• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Einhander

I was looking at the FFX/X-2 HD box art for the first time today and...

ijYt5Ovd39wcB.png

I'm sorry. I had to.

sensui-tomo

This is why it baffles me when people keep insisting Final Fantasy is dead.

Well, I feel like X is one of the more beloved FF's. I doubt some of the later entries would induce this sort of a turn out.

Regardless, I'm glad it's getting all this hype. (Even if my brother and I might end up being thwarted from a shiny signed copy.)

People who say Final Fantasy is dead are speaking for themselves and no one else.

Most fans of Final Fantasy have just been lurking about for a decade or so waiting for it to become good again. The unexpectedly huge success of FFXIV ARR is proof of this.

Two days from release and I still can't decide between PS3 and Vita
Don't post that Mexican "Why not both" girl, I sware to god!

I was leaning Vita but native 1080p is making me lean PS3 now....hmmmm. Any major framerate difference?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Think theres any chance of the FF HD remakes making their way to PS4 before Playstation Now? Especially since I'm in the UK.

I'm pretty sure (most) people mean in terms of quality when they say that.

Which I get, the only "real" (non-MMO numbered) games we had this gen where the three XIII games and I didn't like any of those either.

AmanoBuff

I'm pretty sure (most) people mean in terms of quality when they say that.

Which I get, the only "real" (non-MMO numbered) games we had this gen where the three XIII games and I didn't like any of those either.

I haven't played FFXIV, but I've read it really good even on the single player campaign.

And I suppose you are not including handhelds right? Because the same time period that gave us the uninspired XIII series also gave us the fantastic Crisis Core and Type-0.

Best Final Fantasy box arts are still the ones with simply the logo. Sorry.

(p.s. yay)

I tend to agree. However, the CG artwork is so gorgeous that it made me import it.

And then there's the Amano logos for each case, which also look amazing on their own.

That's great to hear!

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by just how good the game looks on Vita. They really did a great job porting it.

Falk

that puzzling face
The art is fantastic, but there's something about the simplicity of a majority-white background for the boxarts that make a statement of their own regarding the entire franchise.

I'd love all those others as posters, though.

edit: One which I actually do have!

I think prices are more than reasonable so far, at least for those original Nomura sketches (try to find one from Amano, if you do, they'll run you in the 5-digit numbers). I don't find much value in the digital artworks though.

His work on these games seem to be omitted from the gallery, sadly.

Found another one I like, seems to be new:

size500_ffx_drawing_1_500.jpg

(Tidus looks mad because he read that novel)

Are there any images of what the first pressing LE actually comes with? I'm thinking about scumbagging it and just grabbing the PSN version cause I'm not in the mood to go out during my days off lol.

Just beat Lightning Returns today - that game was some hot garbage. I have no idea what happened during the ending, either. Glad to dry my hands of it.

Anyway, counting down the days for this remaster. FFX is one of my favorites and it's been a long time since I've played it. I was going to do Vita, but I couldn't turn down playing this on a big HDTV with surround sound.

AmanoBuff

His work on these games seem to be omitted from the gallery, sadly.

Found another one I like, seems to be new:

size500_ffx_drawing_1_500.jpg

(Tidus looks mad because he read that novel)

I'm not surprised. Original artwork of his for this game is just impossible to come by, and authorized lithographs and other copies are expensive and extremely limited in numbers.

squall211

I see FF X as the start of the downward trend. I have not had the patience to finish a new FF since then.

X is the last ff game I truly fell in love with. I really enjoyed XII, and I liked the XIII trilogy, but X was the last one that really "felt" like Final Fantasy to me.

Falk

that puzzling face
but X was the last one that really "felt" like Final Fantasy to me.

You think so? I always felt like IX was the last 'classic' to me, just due to the overworld and exploration. X and XII then went off on their separate (awesome, mind you) tangents and XIII felt like it expanded/tangents off X even further, for better or worse.

SkylineRKR

X was the first I didn't 100%. And although I don't rate it as high as VII - IX, its still a worthy FF and one of the best JRPG out there. My main criticism was the lack of a proper world map and I didn't really like Tidus.

X-2 I thought was a travesty but with a GREAT battle system. FFXIII however ended up being such a joke that I think X-2 wasn't actually that bad but the bar was just very high. X-2 was at its very least a more competent game than the XIII trilogy.

Earlier on I learnt to appreciate XII. Because when XIII was unveiled I was overjoyed to see S-E go back the old art direction, encounters etc. But XIII showed me that XII was actually pushing the series into the right direction. XIII was a huge step back on so much occasions.

tl:dr: FXIII makes everything else look good.

Levyne

Banned
I agree that IX felt like the last "traditional" Final Fantasy, but X, X-2, and XII were so different from them (and from each other). In fact, I liked X, X-2, and XII significantly more than any of the PS1 games.

RaikuHebi

Banned
A certain someone sent us copies of Japanese PS3 X/X-2 HD. Mine's arriving in the mail tomorrow. I guess I'll change my preorder of EN to PSVita.

As a bonus we get to test if cross-save works across JP PS3 and EN Vita, too. :V

It won't.

If XV is actually good game and Square puts as big marketing campaign behind it as they did for original XIII it's going to do well. Of course if XV sucks the whole franchise will be probably in rather permanent decline. Stakes are high.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
If XV is actually good game and Square puts as big marketing campaign behind it as they did for original XIII it's going to do well. Of course if XV sucks the whole franchise will be probably in rather permanent decline. Stakes are high.

SE needs to stop being so coy with it then. Only going to make it worse - especially if the game is going through development trouble.

Thoraxes

Man, no retail stores near me are getting enough copies for me to pick a Vita copy on Tuesday, so now I'm just getting it with my PS3 version from Amazon.

I noticed the LE was sold out on amazon too.

CE got delayed so yeah. I'll pawn it off later I guess or just collect it.

SirNinja

Anyone know what resolution the Vita versions are?

It's difficult to tell just from looking at screenshots, as the Vita compresses the hell out of them. I hope the option for lossless .PNG screenshots is part of a future firmware update.

The battle HUD definitely seems to be native 960x544, at least. In screenshots like these, it's very easy to make out individual pixels (esp. on the two scrollbars), even with all the excessive jpeg "noise".

That, plus all the reports/impressions from people who have the game already saying how amazingly crisp it looks, plus the fact the PS3 version runs at native 1080p = I'm guessing this is also full 960x544, no upscaling. (Though if someone who knows for sure could shed some light on this, please do!)

RaikuHebi

Banned
SE needs to stop being so coy with it then. Only going to make it worse - especially if the game is going through development trouble.

This E3. I'm banking on it. XV mega trailer dump, release date confirmation etc. It can't miss this E3. Surely?

Top Bottom