• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

aett

Any advice on where I should be placing traps to catch monsters (or which monsters I should be trying to get) at the start of X-2?

Falk

that puzzling face
So, rant time. Sphere break. People have already covered how dumb it is to get 1s which is basically a giant 'ha ha you lose' if you get more than two of them spaced out equally.

My main beef, however, is the giant disconnect between the game itself and the context in which it appears in the game. A head-to-head 'competition'. Really? For a solitaire game? What bearing does another player even have on this game? You 'should have practiced more' to not have lost? Practiced what, staring at Yuna?

It's like everything that's wrong with JRPG mechanics personified in a single shitty minigame.

Holmes

So, rant time. Sphere break. People have already covered how dumb it is to get 1s which is basically a giant 'ha ha you lose' if you get more than two of them spaced out equally.

My main beef, however, is the giant disconnect between the game itself and the context in which it appears in the game. A head-to-head 'competition'. Really? For a solitaire game? What bearing does another player even have on this game? You 'should have practiced more' to not have lost? Practiced what, staring at Yuna?

It's like everything that's wrong with JRPG mechanics personified in a single shitty minigame.
Yeah, there's no reason for this to be a two player game. They could've gotten the other player more involved somehow, but how? Have them spam sphere cores of 1?

OmegaDL50

I still don't understand why you lose coins for playing the game.

Unless that is "payment" for playing against someone elses core sphere.

I mean the coins are scarce enough as it is unless you use those special coins that give you more coins during a game, other then that you are basically digging in the Bikanel desert in hopes you actually find more.

It would be nice if the fiends you killed had a rare chance to drop the coin they represent, but no..that would only make too much sense.

Holmes

Yes, Sphere Break really is a fun game, and not that difficult at all unless you can't add numbers. If you continuously spam echo bonuses of 2, you can get to a quota of 100 in about 15 turns, granted you get no 1s.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm fine with the game other than 1s. I'm pretty sure I could easily hit 100+ per 15 turns consistently outside of 1s.

It just bothers me that there's a massive narrative dissonance that really, really doesn't explain why the game is the way it is. I mean, compare it to Triple Triad where everything within the game world makes sense w.r.t. the minigame (clubs, contests, card trading, unique cards, etc)

edit: hahahah great minds think alike re: 100 in 15 turns

Got triple AP weapons for all exept few members. Tried the Tonberry AP trick and sure enough one fast battle can net 30+ sphere levels.

I probably will take a break for a while with the game. Next up would prolly be mostly trying to finish some sphere grids and maybe tackle Ultima+Omega+Dark Valefor or something.

I dread the trophy for full sphere grids for all characters tho. Also getting 10 of all monsters will be a bitch. And lastly on the shitlist is Dark Yojimbo. Even if I fail against everything else I could always cheese stuff with Zanmato with the exeption of DY so I must at least get my party up to snuff with him.

27 hours in, and although I'm enjoying myself a lot, I half to admit that whenever I get to one of the sphere puzzle temple areas, I sigh.

Done with these damn puzzles. I'll keep playing, but daaamn

Holykael1

Banned
Yeah, I guess you're right. I love the base game of FFX, but I've never liked the "end game" of it. I'll probably just beat it and move on to another game (before coming back to FFX-2). I might return to FFX down the road and work on the optional content.

Don't lie to yourself xD. You won't come back to it.
probably, atleast when I say that to myself I never do

Ostinatto

ok guys, i need some help, this thing is driving me crazy!!, how the hell do i get the
destruction sphere in zanardkand temple?

Did all the side quest and collected all the ultimate weapons. Time to head or the final dungeon to complete the monster catching quest. Then begins the grind for the dark Aeons and a complete sphere grid.

On Demand

Banned
Does no store carry the standard version of this game? Target only has the limited edition and BB is out of stock online with no option to pick up in store for the standard version.

I was going to do Target's B2G1 deal but i don't like the limited edition case.

Ostinatto

ok, i will do this, if i can't. you guys will pay the consequences
LLShC.gif

Jisgsaw

Any advice on where I should be placing traps to catch monsters (or which monsters I should be trying to get) at the start of X-2?

Would be interested too.
I'm getting destroyed in the standard cup, even if I managed to cheese threw once.

Completed X today. It's still as amazing as I remember. But I noticed it's basically as linear as XIII. The power of a good story and a decent set of characters really saves it for people I guess.

Jisgsaw

Completed X today. It's still as amazing as I remember. But I noticed it's basically as linear as XIII. The power of a good story and a decent set of characters really saves it for people I guess.

Yeah, that always stuns me when peoplke criticize FF13 for its linearity.
The problem is not its linearity, it's its shitty narrative and cast.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Would be interested too.
I'm getting destroyed in the standard cup, even if I managed to cheese threw once.

http://kamomedan.wordpress.com/

That blog/site contains a list of every creature you can capture by chapter and which area has it, along with what size capsule you need.

It doesn't have pacing issues, as XIII does. That's what kills XIII for most people; that and shitty characters.

Saphirax

How bad is filling the empty nodes on the sphere grids?

I plan to farm some luck/fortune spheres but not a lot. I mainly have magic defense spheres.

Well, I got the Jupiter Sigil to polish off the 7 Ultimate Weapons again.

I wish I had known about the tower/crater trick for lightning dodging when I was younger. I used to do it the "real" way, which required concentration I can't muster now that I'm older.

Son Of D

Fuck, I can't believe they don't let you save after rescuing the tourists and before fighting the boss. What a waste of time.

You can actually leave. You won't cancel the mission, just suspend it. Although I believe if you exit Calm Lands entirely you'll have to start again.

Roto13

Did the post-battle screen in the original X-2 hang around for this long? I don't remember having to wait several seconds before I could get back to the game.

Holmes

Did the post-battle screen in the original X-2 hang around for this long? I don't remember having to wait several seconds before I could get back to the game.
Wait a second while the exp and gil is being "added", then press X. The "press X to exit" prompt should appear right away, instead of having to wait a few seconds if you pressed X right away.

Flandy

Can I do the butterfly in macalnia woods later in the game or will I miss it if I don't do it when the game first presents it?

You actually NEED to do it later in the game. If you do it early you only get an MP Sphere or something like that. You need to wait until after you get full access to the
airship
to do that.

Falk

that puzzling face
Can I do the butterfly in macalnia woods later in the game or will I miss it if I don't do it when the game first presents it?

Yes and no. There are different sets of rewards for the butterfly game depending where you are in the story. The ultimate weapon reward is in the latest timeframe and isn't missable.

You actually NEED to do it later in the game. If you do it early you only get an MP Sphere or something like that. You need to wait until after you get full access to the
airship
to do that.

Yes and no. There are different sets of rewards for the butterfly game depending where you are in the story. The ultimate weapon reward is in the latest timeframe and isn't missable.

Awesome thanks.

Roto13

Wait a second while the exp and gil is being "added", then press X. The "press X to exit" prompt should appear right away, instead of having to wait a few seconds if you pressed X right away.

So holding X to make everything be over is actually slowing me down there? Why does this game have to make things complicated.

Top Bottom