• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

The CGs still hold up remarkably well, more than a decade later. The quality of game CGs hasn't really improved much over the past decade unless you happen to be FFXIII.

This game unfortunately has the problem where Squenix didn't anticipate anybody actually using RGB Full Range. The game engine itself obeys Full Range correctly but the internal cutscene player does not, causing the CGs to wash out unless the PS3 and TV are set to Limited. Coming from Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, both of which properly playback their CGs even in Full Range, this oversight is disappointing.

ZeroX03

Banned
So many great memories! :)

nV8J9sI.jpg

Looks way better on the Vita too.

Beautiful!

I did it the other way, finished blitzball as soon as possible to get Wakkas ultimate weapon.

played 3 times through FF X on ps2 and never heard of the "hide-behind-goal"-trick >.< might use it in the Vita version, although Blitzball is really fun

Yeah I do the same thing, but I never found Blitzball tough, lol.

Okay, preordered, already put over 200 hours into it back in the day, but this urge to play it again is so strong.

Does anyone know if there are missable trophies? I guess you have to look out for getting Anima, as I missed him in my both playthroughs in the past. Are there any other things I have to look out for?

Is there a trophy for Blitzball? And do I need Wakas Solaris Weapon for one trophy as this would as well end up with me playing Blitzball, which I hate.

ZeroX03

Banned
Does anyone know if there are missable trophies? I guess you have to look out for getting Anima, as I missed him in my both playthroughs in the past. Are there any other things I have to look out for?

Anima is not missable, but as it's the international edition going back to the spheres is hard as a few are blocked by Dark Aeons. Other than, just grab the Al Bhed Primers (especially at home), that's the only potentially missable trophy.

Is there a trophy for Blitzball? And do I need Wakas Solaris Weapon for one trophy as this would as well end up with me playing Blitzball, which I hate.

You need to unlock all of Wakka's slot wheels, so a decent amount of Blitz is required.

jaxword

A question, this game seems really linear. Isn't that why most people hated ffxiii?

You should know by now that every new FF is the WORST FINAL FANTASY EVER.

When FFXV comes out, it will be declared the end of Square-Enix, it's the worst FF, it's not the same as my favorite 4/6/7, I'm done with this series, etc.

Anima is not missable, but as it's the international edition going back to the spheres is hard as a few are blocked by Dark Aeons. Other than, just grab the Al Bhed Primers (especially at home), that's the only potentially missable trophy.

Now I remember being stuck at the Horse?-Like Dark Aeon where I tried to get Anima on my second playthrough. Thanks for the hint!

You need to unlock all of Wakka's slot wheels, so a decent amount of Blitz is required.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Is there a trick to the game? Tried so many times in the past, but sucked every time in it.

ZeroX03

Banned
A question, this game seems really linear. Isn't that why most people hated ffxiii?

Linear is just one of the reason people hate XIII; the story, characters, handholding and lack of cities are all a big part of it. All Final Fantasy games are linear in the sense that they're point A -> point B, the others just had world maps to hide it.

X also has a strong side content (especially international edition) which XIII lacks compared to most other FF games. Linear is easier to bear when you've got challenges and mini games along the way.

Now I remember being stuck at the Horse?-Like Dark Aeon where I tried to get Anima on my second playthrough. Thanks for the hint!

If you follow this guide while doing the cloisters, you'll do everything right so you won't have to revisit the trials and be blocked by Dark Aeons. That guide should cover you for all the trophies really.

Sioen

Linear is just one of the reason people hate XIII; the story, characters, handholding and lack of cities are all a big part of it. All Final Fantasy games are linear in the sense that they're point A -> point B, the others just had world maps to hide it.

X also has a strong side content (especially international edition) which XIII lacks compared to most other FF games. Linear is easier to bear when you've got challenges and mini games along the way.
Does this have actual cities? Might get it for my vita..

Jubern

The Al Bhed team early on is pretty tough, Nimrook is a fantastic goalie. And Wedge with basic shot skills is already rivaling Tidus in terms of goals scored.

I seem to remember Al Bhed Psyches players having a very good growth too. My brother was a huuuuuuge Blitzball fan and played the hell out of it, it reminded him of the SFC Captain Tsubasa games lol

Anyway, he was playing a lot of Blitz and the Psyches were the bane of his existence, growing stronger and stronger as seasons went by and everyone leveled up. He was so focused on the game that he was always forgetting to recruit the Al-Bhed players to weaken then (the goalie was especially infuriating), which led to a few controllers being thrown against the wall.

Teknoman

Somewhat. They're still mostly smaller town like locales, certainly better and feel like actual towns more so than XIII.

I still dont like that it doesnt have an actual world map or that the airship travel is just a set of menus, but I can deal since the combat system is great (X-2 is even better as an evolution of ATB, but X isnt too shabby at all, with the ability to switch party members mid-fight), the story actually moves at a steady pace and makes sense, and the rest of your party is controllable.

ZeroX03

Banned

Yes! Lots of nice looking cities and towns. Still linear (it opens up near the end), but you get to rest and explore cities. X-2 is a lot more open, there's some story branching and you get to explore where you want early on.

Definitely pick it up for Vita.

RaikuHebi

Banned
RaikuHebi: just confirmed with the Australian/NZ distributor: separate artbook and case! This should be the same for Europe!

EDIT: They're telling me it will be the same for Europe. 52 pages.

Excellent, thanks for finding out!

Now I gotta hope the GAME I pre-ordered from stocks a copy. When I pre-ordered a few weeks back only the normal was on their system. Hopefully it's a case of those that pre-order get the Limited Edition or something.

Now my finally ponder will be, are all 3 artbooks (Europe LE, American LE and American CE) the same apart from dimensions?

Found this unboxing of the EU Limited Edition.

It does come with a game case and artbook (separated). Pretty nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjbB70r2bU

Brilliant, thanks for sharing.

Love that they didn't fix the fact that you can walk around during this cutscene on the boat when you leave Besaid :lol
13260610774_2c2a864af4_b.jpg

13260396643_f435d693a9_b.jpg

Cool I didn't know that!

Arthea

2 more days to wait for me.
For those choosing between expert and regular grid, keep in mind that expert grid gives you freedom, but also it has less nodes than standard grid, unless they changed that.

Arthea

Darkies are toughest bosses that I know of. It's a pity, that experience of meeting them for the first time without having idea what it is, can't be repeated, it's priceless (><)
Don't overlevel for them, what most people do, you'll kill all fun.

plake

Oh man, I don't have the time to play this huge game at the moment but man am I HYPED. I should just stop looking in this thread. It looks soooooo good. Also having troubles deciding on the portability of the vita ver or the big screen and 60 fps of the ps3 ver. By the way, what fps is the vita ver running at?

Saphirax

Oh man, I don't have the time to play this huge game at the moment but man am I HYPED. I should just stop looking in this thread. It looks soooooo good. Also having troubles deciding on the portability of the vita ver or the big screen and 60 fps of the ps3 ver. By the way, what fps is the vita ver running at?

I thought both versions ran at 30 fps?

Synless

Some of the textures are crazy good, almost jarring compared to the rest of the game (PS3). There is a scene on the boat when your on your way to Killika where the mast of the boat is sporting insane textures for the wood.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Some of the textures are crazy good, almost jarring compared to the rest of the game (PS3). There is a scene on the boat when your on your way to Killika where the mast of the boat is sporting insane textures for the wood.

Without a doubt the game is up there as one of the best looking games of the PS3 generation.

HeelPower

Finished Besaid and about to go through the kilika woods.

I almost teared up when Yunie said she could become a high summoner.

As everyone said it looks stunning and plays so well.

Besaid and Kilika are gorgeous villages.

There is more exploration than I remember in the game.I mean I think discovered some stuff on the ship from Besaid to Kilika that I haven't seen before.I think because I can see so much more on the screen than in my PS2 days.

Lovely game and I can't wait to try X-2.

This might really be
GOTG :v

Darkone

This HD remake makes me in need for FF XII, hope they will announce it and that it wont take them 2 1/2 years like this one to release.

The CGs still hold up remarkably well, more than a decade later. The quality of game CGs hasn't really improved much over the past decade unless you happen to be FFXIII.

This game unfortunately has the problem where Squenix didn't anticipate anybody actually using RGB Full Range. The game engine itself obeys Full Range correctly but the internal cutscene player does not, causing the CGs to wash out unless the PS3 and TV are set to Limited. Coming from Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, both of which properly playback their CGs even in Full Range, this oversight is disappointing.
Just to clarify you mean cg's during normal game progression, not whilst watching them through the theater in Luca? What sort of TV do you have?

HeelPower

The game has towns, explorable interiors, more varied map layout, npcs to talk to and can actually reward you for looking closely for hidden items.There are also puzzle filled temples that are pretty fun.

The areas never drag either.They are extremely well paced imo.

ViciousDS

Banned
Picked mine up and the strat guide last night, strat guide is exactly what I remember and I'm amazed at how they condensed it for two games and still kept all the information there. Can't wait to finally touch this later today when I get home

RaikuHebi

Banned

Apart from the lack of a World Map, this is just as linear as FFVII.

On the subject of X VS XIII linearity, look at the environment designs and camera angles of X. So much more detail and craft than the free floating and bland environments in XIII.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Don`t think they will do an HD remaster to type-0 if it didn't been localized until now.

I think it's the other way round. It's more likely they will do a HD remaster for Vita considering they haven't localised it until now.

We only have to wait till August for the fan translation anyway.

i noticed those too, very well done. but some are just plain ugly, mostly the NPC's that get close to the camera positions. it's such a stark contrast when you have the redone main cast standing right in front of them.

Would you describe this game on the OLED screen as orgasmic?

Really want to get this game but not sure if I have the time right now and might wait for a sale to get a cheaper price. :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Would you describe this game on the OLED screen as orgasmic?

Really want to get this game but not sure if I have the time right now and might wait for a sale to get a cheaper price. :(
No, that's a really gross word to use when talking about a portable display.

Darkone

I think it's the other way round. It's more likely they will do a HD remaster for Vita considering they haven't localised it until now.

We only have to wait till August for the fan translation anyway.

Yeah, but unless you have the TN-V CFW it will be only playable on PSP which i don`t see me playing on that awful screen after playing on the OLED.

Holmes

Just a heads up, people waiting to import the English R3 Vita versions from Play-Asia, they've updated the audio and text to say English in the descriptions, and they've removed the back cover of the games (that seemed to say Japanese audio and text).

Does anyone know of another website that is selling them? Couldn't hurt to price check, I don't know many Asian game import sites.

Olli128

Finished Persona 4 last night, just in time for my next 100+ hour rpg coming tomorrow! Most excited I've been about a game since Skyrim and it's a remake, kind of sad :\
Hopefully this sells well enough that FF12 HD gets announced for PS4/PS3/Vita

ZeroX03

Banned
Re: cross region cross save. I tested, and it seems the game language does determine the region. BLJP changed to BLUS when I changed the language to English. No European copy so I can't tell what'll happen with those. So theoretically you can get cross region to work, but it requires patching the PS3 version (maybe save hacking), so for most people it's not really an option.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I only played the first bit where Tidus meets Auron and gets blown away (forgot how stilted the dialogue was. This was the first FF with VA after all). You can tell its PS2 assets but everything is so crisp and colorful, it really looks great.

Hope it sells well so we get FFXII remastered too.

Top Bottom