• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

OmegaDL50

Hmmm... GAF players, what are your thoughts about the remastered OST? I began to listen to it by curiosity, and I'm not quite convinced by what I'm hearing. The Remastered version of "A Fleeting Dream / Someday the Dream Will End" in particular made me cringe actually.

I've posted this before but...

The original wasn't a real recording. The resonance and reverb sounded really fake, the performance was wooden and the piano soundset sounded a bit "metallic".

New one is much more natural. I'm glad they didn't change much but just upgraded the track's sonic qualities because the original soundtrack for Final Fantasy X and X-2 are in PSF2 format, which is not unlike a midi synthesis which uses set of soundbank samples and is not a studio recording saved to a wave form or mpeg audio or even ADX which some games with pre-recorded music with live instruments are done.

You can read up on it here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Sound_Format

The fact that FFX and X-2 HD Remaster are now using higher quality instrumentation and not using the PS2-engine based synth is a significant improvement.

The original FFX does have streamed audio with live recordings for 10+ tracks though. For some reason, Mostly the Hymn of the Faith. Surprisingly To Zanarkand wasn't one of them. (Yes the Piano intro from FFX wasn't real piano but rather basically PSF-based midi synthesis instead of a live piano recording)

Based on the Besaid and Battle Themes, the remasters seem to mostly be using VSTis and only a few live instruments, but today's high-end samples and soundsets are so much better than the almost 15 years old PS2 chip's soundsets.

Some people will dislike the changes, for me though, being a regular user of FL Studio, Impulse Tracker and other music creation software, I like the fact they went to the effort of revising and using higher quality samples used for FFX, instead of just recording the original samples to wav and just slapping them on the disc as is.

Although I suppose for some the option of having the original would be nice for those who want the choice to swap between the two. Of course some don't think the remasters audio wasn't executed well, but 2 of the 3 original artists handed the soundtrack, with Uematsu apparently supervising, so it's not like the original artists intent was lacking when the remasters were done

I completed Tidus, Wakka, and Auron's sphere grids last night. Hopefully the worst is behind me. The worst being farming purple spheres and then backtracking all over the grid to get filled in slots for characters. Yuna, Rikku, Khimari, and Lulu are still really low level, so probably 3/4 of their grids haven't even been explored yet, so hopefully since I can just go straight through it will be less painful than backtracking all over.

Flandy

8 fiends left to capture until I have 10 of everything, then it's full on grind mode. I've already traversed the entirety of the sphere grid with Tidus and Rikku, but I haven't started using Clear Nodes yet.

Might take a crack at some of the easier dark aeons. How tough is dark Yojimbo? I want to farm him for Ribbons.

I got up to 50 luck with Wakka, Tidus, and Auron to fight Dark Yojimbo. Once I was done with that I just cleared every Luck node off the grid so I didn't have to grind Fortune spheres

I got up to 50 luck with Wakka, Tidus, and Auron to fight Dark Yojimbo. Once I was done with that I just cleared every Luck node off the grid so I didn't have to grind Fortune spheres

Fortune spheres actually aren't too bad if you use the 2 minute method of killing earth eater. It has the side benefit of dropping weapons that sell for 150k gil each, so you can make a ton of money doing it (in case you still need money, anyway). I farmed earth eater for about a half hour and got 2 million gil and ~25 fortune spheres.

Flandy

Fortune spheres actually aren't too bad if you use the 2 minute method of killing earth eater. It has the side benefit of dropping weapons that sell for 150k gil each, so you can make a ton of money doing it (in case you still need money, anyway). I farmed earth eater for about a half hour and got 2 million gil and ~25 fortune spheres.
I sucked at doing Attack Reels so it always took me forever :(

I sucked at doing Attack Reels so it always took me forever :(

Attack Reels is the slow way, despite what you might read online. The fast way is to max your strength and magic defense to 255 each, then mash X until he dies. the Attack Reels method requires you to use Attack Reels 4 times. The animations alone from that take longer than 2 minutes. If you literally just mash X until he dies, you hit for 99,999 each time (compared to Attack reels where each hit hits for about 30k), and you never have to deal with slow ass Overdrive animations.

I actually timed this, and I'm 100% sure that this is faster than a perfect 4x Attack Reels run. You can get it down to 90 seconds if you have 3x Auto-Shell, because then you won't have to watch the Auto-Phoenix animation as much.

So basically: 3x Auto Phoenix, 3x Auto Haste (optional 3x Auto-Shell), 255 STR, 255 MDEF, mash X until he dies.

Flandy

Attack Reels is the slow way, despite what you might read online. The fast way is to max your strength and magic defense to 255 each, then mash X until he dies. the Attack Reels method requires you to use Attack Reels 4 times. The animations alone from that take longer than 2 minutes. If you literally just mash X until he dies, you hit for 99,999 each time (compared to Attack reels where each hit hits for about 30k), and you never have to deal with slow ass Overdrive animations.

I actually timed this, and I'm 100% sure that this is faster than a perfect 4x Attack Reels run. You can get it down to 90 seconds if you have 3x Auto-Shell, because then you won't have to watch the Auto-Phoenix animation as much.

So basically: 3x Auto Phoenix, 3x Auto Haste (optional 3x Auto-Shell), 255 STR, 255 MDEF, mash X until he dies.

The more you know :( Yeah I've already zanmato'd everything and got the Platinum so it doesn't matter to me now :p Unless I want to go back and defeat Penance legitimately lol

Ourobolus

Banned

You don't need to use Attack Reels 4 times to kill Earth Eater.
2 Attack Reels + 2 regular attacks does the trick just fine.

Typically by the time I get to Loner Wakka, he's got two turns before Earth Eater's turn. Quick Hit once, then Attack Reels. He'll fall over, defend 3 times (or is it 2?), Attack Reels, Quick Hit. Done.

OmegaDL50

You don't even need to use four Attack Reels. Two of them followed by using Quick Hit once or twice is more then sufficient.

It does more damage and takes less time then what your suggesting.

I said this twice but anyways. The trick to getting attack reels off immediately is hitting the first x2 right away, landing the last reel for x2 simply requires hitting the button when x1 is at the bottom of the screen.

I also don't recommend Auto-Shell. Far more enemies use physical or non-magical based attacks over Magic. Auto-Shell also has the negative factor of cutting the effectiveness of even Healing spells in half.

So, im playing this game just for kicks now and (maybe) considering getting serious and going for at least the ultimate weapons later. I have this habit of switching everyone into the fights just so that they get their AP but I'm at the thunder plains now and it's becoming a drag. Would I be better off just focusing on 3-4 people at a time or am i going about it the right way?

Also, I'm playing with the expert grid but somehow Auron is following Tidus's grid now and I kinda would like for him to learn his own stuff. What ability should i be looking for in the grid to have Auron go back in the right direction? I don't need two tiduses, really.

ubercheez

So, im playing this game just for kicks now and (maybe) considering getting serious and going for at least the ultimate weapons later. I have this habit of switching everyone into the fights just so that they get their AP but I'm at the thunder plains now and it's becoming a drag. Would I be better off just focusing on 3-4 people at a time or am i going about it the right way?

Also, I'm playing with the expert grid but somehow Auron is following Tidus's grid now and I kinda would like for him to learn his own stuff. What ability should i be looking for in the grid to have Auron go back in the right direction? I don't need two tiduses, really.

Don't worry about getting all 7 characters in on every single fight if it's feeling like a hassle. I pretty much just brought each character in for their monster type and tried to get a couple extras in if it was convenient. I'd get 4-6 characters AP from each fight, usually.

Auron's path has all of the Break abilities. Magic Break, Armor Break, and so forth.

Don't worry about getting all 7 characters in on every single fight if it's feeling like a hassle. I pretty much just brought each character in for their monster type and tried to get a couple extras in if it was convenient. I'd get 4-6 characters AP from each fight, usually.

Auron's path has all of the Break abilities. Magic Break, Armor Break, and so forth.

thanks for the help. Yeah, those look like real useful techniques. now, to spend like 6 levels trying to get him back in the right direction, hah.

Falk

that puzzling face
(Yes the Piano intro from FFX wasn't real piano but rather basically PSF-based midi synthesis instead of a live piano recording)

p.s. piano is one of the easiest instruments to 'fake' with samples. :V I don't know why people -still- find it surprising.

I mean literally the fact that the mechanics of a piano involve note-on (and velocity) and note-off with no real significant variation in performance e.g. transitions between notes, vibrato, aftertouch, etc has been capitalized on by physically auto-playing piano via piano rolls (and more recently MIDI-enabled grand pianos) since forever.

OmegaDL50

p.s. piano is one of the easiest instruments to 'fake' with samples. :V I don't know why people -still- find it surprising.

I mean literally the fact that the mechanics of a piano involve note-on (and velocity) and note-off with no real significant variation in performance e.g. transitions between notes, vibrato, aftertouch, etc has been capitalized on by physically auto-playing piano via piano rolls (and more recently MIDI-enabled grand pianos) since forever.

Yeah, I understand what your saying. I mean considering one could buy a $30,000 Steinway for a true Grand Piano, or purchase a $3k Yamaha MOTIF with Pressure Sensitive Keys and a simulated Hammer effect at a 1/10th of the price and because of progression of technology get the same quality sound yet being an Electronic Keyboard.

One has value because it's potential of being an antique, the other is more practical as a musicians tool in a recording studio or plugged up to your computer using it in a Audio Workstation (FL Studio or Cakewalk)

I can't imagine what electronic instruments will be like in the next 20 years or so.

Unfortunately, this doesn't prevent a lot of people from thinking "Because it sounds like a real Piano, it must be recorded from a real piano"

Jisgsaw

You don't even need to use four Attack Reels. Two of them followed by using Quick Hit once or twice is more then sufficient.

I said this twice but anyways. The trick to getting attack reels off immediately is hitting the first x2 right away, landing the last reel for x2 simply requires hitting the button when x1 is at the bottom of the screen.

I also don't recommend Auto-Shell. Far more enemies use physical or non-magical based attacks over Magic. Auto-Shell also has the negative factor of cutting the effectiveness of even Healing spells in half.

Well, his method has the nice side effect that you don't need to watch the screen, thus enabeling you to do other things meanwhile and just mash X (praise be the Vita). I think I'll go with that.

Yeah, I understand what your saying. I mean considering one could buy a $30,000 Steinway for a true Grand Piano, or purchase a $3k Yamaha MOTIF with Pressure Sensitive Keys and a simulated Hammer effect at a 1/10th of the price and because of progression of technology get the same quality sound yet being an Electronic Keyboard.

One has value because it's potential of being an antique, the other is more practical as a musicians tool in a recording studio or plugged up to your computer using it in a Audio Workstation (FL Studio or Cakewalk)

I can't imagine what electronic instruments will be like in the next 20 years or so.

Unfortunately, this doesn't prevent a lot of people from thinking "Because it sounds like a real Piano, it must be recorded from a real piano"

Well, I've yet to see an electronic piano that gives the same feel when you play it as a grand piano (granted, I never touched a Stainway, but I'd guess it's even better than the lousy ones I played on).

Wow, Just tried to beat Dark Sandy by herself and couldn't get a single hit in, even though my accuracy is over 220 and Luck is 68, what the shit, think I'm just gonna zanmatou the three.

I'm curious to see what your time against Earth Eater is if you use a stopwatch on your Attack Reels method. I couldn't get under 3 minutes using Attack Reels, even getting a 12-hit every time.

Edit: I watched a video of it, took 1:50. So it's basically about the same as mashing x.

ubercheez

Well Fuck that, Zanmato it is! Is there a good guide as to how to get him to like you the most and pay the littlest money?

The calculation is much, much more forgiving in this version. Just get him into overdrive mode and always pay him at least 1024 if you want to bump his compatibility up against some regular fiends first.

Saphirax

Well Fuck that, Zanmato it is! Is there a good guide as to how to get him to like you the most and pay the littlest money?

Just go to any area where fiends aren't a threat and use him to kill them. Lowest amount you can pay him is around 1010 gil. Not sure on the exact amount. Just pay him 1200+ every time.

Don't summon and immediately dismiss him, don't get him killed and make sure you pay him enough.

His dog attack lowers his affection.

The calculation is much, much more forgiving in this version. Just get him into overdrive mode and always pay him at least 1024 if you want to bump his compatibility up against some regular fiends first.

Just go to any area where fiends aren't a threat and use him to kill them. Lowest amount you can pay him is around 1010 gil. Not sure on the exact amount. Just pay him 1200+ every time.

Don't summon and immediately dismiss him, don't get him killed and make sure you pay him enough.

His dog attack lowers his affection.

Thanks, you two!

H2Yo

After many hours of trying, I managed to beat the Catcha Chocobo race with 0.0.0
That was absolutely bloody awful... Managed to do the first butterfly catch without much of an issue but the second is a bit of a PITA.

krae_man

What is the drop rate for triple overdrive weapons with one eye? He's dropped armor like 80% of the time and every weapon drop has been wakkas.

Levyne

Banned
What is the drop rate for triple overdrive weapons with one eye? He's dropped armor like 80% of the time and every weapon drop has been wakkas.

He's more likely to drop for the character that defeats him, so maybe try to make sure someone else gets the blow. Doesn't guarantee it, but increases your chances.

krae_man

He's more likely to drop for the character that defeats him, so maybe try to make sure someone else gets the blow. Doesn't guarantee it, but increases your chances.

He kicks my ass so only my aeons can take him out. Crap. I'm fucked if he hits that sonically whatever that casts multiple status effects.

Flandy

Any tips before going into X-2? I always sucked at X-2 and ended up underleveled because I would always focus on one job D:

Atlantis

Any tips before going into X-2? I always sucked at X-2 and ended up underleveled because I would always focus on one job D:

The game is overall very easy, I wouldn't worry too much about being underleveled or spheres falling behind.

Like I said in a previous post, most of the spheres only have a few good abilities and everything else is filler. There are also jobs that are useful mostly because of their stats, not their skillset. You can pretty much tackle the game however you want, find spheres you like and use them.

Began my stat maxing. I'm having real issues with OCD because I want to group spheres by stat, but that means extra work especially because my party will have less stats which makes grinding slower.

Are these the stats to aim for?
Agility - 170
Evade - 0
Accuracy - 0
Luck - 255 (80 for sanity, but requires max Accuracy)
Everything else - 255

I find myself deleting HP and MP nodes since I'm way beyond 9999/999. I could delete something that ends up bringing me below that but I can always just plop a node somewhere.

My armors are Auto-Haste, Auto-Potion and Auto-Protect. Gonna put Def+20% later. I really think I should put Ribbon on one character because all these Dark Matters I get are wasted when I have 99 of them right now.

Flandy

The game is overall very easy, I wouldn't worry too much about being underleveled or spheres falling behind.

Like I said in a previous post, most of the spheres only have a few good abilities and everything else is filler. There are also jobs that are useful mostly because of their stats, not their skillset. You can pretty much tackle the game however you want, find spheres you like and use them.

Any missables I should be on the look out for? What dress spheres should I use? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to X-2. I would always just focus on like their default classes so I have no idea what jobs are good D:

Levyne

Banned
Any missables I should be on the look out for? What dress spheres should I use? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to X-2. I would always just focus on like their default classes so I have no idea what jobs are good D:

Do you care about 100% or platinum?

Atlantis

Began my stat maxing. I'm having real issues with OCD because I want to group spheres by stat, but that means extra work especially because my party will have less stats which makes grinding slower.

Are these the stats to aim for?
Agility - 170
Evade - 0
Accuracy - 0
Luck - 255 (80 for sanity, but requires max Accuracy)
Everything else - 255

I find myself deleting HP and MP nodes since I'm way beyond 9999/999. I could delete something that ends up bringing me below that but I can always just plop a node somewhere.

My armors are Auto-Haste, Auto-Potion and Auto-Protect. Gonna put Def+20% later. I really think I should put Ribbon on one character because all these Dark Matters I get are wasted when I have 99 of them right now.

Luck soft caps at 230, not 255. You don't need Accuracy, even with 85 Luck. (Get 85, not 80) Evasion soft caps at Luck + Evasion = 290 (So you'd need 60 with 230 Luck). However, hitting the cap is only affects Dark Ixion, anything else and you're fine with base Evasion.

FFX-2 has missables out the ass. (There is a New Game+ feature, however) There's really too many to list here.

Like I said, use the spheres you like. The game's story isn't difficult enough to require anything specific. If you're looking for an opinion though, Festivalist and Trainer are probably the least useful for me. (Paine has the best version of both if you want to use them) I find Gun Mage pretty suspect as well, though others in this thread like it a lot.

Looking down the list, everything else gets at least some use from me. Samurai is pretty bad, but its self-healing/buff abilities are good carryovers to another sphere. Lady Luck isn't too useful for 'real' fights, but double exp/gil/items and free bribing make it very useful for grinding.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
3 things bugging me!

That darn long drawn out prayer bow! Gonna have ta sit through alot more of those before the games up huh?

Teammates only get AP if they do an action in battle! Gotta drag out every last lil encounter instead of just giving like half AP to ones not doing anything like super good rpgs do >.>

Tidus's 3rd Person mode. I hope he doesn't keep this up forever. This constant flashbacky narration is hurting the in-the-now story for me. Hope X-2 doesn't have this!

Roto13

The Platinum for X was already tedious enough. I don't think I could take another :lol Was just wondering if there is anything good that I should go out of my way to get

If you don't follow a 100% completion guide perfectly, you won't get the best dress sphere.

XJF

Just beat Concherer on Floor 60. Super easy with the Paine+Thief+Cat Nip+Speed Bracer method. Yuna was mastered Mascot with Adamantite on. He was hitting her for under 500 damage lol

EDIT: can't get any of the first 4 types of "Vermin" fiends to appear on their floors. Have them all in Beastiary from my trip through the Mi'ihen Dungeon, but they aren't appearing in Via Infinito so I can Oversoul them...
WTF

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
If there's one way the 7th console generation was better than all the ones before it, it's that Guide Dang It as a concept to sell Guides completely went away during it. Maybe it's been replaced with DLC and exorbitantly priced Special Editions but at least games aren't made just to fuck with you so much until you get sick of it and buy the guide just to figure it out, basically the same concept as F2P games that throw up obscene difficulty walls.

And if for some reason you don't believe or agree with me. I have but 2 words to say that will rear their ugly head when FFXII is HD'ified.

Zodiac Spear

Flandy

Lol love that when Brothers about to hug Yuna Rikku comes, kicks him, and calls him a "Sicko!"

Also, what the hell is with these early of areas of the game being Native res? Is the rest native too?

edit: In Besaid now. NOPE not Native res :( Gahh those areas looked so nice at that higher resolution too ;__;

grimmiq

Finally got around to finishing FFX and started on FFX-2..I was wondering why I only ever finished X-2 once and never replayed it on PS2..Written like a 14 year old girl's fanfic.. "Oh poopie."

"We discovered something that may lead to a terrible weapon..what will we do?"
"I know, let's have a dance party."

Balphon

How tedious is the x2 platinum compared to x? In terms of time investment and welll, just tediousness.

If you just want the platinum it should be quite a bit less grindy (and therefore likely less time consuming), though you may or may not find fastidiously following a guide to ensure you get 100% to be tedious.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Just completely explored the Omega Ruins. Gained about 20+ levels all around. Then died to Breath cause I forgot to keep Wakka who has a Ribbon on in. I think I'm done for tonight. And for the next week. I'm not one to burn 3 hours and brush it off. I was basically done hunting too... I'm gonna go buy a game to get my mind off this.

No More Heroes : No Puzzles Either, here I come.

Flandy

Just completely explored the Omega Ruins. Gained about 20+ levels all around. Then died to Breath cause I forgot to keep Wakka who has a Ribbon on in. I think I'm done for tonight. And for the next week. I'm not one to burn 3 hours and brush it off. I was basically done hunting too... I'm gonna go buy a game to get my mind off this.

No More Heroes : No Puzzles Either, here I come.

We could play TLoU to take your mind off it

Top Bottom