• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

OmegaDL50

FFX-2 has good gameplay, but lets be real storywise you have to pretend it ended with FFX and FFX-2 is just a bad fan fic :(

I wouldn't go so far to call it a bad fanfic. There are FAR worse examples to be had in the series for one thing.

Despite a lot peoples grievances to it's campy and fun presentation, it IS a good game. X-2 does take itself seriously after a certain point though, and Yuna goes through some important character development.

I think it's nice to sometimes see the end results of what the heroes accomplished rather then leaving up users interpretation.

Also there are lot who think Yuna's change was too dramatic, however there is a logical explanation for it.

Yuna as a follower of Yevon basically found out her religion was entirely on the basis of a lie. Living life to a strict tenant to adhere to those standards and teachings, and then finding out that it's entire premise was a falsehood just to keep the Maesters in power and have control over everyone in thinking the Final Aeon was the only way to give salvation to the people and one day they would truly be absolved of "Sin".

After Sin's final defeat and beginning of the eternal calm. Yuna no longer needed to be bound by Yevon's regulations as a priestess / summoner, and could then live life the way she wanted to.

I think it would be entirely redundant if FFX-2 had the approach of the story being all "two years have passed, and Spira is back in serious conflict!", there was nothing wrong with seeing Spira for the better without everyone being constantly fearful and oppressed by this massive summon monster and adhering to lies of Yevon as in FFX to maintain falsity of "hope". FFX-2 showed that it's people could live truly happy without worrying that their towns would be destroyed, or people massacred. Without Sin, that was the result.

I wouldn't go so far to call it a bad fanfic. There are FAR worse examples to be had in the series for one thing.

Despite a lot peoples grievances to it's campy and fun presentation, it IS a good game. X-2 does take itself seriously after a certain point though, and Yuna goes through some important character development.

I think it's nice to sometimes see the end results of what the heroes accomplished rather then leaving up users interpretation.

Also there are lot who think Yuna's change was too dramatic, however there is a logical explanation for it.

Yuna as a follower of Yevon basically found out her religion was entirely on the basis of a lie. Living life to a strict tenant to adhere to those standards and teachings, and then finding out that it's entire premise was a falsehood just to keep the Maesters in power and have control over everyone in thinking the Final Aeon was the only way to give salvation to the people and one day they would truly be absolved of "Sin".

After Sin's final defeat and beginning of the eternal calm. Yuna no longer needed to be bound by Yevon's regulations as a priestess / summoner, and could then live life the way she wanted to.

I think it would be entirely redundant if FFX-2 had the approach of the story being all "two years have passed, and Spira is back in serious conflict!", there was nothing wrong with seeing Spira for the better without everyone being constantly fearful and oppressed by this massive summon monster and adhering to lies of Yevon as in FFX to maintain falsity of "hope". FFX-2 showed that it's people could live truly happy without worrying that their towns would be destroyed, or people massacred. Without Sin, that was the result.

what you say is absolutely correct but they really overdid it. she could have been more carefree and following her own path without the cheesy pop singing and charlies angels. I liked the formation of new factions new yevon vs. the youth league was done very well and felt like the natural progression of Spira that was torn between the old ways and a new more progressive future. That part was done right. But yuna and rikkus characters were changed too drastically. Also the crew of Celsius are a bunch of goofballs. and so are team rocket esque Leblanc crew. With FFX there was a nice balance of characters and the comic relief was there when it needed to be and didn't overstay its welcome. With FFX-2 the comedy was at the forefront which was a drastic departure from the more dramatic and somber story of FFX. It makes sense to be more happy. but they crossed the line from carefre/happy into goofy territory. The game was kinda rushed though and reused alot of things so I guess it's ok game, but had they put more effort in it probably could have been much better.

Levyne

Banned
Defeated the Infinico boss. Did even use creature creation. Time to wrap up trophies, finish up game, and start Last Mission

OmegaDL50

I don't see how it was rushed. FFX released July 2001, FFX-2 was nearly two full years later in March 2003. No direct sequel to an FF game gets fullscale development allotted to it in comparison to a standalone FF title.

I don't think anyone would expect Square to release a direct sequel to FFX with entirely new assets, unless the result would be something akin to Dirge of Cerberus, which then would be mediocre. It's a given because the game takes place in the same world to at least maintain a level of quality and scale they would reuse a lot of FFX's assets.

I mean why would they spend the extra money to redo everything, when something functional and workable already exists. I don't know what your expecting out of a direct sequel to FFX.

Has anyone successfully zanmoto'd Dark Valefor? I keep trying but I guess I need to improve my compatibility more.

Annoying, just want to get Anima, and I need to go back to the temple.

X-2 is okay, but I don't really like it that much. Rikku went from being an energetic person to being a complete spaz and Yuna went from being more reserved to suddenly dancing and singing (with perfect skill no less) and giving high fives and cheesy girl power stuff. It was funny at first but the farther I play it just gets more obnoxious, especially when dramatic stuff happens and they are still doing it. (Mostly I just really hate Rikku).

Most of the side-quest stuff is also terrible and feels more like a chore than anything fun. At no point during the monkey matchmaking, chocobo chasing on Mi'ihen, or publicity raising was I really having any fun at all. What's the point of creating such a cool combat system only to spend most of the time doing crap like this rather than running around dungeons fighting monsters?

The game also is in that weird territory of seemingly being aimed at girls while also being loaded with obnoxious fanservice that makes it clearly aimed at guys. That hot springs scene was fucking awful (but there aren't really any hot springs scenes that aren't awful).

Basically I liked it at the beginning but the farther I got into it the more I've come to dislike it. I'm in the final dungeon and will beat it tonight but it ended up being a disappointing experience.

edit: I should add that The Eternal Calm doesn't really make any sense canonically either. It's set 2 years after FFX... and so is X-2... and apparently we're supposed to believe Yuna changed that drastically in that short of an amount of time. She was basically the same character from X in The Eternal Calm so yea.

Wazzy

Banned
Has anyone successfully zanmoto'd Dark Valefor? I keep trying but I guess I need to improve my compatibility more.

Annoying, just want to get Anima, and I need to go back to the temple.

Yup! It took me about 3 resets. Make sure you grand summon him and then pay him a decent amount. I don't know why but I added a 1 at the end of the funds I was paying him and it seemed to make him use it. I also forgot besaids destruction sphere so I hadn't used Yojimbo much.

Yup! It took me about 3 resets. Make sure you grand summon him and then pay him a decent amount. I don't know why but I added a 1 at the end of the funds I was paying him and it seemed to make him use it. I also forgot besaids destruction sphere so I hadn't used Yojimbo much.

Oh shit, grand summoning helps? Did not know that, I'll go try it now, thanks.

ZeroX03

Banned
the Excellent Negotiator trophy says to "Use Bribe 30 Times". Do the have to be Successful?

No, tested personally. Just Bribe 0 gil over and over. Gambler's Dream also only requires matching two dice, and for Alchemist I just mixed potions over and over.

XJF

No, tested personally. Just Bribe 0 gil over and over. Gambler's Dream also only requires matching two dice, and for Alchemist I just mixed potions over and over.

Already did the Mix one, had all 3 ladies mixing 2 potions. Went really quick. THanks for the tip for Gambler's Dream

Balphon

Oh shit, grand summoning helps? Did not know that, I'll go try it now, thanks.

Not grand summoning per se; it's just that he's more likely to use Zanmato if his Overdrive gauge is full. Returns start diminishing pretty rapidly as you pay him increasing amounts of gil. I paid him 32,768 gil for every Zanmato personally; worked about half the time against Dark Aeons with his Overdrive full.

Croc

Banned
Okay so...can someone explain something dumb to me. I don't really understand recruiting and contracts for Blitzball.

I see people everywhere saying Nimrook is hands down the best goalie, but his contract is for 24 games. Does that mean I can't even use him until I play 24 full games first? That seems kind of pointless cause from what I read you can get everything you need to out of Blitzball in just 25-26 games. Should I just use someone else instead if I'm just trying to get Blitzball overwith ASAP?

XJF

Okay so...can someone explain something dumb to me. I don't really understand recruiting and contracts for Blitzball.

I see people everywhere saying Nimrook is hands down the best goalie, but his contract is for 24 games. Does that mean I can't even use him until I play 24 full games first? That seems kind of pointless cause from what I read you can get everything you need to out of Blitzball in just 25-26 games. Should I just use someone else instead if I'm just trying to get Blitzball overwith ASAP?

Pretty much, Then after 24 games you have to hope he doesn't re-Sign with them. just use Jumal instead. He's in Luca Square

ramyeon

It means his contact with the Psyches lasts 24 games, at which point they will either resign him or let him go (At which point you can recruit him). You can just do Exhibition games with the Psyches (Which you can forfeit right off the bat) 24 times. Make sure to save after the 23rd time though so you can reset until they let him go.

But yeah, if you're using Data Reset there's no point. I got him because I wanted to make a good team and raise their stats. If you are playing Blitzball expressly for the sigil it's not worth it.

Balphon

Yes, and in any event having good MF/defenders is far more useful than having a good goalie.

Croc

Banned
All right, thanks for the quick answers guys! I'll grab Jumal instead then.

Anyone have suggestion for the rest of the positions too? I've never really played Blitzball before aside from that first game (which I somehow managed to win) so I don't really know anything about which people are best (obviously).

Sora_N

Do the Jecht Spheres sometimes appear later in the story? I don't think I got the Luca Stadium one but I couldn't find it. I assume there's no way to check my progress.

I don't want to worry too much since I'm just playing for story. I didn't finish it when I played on PS2.

Roto13

Do the Jecht Spheres sometimes appear later in the story? I don't think I got the Luca Stadium one but I couldn't find it. I assume there's no way to check my progress.

I don't want to worry too much since I'm just playing for story. I didn't finish it when I played on PS2.

They only appear after a certain point in the story.

Levyne

Banned
So how do you unlock fiend tales? Level them up a few times? Mine catch at level 99 >_>

Guess I'll reload a really early save. Just want the one.

XJF

So how do you unlock fiend tales? Level them up a few times? Mine catch at level 99 >_>

You catch them, level up ~5 times, then release. Not sure how it works if you catch at lvl 99 though lol

Son Of D

General bestiary.

Thanks. Shouldn't be a hassle (unless I have to Oversoul all the monsters as well. In that case I better get used to farming the fiend arena).

You can get Fiend Tale bonuses from completing cups in the Fiend Arena. They have to be in the active party however to get that bonus. I'm not sure if it works for all fiends and if it also allows you to get the endings from the beginning by doing that.

Holmes

Yeah, the Monster Master trophy includes Oversoul'd enemies.

Is Paragon a one-time only enemy? Well, I'll try to oversoul him the first time I face him regardless, then bribe him.

XJF

Yeah, the Monster Master trophy includes Oversoul'd enemies.

Is Paragon a one-time only enemy? Well, I'll try to oversoul him the first time I face him regardless, then bribe him.

Yes, once per playthrough. Just keep beating WEAPON type enemies until they oversoul then just run from them all until you get to floor 100

Is this worth keeping or should I beat Dark Valefor again to try for something better?

Wakka's Shutout armor:

Break HP limit
Ribbon
2 empty slots

This is the best unless you don't want to bother breaking the HP limit.

I never got any BHPL stuff when I played FFX for the first time a long time ago. Is it worthwhile?

Another one I found was for Rikku, auto regen, break hp limit, and 1 or 2 empty slots (I think 1).

Man I have no idea what I'm doing in X-2..

I don't know if I like being free to go anywhere so early in the game because I'm just trying to find those syndicates and I keep getting sidetracked by missions like selling tickets or chasing chocobos and that idiot Oaka around. Can I come back and do these side missions later, or do they change for every chapter?

I like the game's silliness though. I feel like I'm playing a Jem and the Holograms game or something.

Thanks. Shouldn't be a hassle (unless I have to Oversoul all the monsters as well. In that case I better get used to farming the fiend arena).

You can get Fiend Tale bonuses from completing cups in the Fiend Arena. They have to be in the active party however to get that bonus. I'm not sure if it works for all fiends and if it also allows you to get the endings from the beginning by doing that.
I was about to ask how if you are 99. Makes sense because you cannot level up 5 levels.

Now my 100% is what the guide says it should be. Never playing freely again!

Well, just finished FFX tonight. I still say FFX is one of my favorite endings in the medium. Dem feels... DEM FEELS.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about something until just now, though. Did the
original Tidus die during the war that took place 1000 years ago? And he was just recreated by the Fayth of the summoners/villagers of Zanarkand? It would explain why he went to the Farplane with Jecht, Braska, and Auron at the end. Or were the people of the Dream Zanarkand just new people? I mean, the Fayth doing the summoning were creating the Dream Zanarkand based on their memories of the city, so... You'd think Tidus would have been alive prior to that. One thing I wish they had done differently was Yu Yevon. I don't even mean his form (although it is rather boring - I understand why they did that tho). I just mean I wish we had talked to Yu Yevon before the final battle... iirc, they said Yu Yevon wasn't even really in control anymore, so I guess it makes sense why they didn't talk, but still.

I wonder if they knew they were gonna do a sequel prior to releasing FFX because I see no
other logical reason for that after credits scene now that I think about it. Unless it's just a "there's a chance he came when Yuna whistled!" type of scene.

Top Bottom