• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Flandy

I don't remember these games ever being this detailed before. I mean, it was there, but maybe it's because I played on sd.

Just beautiful.

qiCN94b.jpg

They weren't that detailed. The environment textures seem to have been improved a lot

Triangle.

Also you should just cheese that lopsided match.

Cheese? As in restart lol? But yeah this match is fucking bullshit. They scored two points in half time. By the time I finally managed to get the ball to Tidus it was half time -__-. Second half of the match just started. Wish me luck D:

Erigu

Yes, but that missed the actual theme, which was his Sun to Yuna's Moon.
Although Yuna's name doesn't quite mean "Moon".

Honestly him being named 'Tida' would have made no sense to Western audiences
I don't think Wakka being named that made much more sense to Western players (it's "water" in Ainu) and yet the name stayed.

The other unusual thing about FFX is it's the last mainline FF title where you can name the main character. This created a whole host of problems when voicing it because the voice actors in both languages had to talk in circles when referring to Tidus to avoid actually saying his name throughout both X and X-2.
That was rather dumb (he really isn't a mute protagonist nor a blank canvas when it comes to his past) and needlessly complicated things.
(Based on that new audio drama, they might have finally gotten over it though.)

as far as his name being changed to Tidus ruining the theme of the Sun. Well that's a moot point because Western audiences wouldn't even know what Tida references.
Not that it would be keep them from understanding the plot. Good thing, too, considering most Japanese players wouldn't know either (it's an Okinawan-based pun, remember).
And learning a little something about foreign cultures once in a while isn't exactly a bad thing. Does everything always have to be dumbed-down? "Ohnoes, cultural differences! Let's not even try!"

Levyne

Banned
For some reason I can't do it? I learned in on the boat but it's not giving me the option

You have to get Tidus to level 3 by halftime, so that he gets a slot to equip it. The best thing to do for the first half is probably to pass the ball around a bit to get some levels, especially for Tidus.

So yeah, you can only use it in the 2nd half, and only for part of it because of the story, it's a bit annoying.

Squire

Banned
Some great artwork, thanks for linking them!

No problem! I love good fan art. If I find some more noteworthy stuff I'll be sure to post it here.

With a couple of exceptions, I actually really like the remastered soundtrack. I don't like the new Besaid Island, and honestly I'm a bit torn about Wandering Flame. Part of me wants to like the new Wandering Flame, the other part remembers how it originally was and misses it.

However a great number of tracks which sounded really synthesized have greatly benefited from the remastering with use of real instruments. I love the new To Zanarkand and Besaid Village themes, for instance. The use of leitmotif has always been evident in FFX and I really like the new Tidus, Yuna, and especially the new Auron themes. I think I remember someone getting mad about Someday the Dream Will End and I'm just not understanding why, the moment I heard the new version of this in the menu you select which game you want to play in the PS3 version I really liked it.

The new boss themes are great too, though I'm not sure how I feel about the new regular battle theme. It feels like they tried to pile on too much new stuff on the new battle theme just because they could and the cacophony feels overwhelming.

I see. The Besaid Village theme is another one I wish they'd left alone. The new version is good, but I notice they skipped to the version you hear upon revisiting Besaid/Kilika in the original game. I miss the little flourish that played at the end of the first version of the original.

The battle theme is good. I do agree it's a little busy. I enjoy my music a little cacophonous, bits it's not needed here.

Cheese? As in restart lol? But yeah this match is fucking bullshit. They scored two points in half time. By the time I finally managed to get the ball to Tidus it was half time -__-. Second half of the match just started. Wish me luck D:

First half = camp your own goalpost, pass ball around to level up.
Second half = camp again, get Tidus a clear shot (he can break the one player defending against him), do a Jecht/Sphere Shot for a guaranteed score, then camp your goalpost again

Flandy

You have to get Tidus to level 3 by halftime, so that he gets a slot to equip it. The best thing to do for the first half is probably to pass the ball around a bit to get some levels, especially for Tidus.

So yeah, you can only use it in the 2nd half, and only for part of it because of the story, it's a bit annoying.
Yeah for some reason the game just completely fucked me over the first half which caused me to do terribly the second one too.
First half = camp your own goalpost, pass ball around to level up.
Second half = camp again, get Tidus a clear shot (he can break the one player defending against him), do a Jecht/Sphere Shot for a guaranteed score, then camp your goalpost again
Sweet thanks. Just going to reload my save point.

ramyeon

Not that it would be keep them from understanding the plot. Good thing, too, considering most Japanese players wouldn't know either (it's an Okinawan-based pun, remember).
And learning a little something about foreign cultures once in a while isn't exactly a bad thing. Does everything always have to be dumbed-down? "Ohnoes, cultural differences! Let's not even try!"
Changing names slightly to be more appealing isn't really dumbing down. It's not like they renamed him John or something, come on.

And yes, I know learning about other cultures is not a bad thing. You're preaching to the choir, I speak three languages and have lived and gone to school/university in 3 different countries before.

Being trilingual I also understand the woes and efforts that translators go through, and while translators may sometimes make questionable choices, this is hardly one of them.

Wounded

Never played the games, totally torn between the Vita version and the PS3 one. I lean toward Vita because at the moment I have no real space for my PS3. How is the Vita version?

Flandy

Fuck you Goers. Fuck you Blitzball. Did I understand something wrong or does Blitzball only follow the rules it showed me when it feels like it or is it the random aspect thats making me rage? I swear I have the stats to do something and the enemy doesn't and yet I fail with the move and they succeed. wtf is this bs -__- Here I go again :l

Erigu

Changing names slightly to be more appealing isn't really dumbing down.
No, but the logic behind it feels disturbingly close to the good old "then again, it's the foreign kid's fault if his name sounds dumb". A bit of a shitty/backwards posture, and I think we'd all be better off if it eroded away sooner rather than later.

leng jai

Never played the games, totally torn between the Vita version and the PS3 one. I lean toward Vita because at the moment I have no real space for my PS3. How is the Vita version?

Do you see yourself finishing a long JRPG on a home console? That's probably the most important factor - most people who get it on Vita are doing it because they don't see themselves sitting on their PS3 for another 50 hours. Do you have decent speakers hooked up? The PS3 version's audio is better for sure - they spent quite a bit of time on the audio mix by the sounds of it.

Levyne

Banned
Fuck you Goers. Fuck you Blitzball. Did I understand something wrong or does Blitzball only follow the rules it showed me when it feels like it or is it the random aspect thats making me rage? I swear I have the stats to do something and the enemy doesn't and yet I fail with the move and they succeed. wtf is this bs -__- Here I go again :l

oh

There's dice rolls / randomness involved. I'm sure someone's figured out the exact mechanics, but the short of it is that a SH>CA won't always score, but at the same time, the opposite can also occur.

ramyeon

No, but the logic behind it feels disturbingly close to the good old "then again, it's the foreign kid's fault if his name sounds dumb". A bit of a shitty/backwards posture, and I think we'd all be better off if it eroded away sooner rather than later.
In the case of Tida/Tidus it isn't. They're both just as unusual for English names as one another.

In fact I don't even know what you're getting at because Tida would be an odd name for a Japanese person too.

If it was a case of changing the names just because they sound foreign then they would've changed Yuna, Wakka etc too.

I can think of a lot of cases where this is or has been a problem but FFX isn't really one of them and I think you're making something out of nothing.

pariah164

LOL text from a friend of mine.

"OMG do not listen to the audio thing. Don't do it. Ever. TRUST ME."

The thing must've been spawned from Satan himself.

Erigu

In the case of Tida/Tidus it isn't. They're both just as unusual for English names as one another.
If you don't think that's why they changed the name, I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "more appealing".

EDIT: I should probably add that this is all if the decision to spell the name as "Tidus" in alphabet despite the kana spelling was motivated by a "-a sounds female, let's change that into a male-sounding -us (and keep Wakka as is because we're not making much sense)" from the US side. It could also simply be Square being Square and coming up with silly kana spelling/alphabet spelling combos.

SirNinja

EDIT: oh shit. Just looked up a trophy guide. You have to learn monster moves. I don't remember a mechanic for refighting bosses. Is there a list for this stuff?

None of those are missable either. This is a good list of where you can get them all (here's one for the Primers as well).

Just heard "Beyond The Darkness" for the first time. It eclipses the original.. so so good.

Hehe...Hamauzu kind of cheated on that one. That's actually a track from a solo album he did back in 2007. (The "new" Via Purifico theme is also just the exact same track from the FFX Piano Collections album.)

ramyeon

If you don't think that's why they changed the name, I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "more appealing".
In the sense that they just thought Tidus was a better/more suitable name period. And I'm inclined to agree, I prefer Tidus to Tida.

Tida is not a real name in Japanese or English, neither is Tidus. So likening it to racism is a stretch. If that were the case, like I said, they would have changed names like Yuna (Which is a real name) as well - but that was left as is.

ramyeon

Anyway, this is taunting me, it's preloaded on my Vita and ready to go but I need to wait for it to be unlocked so I can actually play it. Probably gonna be at least another 5 hours till that happens.

fernoca

Yeah, I've been one the X-2 bandwagon since day one back then. Even had the Yuna, Rikku and Paine figures (sadly sold them on eBay some time later).

It was the whole reason I only wanted X-2 and on Vita. 1080p on the TV would've been nice, but I didn't wanted X and the overall experience would've been kinda similar to back then, just with prettier visuals.

Now, just have X-2..on a portable...with new content and improved visuals and sound (and 3 cards!!).

:)

Banzai

Might get to pick this up today! Hype!

Definitely gonna pick the expert grid this time around. and beat penance.
not so sure about that second goal somehow, though.

Flandy

Yeah, I've been one the X-2 bandwagon since day one back then. Even had the Yuna, Rikku and Paine figures (sadly sold them on eBay some time later).

It was the whole reason I only wanted X-2 and on Vita. 1080p on the TV would've been nice, but I didn't wanted X and the overall experience would've been kinda similar to back then, just with prettier visuals.

Now, just have X-02..on a portable...with new content.

:)
I'm excited to get play X-2 again just because Spira is really interesting after the events of X. Also, I suck at the combat in X-2 :(

How'd you get X-2 without X?

Darkone

The ability to put the Vita in sleep mode and then get right back where you left off is so awesome.
Great reason to go for the Vita version.

fernoca

I'm excited to get play X-2 again just because Spira is really interesting after the events of X. Also, I suck at the combat in X-2 :(

How'd you get X-2 without X?
Retail copy, X is a cart, X-2 is digital and I'm mostly digital currently. Traded X and ended at $23.49 for the game and 3 cards. :p

HeelPower

Are Dona and Barthello
Making out in the ship corridor ? and Dona says "Some people can be so rude" when you talk to her ????

LOL

Flandy

Retail copy, X is a cart, X-2 is digital and I'm mostly digital currently. Traded X and ended at $23.49 for the game and 3 cards. :p
That's a great deal. Hope you enjoy the remaster. Certainlly been enjoying how good X looks on the Vita. dat art style and new higher res assets are hnnnng.

Same here. Literally just fist bumped the air and probably woke my wife and daughter. Not a single fuck is given.

Me to you atm
teen-nick-gif-hug-me-brotha.gif

Are Dona and Barthello
Making out in the ship corridor ? and Dona says "Some people can be so rude" when you talk to her ????

LOL

Yep :lol

If you talk to Female luca goers they call you cute and one of them asks if you "want to have some fun?"

Yes, it is. Be in overdrive, Grand Summon Valefor, Energy Blast, ???????, PROFIT.

You get an Echo Ring if you beat her, Seeker's Ring if you lose.

Ah thanks.

Btw, what are you guys doing with Kimahri on the Sphere Grid? I have him still sitting at the start of my expert sphere grid cause I'm not really sure which direction to take him. Suggestions?

Levyne

Banned
My Kimarhi is pretty beastly. Oddly enough I sent him sort of Rikku's way, (to the right and up), grabbing cure and esuna (and a strength +4 and +3) on the way. Not only is he pretty strong, but having steal and use early was pretty nice. He's kind of heading towards pilfer gil.

Anyway, I have to turn in. Got to the Thunderplains, made some Lightning Ward armor, finally able to rotate in the whole team, pretty cool :)

Falk

that puzzling face
Man, replaying this reminds me of what great lengths Tidus went to being such a completely dis-likable shitbag early on.

You had one job, to come back on time for a Blitzball match. One job. What the fuck, really. I don't care if it's poor writing or a justified plot device or a character arc. Unreliable people are the absolute fucking worst. I mean really. You spend the first three hours of the game raving about how you play to win, then you make yourself look like a spoilt dick with a megaphone, then you just disappear and leave everyone hanging. Ok man. Ok, I get it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
They should just give Tidus a default name, like Mass Effect's Shepard.

It's totally weird that none of the person he knows, including his dad, his mentor figure, his friends that he poured sweat and blood with, and even for hell's sake the supposed love of his life never *ever* call him by name, only a variation of "you" or "him."

Levyne

Banned
They should just give Tidus a default name, like Mass Effect's Shepard.

It's totally weird that none of the person he knows, including his dad, his mentor figure, his friends that he sweat blood with, and even for hell's sake the supposed love of his life never *ever* call him by name, only a variation of "you" or "him."

But the Aurochs and other minor characters do! Sometimes!

Yeah, it's clumsy.

HeelPower

Yep :lol

If you talk to Female luca goers they call you cute and one of them asks if you "want to have some fun?"

lol hilarious...and the guys say the girls are brewing trouble or something to that extent! hilarious moments...

I love eavesdropping on wakka and lulu in the ship as well...I think the voice acting really conveys that wakka and lulu go way back...pretty awesome.

And doing jecht shot to fight the memories of course!

Top Bottom