• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgplayer1

B.K. said:
Not ALL jobs, unless they've changed it. The wiki says it just raises the cap for the original jobs and the jobs added with Promanthia and Zilart.

I think I know what you're talking about and I think you've misinterpreted it.

If you are trying to break the cap with any of the original jobs or jobs added with the RotZ or COP expansions then you have to fight Maat.

If you are trying to break the cap with jobs added after COP then you don't fight Maat but you do some other form of the quest. Pretty sure a friend of mine got BLU to 75 and he never fought Maat.

As for the other jobs that are eligible for the Maat fight, you never have to do that fight again for any other jobs once you've beaten him. Unless you want Maat's cap.

Shouta

B.K. said:
Not ALL jobs, unless they've changed it. The wiki says it just raises the cap for the original jobs and the jobs added with Promanthia and Zilart.

All jobs have a similar fight, but the TOAU jobs have a fight against someone related to their storyline to break their limit, if they have to. It's not Maat but it's essentially the same thing.

B.K.

I've been looking at the wiki to see what all I can do at 75+. Are Relic Weapons still worth getting now?

ZetaEpyon

They're still good, just totally not worth the effort at this point. I have to think that you'd be better off pursuing an Empyrean weapon, and even that's quite an undertaking.

Trials weapons can be pretty good for the effort required (and the fact that the only cost is time).

So I made it to Jeuno last night and I was very excited to jump on the AH and buy some actual gear (I've been pretty gimped so far gearwise as there was practically no armor on Sandy's AH). Jeuno does have plenty of armor for me, but I'm realizing that I'm piss poor and can't afford all the stuff I need.

So do you guys have any suggestions for a good way to make some gil for somebody still low level (20BLM/WHM)? I was doing okay selling crystals on the AH, but everytime I put any up, it seems like people start undercutting the steady recent history price. And then my stuff doesn't sell.

Is getting into crafting in a profitable sense something that is realistic for me atm? Or would I have to invest a ton of gil before I start to see results?

Any suggestions you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

*EDIT* Ok, I've been searching around the interwebs since the work is slow today. It seems like farming silk thread is still a good way for money at lower levels. So I'm going to give that a try. But I'm still open to any other suggestions

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BentMyWookiee said:
So I made it to Jeuno last night and I was very excited to jump on the AH and buy some actual gear (I've been pretty gimped so far gearwise as there was practically no armor on Sandy's AH). Jeuno does have plenty of armor for me, but I'm realizing that I'm piss poor and can't afford all the stuff I need.

So do you guys have any suggestions for a good way to make some gil for somebody still low level (20BLM/WHM)? I was doing okay selling crystals on the AH, but everytime I put any up, it seems like people start undercutting the steady recent history price. And then my stuff doesn't sell.

Is getting into crafting in a profitable sense something that is realistic for me atm? Or would I have to invest a ton of gil before I start to see results?

Any suggestions you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

*EDIT* Ok, I've been searching around the interwebs since the work is slow today. It seems like farming silk thread is still a good way for money at lower levels. So I'm going to give that a try. But I'm still open to any other suggestions

Always make sure you have signet on to earn conquest points, and try to get to rank 3 if you have people who can help. You can buy some decent gear for that level from the conquest sellers, or buy to sell on AH. Also, check FFXI Wiki for quests from your home city and Jeuno, there are some that have gil rewards.

Thanks for the tips. Signet is always on and I was planning on trying to get Rank 3 this weekend. I completely forgot about conquest items, so I'll definitely have to check those out. I've been using the ffxiclopedia for questing and have done most of the ones that are available to me and realistic at the moment for San d'oria. But since I just got to Jeuno, I'll have to look into those available quests too.

B.K.

Got a party in Abyssea tonight and capped my exp. at 75 and capped my Merit Points. I also got enough Kindred's Crests to do the last two limit breaks.

ZetaEpyon

And a good party it was!
I clocked out at 1.4 million exp, and something close to 500k cruor I think. Took ninja from 43 to 90 and 11 merits.

...and now I don't even want to think about exping for a while.

ZetaEpyon said:
And a good party it was!
I clocked out at 1.4 million exp, and something close to 500k cruor I think. Took ninja from 43 to 90 and 11 merits.

Oh yeah?! Well I leveled RDM from 6 to 9 :p

But seriously, congrats on all the leveling! I logged on and you were at lvl 80, I think. And then I took a short break and suddenly you were at 87. This is definitely different than the FFXI I remember

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, Abyssea really is a different world. (ha ha!)
Now I just need to do something about my woefully underleveled katana skill, as well as tracking down some better gear.

B.K.

XI Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition announced.

Eager to get new Vana’diel visitors, Square Enix added an enviable hat to Final Fantasy XI: Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition. The Destrier Beret adds regen, refresh (MP regen), auto reraise (you come back to life), a movement speed boost, and an increase to your skill gain rate. You can equip the beret at level 1 and as long as you’re under level 30 you retain all of the bonuses.

At level 30 you can add a second job, which is when Final Fantasy XI really picks up. This helpful accessory should make the journey to Jeuno much, much easier than when the game launched.

On top of the Destrier Beret, Final Fantasy XI: Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition includes every expansion pack, add-on scenario, and the Abyssea battles. This bundle will be released as a PC digital download for $19.99 starting on May 16.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/2...-edition-packs-the-ultimate-newbie-accessory/

I wish they would have announced that a few weeks ago. I would have put off buying Abyssea on its own so I could have saved $10.

Edit: Prische statue will be available to everyone that owns all three Abyssea add-ons after the next update.

6524_0.jpg

B.K.

I just did my next two Limit Breaks. I've broken up to 85 now.

Edit:

Wogjs.jpg

I kind of want that hat. I've only got two jobs above 30. Most are level 1.

ZetaEpyon

Does anyone have suggestions for katanas to use on ninja? I hadn't really expected to zoom to 90 so fast, so I literally do not have any gear other than what I was using on thief and dancer. Still using the AF katanas, too. (Amazingly, able to hit 1400 damage on Blade: Jin in abyssea with those and severely underleveled katana skill.)

Obviously, looking for something relatively easy/cheap to obtain without being total garbage. Maybe trials weapons again?

Chinese Electric Batman said:
The UI for this is server side right?

Is there a justification for this? It's extremely sluggish for me.

Are you talking about FF11 (this thread) or FF14 (not this thread)?
I've never noticed the FF11 UI being sluggish.

ZetaEpyon said:
Does anyone have suggestions for katanas to use on ninja? I hadn't really expected to zoom to 90 so fast, so I literally do not have any gear other than what I was using on thief and dancer. Still using the AF katanas, too. (Amazingly, able to hit 1400 damage on Blade: Jin in abyssea with those and severely underleveled katana skill.)

Obviously, looking for something relatively easy/cheap to obtain without being total garbage. Maybe trials weapons again?

Are you talking about FF11 (this thread) or FF14 (not this thread)?
I've never noticed the FF11 UI being sluggish.

Oh God.

My bad.

elohel

im thinkin bout picking up a ffxi hdd off this guy who lives like an hour away from me.....

game still worth playing? starting all over(may still have my lvl25? character)

B.K.

How do you expand Mog Sacks? I just did two Gobbiebag quests to increase my inventory, but it didn't affect my Mog Sack like the wiki said it would.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
B.K. said:
How do you expand Mog Sacks? I just did two Gobbiebag quests to increase my inventory, but it didn't affect my Mog Sack like the wiki said it would.

Think I remember hearing you had to log out and then back in...

NeoForte

B.K. said:

You have to talk to the moogle in Ru'Lude to expand Mog Sack

Loto

ZetaEpyon said:
And a good party it was!

Oh my god, how long did that take?

B.K.

Did the Grauberg boss with an alliance last night. I was planning to just stay back and get the win for the Atma, but it was just my luck that the boss needed a scythe attack for red weakness and I was the only one in the entire alliance that had a scythe.

I did the Tharongi boss two nights ago. That's three down so far. Just six to go and I can go after Shinryu.

hgplayer1

B.K. said:
Did the Grauberg boss with an alliance last night. I was planning to just stay back and get the win for the Atma, but it was just my luck that the boss needed a scythe attack for red weakness and I was the only one in the entire alliance that had a scythe.

I did the Tharongi boss two nights ago. That's three down so far. Just six to go and I can go after Shinryu.

Nice. Ive only got one zone boss under my belt. If you get another one of those parties let me know Ill be happy to join.

wwm0nkey said:
Ok so when I hit level 30 what is this leeching people keep talking about?

Well you need the Abyssea add ons. If you can get in either a XP party or a Dominion Ops party the XP can rack up really fast. The thing is at level 30 you wont be very useful so youll need to get in one of our linkshell parties or find a very generous soul to let you join.

If you have the add ons you need to start acumulating the stones that will give you visitant status time in those zones.

B.K.

hgplayer1 said:
Nice. Ive only got one zone boss under my belt. If you get another one of those parties let me know Ill be happy to join.

Ok. I assumed everyone else that had Abyssea had already done all of them.

ZetaEpyon

Mainly Sylph.

And B.K., you need all the zone bosses and all 6 caturae before you can fight Shinryu. (Though I think you're as close as I am now, heh.)

B.K.

I finally quit the party I've been in since about 7:00. I went from 76 to 85 and from 3 to 20 merits. I gained about 160,000 Cruor from the party. I need to buy the second Lunar Abyssite. Now I just need to get a second Atma that's worth using. What are the three best Atmas?

Shouta

B.K. said:
I finally quit the party I've been in since about 7:00. I went from 76 to 85 and from 3 to 20 merits. I gained about 160,000 Cruor from the party. I need to buy the second Lunar Abyssite. Now I just need to get a second Atma that's worth using. What are the three best Atmas?

The best atma combination for most melees is Razed Ruins, Gnarled Horn, and Apocalypse.

You can swap Gnarled Horn for Voracious Violet though. You can also get some really good combinations for other roles like En- damage increases or spellcasting, etc.

Vice

I'm considering starting FFXI again. I last played after Treasures of Aht Urghan came out. I was involved in a lot of endgame stuff at the time. I have a few questions about the game since then.
Is the early game grind as bad as it was back then?
I'm interested in soloing more this time around. Is beastmaster still the best class for that?
Would it be possible to recover my account after canceling a few years ago?

B.K.

Vice said:
Is the early game grind as bad as it was back then?

No. They added Field Manuals since then that give you experience for killing set amounts of monsters and they doubled the experience points that you get from battles with the last version update. It's never been easier to level.

elohel

question for returning player

I have the ps2 version but it's on my dead ps3

can I use my install discs on another ps2?

can I even reinstall the game? or do I have to get a new copy of the game each time?

elohel said:
question for returning player

I have the ps2 version but it's on my dead ps3

can I use my install discs on another ps2?

can I even reinstall the game? or do I have to get a new copy of the game each time?
You shouldn't have to get new install discs. I believe you'll just need your PlayOnline ID and password to log in once it's installed.

I'm not sure when you quit or what expansions you have. But if you want to access areas from the expansions that came out after you stopped, you will need to get those discs. For example, if the last expansion that you had when you played was Chains of Promathia. Then you would need to get Treasures of Aht Urghan and Wings of the Goddess if you wanted to access those expansions. FYI - If you don't care about expansions that came out after you quit, then you can still play the game without them. You'll just only be able to access the content of what you have installed.

elohel

BentMyWookiee said:
You shouldn't have to get new install discs. I believe you'll just need your PlayOnline ID and password to log in once it's installed.

I'm not sure when you quit or what expansions you have. But if you want to access areas from the expansions that came out after you stopped, you will need to get those discs. For example, if the last expansion that you had when you played was Chains of Promathia. Then you would need to get Treasures of Aht Urghan and Wings of the Goddess if you wanted to access those expansions. FYI - If you don't care about expansions that came out after you quit, then you can still play the game without them. You'll just only be able to access the content of what you have installed.

kk thx yeah I have that 08 collection or w/e so should be good

ZetaEpyon

Also, if you'd rather play on PC (and who wouldn't), you can buy/borrow/obtain-via-other-means the installation discs for that, and it'll work fine as well.

elohel

ZetaEpyon said:
Also, if you'd rather play on PC (and who wouldn't), you can buy/borrow/obtain-via-other-means the installation discs for that, and it'll work fine as well.

I've only got a little MacBook pro(not sandy bridge)

would that play the game well?

ZetaEpyon

elohel said:
I've only got a little MacBook pro(not sandy bridge)

would that play the game well?

Well given that there's no OS X version, and you'd have to boot into Windows, I'm not too sure. Looking at the specs for even the earliest version of the MBP, I'd say there's a decent shot it would play OK, though I can't say for certain.

Probably gonna get this when the Abyssea Edition comes out. Haven't played is 5+ years, seems like a good time to return. Forcing my way into whatever linkshell you guys have going also.

Shouta

B.K. said:
Are Empyrean weapons worth the trouble or are they just for the bragging rights?

They're the best weapons currently in the game and possibly to get if you have folks to play with regularly and the proper atmas for it. The Walk of Echoes weapons are one step down and not that far behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom