• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Cheddahz

Banned
Tuesday can't come soon enough, I'm not even going to re-subscribe to FFXIV so I can play FFX again for the first time in years

Comet

I did something I almost never do, I picked up the guide for these bad boys. Well, I ordered one, don't have it yet.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If they do not update the store on time with this I will be severely pissed off since I am counting this as one of the components for buy 60 get 10 thingie.

*Twitches*

OmegaDL50

According to the official Brady website, it's stated the guides are updated accordingly to reference the changes from the International Editions

http://www.bradygames.com/promotions/promotion.aspx?promo=139683

I pre-ordered the guide along with the game, so if you want additional information, let me know. I'm sure most of the existing information should be relevant for both the International editions of FFX and FFX-2, but I picked up the guide for artistic reasons.

OmegaDL50

(It's amazing how good the PS2 version looked in our minds, isn't it?)

I'm impressed that the HD Remasters have a significant improvement over the native scaling HD widescreen patches that can be done in PCSX2.

I mean it shows they took considerable care in retexuring all of the assets and backgrounds with higher res textures. I appreciate the visual before-and-after. It makes the wait for this game even more apparent.

According to the official Brady website, it's stated the guides are updated accordingly to reference the changes from the International Editions

http://www.bradygames.com/promotions/promotion.aspx?promo=139683

I pre-ordered the guide along with the game, so if you want additional information, let me know. I'm sure most of the existing information should be relevant for both the International editions of FFX and FFX-2, but I picked up the guide for artistic reasons.

I don't normally buy guides, but it's very tempting to get that one. I still have my FFX-2 strategy guide, so I'm not sure if it's worth buying a new one.

Looking through my X-2 guide right now is getting me excited to play that game again. I prefer FFX by quite a bit as an overall game, but just looking at screenshots of the battle system for X-2 gets me really excited. Seriously, one of the best (if not the best) systems in the series. It's been so long since I've played it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Holy shit @ those comparison pics.

The backgrounds went from being virtually flat and 2-dimensional cardboards...to overhauled 3D landscapes. Man, just 2 more fucking days...

Aurizen

Yep, from Amazon. Just updated this morning.

soon7-580x440.jpg

Shahed

I might need that guide for all the sphere viewing to get random percentages in FFX-2. Some of them were so tedious. Especially the hot spring ones

Thanks, Chesskid.

I'm curious though, for the Team ICO collection and the MGS collection, were those available to buy individually at release? Or did they become available individually later on?
I think they were available individually after a couple weeks or so. I might be wrong though. But I also suspect in this case they might not offer them seperately because then a lot of people might only get FFX and not bother with FFX-2

RPGCrazied

Any tips for blitzball? I always seem to lose, even with jecht shot. I keep hearing about scoring once, then go behind your goal and sitting there. That's the problem though, I usually can't even score once. lol

AmanoBuff

Thanks, Chesskid.

I'm curious though, for the Team ICO collection and the MGS collection, were those available to buy individually at release? Or did they become available individually later on?

They were available as separate downloads shortly after release (well, the ICO&SotC Collection actually took about a year). But don't forget this is SQEX, and that this collection is one of the most beloved ones from one of the most important series in gaming.

I mean, why sell them separately when the bundled collection will obviously have really high demand, and even 'recent' SQEX PSN releases like FFIII took more than a year to just receive a simple discount, so no, I really don't see them selling FFX/FFX-2 separately any time soon.

Levyne

Banned
Any tips for blitzball? I always seem to lose, even with jecht shot. I keep hearing about scoring once, then go behind your goal and sitting there. That's the problem though, I usually can't even score once. lol

First off, don't worry about the Goers match if you can't beat it, it's nothing in the long run.

And then before taking on anyone else, just look at guides to see which players are significantly better than others starting out. For instance, a very common great player early on is RIkku's brother "Brother".

I know it feels silly to say "look at guide", but most of the original Aurochs are really just not very good. (Though I did just keep them in one of my playthroughs)

Ixion

But I also suspect in this case they might not offer them seperately because then a lot of people might only get FFX and not bother with FFX-2

But that would be for their benefit. Some people may not want to pay $40 for both games, so they wouldn't get it at all.

Personally, I'd buy the FFX remaster in a heartbeat, but I wasn't a fan of FFX-2, so I'm on the fence regarding this collection.

ZeroX03

Banned
But that would be for their benefit. Some people may not want to pay $40 for both games, so they wouldn't get it at all.

Personally, I'd buy the FFX remaster in a heartbeat, but I wasn't a fan of FFX-2, so I'm on the fence regarding this collection.

Just wait for the price to drop then. It's not like with Symphonia Chronicles where one of the games is pretty much pointless, X-2 is a decent game you just happen not to like. Although the Symphonia games can be bought separately, which I did, lol.

First off, don't worry about the Goers match if you can't beat it, it's nothing in the long run.

And then before taking on anyone else, just look at guides to see which players are significantly better than others starting out. For instance, a very common great player early on is RIkku's brother "Brother".

I know it feels silly to say "look at guide", but most of the original Aurochs are really just not very good. (Though I did just keep them in one of my playthroughs)

Brother is so broken.

Apathy

A little before-and-after while we wait this last weekend out:

Sinspawn Ammes
Original (PCSX2, high-res)
HD Remaster

Wakka's Home
Original
HD

"That's how it's done!"
Original
HD

Mi'ihen Ruins
Original (PCSX2 w/widescreen hack)
HD

The Monster Arena
Original
HD

Overlooking Zanarkand
Original (PCSX2 upscaled, and with some weird texture filter[?])
HD

Behemoth Encounter
Original (PCSX2 w/widescreen hack)
HD

Menu (X-2)
Original
HD

More to come...

(It's amazing how good the PS2 version looked in our minds, isn't it?)

Damn, talk about rose tinted glasses when looking back at things. The menus looks so much better now.

Hobbun

I might be able to get the guidebook a little early, in the next day or so, if I do I'll cross reference the guide with international information to make sure it's accurate and do a vid showing if the important stuff is there. I know your pain with tiny sphere grids, I've found an expert sphere grid layout for maximizing stats but I have to squint to read the damn thing.

Thanks, that would be appreciated.

I am an old man now (for a gamer). Where I could pick up the Piggyback guide and put it close to my face in my 30s to read the sphere grid, it now becomes a blurry mess if I do that. And keeping it normal reading distance the text is just too damn small.

Animekatt

I called around the mom and pop shops I knew, and none of them are selling this early... :(

So I settled for playing the OG PS2 version, so I could practice dodging lightning bolts. I need a lil more work.

melman101

I called around the mom and pop shops I knew, and none of them are selling this early... :(

So I settled for playing the OG PS2 version, so I could practice dodging lightning bolts. I need a lil more work.

I also called my local Mom and Pop shop and they told me Monday :-(.

Shahed

They're hoping the nostalgia for FFX pushes people over into getting the whole package. I'm not particularly interested in FFX-2 either, but I really want to play FFX, so I'm paying the £25 twice for both the PS3 and Vita versions

Apathy

They're hoping the nostalgia for FFX pushes people over into getting the whole package. I'm not particularly interested in FFX-2 either, but I really want to play FFX, so I'm paying the £25 twice for both the PS3 and Vita versions

I'm on of those weird people that liked X-2....I liked playing dress up

Levyne

Banned
Mastering the jobs on X-2 is just addictive. It was fun just going up and down the highroad or other paths and just trying out new jobs spheres from your previous chapter or whatever. Helps that the combat is so damn fun on its own as well.

Shahed

Grab a random player not Tidus (ideally a Mid player with good passing). Run around close enough to the opposition players to lure them to chase you. Circling the arena works, but make sure they're not too close to interfere with your passing. You'll figure the range out after a while. Once you get 3 of them chasing you keep circling until you have a direct line between the controlled player and Tidus and pass it to him. You can get really close to him if you think the pass stat isn't high enough. Run up to the goal and use Jecht Shot for an easy goal. After that you can hide behind the goal or pass it around while taking any other opportunities to score. Jecht Shot isn't necessary. That same trick works if you can get a striker in clear space. Wedge is amazing for early game

The Ronso's are the easiest to do this to since they're so slow. High strength, defense and HP, but their pathetic speed makes them a joke. The Albhed Pysches are the only team to worry about.

I'm on of those weird people that liked X-2....I liked playing dress up
The battle system is awesome. It's probably my favourite version of the normal ATB system. Some of the tracks like Eternity and Wind Crest are arguably some of the best pieces of music I've ever heard. But I can't stand the campiness, the story, the costume changing stuff (hated it in Lightning Returns as well) and most of the remaining music

ocean

Banned
This was the tipping point for me. I left my launch PS3 behind when I moved to France a few months ago and I've been yearning for one ever since.

This settles it - I need to get a used PS3 ASAP, so not missing this.

Apathy

Grab a random player not Tidus (ideally a Mid player with good passing). Run around close enough to the opposition players to lure them to chase you. Circling the arena works, but make sure they're not too close to interfere with your passing. You'll figure the range out after a while. Once you get 3 of them chasing you keep circling until you have a direct line between the controlled player and Tidus and pass it to him. You can get really close to him if you think the pass stat isn't high enough. Run up to the goal and use Jecht Shot for an easy goal. After that you can hide behind the goal or pass it around while taking any other opportunities to score. Jecht Shot isn't necessary. That same trick works if you can get a striker in clear space. Wedge is amazing for early game

The Ronso's are the easiest to do this to since they're so slow. High strength, defense and HP, but their pathetic speed makes them a joke. The Albhed Pysches are the only team to worry about.

The battle system is awesome. It's probably my favourite version of the normal ATB system. Some of the tracks like Eternity and Wind Crest are arguably some of the best pieces of music I've ever heard. But I can't stand the campiness, the story, the costume changing stuff (hated it in Lightning Returns as well) and most of the remaining music

My all time favorite battle system is Jobs, and this is basically an addition to that so thats why I enjoy it. I hate being restricted on who can do what in my party.

jdevil99

I remember I had to marathon X when it came it because of time constraints back then. I rushed through it barely taking the time to take in any of the story. I'm actually happy because this will be like playing it for the first time all over again. I've never even opened my copy of X-2, so that'll be a great chance to transition right into it after finishing X and finally giving X-2 the chance it deserves.

Pollux

Tuesday can't come soon enough, I'm not even going to re-subscribe to FFXIV so I can play FFX again for the first time in years

Same here, went to GameStop and pre-ordered on Friday. Tuesday will be in the middle of Spring Break and I'm not going anywhere b/c of papers I have to write, so playing some FFX before crashing each night is going to be relaxing as hell. Looking forward to it.

Stasis

Ordered both the limited edition PS3 and the Brady guide from EBgames Canada. Says they're going to ship out Tuesday. Took the free ship option, so I'm not expecting them to come in before the following week.

I miss USA Amazon so much.

Top Bottom