• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Flandy

FFX had a minority of internet haters who didn't even understand the scenes they were bashing.

FF13 will never be looked at as a classic. The story is just not good. It's one good aspect was graphics which will look less and less impressive as time goes on. FFX has a good story and gameplay which will always stand the test of time.

Tidus_Great
(Today, 09:21 PM)
image.php

I'm sorry I just had to. I agree with what you say though

FFX had a minority of internet haters who didn't even understand the scenes they were bashing.

FF13 will never be looked at as a classic. The story is just not good. It's one good aspect was graphics which will look less and less impressive as time goes on. FFX has a good story and gameplay which will always stand the test of time.

I'm not really a fan of XIII, but let's not forget that combat system..

Typomancer

Neo Member
Is ffx supossed to be so linear? Is there some exploration then? Already finished the lucas blitzball match.

It has more exploration than FFXIII, that is for damn sure, though it is a complete departure from how previous titles were with an overmap and all of that. It opens up more later, but the narrative still sort of pushes you in one direction.

Levyne

Banned
The story path is pretty linear though it does gradually open up, and then explodes open with the airship. It's more open than XIII in the sense that you can actually pick which party members you want to use, aren't capped in grid progress, and the expert grid really gives you some freedom. Wish you could start some customization before getting Rikku but there's also that as well. So it's got some openess in the gameplay, even if the maps are lines too often.

But the short answer to "is the game linear" is "yes"

Is ffx supossed to be so linear? Is there some exploration then? Already finished the lucas blitzball match.

it opens up about 2/3rds into the game then you can explore everywhere and do sidequests. FFX has alot ogreat challenging quests. It's a cinematic story driven game though at its core so linearity benefits the narrative IMO.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I will never excuse the linearity. That is a minus to me. They didn't even disguise it... it's just a straight line of dots on the map. And then with an airship you can go back to them later :p Also the Calm Lands sucked. I like other aspects of this game, but not this.

I swear they made XIII the way it is as a way to make complaints about X's linearity seem quaint. Take what I said above and multiply it by 100.

Final Fantasy should be at least somewhat open, always. IMO.

XJF

HAHAHAHAH. Killed the forced battle enemy
Zu
in Bikanel before
Auron and Lulu joined the battle
lol

Levyne

Banned
Entering a battle with Wakka, Lulu, and Yuna:

Yuna: "A lot of fiends here, ya?"

Lulu: "Don't talk like that"

KuGsj.gif
I've not heard this one before.

Final Fantasy wiki. Also the City itself is surrounded by water and after the intro you end up at Baaj temple which if I remember correctly is also surrounded by water.

That's weird
then I don't understand how Tidus, and Jecht were the only ones who made it into the mainlands of Spira. Regular Spira had boats, so I would think a technologically advance Zanarkand would have more efficient vessels and also how come it couldn't be found when you had access to the airship? Also what was up with pieces of Zanarkand inside of Sin, just reflecting Jecht's memories?

OmegaDL50

That's weird then I don't understand how Tidus, and Jecht were the only ones who made it into the mainlands of Spira. Regular Spira had boats, so I would think a technologically advance Zanarkand would have vessels and also how come it couldn't be found when you had access to the airship? Also what was up with pieces of Zanarkand inside of Sin, just reflecting Jecht's memories?

Yo, some of the people in this topic never played the game before. That bit you said
part of Zanarkand being inside Sin
is something I think first time players would definitely should discover for themselves.

EDIT, you bring up an interesting point though.
How did Jecht get to the "real" Spira without outside intervention. That is definitely something I wish was explained

Being able to grin next to save spheres feels so cheap lol. Infinite hp and mp so I never have to worry about anything. Also trying to make sure everyone gets ap makes the combat so much more interesting. Balancing everyone's actions out is pretty great.

Hyunkel6

Can I go back to the temples for the destruction spheres' treasures? I tried to go back in Kilika, but the door won't open. I hope they are not missable. :(

Squire

Banned
Played up to the Highroad. Still lost at Blitzball.

I was happy to hear "The Splendid Performance" was left untouched. Although, every time I come across a track that was left alone, it reminds me that having the old score would make the experience that much better.

How are people feeling about the score? I feel like it's so OK (or right below the mark) it reinforces how unnecessary it is. Like, it's different, but not in a good enough way to justify itself.

Levyne

Banned

I was happy to hear "The Splendid Performance" was left untouched. Although, every time I come across a track that was left alone, it reminds me that having the old score would make the experience that much better.

How are people feeling about the score? I feel like it's so OK (or right below the mark) it reinforces how unnecessary it is. Like, it's different, but not in a good enough way to justify itself.

The new battle theme has grown on me. I guess that's good because you hear it a lot. Overall I think it is worse, though.

What is your avatar from, by the way?

Meowster

Battle themes are actually much better and improved. Especially the main battle theme which I've always felt was the worst mainline FF battle music. Many tracks flow better for me but I noticed that a lot of percussion was taken out of songs where they were essential to enforcing the melody. The biggest offender was the song that plays at Baaj Temple in the very beginning.

Squire

Banned
The new battle theme has grown on me. I guess that's good because you hear it a lot. Overall I think it is worse, though.

What is your avatar from, by the way?

Yeah, same here. That's how I feel about most of them. They're either fine or inferior to the original. Wandering Flame being the biggest offender so far.

My avatar is fan art I found whilst rummaging through an image board the other day. Here's the original along with some more good pieces:

There are very, very few missable things in X. Namely, there's four Al Bhed primers, one terrible Blitzball player who glitches out during the story, some armor with abilities normally only found on weapons (and vice versa), and...that's about it. The primers can be imported from another file, Durren sucks at max level, and the unique equipment is more of a novelty than anything else.

No aeons are missable. If you missed a Destruction Sphere treasure in one of the Cloisters, you can go back to them and get it once you are able to. (You can't go back to the one in
Bevelle
, but that's not an issue as you are required to get that treasure in order to clear the Trials there in the first place.)
You just made my playrthough a hell of a lot less stressful. Thank you. I would love a site that just lists stuff straight up like you just did.
EDIT: oh shit. Just looked up a trophy guide. You have to learn monster moves. I don't remember a mechanic for refighting bosses. Is there a list for this stuff? WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, same here. That's how I feel about most of them. They're either fine or inferior to the original. Wandering Flame being the biggest offender so far.

My avatar is fan art I found whilst rummaging through an image board the other day. Here's the original along with some more good pieces:

Some great artwork, thanks for linking them!

You just made my playrthough a hell of a lot less stressful. Thank you. I would love a site that just lists stuff straight up like you just did.
EDIT: oh shit. Just looked up a trophy guide. You have to learn monster moves. I don't remember a mechanic for refighting bosses. Is there a list for this stuff? WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF.

none of the monster moves are missable, but you can probably find a simple guide that lists them.

Meowster

Not to worry. You can learn all of those moves with two bosses in late-game. Don't get too stressed out about it.

With a couple of exceptions, I actually really like the remastered soundtrack. I don't like the new Besaid Island, and honestly I'm a bit torn about Wandering Flame. Part of me wants to like the new Wandering Flame, the other part remembers how it originally was and misses it.

However a great number of tracks which sounded really synthesized have greatly benefited from the remastering with use of real instruments. I love the new To Zanarkand and Besaid Village themes, for instance. The use of leitmotif has always been evident in FFX and I really like the new Tidus, Yuna, and especially the new Auron themes. I think I remember someone getting mad about Someday the Dream Will End and I'm just not understanding why, the moment I heard the new version of this in the menu you select which game you want to play in the PS3 version I really liked it.

The new boss themes are great too, though I'm not sure how I feel about the new regular battle theme. It feels like they tried to pile on too much new stuff on the new battle theme just because they could and the cacophony feels overwhelming.

XJF

don't forget one of kimahris lancet abilities is one time only. Nova

Wrong.
Nemesis (OMEGA GOLD) at the Monster Arena and regular Omega
both use it

Full Ability list for Kimahri below. Taken from playstationtrophies . org

Jump
Kimari has Jump from the start of the game.

Seed Cannon
Learned during a tutorial in Kilika Woods.

Self-Destruct
Learned from Bomb on Mi'hen Highroad.
Learned from Grenade on Mount Gagazet.
Learned from Puroboros in Omega Ruins
Learned from Biran Ronso during Biran/Yenke Boss Fight.

Fire Breath
Learned from Dual Horn on Mi'hen Highroad.
Learned from Valaha in Cavern of the Stolen Fayth.
Learned from Grendel on Mount Gagazet.
Learned from Yenke Ronso during Biran/Yenke Boss Fight.

Stone Breath
Learned from Basilisk on Djose Highroad.
Learned from Anacondaur in Calm Lands.

Aqua Breath
Learned from Chimera in Macalania Woods.
Learned from Chimera Brain in Calm Lands.

Thrust Kick
Learned from YKT-63 in Bevelle.
Learned from YKT-11 in Zanarkand.

Bad Breath
Learned from Marboro in Calm Lands/Cavern of the Stolen Fayth.
Learned from Great Marboro in Omega Ruins/Inside Sin.

Doom
Learned from Ghost in Cavern of the Stolen Fayth.
Learned from Wraith in Omega Ruins.

White Wind
Learned from Dark Flan in Mount Gagazet.

Mighty Guard
Learned from Behemoth in Mount Gagazet/Zanarkand.
Learned from King Behemoth in Inside Sin.
Learned from Biran during Biran/Yenke Boss Fight.

Nova
Learned from Omega Weapon in Omega Ruins.
Learned from Nemesis in Monster Arena.

Meowster

So.. I'm at Home and
the big cutscene happened. Poor Tidus. I wanna cry.. James Arnold Taylor does such a good job. "To Zanarkand" popping in and everyone leaving Tidus while he realizes Yuna's potential fate..

XJF

So.. I'm at Home and
the big cutscene happened. Poor Tidus. I wanna cry.. James Arnold Taylor does such a good job. "To Zanarkand" popping in and everyone leaving Tidus while he realizes Yuna's potential fate..

In all honesty, first time I got to this part I did cry. I was like 12 and was so caught up in the story. This was my first real RPG. All the feels

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs

The amount of player-written guides covering every aspect of this game is exhaustive. People have done everything remotely possible in this game in the nearly 13 years it's been available. No Sphere Grid, single party member only runs are kinda crazy but hey, they've done it with every playable character!

Tirod

Looking forward to popping this in later tonight, I never played the PS2 FF titles when I was younger for some reason unknown to me.

Gonna be nice to have an all new turn based FF to play after all this time.

Meowster

In all honesty, first time I got to this part I did cry. I was like 12 and was so caught up in the story. This was my first real RPG. All the feels
The cast really sells it. Tara Strong and James Arnold Taylor do such a good job here.
I thought it was such a shock when I was a wee ten year old little boy.. I was definitely crying. Especially when Tidus called out Lulu and Wakka for being her family but letting her continue her pilgrimage.

Just got to the laughing scene. So awkward. So iconic.

it opens up about 2/3rds into the game then you can explore everywhere and do sidequests. FFX has alot ogreat challenging quests. It's a cinematic story driven game though at its core so linearity benefits the narrative IMO.

It's crazy how much this seriously feels like what XIII wanted and tried to be. The format and approach for both games seem so similar yet the execution on both couldn't be any further apart.

XJF

The cast really sells it. Tara Strong and James Arnold Taylor do such a good job here.
I thought it was such a shock when I was a wee ten year old little boy.. I was definitely crying. Especially when Tidus called out Lulu and Wakka for being her family but letting her continue her pilgrimage.

They truly do. I like most of Tara Strong's work. Even in the Fairly Odd Parents XD

bobawesome

It's crazy how much this seriously feels like what XIII wanted and tried to be. The format and approach for both games seem so similar yet the execution on both couldn't be any further apart.

All this talk of XIII is really making me wanna go back and give it a go when I finish X and X-2.

Flandy

So I just got to the Blitzball tournament. 30 seconds in I don't even get to touch the ball and the Goers score a point -__- How do I switch to manual movement?

ZeroX03

Banned
All this talk of XIII is really making me wanna go back and give it a go when I finish X and X-2.

It's not worth it.

How hard is it to platinum FFX & FFX-2?

X isn't hard at all, it's just a long (100+ hour) grind. The main 'challenge' is mini-games (Blitzball/Lightning Dodge/Racing). X-2 is a bit harder because there's a lot more missable stuff while going for 100%, although you can NG+ to clean it up unlike in X.

Man, after I go insane on the hours in this and X-2 I really want to dive back into XII again. It's sooooo good and if they announce an HD Remaster of the International Zodiac Job System version, then I'll be gleefully giddy!

I probably shouldn't get my hopes up for an announcement of it at E3, but too late, already did! Oops! Now to get some sleep so I'm well rested for another day of FFX fun!

leng jai

This is probably the most enjoyable HD remaster I've played so far. The graphics look great, the audio mix sounds better than most modern games and the gameplay holds up. The only downer really are the animations.

Top Bottom