• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

I hated Blitzball when I played the game when it was originally released. I doubt I'll have patience for it now, but I'll try and be open minded.

Lol, that's ok, your rant is fine with me.

Although i'm more interested in how Aerith's weapon was in the top 20, i'm going to have to look this up. I'm going to guess the the Buster Sword is number 1?

Edit: I think I found it, she was talking about the Masamune, not Aerith's Staff thankfully.

I've always been partial to Edgar's chainsaw myself.

:p

Drill is OP! But the Princess Guard, man, the two bosses that you fight after you get it can be solo'd by Aerith if she has it equipped. It gets more powerful the more allies in your party that are KO'd. Mix that with her Level 4 limit break, and she's unkillable.

Peterthumpa

Just bought this since I never had a chance to play the PS2 versions (not that I remember anyway), but what the hell is happening? Story seems totally crazy from the beginning and the fact that Tidus doesn't ask himself what the hell is going on and why he's on another dimension or something really bothers me. Does the game explains all this nonsense in the next coming hours?

Tiamant

It's going to be so hard to start with X instead of jumping directly to X-2 glorious battle system. It's going to be harder to resist the temptation of 2 new dresspheres and monster/npc recruitment but somehow leaving X the last just feels bad.

firstworldproblems.jpg

Just bought this since I never had a chance to play the PS2 versions (not that I remember anyway), but what the hell is happening? Story seems totally crazy from the beginning and the fact that Tidus doesn't ask himself what the hell is going on and why he's on another dimension or something really bothers me. Does the game explains all this nonsense in the next coming hours?

Once you get to
Besaid Island and Tidus finds Blitzball players (or they find him),
he says that he's going to stop asking why he's been brought to Spira and just try to figure it out as he goes on. No point in just sitting there freaking out.

Those are the two you need to level though.
Yuna has her fights with Belgemine and Issaru - and as far as I know, her aeons level with her. I forget with Kimahri but I think Biran and Yenke are fixed to so it can get a little bit difficult. Just make sure to use his lancet as much as you can on the fights that give him an overdrive and you should be good.

I completely forgot about those two fights. Meh, I'll just bring them up to speed during certain points in the story where I feel like I'm at a good spot to grind with them.

Just got this in the mail. When I finish one ending on Atelier Escha & Lodgy I'll get started on this. I hope I can somehow finish these games before next week Tuesday.

I never played Final Fantasy X/X-2 before. I hope I like them.

ramyeon

No, I wager that one was just the sloppy translation of FF7. Aerith is supposed to, obviously, reference her Earthy nature and such.

Aeris...doesn't. I guess you could argue it sounds like Air, but, again, that wasn't the intent.

It's a bit of an oddity in the FF community; people will feverishly defend the messages and themes and stories and imagery that the original artists had...but names? Forget whatever the writers intended, we go with what names sound better in our heads/we were used to as kids.

Weird, that.
Uhh no it's not really sloppy, because unless they were told otherwise then Aeris is just as logical a translation of her Japanese name as Aerith considering in Japanese her name is written as Earisu (Pronounced closer to Aerisu エアリス) since Japanese doesn't even have a "th" sound.

One thing I've really been impressed with so far is the quantity (Also quality) of the FMV's in FFX. I can't remember, are there lots through out the rest of the game (In Kilika now), or are they front loaded like Ghibli scenes were in Ni No Kuni? How many FMVs does X-2 have in comparison?

Also, lol at how TIE-DUS' eyes are brown in the FMVs and super blue in regular cut scenes.

Atlantis

I completely forgot about those two fights. Meh, I'll just bring them up to speed during certain points in the story where I feel like I'm at a good spot to grind with them.

Both those fights can be won without every touching either character's Sphere Grid. Kimahri's is actually quite a bit harder if you've leveled him inefficiently.

Would you recommend the expert grid? I haven't played this game in like 10 years or whenever it came out.

I'd say no. There's not a whole lot of 'good' character customization to be had with the Expert Grid and it might be a bit confusing for someone unfamiliar with the game.

jaxword

Uhh no it's not really sloppy, because unless they were told otherwise then Aeris is just as logical a translation of her Japanese name as Aerith considering in Japanese her name is written as Earisu (エアリス) since Japanese doesn't even have a "th" sound.

FF7's entire translation was done sloppily. Not that this is the fault of the poor workers here in the US, they had to use emails back and forth to Square-Enix Japan employees to translate as best they could.

If anything, it's amazing FF7 turned out coherent at all.

ramyeon

FF7's entire translation was done sloppily. Not that this is the fault of the poor workers here in the US, they had to use emails back and forth to Square-Enix Japan employees to translate as best they could.

If anything, it's amazing FF7 turned out coherent at all.
Yes but that name translation itself is not a result of sloppy translation.

Honestly I don't even get what the big deal is with Aerith vs Aeris.

And as far as his name being changed to Tidus ruining the theme of the Sun. Well that's a moot point because Western audiences wouldn't even know what Tida references.

If they wanted to keep that reference intact they would have to change his name to something completely different, and Yuna too for that matter. Which would obviously piss people off more.

Mendrox

That is wrong. Their Level scales with Kimahris. You dont have and shouldnt Kimahri at all. He is only useful for early stealing...but Rikku is of course better. Kimahri is the most useless character in a final fantasy

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
The Standard Sphere Grid has every character follow their canonical path. Rikku is a speedy thief. Auron is a strong, but slow heavy-hitter. Lulu is a black mage. There is the ability to cross paths and dip into each other's grids for customization, but usually you won't do that until endgame due to constraints.

The Expert Sphere Grid has every character start pretty much in the middle. There are far fewer constraints and the paths crisscross much more often. That said, it is still possible for every character to contain themselves to their own "job", but it is less straightforward on how to do this. The Expert Grid is best used with some pre-planning. This grid has slightly less nodes overall, but if you min-max to the very limit, you don't need those nodes anyway, so don't worry when people bring that up.

If you like the idea of having a well-defined class structure (I want a white mage, a black mage, a thief, etc) and don't care for much else, go for Standard.
If the Sphere Grid looks intimidating and you're worried about screwing up your characters, go for Standard.

If you're very familiar with the Standard Grid and want something new, go for Expert.
If you like the idea of your characters being a little of column A, B, C, and D, go for Expert.
If you like the idea of molding your characters wherever the wind brings you, go for Expert.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
That is wrong. Their Level scales with Kimahris. You dont have and shouldnt Kimahri at all. He is only useful for early stealing...but Rikku is of course better. Kimahri is the most useless character in a final fantasy
I hear most people bring him through Rikku's path, but I've always liked doing Wakka's instead. Having a second Dark/Sleep/Silence attacker with pierce came in handy. Also, Mighty Guard is nice. I'm actually going to veer him towards Rikku's this time to see how it is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
OK, I just watched the video on Squares site about the collectors edition, and she pronounced Tidus as 'Teedus'

Is this right? Please tell me its not. I mean I always said 'Tie-dus' like an ocean tide. It sounded better and made more sense.

I know it seems late, but I have never heard his name pronounced I guess. Still I hate 'Teedus'

I knew a guy who custom named his character "Teedoos."

RPGCrazied

Why can't you pause all cutscenes? I know some you can, but not others. Not even hitting the PS button pauses them. Kinda sucks when you have to go to the bathroom mid cutscene. lol

injurai

Banned
I'd say no. There's not a whole lot of 'good' character customization to be had with the Expert Grid and it might be a bit confusing for someone unfamiliar with the game.

The Standard Sphere Grid has every character follow their canonical path. Rikku is a speedy thief. Auron is a strong, but slow heavy-hitter. Lulu is a black mage. There is the ability to cross paths and dip into each other's grids for customization, but usually you won't do that until endgame due to constraints.

The Expert Sphere Grid has every character start pretty much in the middle. There are far fewer constraints and the paths crisscross much more often. That said, it is still possible for every character to contain themselves to their own "job", but it is less straightforward on how to do this. The Expert Grid is best used with some pre-planning. This grid has slightly less nodes overall, but if you min-max to the very limit, you don't need those nodes anyway, so don't worry when people bring that up.

If you like the idea of having a well-defined class structure (I want a white mage, a black mage, a thief, etc) and don't care for much else, go for Standard.
If the Sphere Grid looks intimidating and you're worried about screwing up your characters, go for Standard.

If you're very familiar with the Standard Grid and want something new, go for Expert.
If you like the idea of your characters being a little of column A, B, C, and D, go for Expert.
If you like the idea of molding your characters wherever the wind brings you, go for Expert.

Thanks. Looks like I'll go standard, I like my classes.

OK, I just watched the video on Squares site about the collectors edition, and she pronounced Tidus as 'Teedus'

Is this right? Please tell me its not. I mean I always said 'Tie-dus' like an ocean tide. It sounded better and made more sense.

I know it seems late, but I have never heard his name pronounced I guess. Still I hate 'Teedus'

I've heard so many Square employees refer to him as Teedus in press/media related events that I took it upon myself to do the same and I honestly quite like it, but considering you name him yourself in-game and never hear the name spoken form the characters, it doesn't really matter.

RaikuHebi

Banned
What is expert sphere grid?

You get to customise your characters' roles early. So you can make any character whatever they want to be from the start.

If you do the standard one then you are pushed towards certain paths. Eg. Yuna does white magic, Lulu does black magic etc.

Even if you choose standard you'll be able to customise by the post-game.

That depends what you mean by to the limit. If you want to have the most powerful HP when using Break HP limit armor, as well as optimizing all other stats , then obviously Expert can't do that. But even against the Dark Aeons you never need over 9999 HP , so expert gives you plenty of nodes to get the stats needed for the monster arena/ dark aeons, Basically there is a numerical disadvantage but its not one that makes anything more difficult in practice (except Dark Yojimbo, he's still doable without Break HP limit but it is significantly harder to pull off, if you don't know the strategy).

Fired up the vita version yesterday. Overall seems pretty awesome, though I must admit having had attention drawn to it, I do find Tidus' new face a little distracting. Really takes a while to heat up too, but just arrived at Besaid and things are starting to kick. Vita version looks great too.

Wish I didn't have to pay for X-2 - I realize it's probably still a great game, but I just don't care for the tone.

Why can't you pause all cutscenes? I know some you can, but not others. Not even hitting the PS button pauses them. Kinda sucks when you have to go to the bathroom mid cutscene. lol

Just power button it into standby.

Shahadan

HA HA HA HA !
HA HA HA HA!

Never had any problems with that scene to be honest, I wonder if new players will take issue with it.

The game has towns, explorable interiors, more varied map layout, npcs to talk to and can actually reward you for looking closely for hidden items.There are also puzzle filled temples that are pretty fun.

The areas never drag either.They are extremely well paced imo.

plus the story is about 1000x better than FF13 which is half the reason people play FF games.

Darksol

How do you transfer PS3 saves to Vita? I uploaded my PS3 data to the PS+ storage, connected my vita, but when I go to the area of content manager to download the online storage it was all greyed out :( No saves show.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
That depends what you mean by to the limit. If you want to have the most powerful HP when using Break HP limit armor, as well as optimizing all other stats , then obviously Expert can't do that. But even against the Dark Aeons you never need over 9999 HP , so expert gives you plenty of nodes to get the stats needed for the monster arena/ dark aeons, Basically there is a numerical disadvantage but its not one that makes anything more difficult in practice (except Dark Yojimbo, he's still doable without Break HP limit but it is significantly harder to pull off, if you don't know the strategy).
No, you can get max HP with both grids. You take the difference out of Agility. You get 170 Agility instead of the max. Agility after 170 only affects how many turns you get at the very beginning of the battle. To remedy this, you just need a weapon with First Strike and it gives you the same result.

plus the story is about 1000x better than FF13 which is half the reason people play FF games.

I love XIII and totally agree. X's story grabs you right away and keeps you engaged from beginning to end. XIII had some cool world mythos and stuff, but the emotional connection just wasn't there. X's story is probably one of the most emotionally engaging things FF has ever done. It's also pretty well paced and keeps the twists coming without going too far off the rails.

I love XIII and totally agree. X's story grabs you right away and keeps you engaged from beginning to end. XIII had some cool world mythos and stuff, but the emotional connection just wasn't there. X's story is probably one of the most emotionally engaging things FF has ever done. It's also pretty well paced and keeps the twists coming without going too far off the rails.

It helps that 90% of the story isn't put away in datalogs lol

Nasser

I'm playing this for the first time... and I find it hard to get used to the battle system after playing FF13 and 13-2. the battle system in 13 is flawless and addictive. :(

No, you can get max HP with both grids. You take the difference out of Agility. You get 170 Agility instead of the max. Agility after 170 only affects how many turns you get at the very beginning of the battle. To remedy this, you just need a weapon with First Strike and it gives you the same result.

Whaaaaat? Really?

Also, IIRC if you max out Luck (I did! fighting Earth Eater a bazillion times was horrible), you don't need any Evasion or Accuracy whatsoever. Is that true?

B.K.

Also, IIRC if you max out Luck (I did! fighting Earth Eater a bazillion times was horrible), you don't need any Evasion or Accuracy whatsoever. Is that true?

Gamefaqs has a good stat maxing guide that goes in depth about each stat.

Agility - Is maxed out at 170. Having 170 Agility is the same as having 255.
Even so, if you have any spare nodes, it should go into this.
Lowest Agility is 5, from Auron.
170 - 5 = 165; 165/4 = 42

Luck - The amount of Luck needed is determined by which version you are
playing. For godlike powers, you'll need 255 in INT/PAL. However, since it
takes a very long time to get 255 Luck, it's not recommended for the NA
version. But you should know, 255 Luck = 255 Evasion + 255 Accuracy.
Lowerst Luck is 17, from Yuna, Lulu, and Auron.
255 - 17 = 238; 238/4 = 60
(NOTE: Since this is based on version; ignore this for Sane NA Version)

Evasion and Accuracy - Is maxed out at 255, but can be replaced by Luck.
Lowest Evasion is 5, from Wakka, Kimarhi, Auron, and Rikku.
255 - 5 = 250; 250/4 = 63
Lowest Accuracy is 3, from Yuna, Lulu, and Auron
255 - 3 = 252; 252/4 = 63
(NOTE: Since this is based on version; ignore this for Insane and
INT/PAL Version)

Evasion - A minimum of 30 Evasion is needed for Int/PAL
30 - 5 = 25; 25/4 = 7

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Possibly a controversial opinion here, but am I the only one who vehemently disliked blitzball back in FFX? For me, it was a combination of blitzball being too hard directly followed by being too easy, since the game was entirely based off your players stats. So initially, your team is garbage and you either lose or cheat. Then once you have good players with tons of skills, you dominate the other team.

Cheating, also a big problem I had with it. You could swim behind your own goal and if done correctly, no defenders would ever come after you, so you could run out the clock. Worked every time. You could also swim in circles on one side with an attacker then pass cross court for an open shot about 75% of the time. Between these two "strategies", I would win every game, but it made blitzball very tedious and boring to me.

The final straw was the two times blitzball was "required". My sixth grade self reset the game probably 30 times to get Wakka that final victory because I didn't get the damn Ject shot right before. And next, getting Wakka's overdrives and celestial weapon from the tournaments took altogether too many games. They never showed up as prizes. I think I did some soft reset trick and it STILL took forever.

Always see people talking about how awesome blitzball was, and always confuses me. I think it had the potential to be awesome, but was implemented really poorly, and I hated it so hard as a kid. I would dodge lighting all day and do ten 0 second chocobo races before I would do another blitzball tournament.

I did not like Blitzball, but I did a play through where I just slogged my way through it.

Yasumi

Banned
I've heard so many Square employees refer to him as Teedus in press/media related events that I took it upon myself to do the same and I honestly quite like it, but considering you name him yourself in-game and never hear the name spoken form the characters, it doesn't really matter.

Even James Arnold Taylor says Teedus, and this was from way back when the PAL version of FFX released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnu4lD0iP8M
It's surprising that Tiedus still seems so common.

ZeroX03

Banned
So, this is a bit of a spoiler, but since this will be a lot of US players' first time playing the International version of the game, I'd like to give out a quick tip or two. Only read this if you already beat the standard Final Fantasy X as it'll be quite spoilerish.

1. (Mid-game)
When you reach the Calm Lands, head back to Besaid to get the Jecht Spehere immediately. Do not wait until you get the airship as accessing Besaid will be... difficult after that.
2. (Late-game)
After defeating Yunalesca, remember to go down the stairs in the background to get the Sun... something for Tidus' Celestial Weapon. Trying to do so after that fight will also be... difficult. Only much more so than entering Besaid.

As you can probably guess, the reason for this is
that each area will be guarded by a Dark Aeon. Dark Valefor, who is not too bad to fight, and Dark Bahamut who... is.
So do yourself a favor and do this right the first time.

This is very solid advice, take it people. Additionally...

When you reach the Calm Lands, don't immediately backtrack... go and buy yourself the monster catching equipment first and use it while backtracking to Besaid. Get a head start on it, if you're looking to do sphere grid maxing, optional bosses or trophies it's pretty much a necessity. Those Dark Aeons will lock you out, and you'll need to either grind hard or Yojimbo them. Also make sure you grab Valefor's second overdrive and the Al Bhed primer from Besaid, and the destruction spheres from Besaid and Macalania temple, those will be locked out too.

Top Bottom