• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

RaikuHebi

Banned
UK friends, I need some reassurance.

I pre-ordered FFX from my local GAME a few weeks ago. They said the LE wasn't coming up on their system so they put me down for a normal.

Now I'm hoping that pre-order is upgradeable or I will be cross.

I just popped into the other GAME near me and asked them to check their stockroom. They have LE copies and they found it on their system but all were pre-ordered. They said I can have any spare LEs if they aren't picked up by Sunday.

So like am I fucked? If my local doesn't have it I'm gonna try and argue for a half price on the Vita version. Otherwise hope I can get a leftover one on Sunday from the other store.

I would've done it online but the bastards don't accept giftcard for pre-order payments!

onionfrog

I'm looking forward to it, I'm having a blast with X.

And here I was, not understanding the appeal of the series, when playing XIII. I'm glad I get to play this game.
Did you start with XIII? 0_0
That's like the first Mario game you play being Mario is Missing!

I'll warn you now, the storyline in X-2 is complete shit. However, the atb battle system with the ability to change jobs(dress spheres) is nothing short of amazing.

Ignore the 'story' and play X-2 for its gameplay.

Flandy

UK friends, I need some reassurance.

I pre-ordered FFX from my local GAME a few weeks ago. They said the LE wasn't coming up on their system so they put me down for a normal.

Now I'm hoping that pre-order is upgradeable or I will be cross.

I just popped into the other GAME near me and asked them to check their stockroom. They have LE copies and they found it on their system but all were pre-ordered. They said I can have any spare LEs if they aren't picked up by Sunday.

So like am I fucked? If my local doesn't have it I'm gonna try and argue for a half price on the Vita version. Otherwise hope I can get a leftover one on Sunday from the other store.

I would've done it online but the bastards don't accept giftcard for pre-order payments!
Why in the world would they give half price on the Vita version?

So how's everyone handling leveling this time around? A decade ago I did the whole "switch everyone in to get a single hit before the end of a fight every fight" so everyone kept up with everyone. But I don't know if I have the same patience for that, and already I feel like Yuna and Kamari are slowly getting left behind.

Yeah, she's certainly missing some emotion.

I always rotate people out based on AP. When a character gets 5 S.LV, I upgrade them and rotate in the next party member.

Lulu is the exception, I keep her in all the time up until she has Level 2 magic because she can kill anything. When Yuna is in, I summon every turn to get her out of the rotation as quickly as possible until she gets Pray.

If necessary, I will rotate people in mid battle but it's rarely necessary.

It's amazing how all my old complaints about these games seem to fall away in the face of how fucking gorgeous everything looks in these remasters. I am honestly shocked. Sure, there's some weirdness here and there (sometimes the doll eyes creep me out,) but it just goes to show how good art direction can carry a game through generational leaps. Lightning Returns got nothing on these babies.

If only SquareEnix would bother showing the same respect for the original material with the remasters of older games instead of pushing out those abominations like FFV and FFVI for smartphones. Makes me wonder how far a decent "HD Remaster" could take the PSOne games. Redraw the backgrounds, update the 3D models just sightly, and improve the sound, all the while remaining true to the spirit of the originals and we won't even need a remake.

Yeah, they're not going to give you a discount on something just because you forgot or didn't want to pre-order an LE. Pre-order next time.

He did want to pre-order an LE. They couldn't find the LE in their system so he pre-ordered the normal version. He still won't get half price though (since that's more than their profit margin) but he might get a discount.

Audette

People here have said that Rikku's
eyes lost their distinctive crazy swirls. They are actually still there, they've just darkened the iris.
Just picked her up myself. I'm flying through this game though. Yikes.

only during the intro
image.jpg

Panthers

OK, I just watched the video on Squares site about the collectors edition, and she pronounced Tidus as 'Teedus'

Is this right? Please tell me its not. I mean I always said 'Tie-dus' like an ocean tide. It sounded better and made more sense.

I know it seems late, but I have never heard his name pronounced I guess. Still I hate 'Teedus'

Flandy

As an apology.

So you knowingly pre ordered a Normal Edition and expect a Vita version for 50% off? lolok

Wtf I went in to pre-order one and they incompetently couldn't find it on their system. So they did me a normal pre-order in the faith that they'll sell me the LE on the day.

Fucking hell. Everything on GAF is the customer's fault.

You pre ordered it a few weeks ago. You had more than enough time to order it else where

Meowster

OK, I just watched the video on Squares site about the collectors edition, and she pronounced Tidus as 'Teedus'

Is this right? Please tell me its not. I mean I always said 'Tie-dus' like an ocean tide. It sounded better and made more sense.

I know it seems late, but I have never heard his name pronounced I guess. Still I hate 'Teedus'
They are right but trust me, they are still wrong. Since Selphie said it in KH2, I will always accept Tie-dus as canon.

RaikuHebi

Banned
So you knowingly pre ordered a Normal Edition and expect a Vita version for 50% off? lolok

You pre ordered it a few weeks ago. You had more than enough time to order it else where
What? They told me they'd have the LE and I should pre-order the normal. How is this my fault?

Panthers

They are right but trust me, they are still wrong. Since Selphie said it in KH2, I will always accept Tie-dus as canon.

OK good. I about lost it when I heard that. I guess since this game is so special to me, I cant have the main character being called Teedus haha.

Its kind of like when you have been singing a song for so long only to find you have been singing it wrong.

I looked in several stores today and none of them have the vita version :(. Should I go digital? I have the 16gb memory card, but I'm not a huge fan of buying digital but i really wanna play tonight.

Ghazi

Did you start with XIII? 0_0
That's like the first Mario game you play being Mario is Missing!

I'll warn you now, the storyline in X-2 is complete shit. However, the atb battle system with the ability to change jobs(dress spheres) is nothing short of amazing.

Ignore the 'story' and play X-2 for its gameplay.

Yeah, XIII was my first. But, it was the most recent one at the time so it was what I started with. I've heard the battle system was the main appeal in X2, XIII had the ATB so I'm hoping it's a better incarnation here, I didn't have any problems with the battle system in XIII though, so I'm sure it'll be fun.

This is like the month of RPGs for me: FFX/X2 HD, Bravely Default (hopefully soon), Dark Souls 2. Good stuff!

Faenix1

Preordered this before there was a bonus, and I got "upgraded" to the limited edition.

I can't be bothered to going through the hassle of sending it back, since it was online, does anyone happen to have a Hi-Res scan of the Full Cover? I'm just gonna put it in a spare PS3 case and hopefully print out the cover.

bobawesome

I hated Teedus when I first heard it pronounced that way years ago but anything else seems wrong now. Shhhhhh...let it wash over you.

jaxword

I'm pretty sure it was pronounced "Teedus" when X first came out. Maybe that has changed.

It's always been Teedus. Maybe it even was pronounced that way by early fans and magazine leaks. But then a lot of English fandom spread the Tie-Dus pronunciation, and coupled with the slightly distorted idea that it's element-based, you can see the logic of fans going "Oh, it's Tide related, that fits with the usual FF naming scheme."

It wasn't until recently we got official English media like Dissidia that clarified it.

I call him Tie-dus too, just call him what you like.

Flandy

I use both Tee Dus and Tie Dus. What's wrong with me ;__;

What? They told me they'd have the LE and I should pre-order the normal. How is this my fault?

You kinda left that out earlier. Still though. You preordered the normal edition and should have expected that.

mut321

Neo Member
I know remember smashing a ps2 controller when playing X-2 back in the day because I kept getting into random battles every 2 steps while trying to simply walk to a temple. Youth.

_woLf

Man, I forgot how bad the animations were in this game. I thought they would update those.

Love the new look though, except for Tidus. His face and how bright his eyes are just looks wayyyyy too kingdom heart like to me.

Sean*O

OK good. I about lost it when I heard that. I guess since this game is so special to me, I cant have the main character being called Teedus haha.

Its kind of like when you have been singing a song for so long only to find you have been singing it wrong.

I refuse to accept "Teed-us" I always read it as "Tide-us" which made sense to me considering the whole water theme, water sword on the cover art, etc.

Teedus just sounds weak, not a strong name at all.

Audette

I also say Tie-Dus, because I associate him with the water/tide. I mean that's such a prevalent theme in the game.
I noticed though, people have said Tida = Okinawan word for sun, pronounced Tee-Da, It's the base of his name, so now I figure I'm doing it wrong.
I'm not going to stop though, I figure both are acceptable. Many words are not pronounced the same across language barriers, but it helps to know there is a justified reason people say Tee-Dus.

havne't seen many coverage of ffx-2 hd. how are the character models? I heard the music is the exact same?

Does it have the quick heal menus too?

(dl got stuck, mgrgrgrgr)

McNum

So, this is a bit of a spoiler, but since this will be a lot of US players' first time playing the International version of the game, I'd like to give out a quick tip or two. Only read this if you already beat the standard Final Fantasy X as it'll be quite spoilerish.

1. (Mid-game)
When you reach the Calm Lands, head back to Besaid to get the Jecht Spehere immediately. Do not wait until you get the airship as accessing Besaid will be... difficult after that.
2. (Late-game)
After defeating Yunalesca, remember to go down the stairs in the background to get the Sun... something for Tidus' Celestial Weapon. Trying to do so after that fight will also be... difficult. Only much more so than entering Besaid.

As you can probably guess, the reason for this is
that each area will be guarded by a Dark Aeon. Dark Valefor, who is not too bad to fight, and Dark Bahamut who... is.
So do yourself a favor and do this right the first time.

sqwarlock

So, this is a bit of a spoiler, but since this will be a lot of US players' first time playing the International version of the game, I'd like to give out a quick tip or two. Only read this if you already beat the standard Final Fantasy X as it'll be quite spoilerish.

1. (Mid-game)
When you reach the Calm Lands, head back to Besaid to get the Jecht Spehere immediately. Do not wait until you get the airship as accessing Besaid will be... difficult after that.
2. (Late-game)
After defeating Yunalesca, remember to go down the stairs in the background to get the Sun... something for Tidus' Celestial Weapon. Trying to do so after that fight will also be... difficult. Only much more so than entering Besaid.

that each area will be guarded by a Dark Aeon. Dark Valefor, who is not too bad to fight, and Dark Bahamut who... is.

Having never paid attention to the international changes, thank you for posting this.

1. (Mid-game)
2. (Late-game)

Damn I ran into exactly those two problems years ago, thank god for Zanmatou! :D

Top Bottom