• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

It's been so long that I forgot how good this game was. Who the fuck plays a game like this, then plays any game from the XIII trilogy, and can honestly say they are happy with the direction the franchise has taken? Even internally inside Square Enix, everything about this game, from the combat, to the characters, to the OST, to the level-up mechanic, to the story is vastly superior to everything in the entire XIII trilogy. I hope one day we can see them return to their roots, even if only a little bit, because games like this are what got me into Final Fantasy games to begin with.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's been so long that I forgot how good this game was. Who the fuck plays a game like this, then plays any game from the XIII trilogy, and can honestly say they are happy with the direction the franchise has taken? Even internally inside Square Enix, everything about this game, from the combat, to the characters, to the OST, to the level-up mechanic, to the story is vastly superior to everything in the entire XIII trilogy. I hope one day we can see them return to their roots, even if only a little bit, because games like this are what got me into Final Fantasy games to begin with.

There's one or two of them on GAF... every game has it's evangelists, even the terrible ones.

XJF

Ok, guys. I'm back from Panama City Beach! I miss anything good?
I'm in beginning of Chapter 2 with a perfect % so far.

The differences between X and XIII are very minor and result more from how things are executed rather than fundamentally different approaches in how the game is built. Characters, story and soundtrack are subjective, but mechanically and in terms of how the world was constructed X is closer to XIII than it is to any other FF.

Saphirax

Can someone give me instructions start to finish to get fast AP,,?

Capture one of each monster in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth. That will unlock Don Tonberry
Next, make sure to capture 4 of each flying Eye monsters - that will unlock One Eye.

What you do is farm One Eye until he drops weapons that have Triple AP and 2 free slots. Then you customize those weapons with Overdrive -> AP and Triple Overdrive.
Once you're done with that, you have to choose your main attacker. Usually it'll be Tidus since Don Tonberry's Karma will hit him for 99999 damage (if it doesn't it just means he didn't participate in enough battles). You set his overdrive mode to Stoic, and the other two party members' mode to Comrade.

When you're fighting Don Tonberry have only Tidus attacking him and the other two members reviving him. Once Don Tonberry gets close enough to the party you Flee from battle.

Voila - should be getting 99 sphere levels in around 2-3 minutes.

XJF

I'm not looking forward to Full Chain (99 Chain) and Overkill (99,999 Damage), I don't think I've ever accomplished either of these in my 7 playthroughs of X-2 back in the day..

Tiamant

I'm not looking forward to Full Chain (99 Chain) and Overkill (99,999 Damage), I don't think I've ever accomplished either of these in my 7 playthroughs of X-2 back in the day..

I found this, doesn't seem that hard but why didn't Chac attacked at all?

Levyne

Banned
I think the crits just keep staggering him. I've killed master tonberries that way. I'm guessing each thief has a rabbit's foot or 2.

Well, I guess two have the auto-haste item.

Flandy

Usually it'll be Tidus since Don Tonberry's Karma will hit him for 99999 damage (if it doesn't it just means he didn't participate in enough battles).

When I was first grinding them in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth Tidus would only get hit for like 3k Damage ._.

ricelord

Can someone give me instructions start to finish to get fast AP,,?

he absolute best way to get AP would be to use the Don Tonberry/Cactuar King method. They are both Monster Arena creations. To unlock Don Tonberry, you'll have to capture one of every enemy in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth. To unlock Cactuar King, you'll need to capture at least one of each enemy in the Thunder Plains.

To exploit either of these enemies for massive AP gain, you'll need to create an "AP" weapon.

I suggest fighting One Eye (capture at least 4 of each of the "Eyeball" species((Floating Eye, Buer, Floating Death, Evil Eye, and Ahriman) until he drops Triple AP weapons (with at least one free slot, preferably two free slots) for whichever party members you want to gain massive Sphere Levels.

The Overdrive -> AP (10 Doors to Tomorrow) ability is essential to using this method, as it allows you to transfer OD gain to AP and acquire massive amounts of AP. You can Steal these 10 at a time from Ultima Weapon (20 for a "Rare" Steal) in the Omega Ruins. The Monster Trainer will also reward you with 99 of these if you unlock 6 Area Creations (capture one of each fiend from six different areas).

Customize the Overdrive -> AP ability on the Triple AP weapon you got from One Eye.

Then you can Customize (if you have room) the Triple Overdrive ability on that weapon to further increase your AP gain. To Customize this ability, you'll need 30 Winning Formulas, you're given 99 of these from the Monster Trainer after unlocking all of the Area Creations.

Finally, now that you have the AP weapon, you can go fight Don Tonberry or Cactuar King.

Don Tonberry Method

Enter the battle with one character in Stoic OD mode (your attacker, the person who has killed the most enemies, so that Karma (DT's counter attack) will deal a lot of damage to them), and the two others in Comrade mode, make sure they all have their AP Weapons equipped. Only attack DT with the character who has Stoic as his/her OD mode. Karma will then kill the Stoic character with a massive amount of damage, and greatly fill the OD gauge for each character, which is then transferred into AP. Make sure to revive the Stoic character ASAP.

After DT takes four steps forward, it will no longer counter attack with Karma, so you might as well Flee at that point. You will then gain a stupidly high amount of Sphere Levels for your work (capped at 99 Sphere Levels of course).

Karma's damage formula is simple enough. It's a counter, and based on the number of kills by the character whom it's targetting multiplied by 100.

Cactuar King Method

Have all characters enter the battle with Comrade OD mode and their AP weapons equipped. Keep in mind that the CK will Run Away occasionally, and you'll have to restart the fight. If the CK attacks a character with 99,999 Needles, that character will die and this will cause the other characters to gain an enormous amount of AP. Revive the character and wait for the CK to do this again. Flee after he's used this a few times on each character and you'll see that you've gained about 99 sphere levels for each of them.

from neoseeker.com

Flandy

Don is much more vengeful for his fallen fiend comrades :p

:lol your post made me laugh
Just looked it up. Apparently this is the formula used to calculate the damage
ad9c98112787d60ca4eb0c5fccffef53.png

I'm getting hit for 99k after all

SirNinja

I hope one day we can see them return to their roots, even if only a little bit, because games like this are what got me into Final Fantasy games to begin with.

That may just happen one day, thanks to Square being completely surprised at (and deciding to "refocus" after) the success of Bravely Default in the west. If Final Fantasy starts being more like BD, that would be great. I would jump for joy if we got another turn-based FF in particular. Maybe Final Fantasy XVI will be a FF9-like throwback...who knows?

XII's were pretty annoying, too, I guess. If the game wasn't an automated borefest i mean.

XII is as automated as you want it to be. You're never forced to use gambits, and there's no one set of them that will get you through every situation. They exist for your convenience. If the game becomes an "automated borefest" because of them, don't use them.

99,999 damage isn't too hard. The Special Dresspheres for each character can occasionally hit for that much under the right circumstances. Also: having Samurai Paine use Nonpareil, then having Mascot Paine use Cactling Gun is another good option, as it ignores defense (and is crazy powerful besides). If you're lazy and very rich, you can even cheese it with the Samurai's Spare Change ability (it will take a lot of gil, though; save beforehand and reload afterwards).

As for 99 chain: just set up three Gunners with First Strike and Auto-Haste vs. an enemy that can take the hits. One gunner uses Trigger Happy, gunner #2 uses it, gunner #3 uses it, and by that time gunner #1 should be ready to use it again. That's how I've always done it, anyway.

XJF

I guess for Overkill you can just Finale on a NG+ near the start.

Full chain just go three Gunners and hope?

I found this, doesn't seem that hard but why didn't Chac attacked at all?

Yea I saw this method a few moments ago on PlayStationTrophies. Guess I'll have to farm some items in this game too. Was hoping to avoid that.

Did just get the Psychic Dressphere though. Woot!

XJF

Alright, I'm at one of the Whole Number % checkpoints. Just beat the Gunners Gauntlet. Think it's worth getting the Adamantite really quick. Extra defense is always welcome right?

Saphirax

I needed a break from X and decided to start X-2. I always found it slightly hilarious when people would mention their woes about X-2 in this thread. Not because of their misery but because I was totally clueless about it all. Can barely remember a thing about X-2.

Now...I'm looking at all the missable trophies and getting to 100% completion and I just...want to curl up in a fetal position.

Fun times are ahead, I imagine?

XJF

I needed a break from X and decided to start X-2. I always found it slightly hilarious when people would mention their woes about X-2 in this thread. Not because of their misery but because I was totally clueless about it all. Can barely remember a thing about X-2.

Now...I'm looking at all the missable trophies and getting to 100% completion and I just...want to curl up in a fetal position.

Yea, I know at least one person on PlaystationTrophies that had success following KGS1's 100% guide. So I'd recommend that if you don't have the guide. Just take your time and save at every whole-digit % for a reference

Saphirax

Yea, I know at least one person on PlaystationTrophies that had success following KGS1's 100% guide. So I'd recommend that if you don't have the guide. Just take your time and save at every whole-digit % for a reference

Yeah, looked at a couple of guides and that one was among them. Think I'll stick to using that one and one more for the 'general' things.

Do you still get the Mercury Sigil for Rikku if you fail some of the Cactuar mini games? They're frustrating.

You still get the sigil, you just get a different reward depending on how many of them you beat.

Falk

that puzzling face

There's one or two of them on GAF... every game has it's evangelists, even the terrible ones.

I actually like both, and I've platinumed X, XIII, XIII-2, LR. (X-2 on hold because of projects) Come at me.

Then again I'm a massive Sonic fan so I'd be hard pressed to find a day where criticism of my preferences faze me. :V

p.s. your quote is hilarious considering how many people rag on X fans for being the newbies to the franchise, then long for the "good old days where they made GOOD Final Fantasies, like VII". (Where VII is also the downfall of the franchise where even older fans are concerned, etc, etc) It's like a hierarchy of self-entitled seniority.

edit
How the heck do I find the damn Coeurls in the calm lands? Is there a particular place to look?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Coeurl_%28Final_Fantasy_X%29

edit: and one just appeared. I was in the middle of the CL if it helps anyone, kind of a little below center.

Coeurls can also appear in pairs at Cavern of Stolen Fayth, so if that's the only thing you're missing you might as well go get them Tonberries now and see if you finish off Coeurls before you do Tonberries. Saves you some time running around, at least.

As someone who hasn't even looked at the trophies after giving up on platinuming FFX, getting 100% isn't that bad. Just keep your computer on so that you don't skip anything. If I somehow don't get 100% I'll probably just watch it all on youtube anyway.

XJF

I got it with like 10 seconds to spare because I fucked up. 2805 was my score.

I had like 3070-ish. Once you learn that Bicocette drops volley just got to the waterfall and use volley every time it passes. Pick up the new one, repeat.

Adamantite + Psychic = Easy lol
That DEF+120 and Auto-Wall... Almost doesn't seem fair for chapter 2

Windforce

Oh. My. Finally got the 0:0:0 trophy. Not that Tidus' weapon is being used at all, because I'm summon-stomping everything, but I wanted the trophy.

Now, stuck at Remien Temple race. How the hell do I get past the chocobo? I've looked over the Internet for an optimal route, but it always comes first.

Advice please? I want to plat FFX first before moving to FFX-2 to avoid procrastination.

Saphirax

Oh. My. Finally got the 0:0:0 trophy. Not that Tidus' weapon is being used at all, because I'm summon-stomping everything, but I wanted the trophy.

Now, stuck at Remien Temple race. How the hell do I get past the chocobo? I've looked over the Internet for an optimal route, but it always comes first.

Advice please? I want to plat FFX first before moving to FFX-2 to avoid procrastination.

Just make sure not to touch the edges as you run as that slows you down. It does take some practice.

Heh, I am restarting my playthrough because I was annoyed by missing a %. Although I am matching the guide, so IDK.

I must admit Divebeak's tale was pretty touching at the end. The fiend tales are a real nice touch to add to the story. Going to not level up YRP so I can get them at low levels to grind during Chapter 1. Knock a good chunk of them out while walking around.

I actually like both, and I've platinumed X, XIII, XIII-2, LR. (X-2 on hold because of projects) Come at me.

Then again I'm a massive Sonic fan so I'd be hard pressed to find a day where criticism of my preferences faze me. :V

p.s. your quote is hilarious considering how many people rag on X fans for being the newbies to the franchise, then long for the "good old days where they made GOOD Final Fantasies, like VII". (Where VII is also the downfall of the franchise where even older fans are concerned, etc, etc) It's like a hierarchy of self-entitled seniority.

edit

Just to be clear, I platinumed XIII and Lightning Returns too. It's not a horrible game, it's just a horrible Final Fantasy game.

And FWIW, I've been with FF since #1 on the NES. I don't care how far they go back, they just need to return to something more traditional.

Windforce

Just make sure not to touch the edges as you run as that slows you down. It does take some practice.

Thanks I'll try that. Maybe I should use the dpad like on the other race...

The race to 0:0:0 was so maddening. Took me 2 hours+ to get a perfect run of 16 baloons and 0 hits.

I hope Remien Temple isn't much worse than that. :(

Footos22

The race to 0:0:0 was so maddening. Took me 2 hours+ to get a perfect run of 16 baloons and 0 hits.

Took.me about it 15 tries just now. 15 balloons 2 birds.

For the first time... in the history of my FFX playthroughs (of which this is probably the 9th or so), I got Wakka's Ultimate Weapon upgraded! I have all the Ultimate Weapons for every character now.. that's a first for me. :O I don't know why I did it - I wasn't planning to get Wakka's weapon at all... I don't like Blitzball, but at least you can pretty much break the game with Brother + Tidus on your team, so it was easy. Just boring as fuck.

Never playing Blitzball again.

Flandy

Remien Temple is much eaiser. It requires skill instead of luck like the 0.0.0. The 0.0.0 took me 2 hours while the temple was only like 30 or 40 mins. I would have done it faster but I didn't realize I was taking a less than optimal route

For the first time... in the history of my FFX playthroughs (of which this is probably the 9th or so), I got Wakka's Ultimate Weapon upgraded! I have all the Ultimate Weapons for every character now.. that's a first for me. :O I don't know why I did it - I wasn't planning to get Wakka's weapon at all... I don't like Blitzball, but at least you can pretty much break the game with Brother + Tidus on your team, so it was easy. Just boring as fuck.

Never playing Blitzball again.
This is the first time I've gotten anyone Celestial Weapon. I now have all of them and I never want to go through it again

Saphirax

According to the 100% guide I should have 3.4% done before the first mission. I did everything mentioned but I only have 3%.

I talked to the person in the moogle suit, I talked to everyone onboard, viewed the first sphere and rested. What gives?

XJF

According to the 100% guide I should have 3.4% done before the first mission. I did everything mentioned but I only have 3%.

I talked to the person in the moogle suit, I talked to everyone onboard, viewed the first sphere and rested. What gives?
The game only displays your % as the lowest whole number. If you have 3.9%, the game will only show it as 3%. If you have 4.6%, the game will display it as 4%. Just the way it is

Matchmaking and Publicity Campaigns suuuuuuuuuck

Saphirax

The game only displays your % as the lowest whole number. If you have 3.9%, the game will only show it as 3%. If you have 4.6%, the game will display it as 4%. Just the way it is

Matchmaking and Publicity Campaigns suuuuuuuuuck

Well...things just got slightly more annoying. Not that big of a deal in the long run, but still.

Top Bottom