• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Levyne

Banned
I loved both X and X-2, gonna be playing my PS3 for the next few weeks on these, and more than happy to ignore some other games in the meantime.

Hellix

Wow, you sure get Haste fast with the expert sphere grid. I don't remember getting it so early using the standard grid.

Meowster

the story is great and organic for the most part as well.

Except the "happy ending" it sucked.
I've always loved how
it was a story about moving on: a crumbling society desperately trying to find something to cling to as their values have changed. The after effects of X were interesting and Yuna was on the same path too. So.. again.. shame on how the "happy" ending turned out. I loved the original ending of Yuna moving on from her past and finding her new identity in a changing world. Oh weeeelll..

Flandy

Some of you guys said to go back to Besaid before
you get the airship else the Dark Aeon will appear. Someone said you have to walk all the way back. How do you get there though? I thought you couldn't get back to Luca after Operation whatever. I remember it spawns you like near the beach after that and I do not remember there being a way back. I assume once you get to Luca you take a boat?

Ghazi

When can I access the Sphere Grid again? I haven't seen it since the tutorial and I want to put some points in it (and probably mess it up).

Holmes

I also like Luzzu's voice actor.
..so I always make Gatta die....
I always
have Luzzu die because Gatta is the younger one
, but playing this game again, I find him kind of annoying, so I might just change my mind. I'm literally at that part of the game.

MissFatality

Neo Member
The remake is SO good. They did an amazing job. It took me a bit but I think I finally got use to Tidus's plastic surgery. The soundtrack is beautifully done as well. :)

Meowster

Honestly.. I think Tidus looks so much better. But he's the only person that the new Kingdom Hearts eyes really work with. The new ones took out so much life out of Yuna and Rikku.

OmegaDL50

You know something I've been wondering.

Neither Luzzu or Gatta appear in FFX-2, so is it canonical that they both died?
It was always something that bothered me.

HeelPower

I've always loved how
it was a story about moving on: a crumbling society desperately trying to find something to cling to as their values have changed. The after effects of X were interesting and Yuna was on the same path too. So.. again.. shame on how the "happy" ending turned out. I loved the original ending of Yuna moving on from her past and finding her new identity in a changing world. Oh weeeelll..

Yeah society transition was well done...Yuna's reflections on her journey were awesome and she has a lot of depth. She is strong enough to move on with her life which she actually did but then had to bring tidus back..that sucked imo

Can I just say, all this FFX-2 talk is making me eager to give the game another shot after finishing X.

When it first came out, I was so put off by...well how goddamn Toriyama it was (little did I know what was in store for us years down the line), and how they slutted-up Yuna with her new outfit. It seemed like a betrayal to her character. (As the game felt like a betrayal to X's universe in general.)

But, I get that the game's goofy and super tongue in cheek. I think I'm gonna go in the second time around pretending it's a different take on X's world and a parallel story of sorts as opposed to a direct sequel. Not sure I'll be able to stomach it, but after the "stories" of XII and XIII trilogy, I think my tolerance has grown.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Can I just say, all this FFX-2 talk is making me eager to give the game another shot after finishing X.

When it first came out, I was so put off by...well how goddamn Toriyama it was (little did I know what was in store for us years down the line), and how they slutted-up Yuna with her new outfit. It seemed like a betrayal to her character. (As the game felt like a betrayal to X's universe in general.)

But, I get that the game's goofy and super tongue in cheek. I think I'm gonna go in the second time around pretending it's a different take on X's world and a parallel story of sorts as opposed to a direct sequel. Not sure I'll be able to stomach it, but after the "stories" of XII and XIII trilogy, I think my tolerance has grown.

On that point, at the time, sexing up Yuna wasn't seen as the obvious "cash in" that it would be seen as today. It really was a bizarre move at the time "you got your handguns and blatant sexuality in my Final Fantasy??" Same with the pop music.

Nowadays after games like XIII-2 and LR, this kind of stuff is now in FF's DNA. It's no longer a strange new addition to the series.

Velcro Fly

Well I've been sick all week but I'm finally going to start FFX! Hoping it's as wonderful as I remember it being all those years ago when I first played it.

Meowster

Lightning Returns.
Ahh.. yes.. that would work too. I suppose you could make the case since Lightning Return's storyline pretty much goes by how you want to do it and is never really fixed (other than the outcome). I think the reason I still want to say X-2 is because of the sheer scope and all of the different endings, those different scenes you can watch with the sphere, and all of the optional content. But you have a strong case for LR.

BocoDragon

Ahh.. yes.. that would work too. I suppose you could make the case since Lightning Return's storyline pretty much goes by how you want to do it and is never really fixed (other than the outcome). I think the reason I still want to say X-2 is because of the sheer scope and all of the different endings, those different scenes you can watch with the sphere, and all of the optional content. But you have a strong case for LR.

I suppose you can skip a lot of stuff in X-2. It's very optional.

In LR I'm finding I need to do as much of the side quests as i can just to win at the major boss battles (normal difficulty... which is quite hard).

BocoDragon

When did everyone jump on the FFX-2 bandwagon?

Or the X bandwagon for that matter. Extremely divisive games back then. Now? Sacred ground.

It's not nostalgia per se (though it's a part of it), but time tends to build a game's esteem.

Off topic aside, but I remember a time when Super Metroid wasn't considered GOAT. 10 years later? It was top 3 material.

Meowster

I suppose you can skip a lot of stuff in X-2. It's very optional.

In LR I'm finding I need to do as much of the side quests as i can just to win at the major boss battles (normal difficulty... which is quite hard).
Quite true! I loved Lightning Returns too. I actually really like what Toriyama does with the gameplay in his games. He's actually a very competant director when he isn't muddling around with the plot of his games.
When did everyone jump on the FFX-2 bandwagon?
I've been on it since release date 2003!

Or the X bandwagon for that matter. Extremely divisive games back then. Now? Sacred ground.

It's not nostalgia per se (though it's a part of it), but time tends to build a game's esteem.

Off topic aside, but I remember a time when Super Metroid wasn't considered GOAT. 10 years later? It was top 3 material.

Lightning Returns best game ever created in 2025 confirmed.

In terms of art and character design, this game might actually have the best I've ever seen. The outfits are ridiculously complicated but they blend perfectly with the rest of the world (Lulu does look a bit out of place, though).

Levyne

Banned
I don't many who felt negatively about the games then have shifted significantly about their views. Just people who didn't take to either game in the first place are probably not interested in the re-release.

BocoDragon

Lightning Returns best game ever created in 2025 confirmed.

Well I didn't want to say it ;) 3/4 off-topic mentions of LR are by me in this thread. Xo

(I do think that game's esteem will rise in time).

I don't many who felt negatively about the games then have shifted significantly about their views. Just people who didn't take to either game in the first place are probably not interested in the re-release.

That may be the case.

Although personally, I was pretty negative on X over the last decade but... I'm curious to revisit it. In my mind I'm tentatively fond of it now.

inner-G

Banned

It's been my fav in the series since it came out. I've caught a lot of flak for my avatar over the years, but I think it holds up remarkably well for a game of the era.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
What in the fucking WORLD is with the input lag in X??

Valnen

I've loved X ever since I first played it. It was my first FF game actually and I still consider it the best of any I've ever played.

ZeroX03

Banned

I don't remember X being that divisive, it was pretty hype at the time. X-2 was considered a travesty by a lot of people who refused to play it though. To a lot of them it wasn't the gameplay or story but just the idea of a Final Fantasy having a direct sequel. And the sexy costume focus didn't help.

Meowster

Well I didn't want to say it ;) 3/4 off-topic mentions of LR are by me in this thread. Xo

(I do think that game's esteem will rise in time).
It's the Nier of 2014!
sQ0ww_zps5a22d393.gif

Anywho.. beat
Seymour's first battle
with relative ease. The cloister of trials is still pushing me a bit over the edge but other than that, going great.

Levyne

Banned
I remember asking for FFX-2 for Xmas (I was like 14..) and feeling really awkward about the cover.

"Yes mom, that one"

"This one?"

"-_-"

BocoDragon

I don't remember X being that divisive, it was pretty hype at the time. X-2 was considered a travesty by a lot of people who refused to play it though. To a lot of them it wasn't the gameplay or story but just the idea of a Final Fantasy having a direct sequel. And the sexy costume focus didn't help.

Well I do remember it being divisive on forums and the like. Then again: Final Fantasy. There is a case to be made that every FF has been divisive to some degree since VI.

Top Bottom