• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

burgerdog

But what about all the AP and gil you're missing out on!?

Nearing the end of chapter 3 and the only boss that trashed me has been Yojimbo. I usually find a good spot with easy monsters / high exp and equip the lure bracer to make up for all the no encounter I've done. Actually, this is exactly what I did in Bravely Default.

Roto13

Could you explain a bit more? Been a while since I've played X-2 and I don't remember having to visit every location from X

Well you don't have to visit every location every chapter, but you should, because there's something happening in most of them. And almost all of the (non-optional) locations are in there. The ones that aren't are replaced by new places.

The point is, it takes an entire game to get from one end of the world to the other in X but you walk from one end of the same world to the other multiple times in X-2.

burgerdog

Well you don't have to visit every location every chapter, but you should, because there's something happening in most of them. And almost all of the (non-optional) locations are in there. The ones that aren't are replaced by new places.

The point is, it takes an entire game to get from one end of the world to the other in X but you walk from one end of the same world to the other multiple times in X-2.

It's not that bad, the worst part of X2 has been all the awkward mini games that leave you saying wtf were they thinking?

Flandy

Man it's going to be weird playing X-2 again. I remember the overall plot but I don't really remember the small details. Almost done with X. Currently inside
Sin before the Seymour fight
. Going for the Platinum yo. Already have done most of the optional stuff.

Don't think I'll be going for the Platinum in X-2. I don't want to look at a guide every minute of every hour I play X-2 which is what I'll have to do if I want to 100% it.

Levyne

Banned
In the back half of Via Infinico. Things starting to get tough. Just trying to Double EXP with some Lady Lucks while I go up the floors.

Levyne

Banned
Well it is for the base game anyway.

It's hard to say one thing about "how to prepare" but the shortest way to answer would be Alchemists (or, at least 1). Free mega-potions and super quick item usage.

Levyne

Banned
Is Lady Luck's "Double Item" stack-able? Getting 8 items minimum from these fights, which is rather great.

If only EXP did that too. Does Gil I wonder? Quickly getting very rich :)

Jesus Christ 1 core spheres are total bullshit. Got 4 of them against Shinra and stood no chance even using perfect echo bonuses. Time to restart.

santeesioux

I have a question, should i get the Limited Edition now while it's still in stock, or wait for the regular version to go down in price because i want this, but don't know when i'll get to it. I've already played both and X is one of my favorite games, as well as favorite FF, but i have a huge backlog with some other jrpgs.

Oh who am i kidding, i'll replay these before i get to those.

Levyne

Banned
Omega weapon is a joke in X, even the international version, and he's a bigger joke in X-2 :eek:

I guess Paragon is the true "Weapon" fight here, but it's weird to just randomly encounter Omega and lay waste to him before he does 2 attacks.

Well, I've gotten everyone's Ultimate Weapon except Wakkas. Basically, what's how I always play FFX, lol. Unfortunately, I know how OP Wakka's Reels + Ultimate Weapon are, but I never get them because I don't have fun with blitzball. Not that I find dodging lightning fun or anything like that, but that only took like 20-30 mins. I ended up dodging 438 bolts because I was afraid to stop (and didn't count). xD

Thinking about it... In theory, I like how they did the ultimate weapons in this game. Doing some minigames or quests to get items to upgrade ultimate weapons is a decent idea. Unfortunately, their execution was absolute shit for most of the characters. Yuna's path to get ultimate weapon is probably the best one - it is something that furthered her as a character (in terms of battle - getting Anima, Yojimbo, and the Magus Sisters and then fighting with them), and wasn't annoying. Rikku's path was decent... I mean, it was kind of boring running all over the desert, but I actually enjoyed the cactuar minigame, and it was kind of cute (like the descriptions of each one). Kimahri's isn't as bad as most people say. Yeah, it can be frustrating, but after a few tries, it becomes pretty easy to know the right path. Auron's is just incredibly boring... it's not hard to capture monsters from 10 areas, but it's just... ugh. Boring. Tidus' chocobo minigame is a cluster fuck of awfulness. It's just all based on your luck - there's almost no real skill involved. If you get lucky and the first 5-6 balloons are on your side at the beginning, you'll pretty much win (or have a far better chance). You need to get lucky in the birds attacking the rider some as well. Honestly, Lulu's isn't even that hard. It's just boring and tedious as fuck. It's one of those minigames where as you are doing it, you're thinking "what the fuck am I doing with my life?" And Wakka's.... uhh... If you like blitzball, I guess it's alright, but I don't, so I think it sucks.

I think I'm just gonna beat FFX now and move on to some other game. I had a feeling I would not want to do the extra bosses or worry about farming materials to customize the best gear. I absolutely love the base/main story of FFX, but the end game is just too much of a grind for me to enjoy it.

In FFX-2, how useful is Creature Creator? I've never been a fan of using monsters to fight in anything. Much prefer human characters. Is there anything quite useful there or can it be freely avoided?
You have to do it to get a trophy. It is really easy though. You can pick their dress and they will automatically fight for you. I accidently beat a boss using all creatures.

I think I'm just gonna beat FFX now and move on to some other game. I had a feeling I would not want to do the extra bosses or worry about farming materials to customize the best gear. I absolutely love the base/main story of FFX, but the end game is just too much of a grind for me to enjoy it.
Yeah, I have to agree with you. The side quests range from ugh to ZZZ. The main game is fun and worth playing, but 100% it is quite boring and only if you have nothing else to do.

X-2 my main problem is since you are limited to three characters, it took out any real strategy in the main game. I can mash x to win. It also does not help the story is even worse than FFX. In X, I wanted to see Yuna achieve her goal. X-2, I do not care. Tidus is a twat, why do you want him back? It is a shame because the mechanics are in place for a better game, like Sonic Heroes.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. The side quests range from ugh to ZZZ. The main game is fun and worth playing, but 100% it is quite boring and only if you have nothing else to do.

X-2 my main problem is since you are limited to three characters, it took out any real strategy in the main game. I can mash x to win. It also does not help the story is even worse than FFX. In X, I wanted to see Yuna achieve her goal. X-2, I do not care. Tidus is a twat, why do you want him back? It is a shame because the mechanics are in place for a better game, like Sonic Heroes.

As much as I love FFX-2's battle system (one of the best in the series), I feel like they didn't really utilize it as much as they could have. More challenging battles would have gone a long way to making that battle system really shine (more so than it already does). My main problem with FFX-2 is how easy it is to lose 0.2% and then be fucked on getting the best ending. :p

Levyne

Banned
Yes, I'm finding the X-2 endgame stuff MUCH more engaging. Too bad the game before that is a carnival of varying quality itself.

So of course the internet's solution would be to merge them into either the best or worst game ever, haha

As much as I love FFX-2's battle system (one of the best in the series), I feel like they didn't really utilize it as much as they could have. More challenging battles would have gone a long way to making that battle system really shine (more so than it already does). My main problem with FFX-2 is how easy it is to lose 0.2% and then be fucked on getting the best ending. :p
Tell me about it. I was following a guide and missed 1% somehow. I really do not want to restart, so I am going to do two play throughs: one al bhed, dress spheres, and fiend tales. The other a full 100%. The worst game to 100% I played in a long time. Also, yeah, if the main content was the curve of sidequests, then I would agree. But the main game is easy as cheese.

Holmes

Ugh, I can't beat
Yojimbo
in the mission to rescue the tourists in Chapter 3. Fucking
Zanmato.
You know it's coming when he puts his index finger to his face and charges. Have someone use a Mega-Potion or everyone use Hi-Potions asap, they'll use it after he does the attack.

Atlantis

Ugh, I can't beat
Yojimbo
in the mission to rescue the tourists in Chapter 3. Fucking
Zanmato.

The MP drop from Zanmato makes this one of the fights where I'd recommend using an Alchemist to heal. Just use a regular Mega-Potion with Items Lv.2, not Stash.

X-2 my main problem is since you are limited to three characters, it took out any real strategy in the main game. I can mash x to win..

This has absolutely nothing to do with the number of party members, especially since there is a class system. Enemies in this game just aren't dangerous enough.

Croc

Banned
Did you capture 10 of each fiend? You should have more than enough items I believe.

Edit: Yeah, my suggestion is to catch all fiends and get Celestials for the 3 characters you'll be using. This should make you strong enough to be able to take on One Eye. Free Triple Ap weapons for everyone.

Oh no I haven't finished catching 10 of everything yet. I have 10 of 5 areas I think. I guess I'll go ahead and finish that up cause I think my 3 characters are strong enough to easily catch fiends in all areas. Plus this'll raise the damage karma does to me now then too.

Thanks!

X-2 and Sonic Heroes are worlds apart.
3 pals want to stop an evil man from destroying the world with the power of friendship/love. I do not see the concept that different. Both have cheesy pop music and colors. The environments are recycled each chapter/story. Both inspire from the classics of their franchise, etc.

Just finished Mt. Gagazet in FFX. I'm excited for some of the scenes coming up, mostly because I hate when movies/TV shows/books/anything pulls the shit they do
with Tidus, and who he is/where he comes from
. And yet it never bothered me in this game. I'm not sure why. It actually didn't occur to me until tonight how much
the dream Zanarkand and Tidus
idea goes against my normal taste. In most cases, I'd flip a table and bail. Time for some inner reflection, as well as a good examination of FFX and how they pull it of well enough for me to hardly even notice.

Levyne

Banned
Got my girls up to Level 99. Floors 75-80 seem like a great leveling spot. I know it doesn't mean as much as GG, job, and accessories, but happy to have topped it off.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just finished Mt. Gagazet in FFX. I'm excited for some of the scenes coming up, mostly because I hate when movies/TV shows/books/anything pulls the shit they do
with Tidus, and who he is/where he comes from
. And yet it never bothered me in this game. I'm not sure why. It actually didn't occur to me until tonight how much
the dream Zanarkand and Tidus
idea goes against my normal taste. In most cases, I'd flip a table and bail. Time for some inner reflection, as well as a good examination of FFX and how they pull it of well enough for me to hardly even notice.

It's probably because they've been building up to it the entire game and yet never let you know that's what they were doing.

Levyne

Banned
I've just been climbing up (and for the last couple hours, running in a circle) all day while watching the rest of the world freak out about wrestlemania
KuGsj.gif

inner-G

Banned
It's probably because they've been building up to it the entire game and yet never let you know that's what they were doing.
I think that him being in a totally 'new' world does a lot for the narrative. He learns about everything incrementally, and it doesn't seem too awkward to the viewer, avoiding data logs and text dumps for background info like some other RPGs.

Roto13

3 pals want to stop an evil man from destroying the world with the power of friendship/love. I do not see the concept that different. Both have cheesy pop music and colors. The environments are recycled each chapter/story. Both inspire from the classics of their franchise, etc.

Both star characters and are played with buttons. Both have graphics made of polygons and come printed on game discs. You may be on to something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think that him being in a totally 'new' world does a lot for the narrative. He learns about everything incrementally, and it doesn't seem too awkward to the viewer, avoiding data logs and text dumps for background info like some other RPGs.

That too. It's a great way to teach us about Spira.

But as far as his Zanarkand goes, in every flashback he has there is something wrong. Someone who shouldn't be there, someone the player may not even consciously notice. Just that small thing puts the idea that Zanarkand is not all Tidus remembers it to be into the player's head.

It was really masterfully done.

Yeah, I would agree with these comments. Honestly, the big reveal is so weird when you think about it, but I think it's actually done fairly well. And it makes sense in the grand scheme of the world. I actually think Spira is one of FF's best developed worlds. The way the game introduces you to the lore and history of Spira is pretty fantastic. And without a single datalog entry, gasp!

H2Yo

Oh man, I forgot how awful the airship battle against the Bevelle guardian was...
I have no equipment that can protect against petrify.

Oh man, I forgot how awful the airship battle against the Bevelle guardian was...

I didn't have any problems because of the
petrify
, it was the
poison
that got me. I had a lot of softs saved up since I never really had to use them...

But I just
spammed haste and slow and eventually got it down.

Levyne

Banned
Oh man. Didn't come up with it on my own but there is a pretty hilarious way to beat the Floor 80 boss in the Infinico dungeon :p

(Won't do Heaven's Cataract if you absorb MP, won't stony glare a single opponent, so one beserker with evade and counter > Chac )

Atlantis

Keep Rikku out of the party, then switch her in the cure Petrify/Poison with Al Bhed Potions, then get her out again so she doesn't end up the one afflicted.

Use Slow and Darkness.

SoulUnison

Banned
Wait, so the Last Mission roguelike tower doesn't use the same battle system as X-2?

That kills some of my desire to get to it... But I'm only maybe a third of the way through X, so I'll just enjoy the ride.

Zephyx

I suck at lightning dodging. I'm so close to giving up. :( My max is 111 consecutive. Been doing this for almost 3 hours. :|

flyover

Completed X today. It's still as amazing as I remember. But I noticed it's basically as linear as XIII. The power of a good story and a decent set of characters really saves it for people I guess.

Yes, they're both similarly linear in terms of where you can go. But X is less linear in terms of what you can do at any given time. I think that's a big difference (and not necessarily a statement on which is better than the other).

In XIII, I don't remember doing much besides progressing through the story, until pretty far into the game (and even then, only in limited areas). In X, you can play it straight, grind sphere levels, play blitzball, do the celestial weapon mini-games, backtrack for Jecht spheres, capture monsters, talk to NPCs in various areas/towns at different times in the game, explore parts of towns/areas not of paramount importance, etc.

Top Bottom