• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Ostinatto

It's an ability on Auron's path. It converts any item drops into Power Spheres.

There are also Power/Magic/Speed/Ability Distiller items that are sold at the Monster Arena that do the same thing.

Kottos drops 40 power spheres i you kill him with an overkill, the second best option is to use this on randon enemies for 2 power spheres? there is no Bribe option for this item?

I haven't played X since it first came out, so its been a while. But is it just me or is there a LOT of similarities between certain music from this game and FFVII? There's a song that's played a couple of times so far and I swear certain parts of the song remind me of the tune that played at Aerith's house in VII.

Levyne

Banned
Alright, got to the absolute furthest point of no return. But I have...50 monsters to oversoul before topping the main game off.

Tomorrow's project...

jaxword

I haven't played X since it first came out, so its been a while. But is it just me or is there a LOT of similarities between certain music from this game and FFVII? There's a song that's played a couple of times so far and I swear certain parts of the song remind me of the tune that played at Aerith's house in VII.

That's very normal for Uematsu to reference his own previous works.

I personally feel the music is much different from past FF games. I think 7 in particular is much closer to the snes FFs and 8 than X.

I always thought of Celes theme whenever I heard Aerith theme to be honest and I think Uematsu had help for the first time in X

Falk

that puzzling face
There are some very classic Uematsu things in this OST. 3/4 dungeon theme (Calm before the Storm) and that one melodic rhythm in the monster arena BGM, just to name the two most obvious ones off top of head.

Keep in mind that it has gone on record that Uematsu was attempting to find new inspiration in terms of musical direction for the franchise, and that both Hamauzu and Nakano were recruited for exactly that purpose. Even then, there are many nods and similarities to past soundtracks.

ok dodging lightning is annoying as hell
racing i can handle cause im lucky in that stuff but dodging lightning my timing sucks
can i just make a custom 4 slot to be just as effective?

Falk

that puzzling face
One, are you using the crater spot?

Two, no, because the Celestials ignore defense and inherently power up the closer the character is to max HP/MP (except Auron because of
spoilers
)

edit: I'm just gonna webm a perfect loop of crater spot for quicklinking in future. :V

edit2: WORK GOD DAMN YOU

http://a.pomf.se/lhclqh.webm

Levyne

Banned
Before you give up completely, take a look at this video and see if that does it for you. Much easier when you have a spot where you know the lightning will strike.

edit: I'm just gonna webm a perfect loop of crater spot for quicklinking in future. :V

Haha, probably not a bad idea.

Where can I get a large amount of power spheres, or any spheres, really?

Kottos in the arena is the typical stop for those things. When overkilled, his normal drop with be 40 spheres of whatever distiller you use on him. He can be kind of touch to fight before you pump up strength or defense though.

Levyne

Banned
Now I remember. For the first few kills of Kottos, I used the magus sisters. Might be helpful for those struggling on one eye, too.

Acid08

Banned
Question about Tidus' sphere grid path: I want to take him to Wakka's grid but the starting sphere takes me the opposite direction if I'm just following it ahead. There's a level 1 lock at the beginning of that sphere down to Kimahri's sphere that leads directly to Wakka. So should I just double back and head that way? Or take the route around that looks like it'll take me around Yuna's grid.

Haven't played this game in so long, the sphere grid is confusing me a lot. I'm constantly second guessing my choices :lol

Synless

Caved in and bought the Vita version too. Unified trophies, portable to tv gameplay across both versions, I couldn't resist any longer.

I kept reading how impossible the butterfly catching was and i finished it in around 10 attempts. Maybe i just got lucky? The only difficult part is the last curve.

The chocobo racing 0:00 was much harder but i managed to get that one done in about 45 minutes. I'm most worried about the lightning dodges. Even at 3 / minute it would take an hour, god forbid you fuck up at like 180 dodges :( how long does it take most people?

Flandy

I kept reading how impossible the butterfly catching was and i finished it in around 10 attempts. Maybe i just got lucky? The only difficult part is the last curve.

The chocobo racing 0:00 was much harder but i managed to get that one done in about 45 minutes. I'm most worried about the lightning dodges. Even at 3 / minute it would take an hour, god forbid you fuck up at like 180 dodges :( how long does it take most people?
Around 20 minutes if you don't fuck up and follow the method in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNjKL7aZY4E

ramyeon

Butterfly catching is easy as, don't understand why so many people have issues with it. Only took me a couple of tries.

Ponn

Banned
Just spent my two days off playing blitzball for Wakkas ultimate weapon. Only got butterflies and lightning dodging left. I can feel my enthusiasm draining quickly though. I used to be able to do all this grinding shit when i was younger but now i just dont have the patience for it. Same problem with Disgaea series. Think im going to do the lightning, beat the game then take a break with Deception before moving into FF X-2.

i didn't get to pick up the Sun Crest after defeating
Yunalesca
so I went to go get it and D.Bahamut blindsided me. is there any way to get around him? and are there any other Celestial items blocked by Dark Aeons?

ok dodging lightning is annoying as hell
racing i can handle cause im lucky in that stuff but dodging lightning my timing sucks
can i just make a custom 4 slot to be just as effective?

i went and did this today. i had one good run to 70 or so with a few other attempts but I figured I would turn off the sound and try in silence. it worked, did 200 right after i muted the TV.

I know this is a long shot, but I bought an EU physical copy of FFX/X-2 on the Vita and my download code for FFX-2 is useless to me, since I use a US account. I don't want to mess with changing accounts for one game, so is there anyone interested in;

A. Swapping it for for a US FFX-2 code (very, very long shot. I know)
B. A voucher for the US store ($10 should do it)
C. Just buying it via paypal (£10)

Either way, I just want something for it to put towards getting the Vita version of FFX-2 off the USA PSN store. I don't even know if you can buy them separately, but in my haste to play 10 on my Vita I bit the bullet and bought a physical copy knowing I couldn't play FFX-2; still, working through X is no small task, so it'll be sometime before I get to the sequel anyway. I don't mind paying buying them again on the US store if they can't be separated; FFX-2 is crazy good, so it's worth it.

If there's no takers, I'll just give the code away in a week or so to someone worthy (or broke) who just wants to play FFX-2. It's no good to me.

ramyeon

So is the Garment Grid you get for calibrating lightning towers worth it? I can't really justify doing 5 of those damn things 30 times each right now... what is it with shitty mini games and the Thunder Plains in this series?

10 hours later and I've only maxed roughly half of the monsters in FFX. This is so depressingly slow. Just another sidequest that requires luck. :/

10 hours later and I've only maxed roughly half of the monsters in FFX. This is so depressingly slow. Just another sidequest that requires luck. :/

I think X was a turning point in how they approached sidequests. In VIII-IX they were fun, for the most part, but for some reason they turned the sidequests in X into, at best, tedious busy work and, at worst, mini-wars of attrition. Monster capturing falls into the latter category.

TheContact

So is the Garment Grid you get for calibrating lightning towers worth it? I can't really justify doing 5 of those damn things 30 times each right now... what is it with shitty mini games and the Thunder Plains in this series?

Fuck calibrating those towers. I'd rather be water boarded

OmegaDL50

Capturing monsters requires luck?

Aren't all the monsters in predetermined areas based on location. Unless you are using the basis of random encounters for this, even so.

Usually it's best to just buy the Capture weapons for your three strongest STR characters when you first reach the Calmlands and that way you can always capture whatever is needed regardless of location you travel to.

i didn't get to pick up the Sun Crest after defeating
Yunalesca
so I went to go get it and D.Bahamut blindsided me. is there any way to get around him? and are there any other Celestial items blocked by Dark Aeons?

i went and did this today. i had one good run to 70 or so with a few other attempts but I figured I would turn off the sound and try in silence. it worked, did 200 right after i muted the TV.

HA! Happened to me as well back on PS2 days. Knew about it, but thought it was slightly ahead... ended up saving over my file! Had to use Yojimbo in the end. He charged me over 4million to kill Bahamut... I almost forgot to get the Crest again last night, actually! Remembered last minute, whew!

There is a Jecht Sphere blocked by
Dark Valefor
and if you missed a Destruction Sphere in Bevelle then one there as well. There's another Sphere in Gagazet but I'm pretty certain you can take the back route down without gettting stopped by
Dark Anima
. You should have already picked this up on the way up though.

Got the airship now. Time to carry on with the side quests. Need me some Enc None armour so I can get that blasted Thunder Plains out of the way.

ZeroX03

Banned
Capturing monsters requires luck?

Aren't all the monsters in predetermined areas based on location. Unless you are using the basis of random encounters for this, even so.

Usually it's best to just buy the Capture weapons for your three strongest STR characters when you first reach the Calmlands and that way you can always capture whatever is needed regardless of location you travel to.

When some of the random encounters are incredibly low, of course luck is a factor. Same with farming Adamantonise drops in XIII, some people can do it an hour with good luck, others it takes 10 hours.

I currently have 10 of every fiend except Barbatos and Ghost. I only have one each of those. That's basically hours more farming because of bad 'luck'. Luck might not be the best word, but there's a significant element of chance.

Butterfly catching is easy as, don't understand why so many people have issues with it. Only took me a couple of tries.

Butterfly catching is easy now because Square-Enix made it way easier.

In the original Final Fantasy X you had several less seconds to do the catching. Even with a perfect path and no red butterflies you'd finish with < 1 second to spare.

Accidentally run off to the side a bit? Sorry, start over.

Saphirax

HA! Happened to me as well back on PS2 days. Knew about it, but thought it was slightly ahead... ended up saving over my file! Had to use Yojimbo in the end. He charged me over 4million to kill Bahamut... I almost forgot to get the Crest again last night, actually! Remembered last minute, whew!

There is a Jecht Sphere blocked by
Dark Valefor
and if you missed a Destruction Sphere in Bevelle then one there as well. There's another Sphere in Gagazet but I'm pretty certain you can take the back route down without gettting stopped by
Dark Anima
. You should have already picked this up on the way up though.

Got the airship now. Time to carry on with the side quests. Need me some Enc None armour so I can get that blasted Thunder Plains out of the way.

The Destruction Sphere in Bevelle isn't missable.

genbatzu

When some of the random encounters are incredibly low, of course luck is a factor. Same with farming Adamantonise drops in XIII, some people can do it an hour with good luck, others it takes 10 hours.

I currently have 10 of every fiend except Barbatos and Ghost. I only have one each of those. That's basically hours more farming because of bad 'luck'. Luck might not be the best word, but there's a significant element of chance.

the best spot to get barbatos (it was the last monster for me, too) is
inside sin
next to the treasure chest with the lv4 sphere key, where you have to kill 10+10+15 monsters to open 3 doors. run in circles right in front of the chest. I sometimes got him 3 times in a row there, sometimes only after 5-10 random encounters. fleeing useless battles is also quite a time saver

OmegaDL50

That's it, yeah.

Ah, okay.

I thought you were talking about Destruction Spheres.

You actually need to trigger the fight for Dark Anima manually by doing that Blitzball puzzle. So the only two locations locked out by Dark Aeons are Besaid and Zanarkand for the Besaid stuff and Sun Crest respectively.

It's cool though.

Finally caught 10 of every monster. Also was able to get 3 slot triple AP weapons for everyone. Now the grinding for complete sphere grid and dark aeons begins.

Rosur

Seymour fight in Mount Gagazet is annoying. Especially once dying as have to watch the 5min ish story sequence again...

OmegaDL50

Seymour fight in Mount Gagazet is annoying. Especially once dying as have to watch the 5min ish story sequence again...

Use Bio and Silence Strike / Buster. He won't be able to cast or remove buffs like haste, and Poison does damage based on percentage of max health.

Levyne

Banned
I had to go through Chapter 4 twice because I had somehow missed something the first time through. Ugh. Glad that I caught it though, because I don't want to play through the game twice after having been so thorough the first go through.

I'm well on my way to a 10 pack of every monster but Tonberries in Yojimbo Cave are only at 1.

Because what the hell, that spawn rate. :mad:

Three trillion Magic Urns, sure. But one little green asshole is all I got.

CarJeter

Neo Member
Can someone explain to me how NG+ works in terms of percentage?

I have been playing through the game without the intention to 100% on the first playthrough. Currently at the end of Chapter 5 with 87%. When I start a NG+, do I still have 87%? And how do I get additional %? By completing the rest which I didnt bother to do on my first playthrough (like Calm Lands or No Dialogue Skip)?

Top Bottom