• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Audioboxer

Does anyone have any tips for Chocobo Master? (trophy)

Watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyamu6xg0H4 but I always seem to lose out on time from wall grinding.

Think this is going to end up causing me more issues than the 0:0:0 race! Is it better to use analogue or d-pad? Any other tips?

lol just like the chocobo race coming on GAF and complaining seems to have done the trick...

IMG_20140511_173026.jpg

Audioboxer

Congrats!

Maybe I should go do Chocobo Catcher now after complaining.

My tip to starting is to push the left analog stick north east, but not fully north east, a bit more to the east. Try finding the sweet spot a few times, once you do you'll get the perfect start with the chocobo bombing it right down the slope.

Another tip that helped me is when you open a chest and do a jump, do not be holding in any direction on the analog stick. Wait till you're landed and the camera is adjusted before moving. You might lose a split second after each jump, but for me it made sure I didn't make any errors like moving the wrong way or clipping a wall.

It's tight, you end up just landing in front of the other chocobo or having to hold in hard left to push it out of the way after the fifth chest. There are also two ramps leading up to the fifth chest, the second ramp was better for me.

edit: Just noticed you're doing catcher, oh man that one is pure luck. Never want to have to do it again.

Hobbun

Yep, doing Catcher right now. But I'll keep your tips in mind for Chocobo Master. When I ran it on the PS2, I don't think I got 5 chests, I believe it was 3. So I have a feeling this will frustrate me as well.

Thanks for the info!

mstevens

For the temple race, a lot of videos I watched had the person taking the first "backward" turn after the 4th chest to get to the 5th, but if you actually run down and take the 2nd "backward" turn to get to the 5th chest, it is much, much faster. Got it on the first try using that method.

Warrior OD is kinda bull. I just found out that with max stats, you actually get so much less from it. Eg, if you're expected to deal 300k damage but only do 99999 because of the cap, you get less OD than dealing 99999 with an expected 99999 damage. No wonder I get very little OD. I'm now at a point where Ally fills as much if not a little more. :/

Before I try grinding for Wakka's stuff, does Attack Reels have as much delay as Blitz Ace?

Falk

that puzzling face
Wait, I thought you meant in terms of how long the animation takes. As in, I thought it was a grinding efficiency question.

Derp.

Warrior OD is kinda bull. I just found out that with max stats, you actually get so much less from it. Eg, if you're expected to deal 300k damage but only do 99999 because of the cap, you get less OD than dealing 99999 with an expected 99999 damage. No wonder I get very little OD. I'm now at a point where Ally fills as much if not a little more. :/

Before I try grinding for Wakka's stuff, does Attack Reels have as much delay as Blitz Ace?
Yeah, once you're hitting the damage cap consistently, Warrior gets worse and worse. Wouldn't suck as badly if OD damage counted toward it (the way OD kills count toward Slayer), but that'd make Warrior *too* good for many use cases.

mstevens

Just finishing up the Monster Arena and I need some advice on how to approach the sphere grid.

I know about the Don Tonberry trick, and I should be able to blast One Eye with an aeon to get the weapon I need, so AP levels shouldn't be a problem. What I'm way more worried about are the empty nodes. I've already skipped over a ton of these empties as I've leveled naturally, and getting 99 AP levels would just make me skip over that many more, meaning I'd have to go back and do it all again anyway. It seems as though the way to grind the spheres that fill the empty ones is by killing the original monsters. Is there one that is fairly easy? I don't want to use Yojimbo a million times and I don't think my party is strong enough to farm them. I don't really care about stat maxing, just getting the grid done fast and efficiently.

I'm new to this so I appreciate any advice!

Atlantis

Just finishing up the Monster Arena and I need some advice on how to approach the sphere grid.

I know about the Don Tonberry trick, and I should be able to blast One Eye with an aeon to get the weapon I need, so AP levels shouldn't be a problem. What I'm way more worried about are the empty nodes. I've already skipped over a ton of these empties as I've leveled naturally, and getting 99 AP levels would just make me skip over that many more, meaning I'd have to go back and do it all again anyway. It seems as though the way to grind the spheres that fill the empty ones is by killing the original monsters. Is there one that is fairly easy? I don't want to use Yojimbo a million times and I don't think my party is strong enough to farm them. I don't really care about stat maxing, just getting the grid done fast and efficiently.

I'm new to this so I appreciate any advice!

The answer is in your post. One-Eye drops Magic Defense Spheres.

One-Eye is easiest. With enough STR, you can two shot him since he only has 150,000HP. One-Eye also drops OD->AP / Triple AP weapons which sell for a great price. The enemy that drops MP Spheres is fastest (need only one turn) but needs a fair amount of LCK/ACC to actually hit it.

Attack Reels is Rank 4 while Blitz Ace is Rank 7.
Same rank as SnD? That's nuts. I'm missing out on so much grinding efficiency.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm filling up the blank slots with MP Def Spheres since they're the easiest to get (One-Eye). I guess that's good enough?

Arthea

It's a pity that AP egg earliest is available in chapter 5, I need it now more, as I try to keep girls low level and not having useful skills learned is bad, I need to do it at least for some dresspheres, anything I can use in chapter 3? I can't think of any non painful method.

Balphon

It's a pity that AP egg earliest is available in chapter 5, I need it now more, as I try to keep girls low level and not having useful skills learned is bad, I need to do it at least for some dresspheres, anything I can use in chapter 3? I can't think of any non painful method.

The Intrepid garment grid from beating the standard cup in the fiend arena 3 times.

Arthea

The Intrepid garment grid from beating the standard cup in the fiend arena 3 times.

I tried to use it, but it seems not working, or I'm using it the wrong way. Does it add percentage to dressphear you change from or change to? Because it seems to me that to neither.

Balphon

I tried to use it, but it seems not working, or I'm using it the wrong way. Does it add percentage to dressphear you change from or change to? Because it seems to me that to neither.

It's like any other GG with that kind of bonus. You have to switch dresspheres enough to pass through all of the indicated colored nodes on the grid. Once that's done, the bonus triggers for the rest of that battle.

Arthea

It's like any other GG with that kind of bonus. You have to switch dresspheres enough to pass through all of the indicated colored nodes on the grid. Once that's done, the bonus triggers for the rest of that battle.

Thanks, I'll try one more time and see how it goes.

now that i think about it, ffx would have been the perfect game for me like a decade ago when i was in highschool... along with all the other hefty jrpgs, shame i was on gcn train (which wasn't too shabby but still). Now im getting pissed why are there so many 'final bosses'??? I just want this to end already D:

question, besides using a guide, does the game ever surface to you that there is a bunch of shit to do after unlocking the ability to fly around the world? I beat ffx a few years ago blind and was surprised there was so much shit to do that i missed. Even now... nothing points to you that, hey there is shit to do in the world!

question, besides using a guide, does the game ever surface to you that there is a bunch of shit to do after unlocking the ability to fly around the world? I beat ffx a few years ago blind and was surprised there was so much shit to do that i missed. Even now... nothing points to you that, hey there is shit to do in the world!

They're all already available before you get proper airship access (even Dark Aeons).

mstevens

So, I was all content with just putting Magic Def spheres in all the empties and calling it a day, but I just found out that I can't use Zanmato on Dark Yojimbo because I have to fight him 5 times in a row without saving. Guess it is back to maxing stats.

The problem is that my team isn't good enough to beat a lot of the sphere dropping monsters, yet I need those monsters to get stronger. Would you suggest skipping empty nodes for now and just getting whats on the board and going back when I'm stronger, or what?

does the game ever mention 'hey listen! It might be to your interest to revisit old locations'

And who would bother treking all the way back before you can even get a no encounter equip?

The best time to do it is right after the Sphere Eater battle; basically the only Jecht Sphere you encounter *after* that point is the Braska Sphere on Mt. Gagazet; the rest of them are laid out along the road back to Besaid. And if you *don't* turn back at that point, you can't get the Besaid one until after you beat Dark Valefor.

the issue is, how would one know without a prima guide or gamefaqs or w/e open at all times?

This playthrough i made super sure that i talked to every npc or w/e, even when you get access to the world map, there is no mention that there is new shit to do in places you've visited before.

maybe that is just how games were designed back then, but its pretty sneaky for ffx where for the most part the game is as linear as linear games can be, with a flashing red arrow telling you where to go next.

Finalow

jesus, in that team there surely was someone that just wanted to deliver some stupid and annoying as hell mini games 'cause WHY NOT.
that thunder plains mini game made my day. I seriously would like to meet the guy (or the guys) that came up with these ideas and see what issues he/they had.

the fact that in FFX-2 there is even more of that crap than FFX it's just .. lol. I'm trying to go for the 100% but I had no idea that it was this annoying or boring. missions, yeah, some of them might be even "interesting" or somehow related to the story but most of them are just crap. and I'm only at the end of chapter 2.
the only mini game that I had some fun (it ended after 3-4 tries) with is the one with Yuna killing monsters in Besaid.

Cornbread78

Ok, so I gave up on plat and went ahead and finished FFX here's my question:
is the ending in the vita version completely different from the NA PS2 versio
I mean, it just ends as he starts to dissappear, that's not how I remember it, also, wasn't there a movie in the background showing all the characters back home during the credits
n?

am I losing my mind here?

the issue is, how would one know without a prima guide or gamefaqs or w/e open at all times?

This playthrough i made super sure that i talked to every npc or w/e, even when you get access to the world map, there is no mention that there is new shit to do in places you've visited before.

maybe that is just how games were designed back then, but its pretty sneaky for ffx where for the most part the game is as linear as linear games can be, with a flashing red arrow telling you where to go next.

You're just supposed to find Dark Aeons accidentally, even if it's a pretty dick move. People backtrack earlier just to get items before Dark Aeons block them. Jecht Spheres, Chocobo, Blitzball, lightning dodge, butterfly catching, monster arena... the game explicitly tells you about them.

You're just supposed to find Dark Aeons accidentally, even if it's a pretty dick move. People backtrack earlier just to get items before Dark Aeons block them. Jecht Spheres, Chocobo, Blitzball, lightning dodge, butterfly catching, monster arena... the game explicitly tells you about them.
jecht spheres, butterfly yes, lightning, jecht sphere yes.
Chocobo... the trainer is one npc that looks like every other npc on a chocobo in the calm area. Monster Arena is pretty hidden on the map... does this game have a monster encyclopedia thing? Don't remember.

I think only butterfly does it explicitly tell you that its worthwhile to do.

I really feel like they should've put the Dark Aeon stuff in the Farplane instead, or something like that. Ah well. Only one that's a serious obstacle to getting anything is Dark Valefor (outside of, I think, the way Dark Shiva blocks you from going back in to get chests from the fayth room).

Levyne

Banned
You can either kill the boss duder guarding baaj temple for a 50% chance (I believe) for one (Weapon), or kill Wraiths in the Cavern of the Stolen Faith for a much smaller chance (Armor).

One of the monster-collection prizes is 99 Purifying Salts, which customizes it onto armor. Otherwise, you can win a No Encounters weapon from Geosgaeno if you get lucky.

Ah, also good to know

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just got this for the Vita, absolutely stunning. Was worried it would run as badly as the MGS collection

Mendrox

foto4aqiro.png
foto3avcol.png

~80h for FF X & ~80+15 Hours for X-2, perfect game for PSVita

also FFX-2 Last Mission spoiler alert:

those two, from FFX-2 Last Mission kind of looks like
Cocoon from FF XIII
, or?

http://abload.de/img/fsfdsfdsfu0c9w.jpg
http://abload.de/img/dsfdsfdsfdsf0merd.jpg

I really, really enjoyed Last Mission, although with a Lv99 Gun Mage and Triara it's pretty easy,
interesting little story, too!

Yeah did you do a 100% run on FFX-2? If yes, I dont believe you that Gun Mage and Triara are the magical tools for all the other superbosses. Via Infinito is the most annoying place in the history of Final Fantasy it is just stupid. Any tips for Level 80 or rather for Level 100 in advance? Or tipps for Tournament Spoiler
Allmighty Shinra
Cause, I would just get him and annihalte everything in my way. Have 4 teams with level 99 and even mascot ds and max stat as good as I can and even have 11 adamants for defense and everything... but nothing is enough for him. I just dont know anymore. This game has the hardest superbosses in any Final Fantasy ever, and yes I killed the tedious FF12 Superbosses, they were just long - nothing else.

mstevens

Edit: Nevermind. Stat maxing seems to go a lot quicker once STR gets high enough to blast Juggernaut. Things sped up exponentially.

Balphon

Yeah did you do a 100% run on FFX-2? If yes, I dont believe you that Gun Mage and Triara are the magical tools for all the other superbosses. Via Infinito is the most annoying place in the history of Final Fantasy it is just stupid. Any tips for Level 80 or rather for Level 100 in advance? Or tipps for Tournament Spoiler
Allmighty Shinra
Cause, I would just get him and annihalte everything in my way. Have 4 teams with level 99 and even mascot ds and max stat as good as I can and even have 11 adamants for defense and everything... but nothing is enough for him. I just dont know anymore. This game has the hardest superbosses in any Final Fantasy ever, and yes I killed the tedious FF12 Superbosses, they were just long - nothing else.

Fiends are generally much stronger than YRP. By the time I unlocked
Almighty Shinra
, my fiend team could beat him easily. Though they will probably lose to Chac since they won't cure petrify, so you'd be better off stunlocking him to death with 3 hasted thieves.

If you only kill Dark Mindy and then escape, do all 3 sisters respawn? I feel like Dark Mindy might be a better choice to farm for Ribbon armors than Dark Yojimbo is, since (on her own) she's an easier battle and she also has a chance to drop armors that have both Ribbon and Auto-Haste.

God damn Chocobo Catcher.
Played many many races and my best time is 00:3.1. That was 10 balloons and 0 birds.
I have never got more than 10 balloons. Their 'hitboxes' seem so small, I think I'm heading straight for one but often just miss it.

oldmario

i think i've read on gaf some that someone got an asian copy of the game on ps3 and an american (might be european) and they were able to cross save with no problems, does this really work? considering importing FFX-2 since it's available physically in english from asia

Audioboxer

God damn Chocobo Catcher.
Played many many races and my best time is 3:1:00. That was 10 balloons and 0 birds.
I have never got more than 10 balloons. Their 'hitboxes' seem so small, I think I'm heading straight for one but often just miss it.

Yeah you need 12 balloons minimum I think. Pretty sure I managed 13. Ridiculous amount of luck required. Sometimes the balloons cluster a bit on the last stretch, that happened to me and the chocobo luckily managed to steamroll through them accurately enough to pickup a few.

Top Bottom