• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Thoraxes

That's because you're comparing X-2 and XI, a SPIN-OFF and MMO to a mainline title. Those games didn't have the same expectations - and if you were around back then, both were very polarizing - so comparing them isn't particularly fair.

And XIII still underscored them.

Yes I acknowledged that it underscored them, because if you read my post you'll notice I explain that happening and how the 2 point lower score falls within the curve of decline that was present in the series before XIII was released in any form.

Just because a game is a SEQUEL (really, X-2 a spinoff when it is a direct sequel to a mainline game in both story, content, characters, and title?) and an MMO (also a numbered, mainline game) doesn't make them any less than mainline titles. It's cherry-picking to the extreme extent that people do with Kingdom Hearts titles, when some of those "spin-offs" are much better than the mainline games.

We may as well just call XIV not a real game either, despite the success that it's having.

13 had a very solid battle system and a couple of likable characters, and it looked pretty. Absolutely everything else about the game was complete shit. This is an opinion, but it's the only opinion that matters. If you disagree I will disregard your opinion because you obviously have poor taste.

13 and its somehow ever more awful sequels have irreparably tarnished the FF name. Even with a few other questionable titles (X-2, 11, 14) 13 still stands out like a sore thumb that has gangrene and is in desperate need of amputation.

ZeroX03

Banned
That LR response still seems too low to me. It's so unique and off in its own direction. I blame XIII's reputation in society... A game with very odd charms comes along, and critics know they have a public mandate to rip a XIII game to shreds. It really deserves a kinder expectation of being its own thing, but the popular-to-shit-on XIII series games don't get that luxury.

I think that XIII was just scored too high out of hype and franchise (and the hype for that game was insane, we all assumed the story and gameplay would match the insane graphics). Each to their own.

Yes I acknowledged that it underscored them, because if you read my post you'll notice I explain that happening and how the 2 point lower score falls within the curve of decline that was present in the series before XIII was released in any form.

Just because a game is a SEQUEL (really? X-2 a spinoff when it is a direct sequel to a mainline game in both story, content and title?) and an MMO (also a numbered, mainline game) doesn't make them any less than mainline titles. It's cherry-picking to the extreme extent that people do with Kingdom Hearts titles, when some of those "spin-offs" are much better than the mainline games.

Yes it does. The curve of decline only exists when you introduce direct sequels/different genre games.

I called X-2 a spin-off because it for the most part takes different tonal, gameplay and story directions than X. And a different lead. That's spin-off in my head. It can exist a separate entity to X, whereas XIII-2 and 3 cann't as much. But sequel is more apt in general, you're right.

So this will be up on the PS Store on Tuesday? Not really a fan of the artbook packaging so I'm thinking about going digital.

However, if the package was something like that, I would scoff at digital. Those are great.

I was afraid to share the same sentiment. Not a fan of art stuff or bigger packaging - will simply sit on my (limited space) shelf for years. Want to go digital (also to preserve my 4 yr old ps3 blu ray drive), but its still not up for preorder! Cant see it going up earlier than tuesday afternoon.

Levyne

Banned
I don't understand your argument Thoraxes. Because the non-mainline or mmo games around XIII also scored lower, we can then consider XIII to "fall within the curve of decline", and this is defense for the statement that XIII is critically acclaimed?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think that XIII was just scored too high out of hype and franchise (and the hype for that game was insane, we all assumed the story and gameplay would match the insane graphics). Each to their own.

I agree with that... there is a kind of groupthink where the critical community presumes a game to be good and doesn't want to score it out of line with their peers. This happened to GTA4, for example. It probably happened to XIII.

But in regard to LR, I think the opposite happened. The zeitgeist has shifted to the point where the XIII series is unpopular and it's pretty safe to treat them harshly.

LR is basically a Nier or Resonsance of Fate level RPG. But in the case of those titles, we get a lot of "hey this niche title is surprisingly great!" but for LR we get "even worse than you'd expect a XIII game to be".

Thoraxes

I don't understand your argument Thoraxes. Because the non-mainline or mmo games around XIII also scored lower, we can then consider XIII to "fall within the curve of decline", and this is defense for the statement that XIII is critically acclaimed?

It received good review scores, and overall was not critically panned judging by the numbers posted here in the thread. Just because a series is in decline doesn't mean it can't be praised for the things it does right.

Something can be critically acclaimed but not as good as its predecessor (it's actually possible). Like Animal Crossing to Animal Crossing Wild World, Final Fantasy VII to VIII, all the recent CoD titles, BFBC2 to BF3.

Yes it does. The curve of decline only exists when you introduce direct sequels/different genre games.

As long as we can cherry pick arguments and not incorporate all the data, i'd argue that every FF game after IX has been horrible because they are too different from previous games in the series.

Thoraxes

Ok. I'm not sure I agree fully but I think I understand your position more.

And that is okay, we will disagree on these things because we have different tastes in games. I totally understand your viewpoint, and while I may not necessarily agree with you, I respect that you can see something differently than I do with a different scale of judgement.

Even though the scores had been in decline for a while, I still loved all of the games because when I played them I enjoyed them, and didn't play them thinking I was committing crimes against humanity like some the vitriolic responses I read in other threads from the past few years.

Levyne

Banned
ugh people are getting the game early! :( makes me sad.

This and infamous. Gah!.

Here I am booting up random games on my computer just trying to pass time on the weekend but I really don't want to play anything :( Why can't it be next weekend already?

ZeroX03

Banned
As long as we can cherry pick arguments and not incorporate all the data, i'd argue that every FF game after IX has been horrible because they are too different from previous games in the series.

Are you seriously saying that not comparing XI to XIII is cherry picking? They're completely different genres. It's completely reasonable to exclude X-2 and XI from comparison.

Just because a game has "Final Fantasy" in the title doesn't make it a legitimate inclusion for comparison. Or do you really want to throw Final Fantasy: All The Bravest into the mix? Compared to that game's 25 on Metacritic, XIII is fucking amazing, huh? It's not the decline of the series at all. EDIT: Lightning Returns came out after All The Bravest! With a massive metacritic jump! It's the savior of the series, god damnit, it was all downhill until XIII-3 came along.

For a single-player mainline Final Fantasy entries, XIII is a significant drop in critical reception. There's no argument here, that's fact.

HeelPower

That would mean they would have to put as much the time, effort, and money into them as they do the main ones. But that defeats the purpose, for them,of making the sequels quickly and cheaply.

No they don't.

I am talking about taking care of writing and gameplay consistency and not taking stupid random decisions. Its really a matter of actually caring about what you are making not budgets and time.

They need to have a well planned direction and cohesive vision with whatever sub series is coming up.

That LR response still seems too low to me. It's so unique and off in its own direction. I blame XIII's reputation in society... A game with very odd charms comes along, and critics know they have a public mandate to rip a XIII game to shreds. It really deserves a kinder expectation of being its own thing, but the popular-to-shit-on XIII series games don't get that luxury.

The games is very flawed.The more I played of it the more it became off putting.

Its very lazily put together.It deserved no better.RE6 was received worse and its actually a better game.

Even the best thing about the game(the battle system) is still far from perfect.

The writing is piss poor.

Dude I am one of the people who appreciate XIII-1.I think LR is so bad.

Thoraxes

Are you seriously saying that not comparing XI to XIII is cherry picking? They're completely different genres. It's completely reasonable to exclude X-2 and XI from comparison.

Just because a game has "Final Fantasy" in the title doesn't make it a legitimate inclusion for comparison. Or do you really want to throw Final Fantasy: All The Bravest into the mix? Compared to that game's 25 on Metacritic, XIII is fucking amazing, huh? It's not the decline of the series at all.

For a single-player mainline Final Fantasy entries, XIII is a significant drop in critical reception. There's no argument here, that's fact.

Your argument became about mainline Final Fantasy titles (using your words, these mainline games are spin-offs and MMO's despite how they are named) and you're excluding mainline, numbered Final Fantasy titles from your argument to strengthen your position based on specific criteria that you choose to use when presenting your argument and excluding others because they didn't strengthen your argument, sometimes referred to as "cherry-picking".

EDIT: Anywho, i'm done debating with someone who won't listen because it further derails the derailment that was taking place from the previous page and this is an OT for a game that isn't what we're talking about. We can continue in the community thread if you'd like or just PM me please. I apologize for my contribution to this and will take it out of this thread.

BocoDragon

The games is very flawed.The more I played of it the more it became off putting.

Its very lazily put together.It deserved no better.RE6 was received worse and its actually a better game.

Even the best thing about the game(the battle system) is still far from perfect.

The writing is piss poor.

Dude I am one of the people who appreciate XIII-1.I think LR is so bad.

I don't think it is "lazily" put together so much as it is very open ended. It's like a good version of a Kawazu SaGa game. That is not for everyone, of course, but I do not think it is objectively lesser at all.

In fact, I may be having more fun with it than previous XIII games. The open-ended nature makes for a less frictional game experience than XIII-1's suffocating tunnel or XIII-2's locked gates. I am loving wandering this atmospheric world as the clock ticks down.

Again I have to say, it is not a bad XIII game. It is a very unique RPG that some people are going to fall in love with and some are going to loathe... but it's really unfortunate that it is judged by the XIII noose around its neck.

LR got low scores because it was a poorly made game. FF X on the PS2 looked as good as it.

The graphics suck. Yes. Fact.

That's what you get when you take the XIII engine, which was meant for shiny close ups of anime dolls, and make an open world game with it.

Thoraxes

Does anyone have any info or hands-on with the little art cards that are supposed to come with the Vita version from Amazon? I don't know if any other retailers or reviewers got them too (and since some are getting them early) and was wondering what they were like.

If someone were to make a custom Vita cover where that FFX cover is on the front, and that FFX-2 cover is on the back, I'd print that shit asap.

Is the Vita version even getting a physical release in NA? If so I would probably double dip just for the opportunity to own that custom cover if someone made it.

I was afraid to share the same sentiment. Not a fan of art stuff or bigger packaging - will simply sit on my (limited space) shelf for years. Want to go digital (also to preserve my 4 yr old ps3 blu ray drive), but its still not up for preorder! Cant see it going up earlier than tuesday afternoon.

I hear you. It's easy to get all excited to be getting a special edition version, but then when you try and fit it on your shelf it's incredibly tacky. Maybe that isn't a big deal to a lot of people but it sure bugs the shit out of me.

Thoraxes

Is the Vita version even getting a physical release in NA? If so I would probably double dip just for the opportunity to own that custom cover if someone made it.

For the NA release X is physical, and X-2 comes digital on a code voucher that is included in the physical box, I believe

Let us continue the FFX/X-2 HYPE

FFX/X-2 art director Yusuke Naora created this piece at Gallery Nucleus today

Bi0N-GRCUAAENN1.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
Your argument became about mainline Final Fantasy titles (using your words, these mainline games are spin-offs and MMO's despite how they are named) and you're excluding mainline, numbered Final Fantasy titles from your argument to strengthen your position based on specific criteria that you choose to use when presenting your argument and excluding others because they didn't strengthen your argument, sometimes referred to as "cherry-picking".

EDIT: Anywho, i'm done debating with someone who won't listen because it further derails the derailment that was taking place from the previous page and this is an OT for a game that isn't what we're talking about. We can continue in the community thread if you'd like or just PM me please. I apologize for my contribution to this and will take it out of this thread.

Don't insult me and then ask me to PM you.

I have said many times that excluding X-2 and XI is not cherry picking. X-2 was never considered mainline (do you think The After Years and Revenant Wings are too, they have numbers in the name), and XI is a completely different genre. It's a completely reasonable position that nobody seems to be disagreeing with except for you. XIII is the beginning of the critical decline of mainline Final Fantasy.

BocoDragon

No, this is what you get when a company goes for a shameless money grab.
Right. A shameless money grab with entirely new locations, art assets, battle system.

XIII-2 might have been a cash grab (assets scraped off the floor of XIII and reskinned old areas)... But LR? It's an entirely brand new game that happens to reuse the company engine.

Too bad they don't leave FF games in the oven for a million years instead of cranking them out. Oh, except they do that too.

Yeah. I was a little disappointed too, but thankful we still get it! And also thankful I upgraded to a 16GB memory card during black friday last November.

I think X-2 middles around 3.5GB so have space open!

Well, I don't have a Vita yet due to exactly that-- the memory shenanigans. I am getting one in the next few months, but I would also like that white/yellow 2000. For now I'll be getting the PS3 version.

sensui-tomo

That shameless money grab turned out to be a very fun, entertaining game with loads of content and that gave resolution to the story.

you mean the story that should have ended back in ff13? we didnt need that sequel.
Right. A shameless money grab with entirely new locations, art assets, battle system.

XIII-2 might have been a cash grab (assets scraped off the floor of XIII and reskinned old areas)... But LR? It's an entirely brand new game that happens to reuse the company engine.

Too bad they don't leave FF games in the oven for a million years instead of cranking them out. Oh, except they do that too.
How about all that costume dlc? Does it not scream cash grab to you?
but onto the main topic, that advanced sphere grid, it doesnt have those level locks correct? just lets you roam into whatever?

you mean the story that should have ended back in ff13? we didnt need that sequel.
but onto the main topic, that advanced sphere grid, it doesnt have those level locks correct? just lets you roam into whatever?

For me, I justify the existence of a videogame with whether or not it was a good time.

ZeroX03

Banned

It still has level locks, to keep you from particularly strong areas, but it lets you roam between character paths a lot faster. Meaning if you want Auron the Thief or Lulu the... Blitzballer, the option is available to you.

sensui-tomo

It still has level locks, to keep you from particularly strong areas, but it lets you roam between character paths a lot faster. Meaning if you want Auron the Thief or Lulu the... Blitzballer, the option is available to you.

thanks for the quick response, i'll probably just run the same ol normal sphere grid in that case, looking forward to seeing the new stuff in ffx-2 though.

thanks for the quick response, i'll probably just run the same ol normal sphere grid in that case, looking forward to seeing the new stuff in ffx-2 though.

I've actually never finished X-2. I remember it being pretty fun and vibrant. Should be interesting to revisit it and with the new content.

Hell, I'm not even sure what the International content is.

BocoDragon

How about all that costume dlc? Does it not scream cash grab to you?
That's a little different than saying LR itself exists only as a cash grab.

And if Square Enix is guilty of cash-grab DLC... So is the entire industry?

Plus costumes themselves...that's actually a really harmless form of DLC because it doesn't affect gameplay.. And it's really appropriate for FF, actually. If you don't think selling action figures devalued FF, then selling costumes shouldn't.

Thoraxes

Well, I don't have a Vita yet due to exactly that-- the memory shenanigans. I am getting one in the next few months, but I would also like that white/yellow 2000. For now I'll be getting the PS3 version.

Definitely understandable. Did you end up getting a LE for PS3 too, or are you locked into a regular copy? I noticed Amazon is all out of stock of the LE copies.

Definitely understandable. Did you end up getting a LE too, or are you locked into a regular copy? I noticed Amazon is all out of the LE copies.

I preordered from Gamestop so it's the LE, but my mind still isn't made up as to whether or not I want to pick that up or just get it digitally. I don't really like the LE packaging to be honest, it's pretty but not very practical to put on the shelf with other PS3 games as it would stick out like a sore thumb. I'm just OCD that way.

Thoraxes

I preordered from Gamestop so it's the LE, but my mind still isn't made up as to whether or not I want to pick that up or just get it digitally. I don't really like the LE packaging to be honest, it's pretty but not very practical to put on the shelf with other PS3 games as it would stick out like a sore thumb. I'm just OCD that way.

I know exactly how that is. I had trouble finding spots for my XIII-2 LE, or my copy of XII with the steelbook. Same thing with all the ATLUS 3DS games that came in that different packaging too! I ended up cornering them off in their own little section to try and keep things somewhat orderly. Personally, I would've been just fine with the Logo art and a white background lol (kinda more like the CE or insides of the LE)

Hmm, I still have my Final Fantasy X-2 Bradygames guide. I might actually use it in trying to get 100% on X-2 again. I hope it's accurate. I really don't remember, lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Let us continue the FFX/X-2 HYPE

FFX/X-2 art director Yusuke Naora created this piece at Gallery Nucleus today

Bi0N-GRCUAAENN1.jpg

He deleted the digital art after donating it to charity. :(

Top Bottom