• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohel

paranoidfortean said:
Probably gonna get this when the Abyssea Edition comes out. Haven't played is 5+ years, seems like a good time to return. Forcing my way into whatever linkshell you guys have going also.

is abyssea coming out on ps2?

wut is it?

ZetaEpyon

Abyssea Edition is the new Vana'diel Collection, which includes all content to date (specifically the namesake Abyssea content packs), for $20. It's Windows PC download only. You can get Abyssea on PS2, I think, just not via this new collection.

Or were you asking what Abyssea itself is?

elohel

ZetaEpyon said:
Abyssea Edition is the new Vana'diel Collection, which includes all content to date (specifically the namesake Abyssea content packs), for $20. It's Windows PC download only. You can get Abyssea on PS2, I think, just not via this new collection.

Or were you asking what Abyssea itself is?

i guess both kinda lol

what all does it add?

Jrmint

elohel said:
i guess both kinda lol

what all does it add?
I'm wondering this also. I haven't played since 2007. Is it anymore solo friendly? I'm prob going to pick it up regardless for nostalgias sake, but I was just wondering if it was any more approachable.

Also is there a neogaf linkshell somewhere?

ZetaEpyon

Abyssea comprises the bulk of the current level 75+ content. It's a set of alternate-dimension (really) versions of a number of zones from original XI, and some of the boxed expansions. Much of the currently desirable "end-game" type gear is obtained in Abyssea via a variety of methods. It's also by far the best place for leveling up; it's not uncommon to gain xp at a rate of 100,000xp per hour if you're there for that purpose. (Note that this generally applies primarily to jobs already at 75+. You can enter Abyssea as low as 30, but your role will be very specific then. Best not to expect to use Abyssea to get your first job up to 75.)

As for soloing, yes, the game overall has become considerably more solo-friendly. It's still not like many other MMOs, but thanks to xp boosts to easy prey mobs, and systems like Fields of Valor, it's not a hopeless struggle like it once was. I soloed dancer (admittedly one of the best soloing jobs) to up to 60 without any real trouble.

The de-facto neogaf LS, StarsOfDestiny, is on Sylph.
If you decide to start up, contact me or any of the other pearlsack holders for a pearl.

Jrmint

Sounds great, thanks for the indepth response.

I was reading on the previous page about low levels in those new abyssea areas, so it is technically possible to level there right?

When I quit the ToAU expansion was the biggest thing, is this content still done at all?

ZetaEpyon

Technically possible yes, but not realistically, unless you leech off of high-level characters. (That's the specific role that I was talking about before; opening chests as a low-level character for an exp alliance.)

As for ToAU, I think that people still party out there, since it's still one of the better areas for pre-Abyssea (pre-75) levels. As for missions and other ToAU events like assaults, Nyzul Isle, Einherjar, and so on, they don't seem as popular. Abyssea is the thing to do right now because the rewards are generally both superior and easier to obtain.

That said, I still want to run through the ToAU missions sometime, as well as WotG. I know that there are others in the LS who are interested in doing missions as well.

Jrmint

Alright cool.

I'm really excited to get back into this now. I think the Abyssea edition comes out in 2 weeks or so.

What's your name ingame so I know to message you?

ZetaEpyon

Current active StarsOfDestiny sackholders (to my knowledge):

Code:
NeoGAF Username   Character Name

Kandinsky         Danicolas
Shouta            Ezlyn
hgplayer1         Hgplayer
Pancakesandsex    Pancakesandsx
ZetaEpyon         Talym

Scott

Everybody highlighted red are (assumed to be) active players:
Code:
:: [u]Alexander[/u] ::
    [u]NeoGAF Username[/u]     [u]Character Name[/u]
    Loto                Arcayan
    Zomba13             Zomba

:: [u]Asura[/u] ::
    Anslon              Patricio
    DrForester

:: [u]Bismarck[/u] ::
    StateofMind         Selzak

:: [u]Carbuncle[/u] ::
    Kronotech           Ninjaro

:: [u]Fenrir[/u] :: 
    dark_chris          Veucleudant
    DrDogg              Drdogg

:: [u]Gilgamesh[/u] ::
    Entwain
    Husker86
    Kntj                Kyntaja

:: [u]Leviathan[/u] ::
    Conrad Link         Hawkwing

:: [u]Phoenix[/u] ::
    Home

:: [u]Quetzacoatl[/u] ::
    Amneisac

:: [u]Sylph[/u] :: [i]Message anybody with a [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] to join the "Stars of Destiny" Linkshell.[/i]
    Azura               Maliah
    bardia              Cyruz
    Bebpo               Bebpo
    B-Dex               Mirelda
    BentMyWookiee       Beoulve
    B.K.                Grahf
    BlueWord            Elido
    Broadbandito        Broadbandito
    CATDAFELIX          Fellix
    Desi                Desiderus
    Electrochemistry    Eyorog
    GrumpyAlien         Landes
    HAttyboy            Ryiah
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] hgplayer1           hgplayer
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] Kandinsky           Danicolas
    Kintaro             Darsh
    jae                 Nakayubi
    Mailman 007         Vanas
    Max                 Maxkem
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] MistaPita           Sadarani
    mucorama            Melba
    Mystic              Arylias
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] Pai Pai Master      Rockman
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] Pancakesandsex      Pancakesandsx
    Pandoracell         Robokop
    pix                 Pixfix
    Ploid 3.0           Ploid
    PumpkinPie          Auroch
    Rawk Hawk           Rawkhawk
    Redd                Radicalredd
    Robobandit          Galadrian
    ronito              Iliketacos
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] Scott               Kytrinn
    seipherzero         Benitoraa
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] Shouta              Ezlyn
    Smision
    SpiderJerusalem     Spiderlily
    Suikoguy            Suikosword
    Team Vernia         Sestilius
    Teknoman            Teknoman
    Tequila Wolf        Hoborg
    Terproerg           Terp
    TheExodu5           Selkaia
    Turtlesnatcher      Pezradar
    Varna               Jeshua
    Velion              Kazesin
    vissione            Gohne
    wwm0nkey
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] ZetaEpyon           Talym

Aurellius
                        Seigyoku

:: [u]Valefor[/u] ::
    Ravidrath

:: [u]Unknown[/u] ::
    II CETRA II
    Big Papa Husker
    Carlisle
    Cimarron
    DimmuBurgerKing
    drkOne
    elohel
    Feep
    Fox the Sly
    Gromph
    ithorien
    jiggle
    madara
    MCX
    Nif                 Wrex
    Osaka
    Outdoor Miner
    paranoidfortean
    putero
    Rentahamster
    Skel
    SUPARSTARX
    Tabris
    TAJ
    _tetsuo_            Rision
    thefil
    Thnikkaman
    Yuripaw
Obviously missing a lot of people's information, so if you would, please reply with your information and I'll update the list. Thanks.

MistaPita

Finally, I can post!
I'm Sadarani (not Sadarini) :)
I'm glad to see the LS has had a babyboom with all these cute rookies running around, let me know if I can be of assistance when I'm online.

We got a few non gaffers too recently as well.

If anyone meets anyone who's not an asshole while partying feel free to invite them too.

Jrmint

wwm0nkey said:
Well guys my sub is over but I will be getting back on after I get paid again :D
That's easy, TaruTaru are the best race in any mmo I've ever played.

Sorry quoted the wrong post lol, meant to quote the race one.

Logged in for the first time in a while yesterday. Pretty much doing the solo thing with BST as I want to check out the story and explore the world at my leisure. I mucked around with FF XIV for a while too, but I wasn't having any fun so I figured I would do some more FF XI. With my last finals next week, and lots of summer time very soon I might as well spend some of it in Vana'diel.

Also, listening to the Final Fantasy XI -Star Onions- Sanctuary gave me massive nostalgia that I couldn't resist. One of the best arranged albums I have ever heard.

ZetaEpyon

Yes, come back to the fold!

We actually had enough people online to get a scrollbar in the linkshell window last night, pretty cool to see. :)

Scott

MistaPita said:
Finally, I can post!
I'm Sadarani (not Sadarini) :)
Wow, I even knew that, as I've seen you online quite a bit. I even looked over the list a couple times before posting it originally to make sure the names were right, and apparently just never noticed that typo. :\

Thanks for pointing that out; it's all fixed now. :p

Scott said:
Wow, I even knew that, as I've seen you online quite a bit. I even looked over the list a couple times before posting it originally to make sure the names were right, and apparently just never noticed that typo. :\

Thanks for pointing that out; it's all fixed now. :p
Would you kindly add another name to the LS list for Stars of Destiny?

NeoGAF name: Tequila Wolf
FFXI character name: Hoborg

He's an active player in the LS on Sylph and registered awhile ago for GAF, but just isn't able to post yet.

B.K.

I wish there were more people farming feet equipment in Abyssea Misareaux. It's going to take a long time to get that equipment.

Looking at all the changes the game has had makes me excited. A lot of the appeal in the beginning was the grind and difficulty, but I felt that in the end it just killed it for me too. Looking forward to seeing how things go. Almost bought the ultimate edition for $10, because I'm impatient, but then I didn't want to have to buy all 3 Abyssea addons separately.

B.K.

With mules, do you still have to use the delivery NPC to send items between characters or can you do it directly since they're on the same account as your main character?

Shouta

They aren't increasing the cap tomorrow as far as I know. That one will probably come in July/August/September.

Kandinsky

The potency of the "Automaton: Regain" effect granted by the hand-to-hand weapon "Burattinaios" has been adjusted.
Aww D:

Edit: after reading the notes, seems like a worthless update. All i wanted was a "favorite atma list".

Equipment seems total fail as well lol.

B.K.

New Abyssea support NPCs have been added to the following areas:

* Gilburt, Ivan Port San d’Oria (I-8)
* Erich, Ernst Port Bastok (K-11)
* Jerrett, Kierron Heavens Tower, Windurst

That sucks. The good thing about having everything in Port Jueno was that all the shouts were there. If you wanted to do anything in Abyssea, you just had to sit in Port Jueno and watch the shows. Now with NPCs in all three nations, you'll never know what is going on.

Kandinsky

B.K. said:

That sucks. The good thing about having everything in Port Jueno was that all the shouts were there. If you wanted to do anything in Abyssea, you just had to sit in Port Jueno and watch the shows. Now with NPCs in all three nations, you'll never know what is going on.
At least you can be sure us Windurstians (best players anyway) will stay in Jeuno D:

hgplayer1

B.K. said:

Well no matter where they ended up putting them it was gonna potentially fragment the players looking for stuff to do in Abyssea. This will have minimal impact on the number of people in Port Jeuno IMO.

Shouta

Kandinsky said:
Aww D:

Edit: after reading the notes, seems like a worthless update. All i wanted was a "favorite atma list".

Equipment seems total fail as well lol.

Yeah, them be assholes for killing the Burts. Back to full timing Revenant Fists +2

DarthWufei said:
Why do I continue to play PUP? Back to being the butt of every joke in my LS. *sigh*

You really shouldn't be the but of jokes considering even without Burattinaios, we're monsterously good now. Hopefully the 2 new WS aren't shit.

Started messing around with BLM yesterday to make my leveling WHM for BST less of a hell and I was wondering something. Do BLM and WHM have an auto refresh right off the bat? I noticed my MP rising sometimes when I wasn't even resting.

Shouta

They don't but if the tablet ability "Blood of the Vampyr" is active, it'll give you a refresh to a certain point

hgplayer1

yeah Blood of the Vampyr was active last night so any time your HP or MP dropped below %51 you would get the latent effect of regen and refresh.

B.K.

I guess the servers are under a big load right now. I can't even get to the top level of Playonline to select the XI shortcut.

hgplayer1 said:
yeah Blood of the Vampyr was active last night so any time your HP or MP dropped below %51 you would get the latent effect of regen and refresh.

That sounds like what it was. I noticed it only happened while low. For a second I thought it was something they had patched onto the BLM job...which would have been nice. I guess I should pay some attention to that Super Kupower message that appears when I log in.

Shouta

High level BLMs will get refresh from gear and then traits/skills from subjobs too. They just don't get it at low levels most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom