• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Arthea

I tried chocobo catcher yesterday again. I did it so many times, decade ago and now, I still can't understand how that chocobo moves, it's incomprehensible, I point it to one direction, he moves to other, exasperating.
Also so far I had more free balloons on my side once, and this was run where I got hit by 3 birdies in a row, one came out of nowhere, than second hit while chocobo was stunned and at the moment went he started to move again, I think I could have gotten around 12 balloons this time, still not enough, never enough. How people GET AWAY WITH DOING SUCH HORRIBLE shit in their games, is beyond my understanding.

Anywhere you guys recommend to farm just after getting the Airship?

I tried going to Omega Ruins, and they still hit me hard for around 2k.

Banzai

Still find it funny to read Chocobo Catcher stories. Never need more than 3-5 tries for it (brag brag brag).
Anyone want to swap save files? I do the race, you catch all the monsters for me? (Would that even work?)

Arthea

Still find it funny to read Chocobo Catcher stories. Never need more than 3-5 tries for it (brag brag brag).
Anyone want to swap save files? I do the race, you catch all the monsters for me? (Would that even work?)
That's damn tempting, but saves are account related, so that's not possible

You might wanna do arena sidequest before, go catch those monsters
10 of each no less!
in older locations, you'll make some levels while doing it, at least I did, especially in the calm lands and cave of stolen Fayth

Falk

that puzzling face
Technically if you wanted to really expedite this wouldn't you be able to make a separate ps3 profile and log into his psn account to progress on his save? Not that I recommend ever giving out your profile information, obviously.

OmegaDL50

If you can go to Bikanel Island and get the Cactuar quest over with (No Encounter Armor helps)

You can fight Cactuars repeatedly once your done with it. They give you 12000 AP for an Overkill and can be easily take down in a single hit by Wakka since he has the highest natural accuracy stat in the game. They tend to dodge hits from everyone else unless their acc is boosted enough. Still just having your party defend and let Wakka do all the work is more the enough to get the AP you need to get a bunch of Sphere levels.

OR you could alternatively try to take on One Eye in the Battle Arena (Treat him like a boss and go all out on him with everything you have) And he drops weapons with Triple AP on them which triples your AP acquisition and leads to way to do the Don Tonberry trick.

Banzai

That's damn tempting, but saves are account related, so that's not possible

Too bad. I would have rather done the race 10 times more than go hunting, but exchanging profile information seems like a little much. I'm guessing we'd be locked out of trophies, too.

Goddammit do I hate monster hunting. Always makes me lose all motivation to continue.

I regret buying this on the Vita. I only bought this collection for X-2, and a big part of the appeal of X-2 is the incredible sexiness of the main characters. But the Vita's screen isn't big enough to let me see that sexiness. Should have gotten it on the PS3.

Arthea

I regret buying this on the Vita. I only bought this collection for X-2, and a big part of the appeal of X-2 is the incredible sexiness of the main characters. But the Vita's screen isn't big enough to let me see that sexiness. Should have gotten it on the PS3.

guys, I told you this in older thread, PS3 version is one to go with, these looks gorgeous, especially for such old games

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, for some of us, the JRPG grind makes commute bearable.

Or commute makes JRPG grind bearable.

One or the other.

Arthea

Well, for some of us, the JRPG grind makes commute bearable.

Or commute makes JRPG grind bearable.

One or the other.

you have a point, as I don't commute by any public means, PS3 is the best option.
OTOH, I don't know that many JRPGs where grind is required, FFX is rather exception than rule.

Falk

that puzzling face
Guided Fate Paradox.

That's JRPG grinding in a roguelike which makes it worse.

Or, of course, Bravely Default. The bosses -will- kick your ass.

ZeroX03

Banned
you have a point, as I don't commute by any public means, PS3 is the best option.
OTOH, I don't know that many JRPGs where grind is required, FFX is rather exception than rule.

FFX doesn't require grinding for the main story, few JRPGs do.

Almost all of them require grinding for side content though.

Holykael1

Banned
not really, most doesn't require grinding even for sidequests, and none on the level of FFX that I know of.

No, most require grinding exclusively for sidequests.
Atleast I never had a problem in beating 95% of JRPG's I played without grinding for the main story.

OmegaDL50

not really, most doesn't require grinding even for sidequests, and none on the level of FFX that I know of.

You should play some of the Disgaea titles then. Also FFX is entirely possible to complete without even touching the sphere grid. In fact there are videos on Youtube that showcase NSG runs.

Of course this applies to just the story mode. I don't believe this applies to the side content such as the Dark Aeons or tougher Arena battles.

Arthea

You should play some of the Disgaea titles then. Also FFX is entirely possible to complete without even touching the sphere grid. In fact there are videos on Youtube that showcase NSG runs.

Of course this applies to just the story mode. I don't believe this applies to the side content such as the Dark Aeons or tougher Arena battles.

Disgaeas gameplay is grinding, and it's TRPG, not JRPG.
I stand by my words, I don't need to grind in most JRPGs that I've played, and that is hundreds of them, sidequests included, and as for FFX, I remind you, that we are talking about side content, not about story, you don't need to grind for that, of course.

ZeroX03

Banned
I stand by my words, I don't need to grind in most JRPGs that I've played, and that is hundreds of them, sidequests included, and as for FFX, I remind you, that we are talking about side content, not about story, you don't need to grind for that, of course.
Your words are wrong. Every Final Fantasy from VII onward has something you need to grind for either sidequests or superbosses, Tales, Legaia, most SMT, etc.

And yes, technically you can beat most superbosses in most RPGs without grinding, but that requires significant research and prep that's equivalent in time anyway.

Holykael1

Banned

I thought you were arguing otherwise nvm..

OmegaDL50

I'm not one to argue semantics over genre connotations, while Disgaea is a Tactical RPG is STILL a subset over the genre in question we are talking about.

Arthea

Your words are wrong. Every Final Fantasy from VII has something you need to grind for either sidequests or superbosses, Tales, Legaia, most SMT, etc.

And yes, technically you can beat most superbosses in most RPGs without grinding, but that requires significant research and prep that's equivalent in time anyway.

My words may be wrong for you, but for me they are still true ;)

Not sure what you mean by it, actually.

ZeroX03

Banned
My words may be wrong for you, but for me they are still true ;)

Not sure what you mean by it, actually.

So you're telling me you did all this without grinding:
- Final Fantasy VII's Ruby and Emerald
- Final Fantasy VIII's Omega Weapon and played without Triple Triad
- Final Fantasy IX's Ozma
- Final Fantasy XII's Marks and Yiazmat
- Final Fantasy XIII's Ultimate Weapons (and the missions are a big grind really)
- Legend of Legaia's Lapis
- Every Tales game's Titles and Superbosses
- SMT Devil Survivor's Lucifer
- Persona 3 and 4's Superbosses aren't that hard, but only because you have to go around the game twice to get to them.
- I'm forgetting heaps of others, obviously.

Some of these games sidequests are just massive fetch quests alone that are grinds by the sheer nature of the task. I don't know where you're coming from saying FFX has grinding while the others don't. X also has Yojimbo, which massively expedites things.

ramyeon

- Persona 3 and 4's Superbosses aren't that hard, but only because you have to go around the game twice to get to them.
Elizabeth/Theo are muuuuch harder than Margaret in 4. And in P3P you don't need to be in New Game+ to fight her/him. It requires way more planning and grinding for materials to make those skills that have become items and are basically required to win (Armageddon etc). And if you don't use the right Persona at the right times you can be screwed really easily.

If you're not following a guide I'd say they're pretty damn hard.

ZeroX03

Banned
Elizabeth/Theo are muuuuch harder than Margaret in 4. And in P3P you don't need to be in New Game+ to fight her/him. It requires way more planning and grinding for materials to make those skills that have become items and are basically required to win (Armageddon etc). And if you don't use the right Persona at the right times you can be screwed really easily.

If you're not following a guide I'd say they're pretty damn hard.

Sorry, it's been a long time since I've played P3, trying to remember superbosses and sidequests from memory.

ramyeon

Sorry, it's been a long time since I've played P3, trying to remember superbosses and sidequests from memory.
Haha I don't think I can ever forget my first fight with Theo in P3P... D: Never bothered with Elizabeth in the PS2 version so it was quite the shock.

Arthea

So you're telling me you did all this without grinding:
- Final Fantasy VII's Ruby and Emerald
- Final Fantasy VIII's Omega Weapon and played without Triple Triad
- Final Fantasy IX's Ozma
- Final Fantasy XII's Marks and Yiazmat
- Final Fantasy XIII's Ultimate Weapons (and the missions are a big grind really)
- Legend of Legaia's Lapis
- Every Tales game's Titles and Superbosses
- SMT Devil Survivor's Lucifer
- I'm forgetting heaps of others, obviously.

Some of these games sidequests are just massive fetch quests alone that are grinds by the sheer nature of the task. I don't know where you're coming from saying FFX has grinding while the others don't. X also has Yojimbo, which massively expedites things.
I killed all weapons without grinding many times, you can choose to believe me or not, but I did. In this case it might be not very fair to say that, as I know FF7 really well, I played it 12 times during the years. (><)
I don't quite get why would you call Triple Triad grinding, it's one of my favourite minigames in any game, I don't see it as grinding, rather than playing a game.
I beat Ozma at least once and I don't remember grinding in FF9, but than again I played it very long ago, I could have forgotten.
Don't remember doing optional stuff in LoL, so probably I didn't.
I never grind in Tales, I'm still a super human at the end of them, that's how Tales roll if you don't evade battles too much, that is. And having save plus option and playing games multiple times kinda eliminates grinding anyway, these still can be long games, grinding or no.
Persona games, especially 3, consist of grinding, what else is there?
I never finished Lucifer, I hate that game, so you might be right about it requiring grinding, seeing as I hate it and all (><)
FF13 - no grinding for me, yup killed everything and everyone
FF12 is grinding, all game is nothing else but boring grindfest

So you see, I'm not trying just to contradict you, it's how it is, I don't much like games that require grinding, I did exception for FFX, though, for better or worse!

ramyeon

Persona games, especially 3, consist of grinding, what else is there?
Huh? You really shouldn't have to grind in Persona 3 or 4 as long as you're using the fusion system often. There are only a few bosses that I recall even needed grinding for. If you're fighting enemies as you go then you don't have to do extra grinding. If you do you will end up seriously OP.

Don't get why you would say there's nothing but grinding in Persona games.

Arthea

Huh? You really shouldn't have to grind in Persona 3 or 4 as long as you're using the fusion system often. There are only a few bosses that I recall even needed grinding for. If you're fighting enemies as you go then you don't have to do extra grinding. If you do you will end up seriously OP.

Don't get why you would say there's nothing but grinding in Persona games.

you misunderstood me, I think all SMT series gameplay feels like grinding, and even more so Persona 3 random generated 1000 floor high, incredibly boring dungeon, if it feels like grinding, it is. Not that you have any reason to go to that tower, other than grind!

edited: actually sorry for off topic, what persona games have to do with this thread?

ZeroX03

Banned
Arthea, I think the issue is that you see 'grinding' as anything you don't enjoy, while if you find something fun you don't think of it as grinding.

As pointed out, Persona 3 and 4 require very little grinding, once you make it to the end of a dungeon you should be ready for the boss.

Arthea

Arthea, I think the issue is that you see 'grinding' as anything you don't enjoy, while if you find something fun you don't think of it as grinding.

As pointed out, Persona 3 and 4 require very little grinding, once you make it to the end of a dungeon you should be ready for the boss.

you might be right about it, although I have my reasoning, but it's not the place or time to discuss that, let's just drop this and get back to FFX and FFX-2.

ramyeon

you misunderstood me, I think all SMT series gameplay feels like grinding, and even more so Persona 3 random generated 1000 floor high, incredibly boring dungeon, if it feels like grinding, it is. Not that you have any reason to go to that tower, other than grind!

edited: actually sorry for off topic, what persona games have to do with this thread?
The Tartarus in Persona 3 is only 264 floors high lol. That said yeah, you're misunderstanding the term grinding. Grinding does not mean doing dungeons that you don't enjoy. It means doing random encounter after random encounter in an area for an extended period of time with the express purpose of gaining EXP to level up.

Or in the case of FFX in order to get the AP and Spheres required to fill out the Sphere Grid.

Something I have no intention of ever doing, because I know it won't be fun. No point playing if it's not for fun.

JimPanzer

so i forgot to grab the sun crest and now have to kill dark bahamut to get it. what weapon should I build for tidus until I'm ablet to grab it (-> beat dark bahamut)?

3) As much as your brain is going to tell you to go for beautiful red balloons, they are second priority. Once the birds start coming, dodge dodge dodge. Of course, you still have to get a lot of balloons, but I always get whacked by birds ten times more when I'm obsessed with getting a balloon.

When I do this I get like 8 balloons total, so it doesn't even matter if I dodge the birds or not, I still won't win.

What I do is go for the balloons which are not straight ahead of me. Eventually I'll luck my way through.

ramyeon

But I tried it and when I pulled out Yojimbo he automatically used his dagger throw skill oO
Whether or not he uses Zanmato is dependent on a bunch of variables. You need to pay him more money to increase your chances beyond that. It's not guaranteed that he'll one hit kill everything every time you summon him, that'd be way too easy lol.
When I do this I get like 8 balloons total, so it doesn't even matter if I dodge the birds or not, I still won't win.

What I do is go for the balloons which are not straight ahead of me. Eventually I'll luck my way through.
If you get all the balloons on the first slope you should not have to worry about it, you're pretty much guaranteed to get at least around 12+.

JimPanzer

Whether or not he uses Zanmato is dependent on a bunch of variables. You need to pay him more money to increase your chances beyond that. It's not guaranteed that he'll one hit kill everything every time you summon him, that'd be way too easy lol.

yeah I know, but I didn't even have the chance to give him money

ramyeon

Not if you strictly focus on dodging birds instead of getting balloons you won't.
Yeah you will because if you make sure to get all of them on the first slope you'll be more than half way there. The rest is up to luck with how the balloons are positioned. You're much more likely to be successful if you focus on dodging the birds.

JimPanzer

Sometimes he randomly uses a move when you summon him without you paying him. This is usually a good luck thing, just not against the Dark Aeons. Just try again. It does work.

ahh ok, thanks. happened to me once and I thought it would happen all the time.

Shahed

I don't think I've ever grinded for any game content in a Tales game. I've done an hour of grinding for the Eleth Mixer Trophy in Graces F and maybe some Tidal Wave spam for Grade in Vesperia. But they aren't really grinding to access content. In fact most RPG's I play I don't really grind to access the majority of the side content. They normally offer side quests or extra dungeons that scale well so if doing them in the right order, it brings you up to the standard required for the later content naturally. FFX seems an outlier in that bar the minigames, it's all grinding and more grinding in terms of extra content. If it was grinding that varied or had some purpose, it would be fine. As in go through this dungeon, kill the boss at the end and get the items and you should get the levels/equipment needed along the way. But it's just tedious.

For example by the time I finished the main story of Graces, did the future Arc and then the extra dungeon back in the main Arc I was about 75 hours. A couple hours later grinding for that one trophy, I was done with the game. 2 hours out of nearly 80. In FFX's case I was done with the main quest ane the mini games around the 45. It's essentially been 20 hours of grinding since with more to come. I still love the game, but they coule have balanced it all better

Panthers

Most JRPGs have some content that want to reward players for taking the time and effort to max out their characters. Every FF (since FFVII that I know of) had superbosses that required you grind quite a bit, but none of them required grinding for main story.

Top Bottom