• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

So the lightning dodge is not hard, but man is it tedious. I tend to get my concentration broken after the 50th one. I honestly wish it was only 100.

Yeah you will because if you make sure to get all of them on the first slope you'll be more than half way there. The rest is up to luck with how the balloons are positioned. You're much more likely to be successful if you focus on dodging the birds.

I'll repeat what I said, when I focus on dodging birds I don't get any balloons.

I got 5 down the initial ramp just last night and only ended up with 6, because I focused on dodging.

The moment I stopped dodging, and just started picking my balloon choices better is when I started getting 12+ balloons.

And just a few runs later I had 15 balloons and 1 bird, and got the Sigil.

I don't know how anybody can "focus on dodging the birds" and actually get balloons. Unless you are directly behind the trainer there is always at least one bird headed at you. Probably 2-3.

ramyeon

I'll repeat what I said, when I focus on dodging birds I don't get any balloons.

I got 5 down the initial ramp just last night and only ended up with 6, because I focused on dodging.

The moment I stopped dodging, and just started picking my balloon choices better is when I started getting 12+ balloons.

I don't know how anybody can "focus on dodging the birds" and actually get balloons. Unless you are directly behind the trainer there is always at least one bird headed at you. Probably 2-3.
I was giving advice based on my experience. Not trying to argue with you. I understand that mini-game stresses people out but relax, you don't need to take it out on me :p

I'm glad you got it.

Tiamant

I know I said I didn't want to see any more chocobos but...

MGgAIKJ.jpg

tNadhTf.jpg

All this avian power is MINE, Chocobo Cup here I come!

I found that, if the trainer is behind you and off screen then you don't even have to worry about birds until the final stretch. But by then you should have enough ballons. I also found that tapping the d-pad provides the best control.

I gave up on the lightning dodge - i just got tired of the game and wanted to move on to the superior battle system. However, I did notice that if you tap x in time with the music on the thunder plains then Tidus will always dodge. Unfirtunately my rhythym sucks so I kept getting just over 100 then messing up due to boredom and distraction. Maybe someone who can actually hold a beat can try it out.

I was giving advice based on my experience. Not trying to argue with you. I understand that mini-game stresses people out but relax, you don't need to take it out on me :p

I'm glad you got it.

Sorry if it felt like I was attacking you. That was not my intent.

The advice I always remember from years ago was to not get a balloon if you know it'll result in getting hit by a bird, which somewhere over the years turned in to focus on dodging the birds purple monkey dishwasher. You can dodge the birds all day but if you get no balloons it won't help, at some point you have to focus on the balloons.

SkylineRKR

Lightning dodge was probably my easiest Sigil. It wasn't bad to do. I let my dinner sink in while doing it (I already had some 100 on the count), had about 20 minutes of nothing do do anyway. Constantly did the same thing, sometimes thinking of other things. I decided to not take any chances and continue on, ended up with 455 dodges.

ramyeon

Sorry if it felt like I was attacking you. That was not my intent.

The advice I always remember from years ago was to not get a balloon if you know it'll result in getting hit by a bird, which somewhere over the years turned in to focus on dodging the birds purple monkey dishwasher. You can dodge the birds all day but if you get no balloons it won't help, at some point you have to focus on the balloons.
Well that's what worked for me and a few others in this thread. I managed to get it done in like half an hour doing that, never tried to do it back on the PS2.

Tiu Neo

Got the chocobo dodging sigil yesterday, in something like 5 or 6 tries. I remember having a hard time when I got it on the PS2.

I got VERY lucky on that, before that I was getting times between 4 and 20 seconds.

Next, lightning dodging. *sigh*

Holmes

I think I'm gonna try pinning the blame on
Rikku
for the Mi'ihen Chocobo mystery. I've always only been able to get the default Chocobo Eater when I was younger.

For the people doing the lightning dodge, I have a little question/issue. Is the left side of the crater bugged? I known to press the X button during the flash and still gotten hit. It only happens if I steer toward the left side of the crater. I stay on the right and have zero issue. Hoping to be able to do it before lunch. My record so far is around 110.

Holmes

For the people doing the lightning dodge, I have a little question/issue. Is the left side of the crater bugged? I known to press the X button during the flash and still gotten hit. It only happens if I steer toward the left side of the crater. I stay on the right and have zero issue. Hoping to be able to do it before lunch. My record so far is around 110.
That's weird, I did my lightning dodging on the left side of the crater, closest to the lightning tower. I was afraid that if I was too far from the tower, I could get hit by a rogue lightning strike.

ramyeon

Follow the method on this video:

http://youtu.be/PNjKL7aZY4E

It isn't bugged, you can even press X Just before the flash and still dodge. The timing is really lenient.

The butterflies were easy, the chocobo race took about 20 minutes of trying, FUCK THE LIGHTNING. Even with that 'glitch' above for easy timing I'm still only getting about 75-80. I either press it too early or it seems sometimes you run through the crater without the flash and that always ends me.

Follow the method on this video:

http://youtu.be/PNjKL7aZY4E

It isn't bugged, you can even press X Just before the flash and still dodge. The timing is really lenient.

Oh, I am. I done the early thing as well. I am just curious because I have gotten hit when I swear I dodged it. Perhaps it is just the exact center of the crater. I am sticking to the right just in case. I have little issues with that. Now at 50. Only 150 to go!

Even with that 'glitch' above for easy timing I'm still only getting about 75-80. I either press it too early or it seems sometimes you run through the crater without the flash and that always ends me.
I honestly think the center of the crater is bugged. What I tend to do is if a flash does not happen when near the crater, I get back on the road and run to the tower. I generally will not have a random bolt come down.

Holmes

The lightning flashes the exact moment you touch the crater's boundary. It might be hard to see with the fog, but if you get to a position where you can see exactly when Tidus' foot touches the crater's boundary, you can press X at that exact moment and he'll dodge.

ramyeon

Oh, I am. I done the early thing as well. I am just curious because I have gotten hit when I swear I dodged it. Perhaps it is just the exact center of the crater. I am sticking to the right just in case. I have little issues with that. Now at 50. Only 150 to go!

I honestly think the center of the crater is bugged. What I tend to do is if a flash does not happen when near the crater, I get back on the road and run to the tower. I generally will not have a random bolt come down.
You don't need to be going that far into the crater. If you're following that video I posted it flashes as soon as you hit the edge, it really is super easy.

The lightning flashes the exact moment you touch the crater's boundary. It might be hard to see with the fog, but if you get to a position where you can see exactly when Tidus' foot touches the crater's boundary, you can press X at that exact moment and he'll dodge.
Ah, thanks for that. I was wondering why sometimes a bolt would not generate. I find it easier to do in bursts of 20-25.

Holmes

Ah, thanks for that. I was wondering why sometimes a bolt would not generate. I find it easier to do in bursts of 20-25.
If you can see when Tidus' foot touches the boundary and get a steady rhythm, you can easily dodge 20 bolts every minute with little stress. The only annoying thing is when the fog comes rolling in and you have a harder time seeing the crater.

Levyne

Banned
I have no idea what I missed but FFX's grinding is a bit different (and in my opinion, worse) than others because so much of it takes place in the menu. By that I mean you can easily "level up" but then you have to spend hours just to apply stat ups to your characters.

Though I have probably missed many nuances of the conversation, but I need to get to work.

Edit: To say what I mean, only more concisely: The Sphere Grid starts to feel really slow to navigate one you have 99 slevels to spend.

Ourobolus

Banned

For me it was because I didn't run far enough away from the crater that time. The way I did it, there were two black spots on the ground south of the crater - I ran around the bottom one before coming back to the crater. Seemed to be far enough.

Shahed

I have no idea what I missed but FFX's grinding is a bit different (and in my opinion, worse) than others because so much of it takes place in the menu. By that I mean you can easily "level up" but then you have to spend hours just to apply stat ups to your characters.

Though I have probably missed many nuances of the conversation, but I need to get to work.

Edit: To say what I mean, only more concisely: The Sphere Grid starts to feel really slow to navigate one you have 99 slevels to spend.

This as well. I've just spent a good while on the Sphere Grid with getting Tidus, Rikku and Wakka stronger. He's at 255 Strength now, with 185 Def and 199 Mag Def. It takes ages going around the grid with 90 odd sphere levels that it's mind numbing, even moreso with 3 characters. I'm so glad I decided early on not to bother levelling the other 4 characters. They'll only need to backtrack their own route and minor part of a second's path. They'll be able to complete the rest of teh grid in one go. Tidus, Wakka and Rikku will have to backtrack through their own routes plus Auron's again. It wasn't until I started taking them down Yuna's and now Lulu's path that I've been filling every node in along the way. At least I'm not far of finishing Defence. After that I'll just put Magic Defense spheres in everywhere

ubercheez

I think I'm gonna try pinning the blame on
Rikku
for the Mi'ihen Chocobo mystery. I've always only been able to get the default Chocobo Eater when I was younger.

That's always the route I end up going. You get a fantastic item from it, and it still allows for 100% completion unlike certain of the other culprits. The cutscene's pretty funny too.

Shahed

And now time to do 3x99 Sphere Levels again. At least this should be the last time before I have all the stats needed to take everyone on. I can complete the grid later

Luigi87

Since there is no way I can beat One-Eye at the moment, would my best bet be dedicate one team to grinding in Omega Ruins until those three can beat it?

Beat FFX for the first time last night. I got to the last boss back on ps2 but was so underleveled I never could beat him. Finally feels good to check it off my list. Now to decide whether I do all the extra stuff...

Levyne

Banned
Why would you only grind 3 characters? You can grind them all at the same time surely?

Well, simply grind 3 so that you can get strong enough to kill one eye, you can get ap weapons for everyone, and then everyone is privy to Don Tonberry slevels. Swapping out characters for AP in the Ruins just doesn't seem like it would be very beneficial at that point.

ZeroX03

Banned
Since there is no way I can beat One-Eye at the moment, would my best bet be dedicate one team to grinding in Omega Ruins until those three can beat it?

You should have the items to make at least one AP farming weapon without needing One-Eye, make it for Tidus or Wakka, finish most of the sphere grid with them and then one overdrive with a Celestial Weapon to kill One-Eye over and over.

Well, simply grind 3 so that you can get strong enough to kill one eye, you can get ap weapons for everyone, and then everyone is privy to Don Tonberry slevels. Swapping out characters for AP in the Ruins just doesn't seem like it would be very beneficial at that point.

Oh I seeeee. My OCD wouldn't allow me to do that ;)

Gearing up for making Armour/Weapon sets now for the end-game content. Just trying to plan out my sets.

I know Auto Regen/Auto Haste/Ribbon is a general good set of things for the end bosses. Is there something I should add to that? (Protect?)

There's also the AP building Tonberry Set.

There's the no encounter weapon for bolts/butterflies/etc.

There's the capture weapon with stonetouch or something to assist there.

Am I forgetting anything?

The funny thing about balance is my team is all out of whack. I never use Auron because his lack of speed is a hindrance based on the Expert Sphere. Rikku tends to get most levels because I often steal. My two most powerful fighters are Tidus and Wakka. Then it is Kimarhi, Lulu, Yuna, then Auron. Sorry Auron...

Edit: So yeah I have been attempting the lightning dodge. I am at 100 now. Going to try to calm myself down a bit before the next batch. I will say though I think the Vita version is easier because the flash lasts longer. It is just a shame the button is so small.

Saphirax

Gearing up for making Armour/Weapon sets now for the end-game content. Just trying to plan out my sets.

I know Auto Regen/Auto Haste/Ribbon is a general good set of things for the end bosses. Is there something I should add to that? (Protect?)

There's also the AP building Tonberry Set.

There's the no encounter weapon for bolts/butterflies/etc.

There's the capture weapon with stonetouch or something to assist there.

Am I forgetting anything?

You don't need a No Encounter weapon for catching butterflies. Also, I was under the impression Auto Haste and Auto Protect were a must, but Auto Regen and Ribbon is up to you. Auto Phoenix is also great.

The funny thing about balance is my team is all out of whack. I never use Auron because his lack of speed is a hindrance based on the Expert Sphere. Rikku tends to get most levels because I often steal. My two most powerful fighters are Tidus and Wakka. Then it is Kimarhi, Lulu, Yuna, then Auron. Sorry Auron...

Edit: So yeah I have been attempting the lightning dodge. I am at 100 now. Going to try to calm myself down a bit before the next batch. I will say though I think the Vita version is easier because the flash lasts longer. It is just a shame the button is so small.

Lol, I'm playing on the PS3 so I'm curious as to why the small button is a problem?

You don't need a No Encounter weapon for catching butterflies. Also, I was under the impression Auto Haste and Auto Protect were a must, but Auto Regen and Ribbon is up to you. Auto Phoenix is also great.

Auto-phoenix is also most likely a must.

so 100% you should have:

Auto-Haste
Auto-Protect
Auto-Phoenix

then choose between (depending on situation):

Auto-potion
Ribbon

ZeroX03

Banned
Holy crap, just finished a fiend tale. Was not expecting a whole cutscene devoted to a Gold Elemental's plight. That's really cool.

Lol, I'm playing on the PS3 so I'm curious as to why the small button is a problem?

Well, I meant the Vita. The PS3 problem is really the lag delay. Even with putting it to 720, to me it seems the flash is barely there. I think the Vita version has the same flash time as the PS2 from what I seen. I don't know why they sped it up in the PS3 version.

Well, I meant the Vita. The PS3 problem is really the lag delay. Even with putting it to 720, to me it seems the flash is barely there. I think the Vita version has the same flash time as the PS2 from what I seen. I don't know why they sped it up in the PS3 version.

Yeah I know you meant the on the Vita - what I'm saying is that I have no experience with it on the Vita and can't envisage why the size of the button should cause you problems?

Eh, it has more to do with wireless and display latency, not the game being sped up.

ZeroX03

Banned
Damn, I want to see one now. I'm in Chapter 3 but I've ignored creature capturing entirely.

I thought it would just be a text box, but nope, a proper (but unvoiced) cutscene.

Also Psychic dressphere from the tournament is super cool. As is Festivalist. X-2's extra content is awesome.

Yeah I know you meant the on the Vita - what I'm saying is that I have no experience with it on the Vita and can't envisage why the size of the button should cause you problems?

Mostly hurts the thumbs trying to mash the button. My hand gets sore after about 30 of them. The issue really does not matter in the main game or any other sidequest.

Also, yeah it could be latency. It just seems like the flash is shorter on the PS3 version. Although the timing will give it to you if you can predict the bolt. So at least it isn't that strict.

I think this is my next Vita purchase. I played FFX back on PS2, but don't remember if I ever beat the last boss and never touched X-2.

I cleared some space yesterday, but think I might wait to finish Danganronpa before picking it up.

Top Bottom