• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

I suck at lightning dodging. I'm so close to giving up. :( My max is 111 consecutive. Been doing this for almost 3 hours. :|
You know, in all the times I've replayed Final Fantasy X, I've never attempted the lightning dodging. Not even once. Maybe I'm crazy enough to give it a go this time...?

entremet

Yes, they're both similarly linear in terms of where you can go. But X is less linear in terms of what you can do at any given time. I think that's a big difference (and not necessarily a statement on which is better than the other).

In XIII, I don't remember doing much besides progressing through the story, until pretty far into the game (and even then, only in limited areas). In X, you can play it straight, grind sphere levels, play blitzball, do the celestial weapon mini-games, backtrack for Jecht spheres, capture monsters, talk to NPCs in various areas/towns at different times in the game, explore parts of towns/areas not of paramount importance, etc.

Same team made that made X made XIII.

X is clearly stronger, especially since the battle system doesn't take half the game to open up. The Sphere grid is also way more open than the Crystanrium.

I suck at lightning dodging. I'm so close to giving up. :( My max is 111 consecutive. Been doing this for almost 3 hours. :|

PS3 or Vita? There is some lag in the PS3 version.

Levyne

Banned
Alright. Floor 100. Reading up a bit, I know I am just going to (Ability)
BRIBE
one of the bosses but need to prepare for the other. Gonna grab some
Auto-Wall
accessories.

Flandy

:lol

So I beat
Seymors final form inside sin.
Then right after that there's no save point so I walk around from battle to battle making sure to heal after each one. Suddenly this enemy that looks like a brick wall with arms sticking out of it comes out and puts a bunch of status aliments on my party. "No Problem" I thought to myself. Then on his next turn he petrifies my entire party D: There goes like 20 minutes of progress

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh man, I forgot how awful the airship battle against the Bevelle guardian was...
I have no equipment that can protect against petrify.

I absolutely love the airship battles. They feel so epic, not many JRPGs put you up against things of such scale (I loved it in Xenoblade too).

:lol

So I beat
Seymors final form inside sin.
Then right after that there's no save point so I walk around from battle to battle making sure to heal after each one. Suddenly this enemy that looks like a brick wall with arms sticking out of it comes out and puts a bunch of status aliments on my party. "No Problem" I thought to myself. Then on his next turn he petrifies my entire party D: There goes like 20 minutes of progress

Silence Buster him and he can't do that. EDIT: And then Delay Buster him and he can't get a turn on you.

Banzai

I really think FFX has the worst status ailments in any FF. I couldn't even say if they existed in FF1-9.
XII's were pretty annoying, too, I guess. If the game wasn't an automated borefest i mean.

ZeroX03

Banned
I really think FFX has the worst status ailments in any FF. I couldn't even say if they existed in FF1-9.

So because you actually notice something and have to bother dealing with them it makes them the worst?

I would think having that added layer of strategy would be a good thing, can't say I'm too fond of the abundance of petrify in X but actually having to deal with poison, darkness etc is fair to me.

Banzai

So because you actually notice something and have to bother dealing with them it makes them the worst?

I would think having that added layer of strategy would be a good thing, can't say I'm too fond of the abundance of petrify in X but actually having to deal with poison, darkness etc is fair to me.

Oh absolutely, I didn't mean "worst" in that sense, just worded it poorly. I guess what I mean is that they are actually good because they are so annoying?

Arthea

I'm not sure I can make chocobo catcher 0.0 this time. I had problem with it last time, exactly the same as now, or I get balloons and get hit by birdies a lot, or no birdies and no balloons. I watched so many videos where people get balloons with no bird in sight, I don't understand how that is possible, really, I don't. It sucks to have bad luck, if you wanna platinum FFX, I did everything else, except I still have to max grid and get penance, but that's doable, I don't know how to get that negative time in chocobo catcher and when if I ever will get lucky enough to get it, or is it even worth the effort :(

genbatzu

I'm not sure I can make chocobo catcher 0.0 this time. I had problem with it last time, exactly the same as now, or I get balloons and get hit by birdies a lot, or no birdies and no balloons. I watched so many videos where people get balloons with no bird in sight, I don't understand how that is possible, really, I don't. It sucks to have bad luck, if you wanna platinum FFX, I did everything else, except I still have to max grid and get penance, but that's doable, I don't know how to get that negative time in chocobo catcher and when if I ever will get lucky enough to get it, or is it even worth the effort :(

the birds always spawn on the same spots so you can avoid them. It's still luck based, because you need a few (4-5) balloons on the starting ramp.

here is how I've done it, but I still needed ~25 tries ^^

get 4-5 balloons on starting ramp do an almost 100° turn on the bottom and get 1-2 balloons, stay right till the first wave of birds is over, then change to the left side (if this doesn't work for you stay on the far right side)
when the camera changes stay right very close to the monster farm entry, collect the ballons there and after the bird passes you change to the far left side and stay there till the end of the race.

12-13 ballons are needed, without a single bird

Arthea

the birds always spawn on the same spots so you can avoid them. It's still luck based, because you need a few (4-5) balloons on the starting ramp.

here is how I've done it, but I still needed ~25 tries ^^

get 4-5 balloons on starting ramp do an almost 100° turn on the bottom and get 1-2 balloons, stay right till the first wave of birds is over, then change to the left side (if this doesn't work for you stay on the far right side)
when the camera changes stay right very close to the monster farm entry, collect the ballons there and after the bird passes you change to the far left side and stay there till the end of the race.

12-13 ballons are needed, without a single bird

ya, I know that, from 20 or so of my tries, I had 3 times first 4-5 balloons on my side! 3 times damn it! and all 3 times it was basically impossible to get anything else without being get hit except 2-3 balloons more. It's not even funny how frustrating that is, especially balloons that are out of reach, these drive me crazy! you know, bumping into invisible walls and then getting hit by birdies.
Who thought that this is good idea for sidequests is meanest person ever.

edited: are you sure about birdies being always in the same positions, though?

Kura

Banned

It's not that hard. It's a mind game more than anything.
Drink a cup of coffee, and go to 'The Spot' where you can predict 100% when the bolts are coming. It takes 20 minutes if you keep enough calm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFrZPAqmJ2Q

34y68ft.jpg

It works, man. You can do it!

Falk

that puzzling face
ya, I know that, from 20 or so of my tries, I had 3 times first 4-5 balloons on my side! 3 times damn it! and all 3 times it was basically impossible to get anything else without being get hit except 2-3 balloons more. It's not even funny how frustrating that is, especially balloons that are out of reach, these drive me crazy! you know, bumping into invisible walls and then getting hit by birdies.

They spawn from the same three locations, but are otherwise random as far as I can tell, from timing to whether they target you first or the other rider first.

Flandy

Keep trying man. It took me 2 hours of sweat, tears, and wanting to throw my Vita at the wall but I was able to do it. I'm pretty sure the birds generally spawn in the same areas so you should try to avoid those. In the first long stretch I tend to veer to the right because seem to have more space

Arthea

3 hours! That's bad, take a break, as far as I noticed, you really need to do lighting dodging while fresh and rested, to keep attention I mean. I did it first thing in the morning, after failing evening before 3 times in a row being near 200 lol
To add insult to injury, I had bad headache after too :(

also taking breaks while doing it, didn't work for me at all, I had to do it in one go, or I would fail immediately after unpausing a game.

They spawn from the same three locations, but are otherwise random as far as I can tell, from timing to whether they target you first or the other rider first.

Keep trying man. It took me 2 hours of sweat, tears, and wanting to throw my Vita at the wall but I was able to do it. I'm pretty sure the birds generally spawn in the same areas so you should try to avoid those. In the first long stretch I tend to veer to the right because seem to have more space

Thanks, guys, I really should pay closer attention to where birdies spawn, as I run into them every time while trying to get balloons. I was sure they can spawn everywhere.

genbatzu

thex spawn on the same spots and then fly "down the screen", slightly moving in the direction of the player.

OmegaDL50

Damn you One-Eye. Just drop Yuna a triple AP weapon so I can stop resorting to Yojimbo against you. :mad:

If Wakka has a Attack Reels and sufficient Strength, he should be able to take out One-Eye in a single attack.

It only has 150,000 HP which is small compared to other arena monsters.

Wazzy

Banned
If Wakka has a Attack Reels and sufficient Strength, he should be able to take out One-Eye in a single attack.

It only has 150,000 HP which is small compared to other arena monsters.
Yojimbo has Zanmato'd everytime but the problem is it keeps dropping Lulu's weapon and I wanted someone else like Tidus or Yuna. :p

Also my Wakka's strength isn't good enough to kill him with attack reels. :(

Arthea

Yojimbo has Zanmato'd everytime but the problem is it keeps dropping Lulu's weapon and I wanted someone else like Tidus or Yuna. :p

Also my Wakka's strength isn't good enough to kill him with attack reels. :(

As far as I noticed, can't confirm it, because it would be too much work, if you use only that person, you want a drop for to kill an enemy, the chances that person will get a weapon is much higher, although I must say as you need it for Yuna, using summons screws your chances, also overkilling with person in question ups chances too, at least in my experience, then again, as you need it for Yuna, that's not an option, but using only Yuna and summoning, should help some.
Out of the curiosity, how much you pay Yojimbo to Zanmato it? I rarely get Zanmato when I want it, inspite of sum paid, like 1 in 6-7 times, sometimes 2 in a row, but that's rare occurrence, once he used Zanmato on his own, though, quite unexpectedly and when not needed as I was trying to get his overdrive full, that didn't work quite as planned, lol.

Falk

that puzzling face
As far as I noticed, can't confirm it, because it would be too much work, if you use only that person, you want drop for to kill an enemy, the chances that person will get a weapon is much higher, although I must say as you need it for Yuna, using summons screws your chances, also overkilling with person in question ups chances too, at least in my experience, then again, as you need it for Yuna, that's not an option, but using only Yuna and summoning, should help some.

Placebo. I can't find the link for the forum post of that guy who did like 400+ kills just for the heck of it and had stats.

Wazzy

Banned
As far as I noticed, can't confirm it, because it would be too much work, if you use only that person, you want drop for to kill an enemy, the chances that person will get a weapon is much higher, although I must say as you need it for Yuna, using summons screws your chances, also overkilling with person in question ups chances too, at least in my experience, then again, as you need it for Yuna, that's not an option, but using only Yuna and summoning, should help some.
Out of the curiosity, how much you pay Yojimbo to Zanmato it? I rarely get Zanmato when I want it, inspite of sum paid, like 1 in 6-7 times, sometimes 2 in a row, but that's rare occurrence, once he used Zanmato on his own, though, quite unexpectedly and when not needed as I was trying to get his overdrive full, that didn't work quite as planned, lol.
Thanks for the heads up!

I paid him 40001 and he used it everytime xD also one-eye just dropped Yuna's weapon so it looks like I can finally do donberry trick!

Ezi0

When playing X-2, Rikku got confused and used my only Megalixer on the fiends. I promptly reset.

Are there any other Final Fantasy games where Confuse status forces the afflicted to use anything other than the attack command? I can't remember.

Shahed

When playing X-2, Rikku got confused and used my only Megalixer on the fiends. I promptly reset.

Are there any other Final Fantasy games where Confuse status forces the afflicted to use anything other than the attack command? I can't remember.

I remember in FFVIII where sometimes confuse would cause my characters to waste precious Ultima's and the like

dan2026

Has anyone actually done the dodge 200 lightning strikes?

Seriously, this just seems like an impossibly stupid and arduous challenge.

Shahed

Has anyone actually done the dodge 200 lightning strikes?

Seriously, this just seems like an impossibly stupid and arduous challenge.
I'm on mobile so it's hard to link, but there's a place in the first screen where you can force a bolt down so you know when to hit X. It's a crater near a Tower on the left side

Shahed

Anyone did it without using that trick? : D
I did on the PS2 since I didn't know about it then. After a couple of tries getting used to a spot they spawn frequently (and failing in the 20's and 30's) I did it. Had to do weird things like out the sound off and black out my room in order to time it effectively and really concentrate hard.

This time around I did it first try easily with the trick

Ourobolus

Banned
Ok, does this plan makes sense regarding Blitzball?

- I got the Attack Reels already. The League didn't have the Status Reels, but I wanted some practice so I'm playing it anyway.
- If I save before the last game of the league, I can just keep resetting/playing that game if the Status Reels don't show up, right? I don't want to reset yet.
- Auroch Reels in a tournament when they show up
- THEN reset the stats so I can get the Sigil in the league.

I did when I was young(er), I'd equip no encounters armor and just run around the zone.

Now I just use the tower/crater method in the video, although I actually run all the way to the tower every time, makes it much more consistent for me.

Arthea

I did 2 times even, I still used sort of trick, there is one cactuar stone where lightning strikes regularly if you move close to it, and there is one plateau with the same advantage.

- I got the Attack Reels already. The League didn't have the Status Reels, but I wanted some practice so I'm playing it anyway.
- If I save before the last game of the league, I can just keep resetting/playing that game if the Status Reels don't show up, right? I don't want to reset yet.

Yup, resetting works, did it myself for a sigil this time around, worked from the first try, actually, and starting with a good team made winning a league easy. Keep in mind that Wakka need to have certain amount of won battles, huge one, for last reels to start appearing as a tournament prize (I keep forgetting it lol), someone might remember how many, around 400 or something like that.

Sounds about right to me

I did when I was young(er), I'd equip no encounters armor and just run around the zone.

Now I just use the tower/crater method in the video, although I actually run all the way to the tower every time, makes it much more consistent for me.

Did it without the trick when I was younger, too. Didn't even eliminate distractions, just persevered and did it. I don't think I have the patience to not use the trick this time haha!

Ourobolus

Banned
Yup, resetting works, did it myself for a sigil this time around, worked from the first try, actually, and starting with a good team made winning a league easy. Keep in mind that Wakka need to have certain amount of won battles, huge one, for last reels to start appearing as a tournament prize (I keep forgetting it lol), someone might remember how many, around 400 or something like that.

If I don't have that from capturing all of those fiends and playing all the way up to Jecht, then something is horribly wrong. :p

I've been running Tidus, Wedge, Brother, Zalitz, Ropp, and Jumal and it's been pretty easy so far. The Psyches give me some issues here and there (fuck you, Nimrook), but not that much.

Holykael1

Banned
Yeah, I would agree with these comments. Honestly, the big reveal is so weird when you think about it, but I think it's actually done fairly well. And it makes sense in the grand scheme of the world. I actually think Spira is one of FF's best developed worlds. The way the game introduces you to the lore and history of Spira is pretty fantastic. And without a single datalog entry, gasp!

The power of surrogate characters.

Arthea

If I don't have that from capturing all of those fiends and playing all the way up to Jecht, then something is horribly wrong. :p

I've been running Tidus, Wedge, Brother, Zalitz, Ropp, and Jumal and it's been pretty easy so far. The Psyches give me some issues here and there (fuck you, Nimrook), but not that much.

I couldn't get easily past Nimrook ever, it was somewhat easier after resetting as he had no goalie skills yet, or couldn't equip those, that was such a relief!
My team was different, though: Tidus, some ronso I don't remember name lol, Kiyri, Lina, Ropp, Wedge and I had no real goalie, after resetting I got Jumal, and it was so much better at once!

Yeah, I would agree with these comments. Honestly, the big reveal is so weird when you think about it, but I think it's actually done fairly well. And it makes sense in the grand scheme of the world. I actually think Spira is one of FF's best developed worlds. The way the game introduces you to the lore and history of Spira is pretty fantastic. And without a single datalog entry, gasp!
I like Spira, but I kind of wished that they would go outside of the pilgrimage area in X-2. I am pretty sure there is parts of Spira outside where FFX took place. For X-2, they could have switched each area per chapter. I would have been cool to see all of Spira rather than what is relevant to the plot.

Think like FFT and FFXII. XII takes place in the same world, but not in the same location. I thought that was actually pretty neat.

ramyeon

You don't need to save before the last game of a league to reset to change the prizes. Once you complete a league it allows you to quit back to the airship without seeing the main blitzball menu, so do that then save. Check, if it's not what you want, reset the game and check again. The prizes don't get set for the leagues until you check them.

Top Bottom