• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Squire

Banned
Yes. I had a little trouble with some input lag. Just have to press a little earlier.

Glad to hear that's not just me. Playing the game with my DS4 and I've botched that move twice so far.

Yeah, I really enjoyed this scene when he arrived at Besaid Village for the first time.

Right off the bat he establishes that he's an atheist and has never prayed in his life. Then he keeps quiet about that and lets Wakka show him the "prayer" which he says to himself is just the blitzball victory pose from 1,000 years ago. So he's basically thinking to himself that their entire religion is a joke, but just keeps that quiet because he picked up from Rikku that people do not want to hear that. Awesome little scene for establishing his character and how he views the world, but hides it.

Ummm, I think you're reading into that scene a little too much.
Doesn't pray/has never prayed != atheist. There's also nothing suggesting he thinks it's a joke. On the contrary, I'd say based in his reaction inside the temple at Besaid and in particular to seeing a sending for the first time at Kilika he doesn't think any aspect of Spira's culture is particularly funny.

Levyne

Banned
Sucks that Keepa is probably the worst Auroch and he's the goalie. Letty has a pretty great passing stat for the game, found him handling the ball a lot.

XJF

It doesn't help that the mandatory game vs. the Goers (which comes right after) is really difficult since you don't yet have the chance to recruit any players. Once you sign good people (and learn/abuse the more game-breaking abilites), Blitz becomes a lot easier.
I know, but between Blitz and the 200 lightning bolts, I just really dread some parts of this game.
Glad to hear that's not just me. Playing the game with my DS4 and I've botched that move twice so far.

I'm experiencing it with standard PS3 controller. As much as I love the feel of my DS4, I can't stand having it wired

Stop laughung, Yuna! Shut your whore mouth!

Meowster

Yeah, I really enjoyed this scene when he arrived at Besaid Village for the first time.

Right off the bat he establishes that he's an atheist and has never prayed in his life. Then he keeps quiet about that and lets Wakka show him the "prayer" which he says to himself is just the blitzball victory pose from 1,000 years ago. So he's basically thinking to himself that their entire religion is a joke, but just keeps that quiet because he picked up from Rikku that people do not want to hear that. Awesome little scene for establishing his character and how he views the world, but hides it.
People judge Tidus by James Arnold Taylor's occasional grating voice (I really do not think it is that bad). He's a really sweet kid that just wants to help people and doesn't really have any kind of ulterior motive. Yeah, he can be a bit of a tool at times, but he's a good character and has a lot going on that isn't always visible.

pariah164

People judge Tidus by James Arnold Taylor's occasional grating voice (I really do not think it is that bad). He's a really sweet kid that just wants to help people and doesn't really have any kind of ulterior motive. Yeah, he can be a bit of a tool at times, but he's a good character and has a lot going on that isn't always visible.
He's better than Squall at any rate.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I have to say, I really like Tidus. Everyone always says he's stupid, and I hadn't played this for a long time so I was curious what I would think, but I never thought of him that way before at all.

He basically instantly adapts to his entire world being destroyed without throwing a fit at all. Instantly realizes that zanarkand is gone and starts hiding what he's truly thinking, saying he's not from there and he's possibly 1,000 years in the future, but doesn't even let it phase him really. And he's just happy he even found people who still play blitzball, despite the fact that they suck and everything he knows is gone. One thing I really enjoy about his character is that they have scenes where it says what he's thinking to himself, and it's always more calculated than what he's saying to everyone outwardly, so he's just basically putting on a show.

I definitely prefer Tidus over Cecil, Bartz, Terra, Cloud, Squall, Zidane, and Vaan.

Well, he's not throwing a fit is because he, like, fell in love with Yuna at the 1st sight, hahaha.

I ended up buying the Vita version. As much as I would like to play it on PS3, my backlog on that is already too big. It's been so long since I played the game though, it's going to be exciting to play it all again.

Flandy

Closeup of the boss looks good
13259585974_8a3e259505_b.jpg

Fucking Wakka. Just look at that grin on his face. He know what up
13259225125_d0e9d768a6_b.jpg

Shtay away from the Shummoner
13259588084_3b357c7d8c_b.jpg

I've finally encountered my first entirely unaltered music track in this remaster. It's the Cloister of Trials theme.

I think JAT is an okay voice actor, this happens to just be one of his weaker roles. I like his Yggdrasil from ToS.

To be completely fair to him, the way voice work was recorded for FFX was entirely in opposition to getting good performances out of people. People forget now that it was Squaresoft's very first voice acted game. Considering the circumstances, the voice work in FFX turned out a lot better than it could have.

And yes, Tidus intentionally sounds more whiny at the start. His narration from the beginning uses his 'mature' voice but his in-game voice is the 'whiny' one which gradually becomes the 'mature' one over the course of the game to reflect his character's growth. Yeah, I don't understand the reasoning for this either as it's laid on way too thick. The JP voice of Tidus is mostly the same from start of game until end.

I like Hedy Burress just fine but I'll never understand why she was cast as Yuna. What part of Yuna said 'raspy' to Squaresoft when they were casting the EN voice actors? Her JP voice actress is anything but raspy.

Flandy

I've finally encountered my first entirely unaltered music track in this remaster. It's the Cloister of Trials theme.

To be completely fair to him, the way voice work was recorded for FFX was entirely in opposition to getting good performances out of people. People forget now that it was Squaresoft's very first voice acted game. Considering the circumstances, the voice work in FFX turned out a lot better than it could have.

How was it recorded?

Meowster

How was it recorded?
They had to match the lip-sync of the Japanese voice actors and sped things up so they would match. Things like "yunabymyside" are a result of this. Yuna's awkward pauses were a result of this too.

Hedy was a really great Yuna though. She made me love that character.

Zetta

How can anyone hate Tidus when Vaan exists. Tidus is a great character although a bit annoying at times. I hoped there was the japanese audio in this but sadly there is none. Still enjoying the hell out of this, can't wait to get
Brother
for Blitzball.

Levyne

Banned
Anyone crazy like me and wants to get into Blitz quickly after Luca, Wedge is a quick upgrade at forward (one of the stadium guards) and Jumal is a much better goalie (near the obelisk and flags)

Teknoman

HDTV is the problem. There's pretty much so input lag on the Vita. Dat OLED screen yo

Not to go further off topic...but if the game was remastered for HD, shouldnt there not be any input lag? I mean its made with HD displays in mind. I can understand a PS2 game being played on an HDTV maybe having a slight bit of lag, but even with Gitaroo Man, i'm spot on when playing via component on an HDTV.

Squire

Banned
They had to match the lip-sync of the Japanese voice actors and sped things up so they would match. Things like "yunabymyside" are a result of this. Yuna's awkward pauses were a result of this too.

Hedy was a really great Yuna though. She made me love that character.

She really is. I'm glad they make an effort to keep bringing her back when they need to. Wouldn't wanna hear anyone else as Yuna.

pariah164

Yeah, FFX had epic craptons of story to get through. Plus, the acting isn't too bad at all. Auron's voice is amazing, Rikku is voiced almost perfectly, and Tidus, well... (MASSIVE plot spoiler)
When he reacts to Jecht actually being Sin, his anger, disbelief and frustration are all really believable. He sells it, even if his character model doesn't.

Voror

Flipping through the little art book, there really are some interesting designs and pieces of art of the world of Spira. Never really noticed before, but then it has been about 10 years since I last played this.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, FFX had epic craptons of story to get through. Plus, the acting isn't too bad at all. Auron's voice is amazing, Rikku is voiced almost perfectly, and Tidus, well... (MASSIVE plot spoiler)
When he reacts to Jecht actually being Sin, his anger, disbelief and frustration are all really believable. He sells it, even if his character model doesn't.

^This. I think the voice track is really genuinely great, especially considering the conditions and the time.

I love how a lot of the optional dialogue is voiced, too. You get something basically every time the party is standing around somewhere. It's great.

Meowster

Very true. Just played through that part.

Yuna's final monologue before the last boss in X-2 is amazing though.

pariah164

I know this has been asked before, but I'm lazy: Ability spheres, how do I get more? I'm about to enter Mihen Highroad and I'm running short.

That could be it. I wasn't noticing any irregularities with region codes, and I'll be able to test more tonight and maybe with a European version tomorrow. Will let you know.

Thanks for looking into it! What's also interesting is that the trophies are cross-region. I wasn't awarded the Al-Behd Primer trophy when I picked the first one up in the NA version since I got it in the JP version two months ago.

Playing the PS3 version with a DS3. Strange it has input lag......

I ran into that problem trying to do Tidus's Overdrive. I know it's 30fps but I still have to press the button before the meter thing gets to the sweet spot if I want it to work. I haven't played FFX on PS2 in at least 7 years, so I don't remember if there was any input lag in the original game or not.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Never played FFX.

Is it a more light-hearted story, or is it more serious? Just curious... might grab the Vita version tomorrow.

I dig the LE packaging, glad I preordered. I never beat FFX back in the day because I foolishly let a friend borrow my memory card and his PS2 got stolen, I was pretty far into the game so I refused to restart. However now that it has been remaster (and it's been ages since I played it and I hardly remember it) I look forward to giving it another go!

ZeroX03

Banned
Never played FFX.

Is it a more light-hearted story, or is it more serious? Just curious... might grab the Vita version tomorrow.

It's pretty a decent mix between the two, but it tends to lean a little more on the serious side (especially later) than cheerful. X-2 is pretty goofy though, it's a very light-hearted game.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Both lighthearted and serious. I'd personally call it a bittersweet journey.

X-2 is very cheerful though.

I'll take that... similar to FFIX, then (the only FF I've beat and one of my favorite games of all time)?

Meowster

I've always loved how X-2 had such a comedic and silly tone but some of the topics and motifs it covered were very, very dark. Some moreso than the original.

NateDrake

I ran into that problem trying to do Tidus's Overdrive. I know it's 30fps but I still have to press the button before the meter thing gets to the sweet spot if I want it to work. I haven't played FFX on PS2 in at least 7 years, so I don't remember if there was any input lag in the original game or not.

I don't remember any lag in the original game. But I thought I was hitting the wrong button or something. Guess I'll tap X a lil before the meter to get the sweet spot.

HeelPower

LOL @ Tidus starting a bonfire at the submerged ruins.

After all these hours playing dark souls last week.....

Never played FFX.

The main character is hilarious and goofy..Just replaying this reconfirms that lol

It does have serious moments but I think it has just as much silliness xD

2 hours in. First impressions (Vita):

Going through menu in battle feels like there is a bit of a delay to my button commands. Anyone else feel that too?

Tidus face looked awful by comparison to old. But now that I'm playing? I hardly notice.

Is music mixing a bit loud? I have nice headphones, but music. seems to overpower dialogue at times.

That opening...
the final moment when you're pulled into Sin still sends shivers down spine.
This game will always be better than I remember.

The only drawback to an old game like this? Bad audio sync bugs me even more now. I'd rather their lips didnt move than to watch how far off they are from their spoken words. But I guess it would take too long to reanimate for english. Not just that though...people's footsteps not matching when they step drives me crazy too. I'm a little anal like that.

Some of these new high-res models are amazing. Just met Wakka. Is it odd how focused I am on his great skin and back muscle? His overall texture is gorgeous.

Never played FFX.

FFX is one of the few Final Fantasys to tug this man's heartstrings. Only other one is FF7. It takes a lot to rival the emotion of Nanaki howling at the staue of his father at Cosmo Canyon.

ohlawd

wat dressphere points aren't universal or whatever?

like Paine with her sword costume is at 9% while the others are at 6%. and I have to decide what skills to prioritize maaaaaaan

Top Bottom