• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Flandy

It's difficult to tell just from looking at screenshots, as the Vita compresses the hell out of them. I hope the option for lossless .PNG screenshots is part of a future firmware update.

The battle HUD definitely seems to be native 960x544, at least. In screenshots like these, it's very easy to make out individual pixels (esp. on the two scrollbars), even with all the excessive jpeg "noise".

That, plus all the reports/impressions from people who have the game already saying how amazingly crisp it looks, plus the fact the PS3 version runs at native 1080p = I'm guessing this is also full 960x544, no upscaling. (Though if someone who knows for sure could shed some light on this, please do!)

It's subnative. We've known that for a while. Don't know the exact res though. Hud might be native though.

Squire

Banned
This E3. I'm banking on it. XV mega trailer dump, release date confirmation etc. It can't miss this E3. Surely?

It could very easily miss this E3. They already said they'd more regularly discuss and show it after last years E3 and they haven't kept that promise. The fact Eidos will probably have two or more PS4/XBO games at the show means it'll be relatively easy to seep under the rug, too.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
XV's gonna be at E3 guys. We're to the point where we are gonna see info on this game once or twice a year at least.

god i hope so

HeelPower

SE needs to stop being so coy with it then. Only going to make it worse - especially if the game is going through development trouble.

Unfortunately the game seems to be under tons of pressure in terms of development.

I wish SE the best.The team behind the game is definitely capable but they need truly original and good direction.

FFXV has to make a great comeback.

Not seeing XV at this E3 is one of those instances where it would both be immensely disappointing yet completely expected. We can all have a good laugh about it the day after (and then cry).

HeelPower

Not seeing XV at this E3 is one of those instances where it would both be immensely disappointing yet completely expected. We can all have a good laugh about it the day after (and then cry).

Its highly likely.Unfortunately.In this game's case we can never be sure that delays mean well either :(

If stuff like witcher 3 is getting delayed , just imagine what that means for XV :v

Shahed

Yeah I've seen a lot of interest in this game (and FFXIV) from people who said they gave up on Final Fantasy after XIII. While I think there was damage to the brand, it's nothing a very good outing shouldn't fix. The reason the whole FF brand being dead came about is because we got a version a lot of people seemingly disliked, and instead of getting a brand new installment to look forward to, consumers got more of what wasn't wanted.

Assuming FFXV is a good game, there won't be a problem. However if it fails...

HeelPower

Yeah I've seen a lot of interest in this game (and FFXIV) from people who said they gave up on Final Fantasy after XIII. While I think there was damage to the brand, it's nothing a very good outing shouldn't tix. The reason the whole FF brand being dead came about is because we got a version a lot of people seemingly disliked, and instead of getting a brand new installment to look forward to, consumers got more of what wasn't wanted.

Assuming FFXV is a good game, there won't be a problem. However if it fails...

FFXIII is not even the problem anymore...The trilogy got progressively worse with each entry and LR is truly a damaging game in my perspective. They didn't give a shit about standards on that one.

SE HAS TO approach XV sequels differently.

Reveirg

Sorry but no. That game stems from part of the problem that disenchanted players to begin with.

I think the game is brilliant but it's obviously true the XIII trilogy alienated a lot of fans.

So did XII when it released but people came back for the next entry (XIII). FF isn't close to being dead.

HeelPower

They have to approach XV sequels by not making any. I'll be glad when XV is out so we can finally leave Fabula Nova Crystalis behind and move on.

Except they will make sequels.

They need to be conscientious about them and produce worthy titles.

bootski

been looking forward to this one for a long long time; preordered and waiting. never played X-2 and haven't really heard good things about it but i thought FFX was pretty damn solid.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think the game is brilliant but it's obviously true the XIII trilogy alienated a lot of fans.

So did XII when it released but people came back for the next entry (XIII). FF isn't close to being dead.

XII was at least critically acclaimed.

HeelPower

I'm honestly not sure how they can make sequels and still win with fans.

By having a unified vision both in terms of gameplay and writing when it comes to the sequels.

They always trivialize everything in the sequels.

They need to maintain mainline FF standards in the sequels and not just turn them into experimental dump sites.

Squire

Banned
I'm honestly not sure how they can make sequels and still win with fans.

By doing what Heel says. Making well thought out, good games. But to make successful sequels, you need a strong base. That's the difference between X-2 and XIII-2/LR.

Edit: Yeah, Heel's second post is also correct. They need to stop treating sequels like low-key after parties.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
By having a unified vision both in terms of gameplay and writing when it comes to the sequels.

They need to maintain mainline FF standards in the sequels and not just turn them into experimental dump sites.

This.

SE needs to stop being so coy with it then. Only going to make it worse - especially if the game is going through development trouble.

It's kind of hard to talk about development trouble for a game which was announced nearly 8 years ago now. The game has been put on hold so many times so Squenix could finish other games that no one really can say when it really started development.

BocoDragon

By doing what Heel says. Making well thought out, good games. But to make successful sequels, you need a strong base. That's the difference between X-2 and XIII-2/LR.

Edit: Yeah, Heel's second post is also correct. They need to stop treating sequels like low-key after parties.

Maybe guys. I don't think it's a bad thing that the sequels have been opposite in tone to the mainline games. If we only had mainline game standards the whole series might be stuck in ultra-serious melodrama. I think the whimsy in X-2 and the pop-musical time travel romp of XIII-2 have been interesting additions to FF history. I even like the LR situation where the previous cast shows up in a bizarre out-of-nowhere future scenario.

That would mean they would have to put as much the time, effort, and money into them as they do the main ones. But that defeats the purpose, for them,of making the sequels quickly and cheaply.

They only way for Notics' Orgy sequels to be consistent with the main entry would be to split XV into 2 or 3 parts.

pariah164

Three days leeeeeft! GET HYPE.

tumblr_lsemkc0nwt1qetmqsst.gif

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm not sure about the unification of story between sequels. I want my Final Fantasy game to be a self-contained story, with a beginning, middle and an end. If I play a title and it's very clearly just part of a story then I feel betrayed by the product (XIII-2).

I was fine with X-2 (and Revenant Wings) because the game was very clear it was doing it's own goofy thing, it had it's own tone and existed for fans of the original who wanted to revisit Spira in a happier context. The gameplay was very tight, the flipside of FFX's in how quickly it plays while still keeping strategic. It was clear what X-2 was. XIII-2 on the other hand had the nasty inference of saying "XIII wasn't a complete story, and this game is just the middle of a trilogy! Thanks for your money!" and masquerading itself as more important and polished (from a story and franchise perspective) than it actually was.

They only way for Notics' Orgy sequels to be consistent with the main entry would be to split XV into 2 or 3 parts.

If they did that, they wouldn't get my money until all the entries were bargain bin price. Tell a complete story. Be a complete experience.

Thoraxes

XII was at least critically acclaimed.
So was XIII.
Maybe guys. I don't think it's a bad thing that the sequels have been opposite in tone to the mainline games. If we only had mainline game standards the whole series might be stuck in ultra-serious melodrama. I think the whimsy in X-2 and the pop-musical time travel romp of XIII-2 have been interesting additions to FF history. I even like the LR situation where the previous cast shows up in a bizarre out-of-nowhere future scenario.
This.

So this will be up on the PS Store on Tuesday? Not really a fan of the artbook packaging so I'm thinking about going digital.

However, if the package was something like that, I would scoff at digital. Those are great.

ZeroX03

Banned
So was XIII.

I know Metacritic isn't a perfect measurement, but...

VII: 92
VIII: 90
IX: 94
X: 92
XII: 92
XIII: 83

For a series of the Final Fantasy pedigree, it's a huge drop. For additional reference:

X-2: 85
XIII-2: 79
XIII-3: 66

In a world, where X-2 outscores XIII...

Thoraxes

For a series of the Final Fantasy pedigree, it's a huge drop.

Not if you throw in games like X-2 and XI into the mix, the immediate predecessors of the game.

BocoDragon

For a series of the Final Fantasy pedigree, it's a huge drop.

An 83 game still isn't that bad.

Us FF fans are like High Expectations Asian Father.... Anything less than A+ is pathetic.

Thoraxes

XI and X-2 both outscored XIII, though one of them is an MMO and the other a sequel, so go figure.

Using that actual data, the drops took place in the series before XIII occurred, meaning it scored within expectations of the series' review scores based on the quality of the titles immeadiately around it in the decline.

BocoDragon

X-2: 85
XIII-2: 79
XIII-3: 66

That LR response still seems too low to me. It's so unique and off in its own direction. I blame XIII's reputation in society... A game with very odd charms comes along, and critics know they have a public mandate to rip a XIII game to shreds. It really deserves a kinder expectation of being its own thing, but the popular-to-shit-on XIII series games don't get that luxury.

ZeroX03

Banned
Using that actual data, the drops took place in the series before XIII occurred, meaning it scored within expectations of the series' review scores based on the quality of the titles immeadiately around it in the decline.

That's because you're comparing X-2 and XI, a SPIN-OFF and MMO to a mainline title. Those games didn't have the same expectations - and if you were around back then, both were very polarizing - so comparing them isn't particularly fair.

And XIII still underscored them.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That LR response still seems too low to me. It's so unique and off in its own direction. I blame XIII's reputation in society... A game with very odd charms comes along, and critics know they have a public mandate to rip a XIII game to shreds. It really deserves a kinder expectation of being its own thing, but the popular-to-shit-on XIII series games don't get that luxury.

This is honestly a poor excuse. Many people gave the sequels a fair chance and the scores are reasonable.

Top Bottom