• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoh

thanks for the info..

so i should wait for the server merge to happen? figures the 2 servers i would want are closed for new characters and transfers

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
Did you really think you could take that on by yourself?

Rawk Hawk said:
lol Tek, that's unfortunate. How much dmg did you do to him?

I think I managed to put a small dent in it...not much though. Kinda figured "Hey its in Tavnazia, I should be able to take it down". :lol

Raoh said:
is this where everyone from gaf is playing?

for ffxiv and other mmorpg's i might start tagging along the shadowing (or stalking take your pick) the gaf community to be a part of a larger in game community

cause could start this week on fairy.. i would lose the 400k i have though.. world transfer would be $25 :( that's just insane

are people doing missions still or are people so far up that helping on low rank missions too much of a chore for the community at large?

sorry for the questions.. its just a big deal starting over..

ahh, i could always start over with a new content id and if i dont like it i can go back to my old garuda server character..

is there a gaf guild i can join on fairy?

Do it. Someone is always up for doing earlier missions, and with the server merge happening among other things, there should be a decent population spike. Stars of Destiny isnt just GAF only, so theres more than enough help to go around.

And of course obligatory Stars of Destiny youtube playlist post for linkshell publicity

Raoh said:
thanks for the info..

so i should wait for the server merge to happen? figures the 2 servers i would want are closed for new characters and transfers

Yeah wait till after the merge. Also as one who has taken the name of the Fist King, you must level monk.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Rentahamster said:
Did you really think you could take that on by yourself?
Eh? I fought it randomly recently. I was raping it until it petrified me through shadows. It took him a few minutes to knock off the shadows I had up before that. Still petrified... Then it started hitting me occasionally for 300+ damage. Still petrified... FML. If not for that one move, it would be a complete joke, though.

Tabris

Rentahamster said:
So have the mechanics of farming changed any? When I used to play 7 years ago I remember running around low level zones making a huge train of monsters, then doing the AoE staff WS earthcrusher and killing them all in one shot.

I never leveled my THF higher than 25, so I didn't get to try it with the AoE dagger WS cyclone, though I always wanted to. I had also always wondered if I could party with a BLM, gather a train, cyclone, then use a ga spell to finish them off for some fast farming goodness. Never got to do that, either.

There is so many things to make gil on if you have the time. That's the key, the time. Like fishing + cooking to 100 takes an extremely long time but can be very profitable without needing any initial capital (make gil with fishing while skilling up then use that gil to skill cooking, once you get 100+3ish you can start t3 HQ'ing some nice recipes)

Now I'm all about the quick buck personally. Quick bucks in this game require either some good luck or some initial capital. I've made a good chunk of my gil 2 different ways.

1) ENM's duo or dual-boxed solo. This can be extremely great for gil but requires skill to solo or duo, and some luck on the drops. If you do it every week (about 2hrs a week required), it averages out in the end. Hagun's (3m), Hedgehog Bomb (1m), etc. One month I got 2 Hagun's and 1 Forager's Mantle dual-boxing. That's 6.5m direct to me.

2) Buying low and Reselling high. This requires high amount of initial capital to do and sometimes requires you to wait on items before re-selling. Sometimes can make an insane amount of profit if willing to server hop mules every 6 months. I've doubled up 10m before doing this. Harder to do this now due to the economy evening out across the servers more and more.

Otherwise, for you, I recommend making gil by doing quests first. The economy is cheap on gil enough that the gil you get from the quests is good, and selling scrolls you get from quests can really add up. That's a good way to start. You can probabaly get 1M gil by doing most of the quests.

Then you can figure out after that whether you want to invest time or not. Quests are at least fun. Fishing/Cooking is fun for the accomplishment of skilling up but it's a huge timesink you may hate.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tabris said:
There is so many things to make gil on if you have the time. That's the key, the time. Like fishing + cooking to 100 takes an extremely long time but can be very profitable without needing any initial capital (make gil with fishing while skilling up then use that gil to skill cooking, once you get 100+3ish you can start t3 HQ'ing some nice recipes)

Now I'm all about the quick buck personally. Quick bucks in this game require either some good luck or some initial capital. I've made a good chunk of my gil 2 different ways.

1) ENM's duo or dual-boxed solo. This can be extremely great for gil but requires skill to solo or duo, and some luck on the drops. If you do it every week (about 2hrs a week required), it averages out in the end. Hagun's (3m), Hedgehog Bomb (1m), etc. One month I got 2 Hagun's and 1 Forager's Mantle dual-boxing. That's 6.5m direct to me.

2) Buying low and Reselling high. This requires high amount of initial capital to do and sometimes requires you to wait on items before re-selling. Sometimes can make an insane amount of profit if willing to server hop mules every 6 months. I've doubled up 10m before doing this. Harder to do this now due to the economy evening out across the servers more and more.

Otherwise, for you, I recommend making gil by doing quests first. The economy is cheap on gil enough that the gil you get from the quests is good, and selling scrolls you get from quests can really add up. That's a good way to start. You can probabaly get 1M gil by doing most of the quests.

Then you can figure out after that whether you want to invest time or not. Quests are at least fun. Fishing/Cooking is fun for the accomplishment of skilling up but it's a huge timesink you may hate.

Huh. When I used to play I never bothered with crafting. I didn't really understand it too well at the time (and neither did a lot of people since the game just came out).

I had some luck camping NMs with my lvl 50-something DRG.

I vaguely remember doing stuff like selling tiger fangs to an JPC in Jeuno since that was fairly profitable.

I never did have enough initial income to do stuff like play the markets, though.

Is there anything to that whole AoE attacks reduce drop rates thing that jiggle mentioned earlier? I remember doing that a lot back in the day. Perhaps it was more for lolz than for gil.

One of the things that has gotten me interested i resubscribing is the whole storyline quest stuff. When I was playing, the NA client hadn't come out yet, and at the time my Japanese was just so-so. I did a lot of quest stuff without knowing what was going on half the time, and relying on my Japanese friends to help me through it. If i were to play it again, I could finally understand what the whole point of everything was :lol

I hear the story's nice, but I have no idea :lol

Is there a time limit for reactivating a deleted POL account and character? The last server I played on was Fairy, but that was like, 5 years ago when I deleted my character.

Rawk Hawk

I'm really tempted to pick it on STEAM for 10EUR. Help me GAF, lot of people said it's great and the story is awesome. Can I play it alone or in party of 5? Does the game have instances like WoW?

bluemax

Banned
demigod said:
Ultimate Collection is $7.50 on steam today only, get it quick!

I did but I'm not sure I'm going to reinstall this. I'm afraid that the game is even worse than I remember it being.

Freyjadour said:
There any way to know what servers are available for transfer without logging into POL Viewer? Or rather, if Fairy/Slyph are?

I don't think so. Wait till after the update when the open them up again.

Freyjadour said:
So they're currently closed all together? Totally out of the loop on this stuff.

I think they closed fairy and sylph in preparation for the update, but I could be wrong on that. I'm going by what other people have said. You'd best wait till after the update, then join sylph anyway.

Raoh

TAJ said:
Eh? I fought it randomly recently. I was raping it until it petrified me through shadows. It took him a few minutes to knock off the shadows I had up before that. Still petrified... Then it started hitting me occasionally for 300+ damage. Still petrified... FML. If not for that one move, it would be a complete joke, though.

hmm mnk is one of the few jobs i never took over 18..

instead of going for drk and bst again i could go for monk and bst...

guess it would be more interesting and fun to level something new..

probably be cheaper too

Teknoman

Tabris said:
My account + an old friend's account, you alt-tab between windower sessions. So i.e. play 2 characters.

Oh thats how people do that. :lol I always thought they had two PCs or a PS2/360 nearby.

Raoh

Teknoman said:
Oh thats how people do that. :lol I always thought they had two PCs or a PS2/360 nearby.

I used to play eqoa with two ps2's, leveled up my bard and paladin side by side when guild mates weren't on

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I just bought FFXI on steam because it was $7.50 and FF is my favorite series ever and I've loved FFXI for so long through the soundtracks and artbooks but I've never actually played it, so I will finally give it a try.

I've never played an MMO in my life. Was going to wait and have FFXIV be my first, but this sale was so cheap I figure even if I only play a month and quit I should still get $7.50 worth.

What am I in for?

Bebpo said:
Ok, I just bought FFXI on steam because it was $7.50 and FF is my favorite series ever and I've loved FFXI for so long through the soundtracks and artbooks but I've never actually played it, so I will finally give it a try.

I've never played an MMO in my life. Was going to wait and have FFXIV be my first, but this sale was so cheap I figure even if I only play a month and quit I should still get $7.50 worth.

What am I in for?

A lot of patience? :p

If you've never played an MMO though, you may have a better experience than others coming from newer ones.

jiggle

i always thought duo windower is a big no no in FFXI?
since 2 accounts would have the exact same ip?

Bebpo said:
What am I in for?

so much fun! most of gaf members are going to be on sylph, remember!

Teknoman

What Jiggle said. Alot of the time people have to hit the scene with no one else to help/meet people and make connections from scratch. Here, you can join the server with the most GAF players on it, and you should be able to get a decent headstart if anything.

So, I bought this for 360, the ultimate collection. Can i get on and find people from GAF to play with? I'm a total 100% MMO newb but it's the only final fantasy I haven't played. I do have a keyboard to use.

Bebpo

Banned
jiggle said:
so much fun! most of gaf members are going to be on sylph, remember!

Do you get to choose your server? I'm still downloading/installing the game. Will start it up tonight when it's all done and ready.

Teknoman

SonOfABeep said:
So, I bought this for 360, the ultimate collection. Can i get on and find people from GAF to play with? I'm a total 100% MMO newb but it's the only final fantasy I haven't played. I do have a keyboard to use.

Probably Sylph if you cant create on fairy (I think the upcoming server merge between the two prevents it). Both you and Bebpo: Just play it the same as you would a normal FF game...just with lots more player characters than NPCs. Thats what I do anyway.

jiggle

Bebpo said:
Do you get to choose your server? I'm still downloading/installing the game. Will start it up tonight when it's all done and ready.

yeah you can choose server

i don't know how it'll work over the next few days
but gaf members are actually mostly on Fairy, which is getting absorbed into Sylph in 3(?) days
so if u choose either one of those 2 servers you'll be good

Teknoman

Full info post:

Announcing the World Merge

To allow players to enjoy all the content the game has to offer, we will be performing a World Merge.

Please refer to the "Guidance on the World Merge" for more details.

[Guidance on the World Merge]

- Schedule
World Merge will be performed during the upcoming version update. Once the version update is complete, characters from the "Source Worlds" will be migrated automatically to the "Destination Worlds".

* The schedule for the version update will be released at a later date.

- Details on the World Merge
The following is a list of worlds designated for the World Merge.
Source World Destination World

Fairy -> Sylph
Kujata -> Valefor
Remora -> Leviathan
Midgardsormr -> Quetzarcoatl
Hades -> Cerberus
Seraph -> Bismarck
Garuda -> Lakshmi
Pandemonium -> Asura

* Other worlds will not be affected.

- Things to note for the World Merge
Character Data:
Other than the data listed below, all character data will be transferred to the new world. This includes character status, belongings, gil and key items.

Character Name:
In cases where a character with the same name already exists on the "Destination World," you may be required to change the name of your character. If this is necessary, your character name on the character selection screen before login will be displayed in yellow. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the change.

Changing the character name will not affect data such as your Friends List.

Items stored in the Delivery Box or Auction House:
Items and gil stored in the Delivery Box or Auction House will be deleted automatically when the World Merge takes place. Please move them to your character's belongings or Mog Safe before the World Merge.

Please note that items and gil lost in the merge cannot be restored through the Item Restoration service.

Linkshell, Pearlsack and Linkpearl:
Pearlsacks and Linkpearls cannot be carried over to the "Destination World," and will disappear during the World Merge. Linkshell owners will receive an unopened Linkshell when they log into the "Destination World" for the first time. Unopened Linkshells will not be affected by the merge.

Please note that you will need to create a new Linkshell Community after creating a new linkshell on the "Destination World."

- Suspension of the World Transfer Service
The World Transfer service will be suspended from Mar. 9, 2010 7:00 PST until the World Merge is complete.

- Suspension of the Character Reactivation Service
The Character Reactivation Service will be suspended from Mar. 9, 2010 7:00 PST until the World Merge is complete.

- Regarding the worlds Odin and Bahamut
After the World Merge is complete, the following services will be reinstated:

Character transfers to Odin/Bahamut.
Creating a new character on Odin/Bahamut.
Issuing a Gold World Pass on Odin/Bahamut.

*Due to the phrase that may cause misunderstanding, this announcement was corrected on Mar. 1, 2010 4:00 PST.

*Due to the schedule on suspension of the Character Reactivation Service being incorrect, this announcement was updated on Mar. 2, 2010 22:15 PST.

Character Creation Suspended on Multiple Worlds

As part of preparation for the World Merge, the following services have been suspended on 16 worlds that are designated as Source Worlds and Destination Worlds. These services are scheduled to be reinstated upon the completion of the World Merge.

[Affected Services]
- Creating new characters on designated worlds
- Issuing Gold World Pass on designated worlds

[Affected Worlds]
Sylph/Valefor/Leviathan/Quetzalcoatl/Pandemonium
Garuda/Cerberus/Kujata/Bismarck/Seraph/Lakshmi
Asura/Midgardsormr/Fairy/Remora/Hades

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Hmm looks like you guys are going to have to wait to join the party.

Teknoman said:
Probably Sylph if you cant create on fairy (I think the upcoming server merge between the two prevents it). Both you and Bebpo: Just play it the same as you would a normal FF game...just with lots more player characters than NPCs. Thats what I do anyway.

I think both are closed until after the merge. Couldn't find either on the list last night.

Bebpo

Banned
If that's the case, I'll wait until the move to start. I want to make sure I'm on a server with friendly people.

Bebpo said:
If that's the case, I'll wait until the move to start. I want to make sure I'm on a server with friendly people.

It is definitely a better experience with folks you know. XI is very people oriented and most tasks require the help of several people provided you don't want to wait until higher levels to complete them. Now that the game has been out for so long, quite a large % of the game's population are years and years beyond the sort of quests you'll have to take on as a new player (such as the subjob quest).

As such, not being in a friendly (or even one in which you have previous affiliations with people such as GAF) LS will make your experience much less enjoyable.

Seeing as you haven't played MMOs before though, this is a much different experience than say World of Warcraft. You could pretty much get to decent preparation for the highest tier of content in WoW without befriending a single person. Still less enjoyable, but not nearly to the degree it is in XI.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Bebpo said:
Heh, you're gonna subscribe too? I'm currently debating whether to do that at the moment. It would be good to know that I wouldn't be the only totally new char.

Resubbed. Figure I'll get a little farther than I did in my trial period from December and increase my chances for a XIV invite.

See you all after the merge (assuming I can transfer to Sylph).

Reknoc

Damn been waiting for it to be on Steam here for a while and at £10 made it even better. Shame it refuses to work on my computer. Playonline viewer crashes before even starting up and installing the one from the site doesn't help either. :/

Raoh

Nakazato said:

spoke to a guy named andrew there.. i dont have my original registration code info, my original credit card info so he aint budging..

trying to figure out if there are other ways of acquiring my account..

i was ready to give up but i was just at ffxiah.com looking up some items and came across my old auction house history...

http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=160920

Garuda.Bronx
San d'Oria 6 | Tried and Tested Knight
60BST/30NIN
LS Community Profile
Last scanned: 17 Months

made me very sad to not be able log it in seeing how its already a rank 6

Raoh said:
spoke to a guy named andrew there.. i dont have my original registration code info, my original credit card info so he aint budging..

trying to figure out if there are other ways of acquiring my account..

i was ready to give up but i was just at ffxiah.com looking up some items and came across my old auction house history...

http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=160920

Garuda.Bronx
San d'Oria 6 | Tried and Tested Knight
60BST/30NIN
LS Community Profile
Last scanned: 17 Months

made me very sad to not be able log it in seeing how its already a rank 6

you are pretty much out of luck if you don't have any of the registration codes

even if you call multiple times to speak to different reps, you're going to be told the same thing

Raoh

PandaPandaPanda said:
you are pretty much out of luck if you don't have any of the registration codes

even if you call multiple times to speak to different reps, you're going to be told the same thing

Man that blows..

Raoh said:
Man that blows..

as much as I hate SE's crappy customer service both in game and through their support center, what's to stop say me from calling their support center saying im you and I want to get access to the account but I don't have the card number that's assigned to the account and the registration codes?

Before you say "but my name on the account" while it's kind of extreme, what's to stop me (if i knew your name etc) from getting a fake id made? yeah kind of extreme but just saying.

you may as well either decide if it's worth it to start a new character or not

personally I don't think it's worth it since I got tired of the game after leveling 8 jobs to 75 but that's just me.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Every goddamn time i see a FFXI thread and come to read a bit to see whats going on with the game, it makes me want to reinstall it and recover my character, i've got a 70RDM thats getting dusty in the servers :(

Llyranor

I can't believe I'm asking this, but can this game be played basically as a regular FF but in co-op (say, 4 players)? I meant just going through the story mode. No farming, no grinding, no repeating quests multiple times (and perhaps avoiding most sidequests altogether); just playing normally through the story, pacing-wise being fairly similar to your typical FF.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Llyranor said:
I can't believe I'm asking this, but can this game be played basically as a regular FF but in co-op (say, 4 players)? I meant just going through the story mode. No farming, no grinding, no repeating quests multiple times (and perhaps avoiding most sidequests altogether); just playing normally through the story, pacing-wise being fairly similar to your typical FF.

Unlikely, the mission rewards in both items and XP will not carry you on to the end game. You will have to grind XP and buy armor/weapons thus needing to make cash. But i think the reputation FFXI got for grinding is overrated, it wasnt that bad to begin with compared to older MMORPGs and they made it a whole lot easier in the past years with plenty of items to help you XP.

Mandoric

Banned
Llyranor said:

Not really. In a straight 1-50 and kill the SL, you will probably kill the same amount of monsters as a single-player FF, but there will be at least one swap back from 25->1, if you don't get phenomenally lucky with drops gear will be an issue, and even with modern nerfs you'll be facing a very tough final battle with very limited resources and very little practice with the battle system itself.

If you had a benefactor or bought gil, you could with luck and planning make it to the end of the original mission structure in about 60 hours playtime--40 killing things, ten running around, and ten completing missions. It would require a lot of focus, a level of skill even a lot of experienced players lack, and some very specific choices, though.

Velion

Terproerg said:
Well i just rebought this game. What realm should i goto again to join up with you guys?
We're on Fairy at the moment but no one can create there nor Sylph (the server we're merging with when update happens). So you'll have to wait to create a char until update/merger has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom