• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZetaEpyon

pancakesandsex said:
How much is the key item for entry?

50,000 gil from the same goblin NPCs as the original hourglass. (Which is still available for the dreamlands areas, I suppose.)

Also, I'm down for some new Dynamis exploration tonight.

hgplayer1

ZetaEpyon said:
50,000 gil from the same goblin NPCs as the original hourglass. (Which is still available for the dreamlands areas, I suppose.)

Also, I'm down for some new Dynamis exploration tonight.

Everyone needs the KI though right?

Any idea what the TE mob is?

Dunno how to feel about the monster placement changes. I know I am a lowbie, but I got kind of annoyed when I wanted to explore Zehrun Mines and level my WHM and realized the whole place had changed to extremely high level monsters. Except for a dozen or so low level mobs near the entrance. At first I was excited about the new rewards (higher atck, magic and combat learning skill ups etc) that would come from Grounds of Valor tomes, but unless I am an extremely high level I doubt it will be much use for me. Oh well, I guess I will stick to the FOV stuff and quit complaining.

Alchemy

Ugh, all the new crazy expansions making me want to come back to this....

Before I jump back in I'm a little curious about leveling speed and soloing now. I had major issues with the grinding back when I quit, and sitting around in Jeuno LFG since I made the silly mistake of playing a DPS class. Whats the average leveling speed these days if one tries to solo? Are there any jobs that are way better at it then others or any that can't really do it?

Argh, so tempted to come back. And its only $20 to jump back in with all the up to date content? Fffffffff.

Alchemy said:
Argh, so tempted to come back. And its only $20 to jump back in with all the up to date content? Fffffffff.

Do it, I am for sure after several years off. Starting out on Sylph, joining everyone here. Gonna be great.

Alchemy

paranoidfortean said:
Do it, I am for sure after several years off. Starting out on Sylph, joining everyone here. Gonna be great.

Well I have until the 16th to figure out if I want to return.... but for $20 is really tempting. And if I can join an active LS that just makes it even more tempting. You guys are enablers -.-

Alchemy said:
Well I have until the 16th to figure out if I want to return.... but for $20 is really tempting. And if I can join an active LS that just makes it even more tempting. You guys are enablers -.-
Do it! A friend and I just started up again after not playing for 6 years. We've started from sctach and the game is definitely more friendly than it used to be. Lots of exp adjustments make leveling much faster and easier. I've mostly been duoing with a friend and we hit lvl 30 fairly quickly and with very little trouble.

Alchemy

BentMyWookiee said:
Do it! A friend and I just started up again after not playing for 6 years. We've started from sctach and the game is definitely more friendly than it used to be. Lots of exp adjustments make leveling much faster and easier. I've mostly been duoing with a friend and we hit lvl 30 fairly quickly and with very little trouble.

How much faster? I remember way back when being in a static that grinded an entire week to get to 30 and I felt super accomplished.

Looking up info on all the new stuff currently. So far tempted to try aim for SAM/DNC for focusing on solo/small group play.

ZetaEpyon

Like it matters anyway, you can go back in again after JP midnight!

Edit: Unless you normally did Dynamis on Tuesday nights, I suppose?

Portalbox

I think I might come back once the Abyssea collection is out (May 16 right?). I left around one year ago, right before they finished WoTG, gonna have to start all over since I forgot my POL details. Is there any particular server for us GAF members, or are you guys all over the place?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wow. 9th Anniversary Mog Bonanza to have Relic and Mythic weapon rewards for rank 1

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/guide/mogbon/index.html

I have no clue what magian stage those trials correspond to. Given the last Relic/Mythic bonanza was only 1 marble per account, I'd have to think they're all pre-magian ones.

Nirvana for my SMN, here I come :)

EDIT: According to FFXAH thread, it look like the Relic/Mythc weapons are the level 85 ones, so you'd have to do the last trial on your own.

Portalbox said:
I think I might come back once the Abyssea collection is out (May 16 right?). I left around one year ago, right before they finished WoTG, gonna have to start all over since I forgot my POL details. Is there any particular server for us GAF members, or are you guys all over the place?

Sylph.

Shouta

If I ever got a Empyrean, I don't know which I would get, though I'd definitely lean on the Veragthna or perhaps the Almace.

Alchemy

So if I did want to return, whats the best place to start catching up on updates? I'm finding a lot of older sites with out dated info.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alchemy said:
So if I did want to return, whats the best place to start catching up on updates? I'm finding a lot of older sites with out dated info.

FFXI Wiki is pretty well maintained by the community.

Alchemy said:
How much faster? I remember way back when being in a static that grinded an entire week to get to 30 and I felt super accomplished.

Looking up info on all the new stuff currently. So far tempted to try aim for SAM/DNC for focusing on solo/small group play.
A lot faster. I'm sorry I can't give an exact amount of time, but it's definitely quicker than when I used to play 6 years ago. What I can do is tell you why it's faster.

- The amount of exp recieved from Easy prey enemies has been adjusted. This allows you to solo easier enemies for quick kills while still getting decent exp.

- Very early on you can get an exp ring that will give you bonus exp for each kill for a certain amount of time/exp

- There are Fields of Valor books placed all over the place (usually at the entrance of a zone or at an Outpost). These books offer training regiemes that get you bonus exp. The way this works is that you click on the book and can choose from maybe 5ish training regiemes in a zone. Select one and it'll tell you the requirements (for example, kill 5 crawlers and 3 members of the Yagudo family). When you defeat the specified enemies you will receive a nice bonus chunk of exp. On top of that exp you also get some gil and tabs. Oh yeah, and these are repeatable.

- The tabs that I just mentioned (which you get from those regiemes) can be used at the same Fields of Valor books. You exchange tabs for buffs such as regen, refresh, protect, shell, and reraise. Or you can also exchange tabs to warp back to your home city.

All the stuff that I mentioned above helps speed up exp and allow for easier soloing. And because of that, you aren't required to sit around for hours looking for a party just to gain a single level in dunes. I did a mixture of solo and duoing with a friend all the way up to lvl 30 with little trouble at all. Being able to completely bypass the whole partying in dunes thing was quite awesome.

The Abyssea content also supposidly can allow you to level up to 90 fairly quickly, though I haven't done any of this yet myself. But I did see Talym go from in the mid 40s to lvl 90 in a single day. That's pretty insane and probably much faster than the FFXI that you remember.

ZetaEpyon

BentMyWookiee said:
The Abyssea content also supposidly can allow you to level up to 90 fairly quickly, though I haven't done any of this yet myself. But I did see Talym go from in the mid 40s to lvl 90 in a single day. That's pretty insane and probably much faster than the FFXI that you remember.

Yes, this is true; however, don't expect to do this with your first job. It requires a lot of cruor (or a really generous leech host), and a certain set of circumstances. It's certainly possible to get exp rates of 100k+ per hour in Abyssea, but it's not without downsides and limitations. For example, it's really easy to get behind on skill levels. That's not such an issue if you already have many skills capped out from other jobs, but could be a problem if you don't.

Abyssea is great, just don't want to mislead people as to what to expect right when they start back up again. Overall, leveling up and getting things done is indeed quite a lot easier, for all the reasons BentMyWookie nicely illustrated. Also, having even higher level characters in a linkshell to help out with things makes certain roadblocks easier to overcome. If something used to require a small group of people to help, it's likely that it can now be done by a single level 90, depending on job and situation.

hgplayer1

ZetaEpyon said:
Yes, this is true; however, don't expect to do this with your first job. It requires a lot of cruor (or a really generous leech host), and a certain set of circumstances. It's certainly possible to get exp rates of 100k+ per hour in Abyssea, but it's not without downsides and limitations. For example, it's really easy to get behind on skill levels. That's not such an issue if you already have many skills capped out from other jobs, but could be a problem if you don't.

Abyssea is great, just don't want to mislead people as to what to expect right when they start back up again. Overall, leveling up and getting things done is indeed quite a lot easier, for all the reasons BentMyWookie nicely illustrated. Also, having even higher level characters in a linkshell to help out with things makes certain roadblocks easier to overcome. If something used to require a small group of people to help, it's likely that it can now be done by a single level 90, depending on job and situation.

I dont get why it would cost a lot of cruor to get in one of those exp parties? To buy keys?

Realistically, once a player reaches 30 and can start collecting stones, within a week of that they should be able to get in an exp party whether it be through linkshell friends or just a generous invite and get lots of exp.

Yes skills will suffer but if you level up high enough you can go solo those skill ups just about anywhere. It helps that they made the adjustments to the way skill up points are awarded fairly recently too.

ZetaEpyon

Yes, mainly to buy keys.

In that party when I went from 43 to 90 on Ninja in 12 hours, I burned through about 600 keys. Each key is 500 cruor, so that's 300,000 cruor spent on keys. (That's also the equivalent of around 700,000 gil, based on the cruor gear NPC prices.)

In a random pickup Abyssea group, if you're lucky enough to get in at a low level like that, it's probably to key chests. Certainly, if you get some friends and do dominion ops or something (Altepa dolls or mandies probably), you can still level low jobs very quickly without that expense.

Like I said, it's not impossible by any means, just not something to expect at that level from the average pickup party.

Alchemy

How big is the group of Sylph now? At this point I've about accepted my fate to return on the 16th (when the $20 version with everything goes up), but I'd to avoid reliving running around as a level 1 monk being ignored by Japanese people again. FFXI launch was crazy.

Alchemy said:
How big is the group of Sylph now? At this point I've about accepted my fate to return on the 16th (when the $20 version with everything goes up), but I'd to avoid reliving running around as a level 1 monk being ignored by Japanese people again. FFXI launch was crazy.
Glad you've decided to join us! By "how big is the group," are you asking about the server population? Or the amount of people in the LS?

I don't know the total server population, but I'd say there are usually about 2,500 people online at once on average for Sylph (As far as I know, this is very similar to the amount of people online at once when I used to play back in the day too). Though when I checked the otherday it was about 3,200. I don't know what the English:Japanese speaking ratio is, but most people I've interacted with so far have spoke English. The game still feels very populated to me, but not overcrowded (But that could be because my highest lvl is 30 and the rest of the world has lvl 90 jobs). The noob zones have plenty of mobs to fight and you'll never feel like you have to spend time competing with others or searching for things to kill.

LS-wise, the amount of people online at once varies a bit. It definitely depends on when you're on. There are times late at night where I've been the only one on the LS or 1 of 2 people, and I've also been on when there were enough people that I actually had to scroll down on the Linkshell list to see everyone. I guess on average, I'd say about 4-6 people in the LS are on at one time when I'm online. But it definitely fluctuates and it seems like more people have been online at the same time recently compared to when I joined a couple weeks ago.

hgplayer1

ZetaEpyon said:
Yes, mainly to buy keys.

In that party when I went from 43 to 90 on Ninja in 12 hours, I burned through about 600 keys. Each key is 500 cruor, so that's 300,000 cruor spent on keys. (That's also the equivalent of around 700,000 gil, based on the cruor gear NPC prices.)

In a random pickup Abyssea group, if you're lucky enough to get in at a low level like that, it's probably to key chests. Certainly, if you get some friends and do dominion ops or something (Altepa dolls or mandies probably), you can still level low jobs very quickly without that expense.

Like I said, it's not impossible by any means, just not something to expect at that level from the average pickup party.

Also, I dont think you actually start maximizing exp gains until you are level 75. Still if you get in one of those and can commit the time you will outdo any exp parties you can come across.

Alchemy

My plan currently is

WAR -> 18, unlock subjobs
MNK/WAR -> 30, unlock DNC and SAM
DNC/MNK -> 50
SAM/DNC -> Whatever the hell the new max cap is.

Might juggle in leveling WAR so I can SAM/WAR in parties. Still need to dig through all the new stuff to make sure I'm not uber noobing it up.

Kandinsky

Alchemy said:
My plan currently is

WAR -> 18, unlock subjobs
MNK/WAR -> 30, unlock DNC and SAM
DNC/MNK -> 50
SAM/DNC -> Whatever the hell the new max cap is.

Might juggle in leveling WAR so I can SAM/WAR in parties. Still need to dig through all the new stuff to make sure I'm not uber noobing it up.
Send me a tell in game and ill get you from 30 to 90 in no time!

Name's Ezlyn.

Man, after a 5 year hiatus I'm considering coming back. What's NIN like nowadays? Is /WAR still the preferred SJ? Can it DD now or is the job still relegated to being second-class tank? Does the game run well on X360? You guys are on Sylph, right?

Edit: Sorry, another question: Does the 360 version require a gold subscription? Unfortunately I sold my PC after FFXIV turned out to be dogshit.

ZetaEpyon

Chuck said:
What's NIN like nowadays? Is /WAR still the preferred SJ? Can it DD now or is the job still relegated to being second-class tank? Does the game run well on X360? You guys are on Sylph, right?

Edit: Sorry, another question: Does the 360 version require a gold subscription? Unfortunately I sold my PC after FFXIV turned out to be dogshit.

1. Awesome. Seems to be a top job (particularly in Abyssea) along with other low-delay dual-wielders like Dancer and Thief. (I may be biased as NIN90, THF90, DNC90. :p)
  2. I always go /DNC, but /WAR is probably still good for stuff if you have healers along.
  3. As mentioned, dual-wield jobs all seem to be very good DD now (again, particularly in Abyssea).
  4. No idea, no 360.
  5. Yes, Sylph.
  6. No idea.

If you haven't played in 5 years, you can probably throw away a lot of preconceptions about what you knew. It's a very, very different thing compared to 2 years ago, much less 5.

Loto

Chuck said:
Man, after a 5 year hiatus I'm considering coming back. What's NIN like nowadays? Is /WAR still the preferred SJ? Can it DD now or is the job still relegated to being second-class tank? Does the game run well on X360? You guys are on Sylph, right?

You do not need gold to play XI on 360... But if you can somehow play on PC I would recommend that.

It would also be cheaper if you are having to buy everything again.

ZetaEpyon

Loto said:
You do not need gold to play XI on 360... But if you can somehow play on PC I would recommend that.

It would also be cheaper if you are having to buy everything again.

Particularly since the new Abyssea Edition that comes out on the 16th is only going to be available as a download for PC.

Hm, that new Abyssea pack sure does seem the way to go, huh? I only have a mid-2009 unibody Macbook Pro (2.26GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, GeForce 9400M) - with Boot Camp, would it run the game well?

P.S. Thanks for your responses, fellas. I also prefer dual wielding jobs, Zeta. :D

Chuck said:
Hm, that new Abyssea pack sure does seem the way to go, huh? I only have a mid-2009 unibody Macbook Pro (2.26GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, GeForce 9400M) - with Boot Camp, would it run the game well?

P.S. Thanks for your responses, fellas. I also prefer dual wielding jobs, Zeta. :D
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to run it just fine; the game is 9 years old. But I recommend downloading the official benchmark to get an idea of performance on your computer:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/download/media/benchmark01.html

Thank you, sir.

Also, does anybody know how many gigs all the FFXI content takes altogether? I don't know how much HDD space to allocate to Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom