaper).

Or just wait it out until Summer when I'll have X as my holiday gamer and hopefully it'll be sold separately by then.

So I bought FFX on PS3. I would normally wait for the price to go down, but I feel that if I bought it now at full retail price and at launch, my purchase would help fuel the ambition for a FFXII remake, which would be the last mainline FF I need to buy. I own every FF game except 11, 12, and 14 thanks to that sale on PSN a while back.

So the question is, should I play this first? Or do I go in order? I have asked some others on here what I should do and they said to play VI, VII, and X first, then the rest later. But I am worried if I play the more recent ones first, the older games might be unplayable since I would be so used to the newer(ish) gameplay.

(Note, the only FF game I have actually finished and played is 1, and I started 2.)

Shahed

Just got the airship and there's so many thing I can do I'm not sure where to start! I think I might just do a trek across all the areas for some monstere and revisit the Cloisters for the Stat Spheres

Jisgsaw

So I bought FFX on PS3. I would normally wait for the price to go down, but I feel that if I bought it now at full retail price and at launch, my purchase would help fuel the ambition for a FFXII remake, which would be the last mainline FF I need to buy. I own every FF game except 11, 12, and 14 thanks to that sale on PSN a while back.

So the question is, should I play this first? Or do I go in order? I have asked some others on here what I should do and they said to play VI, VII, and X first, then the rest later. But I am worried if I play the more recent ones first, the older games might be unplayable since I would be so used to the newer(ish) gameplay.

(Note, the only FF game I have actually finished and played is 1, and I started 2.)

The gameplay is diferent enough (and almost always good enough) throughout the series that this shouldn't be a problem.
Only FF7 and its... special graphics may throw you off (I know it did to me).

Having started with X, what I did lack was voiceovers in prior entries, but most people are fine with it/find it better considering the english voices arent always top notch in FFX.
FFX is also a lot more linear (and without worldmap) than the other games (except 13).

So I'd say: start with whichever you want. The is absolutely no story correlation between each entry. I did hear the first three haven't aged well though.

ZeroX03

Banned

The older Final Fantasy games are only really inferior in graphics. They all have pretty compelling stories, characters and gameplay. The earlier (SNES) ones are a little more rough in terms of difficulty and the PS1 generation tends to have the worst loading times but it's all reasonably negligible.The pre-rendered backgrounds of the PS1 games really help them look great even if the characters don't match. It'll come down to personal preference more than outdatedness, X-2 and XII are the only ones that are significantly faster paced in terms of combat but they come chronologically last anyway.

Personally I would play in order from IV to XII without skipping any (including X-2 but excluding XI), they all hold up reasonably well. Don't bother with the first three, they are outdated.

Shahed

I guess you are right :p

If I don't have 250000 gil for Yojimbo yet is it okay to travel straight to Mt. Gagazet?

I think you might want to go through the cave to activate the warp at the end. But otherwise I think it's safe. If you don't activate the warp, then Dark Yojimbo would get in the way

RaikuHebi

Banned
I guess you are right :p

If I don't have 250000 gil for Yojimbo yet is it okay to travel straight to Mt. Gagazet?

You can always come back, once you get to a certain point in Gagazet you unlock fast travel.

I think you might want to go through the cave to activate the warp at the end. But otherwise I think it's safe. If you don't activate the warp, then Dark Yojimbo would get in the way

Dark Yojimbo?

Ah alright I will do that then!

You can always come back, once you get to a certain point in Gagazet you unlock fast travel.

Dark Yojimbo?

Oh that I know that I
get the airship after Yunalesca
it's just that that was the fight I could never win on the PS2 version so I never been this far. I asked because I wondered if there's something I could do before to make the coming fights easier :p

And yeah there are a few surprises in the International version :)

You only need 203,000 for him.

Oh well... I think I could farm that as I currently have 100000-something :D

Just got the airship and there's so many thing I can do I'm not sure where to start! I think I might just do a trek across all the areas for some monstere and revisit the Cloisters for the Stat Spheres

Yes you should go back to besaid first ASAP Hehe.

EDIT
Oh you already know about the dark aeons :( it would have been great to see your reaction if you visited besaid and did not not know about the dark aeons!

Did you not play the game on the PS2? There's Dark versions or every Aeon as an extra boss. Yojimbo and his Dark version are both there. If you don't at least activate the warp, you'll have to go through him to obtain Yojimbo

He/she might have played the US version, as far as I know it didn't have the Dark Aeons on the PS2.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Did you not play the game on the PS2? There's Dark versions or every Aeon as an extra boss. Yojimbo and his Dark version are both there. If you don't at least activate the warp, you'll have to go through him to obtain Yojimbo

Oh I must've not activated the warp then.

First time I played the game was last year. (PS2 version). First I finished it was this January )PS3 version). All I got was normal Yojimbo, but I swear I activated the warp. Is Dark Yojimbo the boss fight I faced? Or was that normal Yojimbo?

JimPanzer

ok it seems I'm not strong enough to fight sin yet. should I just grind or combine grinding with some of the post-game content? which of the additional content would be the best option?

Shahadan

ol4PCZP.jpg

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH !

Never.Ever.Again.

I was counting and failed at 198 at first, almost broke my vita.
I think I'm actually scared of lightning now.

Shahed

Yes you should go back to besaid first ASAP Hehe.

EDIT
Oh you already know about the dark aeons :( it would have been great to see your reaction if you visited besaid and did not not know about the dark aeons!

Yeah I'm from the UK so I experienced that back in the day. Had to Zanmoto my way passed in order to get the destruction sphere on the PS2 so I knew this time. Having said that I went to Macalania Temple to get the spheres there and met a nice and friendly woman I'd forgotten about. Good thing I saved just beforehand!

He/she might have played the US version, as far as I know it didn't have the Dark Aeons on the PS2.

I figured with mentioning CEX and UK versions of the FFX-2 code he would have experienced them earlier. Not so if an emulater was used which could have been a non PAL version

Oh I must've not activated the warp then.

First time I played the game was last year on PS2 emulator on PS3 (up till Rikku's hometown), and first I finished it was this January on PS3. All I got was normal Yojimbo, but I swear I activated the warp.

The Dark versions don't appear until after the Airship. They are new to the HD version for non PAL countries. You must have either gone there before the airship, or are emulating the US version. If you fought Dark Yojimbo, you would know. By the Game Over screen most likely!

Saphirax

Ah alright I will do that then!

Oh that I know that I
get the airship after Yunalesca
it's just that that was the fight I could never win on the PS2 version so I never been this far. I asked because I wondered if there's something I could do before to make the coming fights easier :p

And yeah there are a few surprises in the International version :)

Oh well... I think I could farm that as I currently have 100000-something :D

You can get him for 190 000 gil. Personally, I got him for 199 000 gil. Someone mentioned getting him for 175 000, but your safest bet is no lower than 190 000.

I figured with mentioning CEX and UK versions of the FFX-2 code he would have experienced them earlier. Not so if an emulater was used which could have been a non PAL version

Ah good thinking, I didn't think that far.

You can get him for 190 000 gil. Personally, I got him for 199 000 gil. Someone mentioned getting him for 175 000, but your safest bet is no lower than 190 000.

Hmm alright I guess I will play it safe then, I mean the difference in gil isn't that huge.

ZeroX03

Banned
Hmm alright I guess I will play it safe then, I mean the difference in gil isn't that huge.

If refuses your offer, you can just go and haggle with him again, you don't lose any gil unless he accepts.

200k gil isn't much in the long run, the prizes you get from monster hunting alone are worth a couple million. Then there's Mimic/Kottos farming if you want to be bribing/Yojimboing.

If refuses your offer, you can just go and haggle with him again, you don't lose any gil unless he accepts.

200k gil isn't much in the long run, the prizes you get from monster hunting alone are worth a couple million. Then there's Mimic/Kottos farming if you want to be bribing/Yojimboing.

Hmm well I can go try atleast I guess, thanks for the info. I was planning to do the arena and all the side-quest stuff as soon as I
get the airship
:)

EDIT: About the
Cavern of the Stolen Fayth,
how can I enable the warp-pad? o.o

I think it was 95% luck. If the balloons at the start aligned for the trainer I know I already lost.

I read that if you somehow got less than 0.0 on your first try it won't register (lol).

HAha, yeah! I noticed that too, the starting balloon setup has to be in your favour and I also noticed that if they are aligned more to the right for the entire race, it's a lot easier, but that could just be me.

Somehow stumbled upon Dark Ixion after getting the airship.

Haha, I had a similar experience only it was Dark Bahamut. I had tears :(

Falk

that puzzling face

Doesn't Dark Yojimbo only spawn when you're going in one direction? (Outwards)

Shahed

Hmm well I can go try atleast I guess, thanks for the info. I was planning to do the arena and all the side-quest stuff as soon as I
get the airship
:)

EDIT: About the
Cavern of the Stolen Fayth,
how can I enable the warp-pad? o.o

I think just go to the end and use it.

Doesn't Dark Yojimbo only spawn when you're going in one direction? (Outwards)

That might be right. I'm just going off 10 year old memories here.

Shahadan

The random rewards for blitzball are so annoying. Fuck Elixirs and Mega Potions. Why would I ever want to endure multiple blitzball matches for those.

Top Bottom