• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
Unlikely, the mission rewards in both items and XP will not carry you on to the end game. You will have to grind XP and buy armor/weapons thus needing to make cash. But i think the reputation FFXI got for grinding is overrated, it wasnt that bad to begin with compared to older MMORPGs and they made it a whole lot easier in the past years with plenty of items to help you XP.

FFXI is group oriented. It's not much of a grind if you are an in demand job, but the grind itself its significantly more than what you get in WoW.

Item drops are also rarer, due to the game structure and difficulty is way higher for end game events.

I think WoW kiddies would all quit game if they had to grind an event like Salvage where cell distribution is required, and coordination/strategy is paramount.

Do you unlock the melee and get extra damage early or do you give more healinf? Kill more of one mob to possibly get lucky and unlocked earlier or run up the tower as fast as you can? And even after all that you're expected to fight bosses without being fully unlocked in some cases.

And even after doing it all perfectly, nothing may drop that day.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sighhhhh

4434190531_bfdfc986f0_o.jpg

I'm going to transfer to Fairy. There is nothing left for me on Pandy :(

Nakazato

Teknoman said:
I will take this guy down one day:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Sea_Horror

Still owe him for killing damn near everyone on the ship around FFXI launch.
:lol :lol :lol

it seems like everytime i was on that boat he'd pop ive been killed by him at least 25 times

_tetsuo_ said:
Sighhhhh

4434190531_bfdfc986f0_o.jpg

yea im think about coming back and play with the gaf crew as well i just need to get my finances in order

hteng

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
Sighhhhh
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2766/4434190531_bfdfc986f0_o.jpg[/IMG]

i'm from pandy, but i rarely go online nowadays and my shell is pretty deserted, i guess i'm very sentimental, i didn't feel like transferring. character name is Danorille in case you wanna hang out.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Buggy Loop said:
Is there going to be a return home to vana'diel coming up soon?
You can reactivate at any time.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Argh goddamn, this game wins again, this is like freaking Deus ex, everytime its mentioned someone is reinstalling it. I'll see you guys a bit later tonight or tomorow..

"Fees will be incurred once the character reactivation process has been completed. The fee is $12.95 (USD) for the first character, and $1.00 (USD) for each additional character beyond the first. Payments will be due the month following reactivation. "

Is that fee solely for the reactivation or is that the normal monthly fee to play?

Nakazato

Buggy Loop said:
Argh goddamn, this game wins again, this is like freaking Deus ex, everytime its mentioned someone is reinstalling it. I'll see you guys a bit later tonight or tomorow..

"Fees will be incurred once the character reactivation process has been completed. The fee is $12.95 (USD) for the first character, and $1.00 (USD) for each additional character beyond the first. Payments will be due the month following reactivation. "

Is that fee solely for the reactivation or is that the normal monthly fee to play?
normal monthly irc but i would start back up the 1st of april since you'd only be paying for 15 days this month

So I bought the Ultimate collection off of steam fro 7.49. Thought Id give it one more go. I can't find a damn POL key though :( anyone else have this problem with the steam purchase?

edit: nvm I am an idiot

cory

Banned
I'm trying to play the trial, but I accidentally gave my email to the Euro site instead of US.
When I try for a US code with a different address, it says it cannot be sent.
If I give the same address, it sends me the same European code.

Just a reminder for all you folks registering the game again, remember to wait till the first of the month to actually "sign up."

Several reasons for this:
-SE bills on the first of the month, doing this means you get more bang for your buck
-Fairy and Sylph are being merged into Sylph, currently both servers are closed. They will be back open after the update and merger this month.

Looking forward to the new faces!

fuck. Why is fairy and sylph closed?!?! Now i just feel like an idiot. So because I got the content id today, they will charge me Apr. 1st? before the 30 days are even over?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Oh, so Fairy is closed for 2 weeks? Not that I was in a rush to get back or anything, just seems like a long time to be closed. Guess they want to make sure there aren't too many similar names. Have they talked about what happens in the case of same names?

Lonestar said:
Oh, so Fairy is closed for 2 weeks? Not that I was in a rush to get back or anything, just seems like a long time to be closed. Guess they want to make sure there aren't too many similar names. Have they talked about what happens in the case of same names?

I think they mean "closed to new character creation and transfers", not completely shut down.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Robobandit said:
I think they mean "closed to new character creation and transfers", not completely shut down.

Well then, nevermind on what I said :lol

Though, wonder how the naming thing will work.

demigod

Broadbandito said:
fuck. Why is fairy and sylph closed?!?! Now i just feel like an idiot. So because I got the content id today, they will charge me Apr. 1st? before the 30 days are even over?

You got your content ID back or is it a new account? You will be charged twice on April 1st, for March+April. There is no 30 days free, it is only the month that you create it on that is free.

demigod said:
You got your content ID back or is it a new account? You will be charged twice on April 1st, for March+April. There is no 30 days free, it is only the month that you create it on that is free.

new account. Thats fucking retarded

and on steam it says

"Notice:
Included with your purchase of FINAL FANTASY XI is 30 days of free time. The subscription for this game requires a valid credit card that supports Verified by Visa® or MasterCard SecureCode®.
For those customers that do not have a credit card that supports Verified by Visa® or MasterCard SecureCode®, Square Enix is able to assist you with creating an account. For additional information on this, please go here"

Shouta

Broadbandito said:
new account. Thats fucking retarded

and on steam it says

"Notice:
Included with your purchase of FINAL FANTASY XI is 30 days of free time. The subscription for this game requires a valid credit card that supports Verified by Visa® or MasterCard SecureCode®.
For those customers that do not have a credit card that supports Verified by Visa® or MasterCard SecureCode®, Square Enix is able to assist you with creating an account. For additional information on this, please go here"

Doesn't kick in until you activate as I recall.

zlatko

Banned
Crazy that a lot of Gaf plays on Fairy as that was my server for 6 years.

You guys remember the infamous Poof on that server? God that girl was a greasy nerd with no life and such a beyotch.

Shout out to Vegetto! The best MNK ever and my best bud from that game I made. :lol

Kandinsky

zlatko said:
Crazy that a lot of Gaf plays on Fairy as that was my server for 6 years.

You guys remember the infamous Poof on that server? God that girl was a greasy nerd with no life and such a beyotch.

Shout out to Vegetto! The best MNK ever and my best bud from that game I made. :lol
So weird that you dont like her, iirc Poof and Vegetto were like the best friends ever!!111

I just activated last night......:(
Looks like Ill get charged twice. oh wtf square have you never heard of custom billing cycles?

Is the sylph server up yet? Could I join it and then join up with the neogaf peeps?

Jbird34

YuriLowell said:
Looks like Ill get charged twice. oh wtf square have you never heard of custom billing cycles?

Is the sylph server up yet? Could I join it and then join up with the neogaf peeps?

Probably wont be open until the 23rd, that is the speculative date for the March Update

Rawk Hawk

YuriLowell said:

Well what it does is uses the date you sign up as the date you leave as well. So in a round about way you do get the full month.

Example:
Sign up on the 15th, come the 1st you get billed for two full months. If you called and cancelled your acct that day, you would get to play until the 14th. Regardless when you call to cancel, you will get to continue playing until the 14th of the next month.

That's how it worked at least when I quit back in 2008, changes very well could have been made since then.

Jbird34

Rawk Hawk said:
Well what it does is uses the date you sign up as the date you leave as well. So in a round about way you do get the full month.

Example:

This is correct for former members reactivating their old accounts. For the people who are starting fresh with 30 day free trial, if you activated on Mar 15 you will not get billed until May 1 and they would prorate the time in between the 30 free days and the end of the billing cycle.

demigod

On Mar. 22 from 8:00 to 20:00 (PDT)/ Mar. 22 15:00 to Mar. 23 3:00 (GMT), We will be performing maintenance on all Worlds. During the maintenance, Final Fantasy XI will be unavailable for play.

During this maintenance, this World will go through a world merge. Please be sure to retrieve your items in the delivery service, delivery box, and from the auction house.

Damn pretty long maintenance, I guess I'll be playing FFXIII at that time!

Raoh

vwwck1.jpg

Found my account, had it in an old .pst file at work :dance::dance::dance::dance:

31 Warrior
19 White Mage
37 Red Mage
11 Paladin
60 Beastmaster
30 Dragoon
10 Puppetmaster
24 Monk
18 Black Mage
37 Thief
55 Dark Knight
37 Ninja

Rank 6

Roughly a million in Gil :D

A shit load of Gear

Amneisac

Man, I really want to play again. My character is on Midgardsormr, and I'd really rather play on Sylph so I can get in on the GAF action, but that $25 is killing me!

It also sucks because over the years I have had three accounts and I only have the PlayOnline IDs for two of them. The one I'm missing was my original account and it has my highest level character (55 PLD). Unfortunately I don't have the game discs anymore and I have no idea what credit card I used so I doubt there's anyways I could get the PlayOnline ID again.

B-Dex

All the FFXIV hype and talk about how much fun everyone is having is making me wanna reinstall.

Sucks I can't go to Fairy until the 23rd though :S.

Amneisac

Well, I got my PlayOnline ID for my old account, but my characters are gone. I was looking at the character reactivation service (it's down now as part of the maintenance). It says it requires the reg. codes, which I also don't have (it's been a long time!) so has anyone had any experience with this? Anyway I can get that character reactivated without the reg. codes?

Another question, can I buy the Vana'diel 2008 collection and use that code to activate all of the expansions on an existing account? They charge a ridiculous price for each of the expansions separately on the Web site. I think I might just have to give up on this old account, I just wanted to play my Paladin!!

Amneisac said:
Well, I got my PlayOnline ID for my old account, but my characters are gone. I was looking at the character reactivation service (it's down now as part of the maintenance). It says it requires the reg. codes, which I also don't have (it's been a long time!) so has anyone had any experience with this? Anyway I can get that character reactivated without the reg. codes?

Another question, can I buy the Vana'diel 2008 collection and use that code to activate all of the expansions on an existing account? They charge a ridiculous price for each of the expansions separately on the Web site. I think I might just have to give up on this old account, I just wanted to play my Paladin!!

You'd probably want to get the new collection that's on steam instead. Comes with more.

Amneisac

So will that actually work? Will it let me use the code on an existing account and give my content IDs access to the expansions? Will I get 30 free days on an existing account?

Ravidrath

Amneisac said:
So will that actually work? Will it let me use the code on an existing account and give my content IDs access to the expansions? Will I get 30 free days on an existing account?

Never done it, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't work. It's 30 Days Free for new accounts only, I believe.

demigod

Amneisac said:

I'm pretty sure you don't need your reg codes for reactivation, just that reactivation is down until the update/merger which is tomorrow. At least I hope they bring it back soon, sucks for the people that cannot make new characters or reactivate. You can get the Ultimate Collection and apply it to your existing account but you won't get 30 days free.

Amneisac said:

You won't get 30 days free, but you will get all the expansions.

Has the switch taken place yet?? I haven't had time to play thanks to this ridiculous semester coming to a close but I should probably log in and rename my character before someone steals my name....

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:
Has the switch taken place yet?? I haven't had time to play thanks to this ridiculous semester coming to a close but I should probably log in and rename my character before someone steals my name....

Dont think so:

Mar. 20, 2010 11:00 [PDT] From: FINAL FANTASY XI
File Size for Mar. 22 Update

Downloadable file size and time required for FINAL FANTASY XI version update that is scheduled on March 22, 2010 8:00 (PDT) are as follow. This is based on 1Mbps DSL environment.

[File size for clients with "Chains of Promathia," "Treasures of Aht Urhgan" and "Wings of the Goddess" installed.]

"PlayStation 2" Version
Downloadable file size: 47.6MB
About 58 minutes

Windows Version
Downloadable file size: 77.0MB
About 7 minutes, 30 seconds

Xbox 360 Version
Downloadable file size: 79.7MB
About 39 minutes, 30 seconds

Gotcha. I'm probably going to deactivate my account for the month of April so I can make it through finals and graduation, but I'll be back in early May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom