• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Flandy

So, this is a bit of a spoiler, but since this will be a lot of US players' first time playing the International version of the game, I'd like to give out a quick tip or two. Only read this if you already beat the standard Final Fantasy X as it'll be quite spoilerish.

1. (Mid-game)
When you reach the Calm Lands, head back to Besaid to get the Jecht Spehere immediately. Do not wait until you get the airship as accessing Besaid will be... difficult after that.
2. (Late-game)
After defeating Yunalesca, remember to go down the stairs in the background to get the Sun... something for Tidus' Celestial Weapon. Trying to do so after that fight will also be... difficult. Only much more so than entering Besaid.

As you can probably guess, the reason for this is
that each area will be guarded by a Dark Aeon. Dark Valefor, who is not too bad to fight, and Dark Bahamut who... is.
So do yourself a favor and do this right the first time.

How does one go
back to Besaid upon reaching the Far Calm Lands
?

Atlantis

So how's everyone handling leveling this time around? A decade ago I did the whole "switch everyone in to get a single hit before the end of a fight every fight" so everyone kept up with everyone. But I don't know if I have the same patience for that, and already I feel like Yuna and Kamari are slowly getting left behind.

Yuna and Kimahri are both really easy to teach Steal/Use to. (If you're doing Standard) Once they get that they can pretty much do whatever you want.

Honestly, Yuna is probably one of the least useful characters in the main-game. If she's a bit behind, you'll be okay.

Thanks for explaining some international differences. I knew what to expect for Kingdom Hearts, but I am in the dark for FFX. Anyways, my impression of the Vita version is the colors really pop out. It is a very gorgeous game even after 10+ years. I will get my hands on the PS3 version over the weekend. I will try out cross-play and give my impressions of the console port.

Beers

Neo Member
Picked a copy of the PS3 Limited edition up last night at Target. Loving the nostalgia trip so far and the game looks beautiful. I'm actually excited to play through FF X-2 again because when it first came out I got to the end of the game with 98% and rage quit so I haven't actually ever seen the ending!

Also for anyone looking for limited edition, amazon has it back in stock and the Target I was at had about 10 up for grabs.

How does one go
back to Besaid upon reaching the Far Calm Lands
?

By walking all the way back.

(I thought that all of the Jecht Spheres spawn as soon as you've fought the Sphere Eater, though? Which means that you can go back and do all that nonsense before Macalania Temple? But I guess waiting until you've bought Capture weapons would be helpful.)

jaxword

I refuse to accept "Teed-us" I always read it as "Tide-us" which made sense to me considering the whole water theme, water sword on the cover art, etc.

Teedus just sounds weak, not a strong name at all.

It's based off the Japanese word Tida.

It was always ティーダ T ī d a.

The English translator likely added the S to make it sound more like a 'real' English name, a problem that plagues the series.

_woLf

Just to clarify, you aren't supposed to play the two additional pieces for both X and X-2 until beating the main games?

I accidentally started the additional option for X (can't remember the name) and it sounded like it took place after the main story so I quit it.

Is it just me or the loading seems to be quicker on the Vita than the PS3?

I notice the digital version is quicker than the disc based version, but I do not have a physical copy of FFX to test if it is quicker. However, I think the digital versions of the games run faster than the physical due to less disc reading and more memory card reading. I notice the same thing when I went Dolphin for my old GC/Wii games.

Edit: The answer is probably yes because I compared Disgaea 3 PS3 to Vita and the Vita version loaded quicker. I think it is due to the format.

Just to clarify, you aren't supposed to play the two additional pieces for both X and X-2 until beating the main games?

I accidentally started the additional option for X (can't remember the name) and it sounded like it took place after the main story so I quit it.

Sounds like you started to watch the Eternal Calm video. That video bridges the gap between X and X-2

Meowster

It's easy to forget that Tidus and Yuna are just kids, really. They're really good people.

Meanwhile, I still find it disturbing and odd that Lulu and Wakka are supposed to be 21 when they both look to be in their early to mid thirties.

Yo I want this game so bad lol. I might just order it. I definitely enjoyed 10-2 a whole lot more though. But 10 was still awesome since it spawned the sequel.

Booted up FFX-2 on the Vita and it looks spectacular. Never played this game before and the animation and graphics are hugely improved from FFX.

Can't wait to jump in after I play through FFX.

It's easy to forget that Tidus and Yuna are just kids, really. They're really good people.

Meanwhile, I still find it disturbing and odd that Lulu and Wakka are supposed to be 21 when they both look to be in their early to mid thirties.

Wakka's got good taste, I'd choose Rikku personally lol

The English translator likely added the S to make it sound more like a 'real' English name, a problem that plagues the series.

It also fits the game's water theme by having his name be Tidus. I can see why the English translator did what he did.

v1perz53

Possibly a controversial opinion here, but am I the only one who vehemently disliked blitzball back in FFX? For me, it was a combination of blitzball being too hard directly followed by being too easy, since the game was entirely based off your players stats. So initially, your team is garbage and you either lose or cheat. Then once you have good players with tons of skills, you dominate the other team.

Cheating, also a big problem I had with it. You could swim behind your own goal and if done correctly, no defenders would ever come after you, so you could run out the clock. Worked every time. You could also swim in circles on one side with an attacker then pass cross court for an open shot about 75% of the time. Between these two "strategies", I would win every game, but it made blitzball very tedious and boring to me.

The final straw was the two times blitzball was "required". My sixth grade self reset the game probably 30 times to get Wakka that final victory because I didn't get the damn Ject shot right before. And next, getting Wakka's overdrives and celestial weapon from the tournaments took altogether too many games. They never showed up as prizes. I think I did some soft reset trick and it STILL took forever.

Always see people talking about how awesome blitzball was, and always confuses me. I think it had the potential to be awesome, but was implemented really poorly, and I hated it so hard as a kid. I would dodge lighting all day and do ten 0 second chocobo races before I would do another blitzball tournament.

Ghazi

Uhhhm, so I
'm on the boat to Luca, and I just tried to do the Jecht challenge. It did the tutorial, and then when it was going to let me do the real thing none of the button prompts came up and I failed...

Was that supposed to happen? Now it won't let me do it again.

Yes, but that missed the actual theme, which was his Sun to Yuna's Moon.

The Ultimate Weapons part names still reflect that theme.

Honestly him being named 'Tida' would have made no sense to Western audiences, which is what prompted the change. The whole business of themes was entirely secondary when translating the game.

The other unusual thing about FFX is it's the last mainline FF title where you can name the main character. This created a whole host of problems when voicing it because the voice actors in both languages had to talk in circles when referring to Tidus to avoid actually saying his name throughout both X and X-2.

Possibly a controversial opinion here, but am I the only one who vehemently disliked blitzball back in FFX?

I would say the more controversial opinion would be actually liking Blitzball. :p Any time a thread pops up about worst minigames, blitzball is one of the first ones listed by a ton of people (myself included). xD

v1perz53

Uhhhm, so I
'm on the boat to Luca, and I just tried to do the Jecht challenge. It did the tutorial, and then when it was going to let me do the real thing none of the button prompts came up and I failed...

Was that supposed to happen? Now it won't let me do it again.

If I recall you don't get the prompts on the real challenge, you just have to press the button based on where the words are, you don't get actual button inputs on screen. But yea, if you fail you can't do it again until later in the game. What you described is what led me to hating blitzball, because I didn't have the Jecht shot but really wanted to win that first game.

Mononoke

Banned
Ugh just double dipped and bought the Vita version. Playing now. Game looks and plays fantastic on Vita. I actually think these HD remasters look better on the smaller screen.

Jennipeg

Is that the reason for the whole Aeris/Aerith thing? I know it's supposed to be Aerith, but I can't get Aeris out of my head, it's ingrained now.

Ghazi

If I recall you don't get the prompts on the real challenge, you just have to press the button based on where the words are, you don't get actual button inputs on screen. But yea, if you fail you can't do it again until later in the game. What you described is what led me to hating blitzball, because I didn't have the Jecht shot but really wanted to win that first game.

I'm already driving to return the game because I failed. I'm done with this.

lolno. It's not a big deal to me, but they did never mention anything about words and I just thought there'd be prompts like the tutorial said. Weird, wish they'd clarified it a bit more. Oh well. Does anything particularly special happen if you succeed the first time?

v1perz53

I'm already driving to return the game because I failed. I'm done with this.

lolno. It's not a big deal to me, but they did never mention anything about words and I just thought there'd be prompts like the tutorial said. Weird, wish they'd clarified it a bit more. Oh well. Does anything particularly special happen if you succeed the first time?

Oh let me clarify what I said, it led me to hate blitzball when I played in the sixth grade haha. Definitely wouldn't bother me now, but it is a poorly designed game event. All that happens is you get the Jecht shot for blitzball, which is basically the only way to score during the first game or when your team is terrible. You can get it later in the game still even if you fail, but you just wont have it for the event coming up next.

Also, I swear I saw a bunch of people mention blitzball in "best minigames" thread, but I am glad to know other people found it awful also.

Astral

I haven't tried the game since I'm still playing X, but does X-2 look just as good? I was always afraid they got a little lazier with X-2 because every preview kept focusing more on X, as if they were trying to hide the fact that they didn't put as much effort on X-2.

I would say the more controversial opinion would be actually liking Blitzball. :p Any time a thread pops up about worst minigames, blitzball is one of the first ones listed by a ton of people (myself included). xD

In other words, a vocal minority hates it. Most people who enjoyed Blitzball don't go on Internet forums hating on it all the time, this is true of all silent majorities on every subject ever.

Ghazi

Oh let me clarify what I said, it led me to hate blitzball when I played in the sixth grade haha. Definitely wouldn't bother me now, but it is a poorly designed game event. All that happens is you get the Jecht shot for blitzball, which is basically the only way to score during the first game or when your team is terrible. You can get it later in the game still even if you fail, but you just wont have it for the event coming up next.

Also, I swear I saw a bunch of people mention blitzball in "best minigames" thread, but I am glad to know other people found it awful also.

I'm sure I'll hate Blitzball too *grumble*

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
As far as I know, no. It's a combo download for the PS3, but for the Vita X-2 is a separate voucher for the game.

That's because originally X and X-2 Vita were not a collection, but sold as two separate titles (possibly because of space limitations, possibly because SE deliberately was trying ot push the PS3 version over the Vita version, possibly because they're greedy.). That's how it was in Japan.

The quick and dirty solution to this in NA and Europe is to essentially sell FFX Vita, and bundle FFX-2 Vita with it for free.

I would have skipped the collection. I own a vita but don't own a PS3, couldn't justify paying 2x as much for the Vita version, or the same amount for half of the content (in case I just settled for FFX or FFX-2, but not both).

Will download later today.

PS: Triple Triad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blitzball

In other words, a vocal minority hates it. Most people who enjoyed Blitzball don't go on Internet forums hating on it all the time, this is true of all silent majorities on every subject ever.

I hated blitzball back when I first played this when I was 15 or 16. Having replayed this game a few years back and retrying it though, it's actually quite fun. Just need to learn and practice.

jaxword

Is that the reason for the whole Aeris/Aerith thing? I know it's supposed to be Aerith, but I can't get Aeris out of my head, it's ingrained now.

No, I wager that one was just the sloppy translation of FF7. Aerith is supposed to, obviously, reference her Earthy nature and such.

Aeris...doesn't. I guess you could argue it sounds like Air, but, again, that wasn't the intent.

It's a bit of an oddity in the FF community; people will feverishly defend the messages and themes and stories and imagery that the original artists had...but names? Forget whatever the writers intended, we go with what names sound better in our heads/we were used to as kids.

Weird, that.

ss_lemonade

when are you guys doing the lightning bolt challenge? First time across, or coming back end-game?
I'll do it once I'm able to do no encounters. I never finished it before, got really close after like 30mins but lost concentration. I won't fail now lol.

Any comparisons by the way between vita and ps3? I only have the vita version but I'm interested to see if there are noticeable differences other than resolution.

OK, I just watched the video on Squares site about the collectors edition, and she pronounced Tidus as 'Teedus'

Is this right? Please tell me its not. I mean I always said 'Tie-dus' like an ocean tide. It sounded better and made more sense.

I know it seems late, but I have never heard his name pronounced I guess. Still I hate 'Teedus'

It's right.

So why would the Vita version be better? I want to play it on the television.

fates

OK, I just watched the video on Squares site about the collectors edition, and she pronounced Tidus as 'Teedus'

Is this right? Please tell me its not. I mean I always said 'Tie-dus' like an ocean tide. It sounded better and made more sense.

I know it seems late, but I have never heard his name pronounced I guess. Still I hate 'Teedus'

I call him Teedor. Everyone wins.

TheExodu5

Banned
I started with the expert sphere grid. Is it weird that I'm considering restarting because the expert sphere grid color looks horrible?

Did you catch the IGN Top 20 Final Fantasy Weapons video? The narrator used Aeris. It made my skin crawl, considering SE essentially retconned the name when they released Crisis Core.

/nerdrant

Sorry. Had to get that out of my system.

Jennipeg

Did you catch the IGN Top 20 Final Fantasy Weapons video? The narrator used Aeris. It made my skin crawl, considering SE essentially retconned the name when they released Crisis Core.

/nerdrant

Sorry. Had to get that out of my system.

Lol, that's ok, your rant is fine with me.

Although i'm more interested in how Aerith's weapon was in the top 20, i'm going to have to look this up. I'm going to guess the the Buster Sword is number 1?

Edit: I think I found it, she was talking about the Masamune, not Aerith's Staff thankfully.

I've always been partial to Edgar's chainsaw myself.

Top Bottom