• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

impact

Banned
So to the people with both PS3/Vita versions, which of them would you recommend? Is the Vita version ugly due to sub-native? And how does the PS3 version look on bigger 1080p TVs?

Vita is preferable for suspend/resume but all the screenshots make it look quite ugly

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just got to the first island. I'm extremely impressed with how much work they put into remastering all the assets. The game looks fantastic, even looked at with modern standards in mind. Like I said before, I thought going into this that it was just going to be all the old assets running at 1080p.

Anyhow, something really weird happened. I have my PS3 running in Dolby Digital mode through my receivers optical. The receiver was reading DD coming in, but I was only getting stereo output. Then, as soon as I arrived at the first island, the sound cut out for a second, and the receiver stopped displaying that it was getting DD. However, I started getting sound in all 5 channels. What the hell happened?

Should I be running this game in DTS mode or DD mode on the PS3?

SirNinja

Actuallly, I'll be buying a physical copy, so I assume FFX will come on it's own media?

Oh, didn't know that. In that case, you'll have some space to spare.

Does X-2 have a remastered soundtrack also?

Nope. One of the game's two composers permanently quit her job after getting overly-harsh feedback from "fans". Perhaps understandably, the score was left untouched for the remaster.

Need some help on the cross save functionality. Been playing the bulk of my game on Vita. I uploaded the save from the Vita to the cloud, but my PS3 won't see any save on the cloud server. I'm signed in on my account on both sides. What gives?

How did you upload your save on the Vita? If you did through the PS+ tab, that won't work; that's a completely separate thing. You've got to sync the save using the Data Transfer option on the games' main menu both ways.

I actually really loved the laughing scene. It's like Square asked the question "how does one colossal dweeb cheer another dweeb up" and then they wrote that.

Meowster

When is the best time to get the spheres?
The Jecht Spheres. There is one in Besaid right? I just got the first one. Should I go now?

Caode

RA3WyZz.jpg

n501a053464eec.gif

There is still no new game plus in 10 right?

Can anyone link me to an awesome 100% guide they have used so I don't miss anything? I restarted 10 5 times before I beat it back in the day. 2 of those times were because I realized I missed stuff. I couldn't beat this game without anima!

Levyne

Banned
Maybe there's one not so huge, but Split Infinity tends to write guides which will effectly have you power-gaming, if that makes sense. It's a text file here,

bobawesome

I was so bad at my first blitzball match and hated it too. Later on, I spent hours upon hours just straight playing blitzball. The game gets a hell of a lot more fun when you're given more control over it.

That's great to hear. I'm not willing to dismiss it entirely as it definitely looks like something I'd enjoy if I got the hang of it.

NastyBook

Fell for that bullshit rope-a-dope Gamestop crap where if you don't pre-order in enough time, you get the standard edition. So I just ordered the LE from amazon and will return the vanilla copy tomorrow.

SirNinja

I restarted 10 5 times before I beat it back in the day. 2 of those times were because I realized I missed stuff. I couldn't beat this game without anima!

There are very, very few missable things in X. Namely, there's four Al Bhed primers, one terrible Blitzball player who glitches out during the story, some armor with abilities normally only found on weapons (and vice versa), and...that's about it. The primers can be imported from another file, Durren sucks at max level, and the unique equipment is more of a novelty than anything else.

No aeons are missable. If you missed a Destruction Sphere treasure in one of the Cloisters, you can go back to them and get it once you are able to. (You can't go back to the one in
Bevelle
, but that's not an issue as you are required to get that treasure in order to clear the Trials there in the first place.)

Tiamant

Which game had the bit where you could buy items and then sell them for a bigger profit? I don't remember if it was Oaka or the fish barman.

My Collector's Edition arrived yay! Expensive but the art book is nice. I doubt I'll ever pop the soundtrack....thing in though.

I can't wait to jump back into this game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yes. Sadly.

That's such bullshit :(.... Music is so subjective and I've seen fans rage against soundtracks I've loved. She should never have listened to any stupid fan.

I liked the X-2 soundtrack. There were a few tracks that took time to grow on me, but now I look back on it fondly.

Favorites include Zanarkand and I'll Give You Something Hot.

ramyeon

Anyone from Australia bought this digital and know when it does or had it unlock for them yet?
The PSN pre-order receipt for the game says it's available tonight at 9PM. When I preordered Toukiden awhile back it was the same. It downloaded around that time but it took an hour or two to unlock after that.

SirNinja

Is this for real ? :((

Yep. :( Noriko Matsueda gave up composing for good after that. She's an excellent composer (she even contributed a few tracks to Chrono Trigger), but this was just too much for her. Sad, and one of the reasons I dislike FF fans who hate a new game/element of the series for no other/better reason than "it's different".

The music in X-2 is brilliant.

It really is. The score fits the tone of the game perfectly. It was such a radical departure from X, but then again, so was the rest of the game. People didn't give it a chance.

Side note: the X-2 Piano Collections album is, IMO, still the best of them. Some really really good arrangements in there. (The FFX one is great too; the "new" Via Purifico music is literally straight out of it.)

HeelPower

Amazing soundtrack. Spira Unplugged

Yep. :( Noriko Matsueda gave up composing for good after that. She's an excellent composer (she even contributed a few tracks to Chrono Trigger), but this was just too much for her. Sad, and one of the reasons I dislike FF fans who hate a new game/element of the series for no other/better reason than "it's different".

It really is. The score fits the tone of the game perfectly. It was such a radical departure from X, but then again, so was the rest of the game. People didn't give it a chance.

Side note: the X-2 Piano Collections album is, IMO, still the best of them. Some really really good arrangements in there. (The FFX one is great too; the "new" Via Purifico music is literally straight out of it.)

Oh my god this is so awful.

The game's music is flawless..I could never imagine X-2 without its music.From the prelude to everything else, the music fit perfectly.

How can someone so brilliant quit their job ?

This makes me feel terrible..Especially since its related to fan feedback..Which ultimately hurts the creative minds behind the work we get.

Well I am glad we get to her original work untouched for this remaster :(

Jubern

Goddammit, I was so excited to see the game was up for download on the European store for Vita but it's only pre-load, it won't unlock until tomorrow... 8AM for me here in Japan, nooooooo.

I can't take this anymore.

ZeroX03

Banned
Hey Europeans / Australians / New Zealanders, finally got my hands on our Limited Edition (with the nice separate artbook). Here's a much clearer unboxing than the one posted earlier. Also took some high res photos if people were interested.

Also updated the FAQ posted earlier, people are still asking what the expert sphere grid is, lol.

Game Price:
$40USD PS3 / $40USD Vita

Release Date:
US: 18th March
ANZ: 20th March
Europe: 21st March

Are the games separate?
PS3 version comes with both games on one disc.
Vita version for US/Europe comes with a cart for X and a download code for X-2. The PSN version has both games bundled, separate downloads/bubbles though.
Vita versions of X and X-2 for Japan/Asia are sold separately. R3 is English dub and sub.
This game is not cross buy and Square Enix has stated there will not be an option to buy them separately.

What is the resolution?
PS3 version is 1080p (not sure if native). Vita version is sub-native. Both 30fps. Both look great.

What is the download size?
PS3 is 22.9GB, Vita is 3.4GB for X and 3.4GB for X-2. These sizes are slightly different for Europe.

Does the game support cross save?
Yes via syncing to the cloud. Cross saves are not cross region, although if you use the English patch on the Japanese PS3 version it will be considered US region for cross save purposes. You can also manually change the region of the save game via other methods.

How do trophies work?
X and X-2 each have their own set of trophies and a Platinum trophy each. Trophies are shared between the PS3 and Vita versions and between regions, so you can only get one Platinum maximum per game. There is one missable trophy for collecting all Al Bhed Primers.

Does it support DualShock 4 on PS3?
Yes it does.

Should I buy the PS3 or Vita version?
The PS3 version has crisper, higher resolution graphics and a slightly more stable framerate. The Vita version is portable and has suspend - which helps for things like lightning dodging - and still looks great. They both have the same content. When in doubt...

Standard or Expert Sphere Grid?

This is up to you. First-time players will probably want to play the standard grid as it's straight-forward and easier, but is mostly linear until late in the game. The expert sphere grid allows you to build characters how you like but can be confusing if you don't know what you're doing. The expert sphere grid also has less nodes overall, but this doesn't really affect stat maxing. For trophy hunters, the expert grid will save you an hour or two. The standard sphere grid in the international version is actually slightly different from the U.S. version but it's not really noticeable.

What additional content is there?
Final Fantasy X is the international edition adds the aforementioned expert sphere grid. It also adds the Dark Aeons and Penance, optional bosses who are far tougher than any of the regular bosses in the game and add a significant challenge. There are some other small balance changes and bug fixes. For Europeans, this is the original version we got, so there's nothing new (except 60Hz!).

Final Fantasy X-2's international + last mission edition adds two dresspheres, new garment grids and the ability to capture monsters / recruit NPCs and have them join your team. This includes familiar faces from FFX. Last Mission is a rougelike game set after X-2's main story which has you scaling the Iutycyr Tower. This version has never been available in the U.S. or Europe.

How have the soundtracks been changed?
Final Fantasy X's soundtrack has been almost entirely remastered using real instruments and new mixes. X-2's audio stays the same. Vita audio is compressed while PS3 isn't.

Will my original US guide for X/X-2 still be worth using?
90% of the information will still be correct. Some items/enemy stats have slightly changed. You will need to look online for details about things like the Dark Aeons. The official X/X-2 Remaster guide doesn't go into great depth about them, you will probably want to research that online.

My Final Fantasy X-2 download code isn't working!
This issue appears to have been solved, but if your code still isn't working contact Sony and Square-Enix and try and organize a replacement. YMMV.

Also Blitzball and FFX-2's OST are both great. <3

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh, enjoying the expert sphere grid and actually letting Yuna learn some offensive skills early, but the vita near-constant load pauses between areas are killing me, lol.

Might have to double dip down the road and play the majority on the PS3.

XJF

Disc drive on my PS3 failed when I was in macalania. Fuck! Oh well, at least my VITA will be here tomorrow, just went out and bought Vita version. My sister has a PS3 I can use in the mean time... Super pissed.. PS3 was Japan Import ADVENT CHILDREN COMPLETE Cloud Black PS3...

ramyeon

Ugh, enjoying the expert sphere grid and actually letting Yuna learn some offensive skills early, but the vita near-constant load pauses between areas are killing me, lol.

Aren't there just as many loading screens on the PS3 version?

rocK`

Banned

OK - keep us updated.

Flandy

Pretty sure the loading times are in the same spots on the PS2 and PS3 version too

Top Bottom