• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

I know exactly how that is. I had trouble finding spots for my XIII-2 LE, or my copy of XII with the steelbook. Same thing with all the ATLUS 3DS games that came in that different packaging too! I ended up cornering them off in their own little section to try and keep things somewhat orderly.

Plus I tend to sell my cool limited shit on ebay anyway after the "this is cool" wears off. I'd rather have everything orderly. If it were coming in some kind of box with a normal game case and a nice artbook that would be different.

Squire

Banned
Maybe guys. I don't think it's a bad thing that the sequels have been opposite in tone to the mainline games. If we only had mainline game standards the whole series might be stuck in ultra-serious melodrama. I think the whimsy in X-2 and the pop-musical time travel romp of XIII-2 have been interesting additions to FF history. I even like the LR situation where the previous cast shows up in a bizarre out-of-nowhere future scenario.

I will say that a couple of years ago it was pointed out to me that X-2 is actually a pretty interesting look at what happens to a society that's given total freedom after generations of total oppression.

I don't think XIII-2 or LR have anything like that going for them, but yes, you can take sequels in different directions that are legitimately interesting.

But Heels point stands: They need a unified vision and strong writing that doesn't dump on the achievements of the original.
I love X-2, but it undoes one of the most meaningful losses I've ever felt in a game.
That's kind of a bummer.

^Actual spoiler there, first timers!

mcfrank

I stopped by the gallery tonight in Alhambra, CA and was able to snag a Vita copy. Here are some pictures from the exhibit. The FFX-2 code appears to be not working yet.
n9wIAev.jpg

OcO1qck.jpg

VSKXOh8.jpg

E1mUQo8.jpg

iRv9q0X.jpg

VKltSno.jpg

0nVrnjW.jpg

HcqP0JJ.jpg

Ixion

I apologize if this has already been asked, but will we be able to purchase these games individually on PS3 if we buy them digitally?

wmlk

Darn it, the preorder bonus to get the Limited Edition is gone, right? I was still undecided and I messed up.

Aurizen

Bahamut is the only aeon I don't like in FF X. =/

wha?! Bahamut is one of THE best. Next to Anima of course, No one is better than her. Shame the X-2 code doesn't work yet. I know some people dont want theirs maybe they will give them away when its release.

wha?! Bahamut is one of THE best. Next to Anima of course, No one is better than her. Shame the X-2 code doesn't work yet. I know some people dont want theirs maybe they will give them away when its release.

Yeah, probably just me as many people like it, my favorite one is the Bahamut from FF IX.

Every time I read the topic title of this thread, A Fleeting Dream starts playing in my head.

Not like that's a bad thing though!

mcfrank

Game looks pretty nice on Vita, but the biggest improvement over the PS2 version (as I remember it) is in the load times. In and out of battles is instant so far which makes a big difference.

mcfrank

Any idea if they'll be selling more copies tomorrow?

The had plenty of PS3 copies (probably a stack of 15) and then maybe 5 more Vita copies. They had a lot of displays of the big limited collection, but I don't know if they were just boxes. If you get there close to opening, I think you will be fine.

MrDenny

Let us continue the FFX/X-2 HYPE

FFX/X-2 art director Yusuke Naora created this piece at Gallery Nucleus today

Bi0N-GRCUAAENN1.jpg

He had about an hour to do it while he answered questions.
He was finishing the backdrop and then pasted tidus and yuna into the scene.
Fun fact, he said a part of ffx was inspired by l.a.
I believe he said the airship color scheme was inspired by the lakers.

Jeels

I know that I'm tempted to get it because X-2. Then I remember I just look that stuff up online for free.
Still want to get it

I found a crappy unboxing of the guide, it looks okay but it's pretty hard to parse how decent the actual content is.

Still getting it just for the pretty pictures though.

Based off that video, it looks like the old X and X-2 guides stuck together. I want to know though if it includes all the extra content as well as a guide on obtaining the trophies 100 percenting it with the new international content as well. Or if its just a copy/pasta.

ZeroX03

Banned
Based off that video, it looks like the old X and X-2 guides stuck together. I want to know though if it includes all the extra content as well as a guide on obtaining the trophies 100 percenting it with the new international content as well. Or if its just a copy/pasta.

They would've had to have done a pretty awful job then. The regular sphere grid is slightly different between the international version and the U.S., extra skills, celestial item name changes, some stat differences in enemies etc. Not just Dark Aeons, they'll have to change their numbers and other stuff as well.

Can anyone recommend a particular walkthrough? I've beaten the game (non-Int) but that was nearly 10 years ago. I only want to have one playthrough but plan to complete it, so no missables (like primers, Jecht sphere, etc).

Also I heard the Piggyback guide covers International? Is it complete though?

AmanoBuff

I stopped by the gallery tonight in Alhambra, CA and was able to snag a Vita copy. Here are some pictures from the exhibit. The FFX-2 code appears to be not working yet.

Nice shots! Thanks a lot for sharing.

Btw. The code for FFX-2 will be active starting on the 18th.

Can anyone recommend a particular walkthrough? I've beaten the game (non-Int) but that was nearly 10 years ago. I only want to have one playthrough but plan to complete it, so no missables (like primers, Jecht sphere, etc).

Also I heard the Piggyback guide covers International? Is it complete though?

I still have my original guide that includes everything about the dark aeons and the other content. Since nothing has changed in the EU release of 10 it's still perfectly fine to use.

Flandy

Anyone have tips for X-2? I remember when I played it on my PS2 I wasn't too good at it because I tended to stick with one job so all my others were under leveled.

SirNinja

A little before-and-after while we wait this last weekend out:

Sinspawn Ammes
Original (PCSX2, high-res)
HD Remaster

Wakka's Home
Original
HD

"That's how it's done!"
Original
HD

Mi'ihen Ruins
Original (PCSX2 w/widescreen hack)
HD

The Monster Arena
Original
HD

Overlooking Zanarkand
Original (PCSX2 upscaled, and with some weird texture filter[?])
HD

Behemoth Encounter
HD

Menu (X-2)
Original
HD

More to come...

(It's amazing how good the PS2 version looked in our minds, isn't it?)

Sinspawn Ammes
Original (PCSX2, high-res)
HD Remaster

Wakka's Home
Original
HD

"That's how it's done!"
Original
HD

Mi'ihen Ruins
HD

The Monster Arena
Original
HD

Overlooking Zanarkand
Original (PCSX2 upscaled, and with some weird texture filter[?])
HD

Behemoth Encounter
HD

Menu (X-2)
Original
HD

More to come...

(It's amazing how good the PS2 version looked in our minds, isn't it?)

nU8RuQr.gif

pariah164

So, just looked up my order on GameStop; I selected ship to store since I didn't want to pay shipping. My strategy guide order is open, but my game order says closed. Kinda freaking out, too late to call the store. What do, GAF?

ZeroX03

Banned
Anyone have tips for X-2? I remember when I played it on my PS2 I wasn't too good at it because I tended to stick with one job so all my others were under leveled.

It's not too tough once you understand the job system, and keep your job levels and abilities balanced. You can grind them up pretty freely, IIRC the Mi'hen Highway is a good place to do that early on. It's pretty easy to break the game with the right combination. I do remember the early game being a bit tougher than X though.

If you're going for 100% completion that's a different story. You have to follow a specific path of events that is easily done, but has so many missable things it's easy to screw up. There is NG+ though, so just play through the game casually and just NG+ it if you want to go for 100%.

Korezo

Found my strategy guides that are 13 and 10+ years old! I wonder if it's still good even though the game is the international version. And pls square release FFXII!!!

BwIJgYT.jpg

Flandy

It's not too tough once you understand the job system, and keep your job levels and abilities balanced. You can grind them up pretty freely, IIRC the Mi'hen Highway is a good place to do that early on. It's pretty easy to break the game with the right combination. I do remember the early game being a bit tougher than X though.

If you're going for 100% completion that's a different story. You have to follow a specific path of events that is easily done, but has so many missable things it's easy to screw up. There is NG+ though, so just play through the game casually and just NG+ it if you want to go for 100%.

I've never actually beat X-2 myself. I've gotten to somewhere around the end of chapter 5 but the rest I watch on youtube. I sucked that much at X-2 x__x Any other tips would really be welcome.

I have come to accept the fact that I will NEVER 100% X-2 myself. So much freaking ridiculous/missable stuff you need to do. Pressing X or w/e to whistle with no hint at all in the farplane. Why the hell did they think that was a good idea? Did they design X-2 in this way just to sell guides?

AmanoBuff

Are any of the current guides available digitally? Like in PDF or something? I'd much rather have them on my smartphone/tablet for easier access.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've never actually beat X-2 myself. I've gotten to somewhere around the end of chapter 5 but the rest I watch on youtube. I sucked that much at X-2 x__x Any other tips would really be welcome.

I have come to accept the fact that I will NEVER 100% X-2 myself. So much freaking ridiculous/missable stuff you need to do. Pressing X or w/e to whistle with no hint at all in the farplane. Why the hell did they think that was a good idea? Did they design X-2 in this way just to sell guides?

It's been a long time since I've played X-2 so my memory is very fuzzy on actual gameplay tips, sorry.

If you want to 100% easily, just side with
New Yevon
on your first playthrough and then do the opposite on your NG+. It's much easier than following a strict guide, and gives you much more leeway to miss things since you get two playthroughs. Strictly following a 100% guide significantly drains the fun out of the game IMO.

Are any of the current guides available digitally? Like in PDF or something? I'd much rather have them on my smartphone/tablet for easier access.

You can find the old guides online, but they're not accurate to the international editions.

Finally made it to the gallery at like 8PM. They were wrapping things up, but it was still nice to take part in the festivities. I also snagged the CE edition of the game. (Without having to deal with Digital Rivers!)

There was a big wall where you can vote for your favorite scene.

I voted for the Laughing Scene. How could I resist if they put up as a viable answer?!

Also ran into some cosplayers who were nice enough to pose for pics:

Ng0WcUw.jpg

XBAtufQ.jpg

At the end, there was a bit where two of the producers (I think) were talking about how moved they were by fan response for the game and wanted to share the fans' passion with their colleagues in Japan so they turned around with their backs to the audience, whipped out their phones and took epic selfies as they back up as close to the fans as they can. It was sweet.

daaaaamn Wakka's house looks nice

Found my strategy guides that are 13 and 10+ years old! I wonder if it's still good even though the game is the international version. And pls square release FFXII!!!

I've got the same FFX guide, it's so beautiful. I've been reading through it getting my hype levels to maximum for the Vita release.

ubercheez

The Black Mage dressphere is pretty powerful in the early game, especially if you get -ara level magics for the first few bosses. Later on, Berserker or Dark Knight with an Alchemist support will let you roll over most fights.

If you want to max your dresspheres out quickly, get the Treasure Hunter garment grid (from the Sphere Break tournament) and an AP Egg. Mug gives you 1AP every time you use it, which gets tripled by the AP Egg. It's pretty ridiculous how fast you'll learn new skills with that combination.

unrealist

If I get a R3 copy in Singapore, will the code for FF X-2 digital copy work for redemption on my US PSN account?

I also read and heard from my local retailer that the R3 version will be 2 physical copies like the JPN version, but entirely in English.

If I get a R3 copy in Singapore, will the code for FF X-2 digital copy work for redemption on my US PSN account?

I also read and heard from my local retailer that the R3 version will be 2 physical copies like the JPN version, but entirely in English.

If the R3 versions are 2 physical copies, there will not be a FFX-2 code in them to begin with.

Hobbun

I found a crappy unboxing of the guide, it looks okay but it's pretty hard to parse how decent the actual content is.

Still getting it just for the pretty pictures though.

I just wish he would have show the page(s) with the maps of the Sphere Grids. The only thing I didn't like about the Piggyback guide is the useless sphere grid map due to the insanely small text.

I hope this book hasn't done the same.

ZeroX03

Banned
I just wish he would have show the page(s) with the maps of the Sphere Grids. The only thing I didn't like about the Piggyback guide is the useless sphere grid map due to the insanely small text.

I hope this book hasn't done the same.

I might be able to get the guidebook a little early, in the next day or so, if I do I'll cross reference the guide with international information to make sure it's accurate and do a vid showing if the important stuff is there. I know your pain with tiny sphere grids, I've found an expert sphere grid layout for maximizing stats but I have to squint to read the damn thing.

Darkone

I would really like to play it on the PS3 and enjoy this game visually on my big screen TV but with the back log i have i will play it on the Vita because i will have more time playing it on the go.

Top Bottom