• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

The 16th is going to end up being a newb party, should be grand. Minus the fact I probably won't get on in time because I'm west coast and will probably be installing until you guys go to sleep....

Either way, kinda excited to see whats changed. I have this weird love/hate nostalgia for FFXI.

Loto

ZetaEpyon said:
Particularly since the new Abyssea Edition that comes out on the 16th is only going to be available as a download for PC.
Yup, unfortunately haven't been able to do any Abyssea stuff since I'm waiting for this collection. If I read it right it's going to have all the other addons too?

Finally, how is this going to work since I already have an FFXI account. I'll just download and it will automatically link the addon stuff to my current account?

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, it includes everything up to now.

It'll probably just include a product code that you apply to your existing PlayOnline account. I did this with the previous collection after the first 3 mini-expansions came out.

Shouta

Chuck said:
Man, after a 5 year hiatus I'm considering coming back. What's NIN like nowadays? Is /WAR still the preferred SJ? Can it DD now or is the job still relegated to being second-class tank? Does the game run well on X360? You guys are on Sylph, right?

Edit: Sorry, another question: Does the 360 version require a gold subscription? Unfortunately I sold my PC after FFXIV turned out to be dogshit.

NIN can DD pretty well (still outdamaged by pure DDs) but it's considered a top tank as evasion tanking is more effective than blood-tanking in Abyssea. It's a very complete job overall and there are very few complaints with it nowadays.

Loto

ZetaEpyon said:
Yeah, it includes everything up to now.

It'll probably just include a product code that you apply to your existing PlayOnline account. I did this with the previous collection after the first 3 mini-expansions came out.
Cool, thank you. Can't wait!

4dcc88ea89118b0a2b000f20.jpg

Boss Man

Where do the suits come from!? Haven't been able to get on much since the update, busy on finals until tomorrow.

Alchemy

Shit, I remember playing with a Grahf from way back in the day. I also remember being in high school back then, and now I've graduated college and have a job.... holy hell FFXI you are old.

pol_2004-04-01_18-13-50-99.jpg

Though I must admit, my high school self new how to sex up his avatar.

fairyPolished.jpg

What city do most of you guys just joining on the 16th plan on starting in? Bastok for me, always have and always will. I really do think it's the best starter city for the zones surrounding it.

Also, will fresh noobs have the option to get the novennial ring?

Edit: Is kraken club still brokenly awesome?

Alchemy

Chuck said:
What city do most of you guys just joining on the 16th plan on starting in? Bastok for me, always have and always will. I really do think it's the best starter city for the zones surrounding it.

I was thinking of rolling a giraffe.... elvaan, so I was going to pick Sandy for the ring. If we want to roll around in a huge lowbie party early on I'm not against starting in Bastok. But I am against the Windurst, damn midget maze.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Best City = Windurst
Best Starting City = Sandy (really has the easiest mobs outside for newbies to deal with)
Most Craptastic City = Bastok

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alchemy said:
I remember hating Windurst because of all the damn zoning it took to get around. Anything change?
Usually only have to go to Windy port and Windy woods to do anything, so it's not that bad. Also there's always been warp guys to warp you around the city much faster.

Kandinsky

DrForester said:
Usually only have to go to Windy port and Windy woods to do anything, so it's not that bad. Also there's always been warp guys to warp you around the city much faster.
Omfg i havent used those guys since like 2k4 i totally forgot they existed, will use them tonight!

treating this thread as my live journal.

trying to decide whether to go melee or mana still. when i originally played, i played sam to the high 40s, then fell into the trap of wanting to level everything. right now i'm leaning toward nin, but you know, zinc ore. also, last time i was hume, but that seemed quite boring. at least i've had something nonsensical to think about at work this week.

elohel

how do i go about getting all my old stuff back?

im installing using same discs i used on my ps3 on my ps2, how would i get all my old info back in terms of account stuff so i can just start up again?

i cant seem to figure it out, theres so many different accounts and passwords lol

only thing i has is my square enix password.....does gmail delete old messages? im wondering if it was so old it was deleted or does square not sent out the initial game set up stuff?

edit: Also what server is everyone on again?

elohel said:
how do i go about getting all my old stuff back?

you have to call them. you also have to have the old credit card number. ALSO, if there is no return to vanadiel thing going on and your account has been inactive for more than .. 6 months(?) they don't do anything.

in short, you have to call them and hassle them and see what they'll do. most people seem to be on sylph. if your luck turns bad, it sounds like getting back to where you were previously isn't as much of a pain as you'd think.

elohel

paranoidfortean said:
you have to call them. you also have to have the old credit card number. ALSO, if there is no return to vanadiel thing going on and your account has been inactive for more than .. 6 months(?) they don't do anything.

in short, you have to call them and hassle them and see what they'll do. most people seem to be on sylph. if your luck turns bad, it sounds like getting back to where you were previously isn't as much of a pain as you'd think.

ahh kk thanks

yeah i just ended up making a new one with the hdd set i just got

i'll sort out my old character later just wanted to get this done tonight lol

edit: also wanted to know what country to start in? or doesn't matter?

took way too long to install and update lol

I don't see the collection on amazon to buy.. is this coming out next week? I see the last collection on steam for 10 bucks. Maybe I should just do that to get the downlading going...

B.K.

SpiderJerusalem said:
I don't see the collection on amazon to buy.. is this coming out next week? I see the last collection on steam for 10 bucks. Maybe I should just do that to get the downlading going...

It isn't available until the 16th. I don't think Amazon will have it. It's a digital release.

elohel

are people just starting on the 16th? or is everyone who's high level buying the expansion on that date?

ive got everything ready, im in sylph? or w/e and uhhh san ordia or w/e

lvl 6 so far uhhh

can someone add me to the linkshell thing? where i get a pearl?

Is tarutaru an OK race for ninja? Is there a big difference between a 90 taru and say a 90 mithra or hume's total HP? I used to play a mithra ranger but I'm thinking about rolling taru this time around.

Shouta

Chuck said:
Is tarutaru an OK race for ninja? Is there a big difference between a 90 taru and say a 90 mithra or hume's total HP? I used to play a mithra ranger but I'm thinking about rolling taru this time around.

Playing any race is fine, differences aren't a very big deal and you can easily overcome it with gear and various other things.

Shouta said:
Playing any race is fine, differences aren't a very big deal and you can easily overcome it with gear and various other things.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know!

Shouta, how should we go about getting pearls once we're in on Monday?

What city are most of you starting out in?

Jrmint

Yay only 1 more day till my return to Vana'Diel, can't wait to play with you all!

I'll be starting in Windhurst, Tarus > all

Skel said:
Yay only 1 more day till my return to Vana'Diel, can't wait to play with you all!

I'll be starting in Windhurst, Tarus > all
Oh is it launching the 16th Japanese time? Hope so!

It seems a lot of you have mentioned Windy... I'm not a fan of that labyrinthine maze of a city but hey, if that's what it takes to play with my fellow GAF'ers... :p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shouta said:

Well, except for Galka if you plan on going mage. It's really the only thing that sucks even with gear.

Alchemy

16th Japanese release would be sweet. As it is, going to be starting a WAR Elvaan in Windy. Can't wait to see you guys there!

Jrmint

I'd say Elvaan are worse than Galka, they look so freaking awkward, and do they still run with their all cocked to the side? They look so bad.

I can't recall, do Humes have the option to start in Windy?

Oh btw, will you guys be cool with taking us into Abyssea to power level from 30-90 :)?

Skel said:
I'd say Elvaan are worse than Galka, they look so freaking awkward, and do they still run with their all cocked to the side? They look so bad.

I can't recall, do Humes have the option to start in Windy?

Oh btw, will you guys be cool with taking us into Abyssea to power level from 30-90 :)?
Agreed.

Yep, any race can start out in whichever city they want. It looks like everybody will be starting out in Windy so I might as well too, despite how much I love Bastok. n00b party in Sarutabaruta!

I sure hope so! :lol

Edit: Man, I just realized that downloading every single update in existence is going to take for-ev-er. Is there a torrent that contains all the up to date update files so I can go ahead and knock that out of the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom