• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Holmes

Fuck it. Tried to beat the Goers twice, even went into double overtime, and no. They have to cheese me everytime. And screw the Jecht Shot for only being able to equip it for 3 minutes of a whole 10 minute match. I hope you feel bad for losing Wakka, cause the sport sucks.

Korezo

FF12 HD International for PS4 plz

1080p/fps

I can dream

I wish!

h3oGqWC.jpg

We have been waiting for like 2 years already, the PS4 is out. They really couldn't wait any longer.

Besides, I like it the way it is. It doesn't need FF13 graphics. I do wish they would have allowed for skipping of tutorials though.

its not so much the graphics that are bad, its just that because they just re-textured everything, a lot of the stuff looks really......flat

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
pretty sure this has more time and effort put into it than WWHD which was just a quick 6 month port job ;)
This should have been a 6 month port job. It's only because of SE's incompetence (lost assets, assigning what must be 3 interns to do the job
half joking
, etc) that it took as long to remaster as it did to develop the game in the first place.

But there's no point in hoping for what could have been. What we got was good enough. I'm more than happy with my purchase.

Meowster

At least he's the guy you're supposed to hate
Hah. Yeah. I suppose.. it's hard because he's a really fascinating character that has a very sad backstory
with his mom and Anima
and quite like his whole subplot. It's always been difficult for me to take him seriously with that voice though.

Someone keep me from grinding please. I can't stop.

Bladelaw

I started playing and made it to Kilika before stopping. I kept saying to my wife how much better than XIII this is. The turn based battle system, sphere grid levelling, and a cast of characters I don't actively hate make this a much better game. Not to mention the music. I was listening to the OST over the last week to get myself hyped for this and so I'd be in a better place comparing tracks and I'm realy enjoying the new soundtrack. It's enough of the old to bring back memories while new enough that I can associate this playthrough with it.

I never played XII but if they do make it and it's as quality as this remake I'm all in.

I started playing and made it to Kilika before stopping. I kept saying to my wife ow much better than XIII this is. The turn based battle system, sphere grid levelling, and a cast of characters I don't actively hate make this a much better game. Not to mention the music. I was listening to the OST over the last week to get myself hyped for this and so I'd be in a better place comparing tracks and I'm realy enjoying the new soundtrack. It's enough of the old to bring back memories while new enough that I can associate this playthrough with it.

I never played XII but if they do make it and it's as quality as this remake I'm all in.

Never played XII?! Such a fantastic game you should definitely try playing at some point.

Past

Man, the gameplay seems slower than I remembered. Especially when you fight underwater. That's what I get for playing modern JRPGs.

Bladelaw

Never played XII?! Such a fantastic game you should definitely try playing at some point.

I actually have it still sealed for PS2 (Greatest Hits version), but I got a PS3 shortly after and never got around to it. The gambit system and MMO-like combat initially put me off it. Given all the praise I've seen for it though it's something I should get to eventually.

I'm pretty impressed with this HD remaster so far. Well other than the load times, which really shouldn't be this long, especially running off a HDD.

Aeana

"What's she smiling about?"

Game shows no smile on Yuna's face. I feel like the new models are way less expressive outside of the closeup cutscenes.

pretty sure this has more time and effort put into it than WWHD which was just a quick 6 month port job ;)

feel free to disagree with me on this, but both games came out in the same generation, about 1.5 years apart i think. when they came out, they both looked fantastic for their time, but when comparing to the HD versions, i do not think the FFX one is too big of an improvement. it still looks kinda dated to me. whether it took more time and effort to make what i consider a sub-optimal HD remake.

also i consider FFX one of my favorite RPG's of all time, so that could be why i am kinda dissapointed about it because i was literally waiting on selling my PS3 to get this, but now i dont feel the need to get it because it feels like it may have been rushed to get it out into the wild.

P.S. im not trying to "start a console war" or anything, this is just my observation.

CarJeter

Neo Member
"What's she smiling about?"

Game shows no smile on Yuna's face. I feel like the new models are way less expressive outside of the closeup cutscenes.

You are talking about the scene in Kilika temple? After you met Dona?

This has nothing to do with the newer models being less expressive, the PS2 model looked exactly the same.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I haven't opened them yet. Don't know if I will. First thing is, the CE's artbook is bigger in size (same size as the guide), and it has 40 pages, as opposed to the LE's 24 pages artbook. I don't know if some of the images are the same though. Maybe someone here knows?

The European LE artbook is 52 pages!

Lothar

Banned
I have to say, I really like Tidus. Everyone always says he's stupid, and I hadn't played this for a long time so I was curious what I would think, but I never thought of him that way before at all.

He basically instantly adapts to his entire world being destroyed without throwing a fit at all. Instantly realizes that zanarkand is gone and starts hiding what he's truly thinking, saying he's not from there and he's possibly 1,000 years in the future, but doesn't even let it phase him really. And he's just happy he even found people who still play blitzball, despite the fact that they suck and everything he knows is gone. One thing I really enjoy about his character is that they have scenes where it says what he's thinking to himself, and it's always more calculated than what he's saying to everyone outwardly, so he's just basically putting on a show.

I definitely prefer Tidus over Cecil, Bartz, Terra, Cloud, Squall, Zidane, and Vaan.

Good post. And of course Tidus only gets better from there. He's definitely a better person than Cloud or Squall and he's a hell of a lot more interesting than Zidane. I remember the first time I played FFX thinking he was the most relatable and it was the most I cared about a JRPG protagonist in a long time.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's kind of stupid how (FFX overall plot, don't read if this is your first time playing and haven't finished)
Literally every mystery in FFX, and every new plot development, is a result of Auron deliberately holding back information from everyone, including the player, for no reason whatsoever. The plot would be nonexistant if he did the logical thing and, you know, revealed everything.

There are no plot twists, only characters divulging information they had no reason to keep secret in the first place

jaxword

It's kind of stupid how (FFX overall plot, don't read if this is your first time playing and haven't finished)
Literally every mystery in FFX, and every new plot development, is a result of Auron deliberately holding back information from everyone, including the player, for no reason whatsoever. The plot would be nonexistant if he did the logical thing and, you know, revealed everything.

There are no plot twists, only characters divulging information they had no reason to keep secret in the first place

Gandalf, Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Matrix Oracle, etc.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I'll be going Vita. As much as I would rather play with with a controller and pretty graphics, I feel that I will be far more likely to play the game on the Vita due to my recent gaming habits.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Gandalf, Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Matrix Oracle, etc.

In each of these examples, there were other plot developments going on. they didn't literally hold back EVERYTHING. There is nothing in FFX that is actually a new and major plot development from what I recall. It's all backstory that was kept secret for no reason.

I read earlier in the year we would be able to use Japanese audio. Where is the option?

I don't think this option exists. A quick search I did turned up this as an answer in response to a question about that feature ("Can international versions play with the Japanese Voice Option?"):

http://projectcrystallis.org/square-enix-members-exclusive-final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster-interview/ said:
We do receive requests like this all the time, but we are sorry we are not able to accommodate this request, we have the Playstation 3 and Vita version, and we want to have them both at the same quality. We would have to consider the capacity of the systems, and any issues of having this on the two platforms, so we are sorry we cannot offer this.

jaxword

plot[/spoiler]

The reasoning is pretty much the same for writing any "mentor" character. If they reveal everything, they ruin the plot at the start.

Almost every "coming of age" story, which FFX definitely is, has the mentor character give information out gradually. Often because they want the student to figure things out on their own.

Pretty common trope.

Jennipeg

In each of these examples, there were other plot developments going on. they didn't literally hold back EVERYTHING. There is nothing in FFX that is actually a new and major plot development from what I recall. It's all backstory that was kept secret for no reason.

I think you are technically right, but....

If Auron had blabbed early on, would the party have ever gone to Zanarkand? They could have just gone F this Yu Yevon crap let's go back to Besaid. I think they and Yuna specifically had to experience and find out these things on thier own, so she would build her resolve to fight Sin anyway. It had to be Yuna's decision, which is why I feel she is the 'real' main character, Tidus is just there in place of the player, although his relationship with Jecht is important too.

Meowster

Regarding the spoiler conversation:
I can only assume that Auron held back on the details regarding the final summoning and Yunalesca because he was afraid Yuna would change her mind or ignore him? Yuna knew most of the information anyway.. although it still seems kind of shitty to me that the entire cast avoids telling Tidus what was going to happen to Yuna just because "oh he's sweet let's not hurt him and let him get attached to Yuna." I mean, in the end, it helped but you would think they would have told him.

Also: just beat Operation Mi'hen and
still gives me chills when you see all of the dead and how you can decide if Luzzu or Gatta dies.

SquareEnix is going to learn the wrong lesson from FFX HDs success.
Don't count on a FFXII HD anytime soon, they have to run FFX into the ground first.

escapist article

A second sequel to Final Fantasy X could happen with enough fan interest, according to Kazushige Nojima, scenario writer for the series. Nojima was recently interviewed for the "Ultimania" companion book, published to commemorate the Japanese release of HD versions of Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2. "If there's enough demand, then we may possibly see new developments," Nojima was quoted as saying. "I would personally like to see a sequel like X-3." The remastered, HD versions of Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 were released earlier this week in Japan for the Vita and PS3, with an American launch set to follow on March 18. A European release is set for March 21.

Since he personally wants to see it that's probably what they'll do, as opposed to what a lot of people want (myself included) which is FFXII HD.

RPGCrazied

Just got to Kilika Port. Might be my TV, but is it just me or do the FMV's look a little washed out? I guess it could be worse, the resolution is good, except for being cropped.

Shahadan

It's a common thing in FFX
Tidus and Yuna also hold back some information for a large part of the game, but they have their reason. Tidus wouldn't be believed, and Yuna...well it's interestingly a huge part of her storyline and character and the fact that she can't/doesn't want to talk about it defines both.
Auron is just plain stupid all around though. Yes it's a mentor but he's also the token dark/mysterious/badass character.
Also it always comes back to Sin as a reason, and I like that.

At least it's not like in a huge number of games where the writing artificially delays revelations using cryptic mumblings and "no, it's nothing" or "it doesn't matter :D" said a hundred of times. God how I hate that.

Jennipeg

SquareEnix is going to learn the wrong lesson from FFX HDs success.
Don't count on a FFXII HD anytime soon, they have to run FFX into the ground first.

escapist article

Since he personally wants to see it that's probably what they'll do, as opposed to what a lot of people want (myself included) which is FFXII HD.

If it has any connection to that awful Audio Drama, I don't want to see it. I'll skip it if that is what happens. I would be all over FF12 HD though.

Ghazi

Finally started the game today, for the first time. Two things:

-Tidus is a baby (he's got the face to match it)

-BRUDDA!

Regarding the spoiler conversation:
I can only assume that Auron held back on the details regarding the final summoning and Yunalesca because he was afraid Yuna would change her mind or ignore him? Yuna knew most of the information anyway.. although it still seems kind of shitty to me that the entire cast avoids telling Tidus what was going to happen to Yuna just because "oh he's sweet let's not hurt him and let him get attached to Yuna." I mean, in the end, it helped but you would think they would have told him.

Also: just beat Operation Mi'hen and
still gives me chills when you see all of the dead and how you can decide if Luzzu or Gatta dies.

I think that Auron only held back information because he knew that Yuna would have to come to her own conclusions. If he had told her everything would she have made the journey? Or would she dismiss it?

How do they come away thinking people want FFX-3 and not more ps2 ports? Why are they so incompetent?

If it has any connection to that awful Audio Drama, I don't want to see it. I'll skip it if that is what happens. I would be all over FF12 HD though.

If FF XIII has taught us anything it's that their game development decisions aren't always what their player base wants but what the developers want. Nintendo has this same problem.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Looking at the trophy list... How long will it take to complete the sphere grid for all characters?

Finally won a stupid blitzball match and it's the story one.

I just cheesed and camped at our goal passing the ball for exp. 2nd half, get Tidus a clear Sphere Shot then hide again.

I hate Blitzball.

B-Dex

Well after an hour and fifteen minute install. Finally playing!!!

Just made it to Kilika Port.

I'm noticing a ton more detail in the environments. (Obviously) and I'm glad the brightness and colours are intact. Game looks great. Only downside is the constant load screens.

Top Bottom