• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

I kind of want the hat. I wonder if you have to download it to get the hat or if you get a code for it when you buy the set.

Portalbox

B.K. said:
I kind of want the hat. I wonder if you have to download it to get the hat or if you get a code for it when you buy the set.

Apparently the hat comes in a completely different registration code.

B.K. said:
As soon as you buy the game Amazon transfers you to a page where it displays your registration code and separate code for the beret.

Loto

Chuck said:
As soon as you buy the game Amazon transfers you to a page where it displays your registration code and separate code for the beret.
Since I already have FFXI installed how dies this work? I am assuming I just need the registration code so all of the addons activate, is that correct?

ZetaEpyon

Loto said:
Since I already have FFXI installed how dies this work? I am assuming I just need the registration code so all of the addons activate, is that correct?

Yeah, you should be able to take the registration key and add it to your existing POL account, which would activate anything you don't already have. Getting the hat should work the same way.

This is how I did it with the last collection; just applied the code to my account. No reinstall or anything.

DarkKyo

I'm really considering rejoining FF11 after being away for years so I may get this 20 dollar set..... Is the GAF LS on Sylph pretty active?

ZetaEpyon

Dechaios said:
I'm really considering rejoining FF11 after being away for years so I may get this 20 dollar set..... Is the GAF LS on Sylph pretty active?

I can't speak for all timezones, but it's been pretty good lately when I'm on, and seems like it's about to get a large infusion of new players, based on everyone who's said they're getting it in this thread.

DarkKyo

ZetaEpyon said:
I can't speak for all timezones, but it's been pretty good lately when I'm on, and seems like it's about to get a large infusion of new players, based on everyone who's said they're getting it in this thread.
That would work pretty well for me, then. The highest I ever got in this game was 61 Dragoon, but from what I understand it's substantially less back-breaking to get higher now. I think I'll take the plunge :)

Alchemy

Well, just bought this on Steam. Loading it on my work PC for some lunch time soloing. I think next weekend is going to be a heck of a lot of fantasying for me.

DarkKyo

It's been awhile and I'm having trouble understanding the Destrier effects. So you "use" the item and get those effects? How often can you use it and how long do the effects last?

ZetaEpyon

No, you get the latent effects (regen, refresh, reraise, skill gain, movement speed) simply by being level 30 or lower.

Using the item gives you the Costume effect (of an adolescent Chocobo, apparently).

<1/1 0:30/[1:00:00, 0:30]>

1/1 = 1 of 1 charges available. (1/1 items never run out)

0:30 = Time remaining until next use is available.

1:00:00 = Amount of time between reuses.

0:30 = Wait time between equipping the item and when you can use it.

DarkKyo

ZetaEpyon said:
No, you get the latent effects (regen, refresh, reraise, skill gain, movement speed) simply by being level 30 or lower.

Using the item gives you the Costume effect (of an adolescent Chocobo, apparently).

1/1 = 1 of 1 charges available. (1/1 items never run out)

0:30 = Time remaining until next use is available.

1:00:00 = Amount of time between reuses.

0:30 = Wait time between equipping the item and when you can use it.
Ohhhh very nice, so all those skills are on the character just for wearing it. That's great to hear. Thanks for your help :)

Edit: Jesus christ monkey balls... Just started updating... 8 HOURS OF UPDATES?! The edition was just released today. They couldn't have lumped all these updated files in so I could at least be downloading on Steam's probably superior servers?

Alchemy

Dechaios said:
Ohhhh very nice, so all those skills are on the character just for wearing it. That's great to hear. Thanks for your help :)

Edit: Jesus christ monkey balls... Just started updating... 8 HOURS OF UPDATES?! The edition was just released today. They couldn't have lumped all these updated files in so I could at least be downloading on Steam's probably superior servers?

I see about 10 minutes of just file checking right now... should be fun.

At least I managed to get my account all set up. Still need to make my character then pop out and get his destrier beret set up. Good use of a lunch break.

Dechaios said:

Hahaha I knew this would happen... It's Square, after all. I'm glad I downloaded the update files separately. :p

Who's online already? My game download should be done soon. I'm going to start a taru in Windy, hope to see some GAF'ers on!

DarkKyo

I guess the update servers are probably overloaded from people buying this edition, so that's also why it's gonna take forever. Well I guess I can look forward to playing by midnight :p

Alchemy

I think I'm going Hume, definitely starting in Windurst with everyone else. Not that we'll be getting in before tomorrow...

ZetaEpyon

Well the game is much larger than 6.5GB installed, so right there that should have been a tip-off that it wasn't updated. (I doubt that compression accounts for several gigs.)

That said, the XI collections have pretty much never been up-to-date things. The ones that I've seen are literally just the individual installers bundled up together. On the one that I have, you still even have to run each individual installation program; it's pretty dumb.

All that said, I suspect that it won't take you 8 hours to get the updates. Unless there is an absolute flood of people getting this thing, it shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as on a normal major patch day (as active players' installs are already current).

I'll be on tonight, so drop me or any of the other sackholders a /tell whenever you get in!

Edit: Alternatively, if you're brave:
http://www.kat.ph/all-final-fantasy-xi-ffxi-updates-patches-2011-05-09-t5469365.html

DarkKyo

I've got some other stuff to do so I guess I'll just wait for the patch instead of trying to patch the files myself...

And I'll totally send you a message when I get on. Can't wait to be a part of the community.

ZetaEpyon

I can't vouch for that particular set of files, but I have updated in a similar process in the past for particularly large/hammered updates. Hence, "if you're brave". :)

Jrmint

Chuck said:
Hey man I just bought it off Amazon and I'm just at the page where you start the download at.

It just says your purchase is available for download and I started the download.

Do they email you these codes, or how does that work exactly?

Thanks much.

Go to amazon.com/yourgames

It should show FFXI and there should be a yellow button below that that says something like "Click here to display key/serial"

Hope this helps.

B.K.

Dechaios said:
I guess the update servers are probably overloaded from people buying this edition, so that's also why it's gonna take forever.

I doubt it. It's ALWAYS slow to download all the updates when you first install the game. It takes forever.

Alchemy

23% now, seems to be going faster then advertised. My work has a pretty good internet connection so it makes sense. Hoping I can pull these download speeds at home.

elohel

Chuck said:
Ouch. The servers must be getting hammered.

last time i installed FFXI(on saturday/sunday) took like 7 hours total

5 to update n shit

so no its not the servers lol or maybe it is but

its always taken forever to install ffxi shit

oh i was on ps2 tho so ....

hgplayer1

I would love to be online tonight to make fun of all the noobs in our LS and such but I dont even know if I will have electricity at my house when I get home. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I did a full install from scratch over the weekend, took 3 hours.

Few questions.

1. Can you buy this new pack and get item if you already ahve an account?

2. Anyone tried using windower on steam version? (and does steam version install as easily as other steam games?). Might rebuy the game just for that ease of install later on.

Alchemy

DrForester said:

Few questions.

2. Anyone tried using windower on steam version? (and does steam version install as easily as other steam games?). Might rebuy the game just for that ease of install later on.

1.) You get a separate code for the hat, so I'd assume you just drop that into your current account like any other item give away.

2.) I don't think the Steam version really uses Steam. I got Rift and DCUO through Steam and after the games installed I just launched them normally outside of steam through their launchers. I'd assume you can just skip Steam and launch PO outside of it. Steam is just convenient for quick downloads and managing CD Keys.

ZetaEpyon

DrForester said:
It's a separate code from what I understand, so yes this should work. Obviously you couldn't use it on the new account then, though.

I'm not, but I'm pretty sure this works.

Edit: Damn, that was fast. :O

highly recommend the update torrent several, several posts back. patching took me about 15 minutes total. bluegartr i think?

edit: well. it seems to be stretching out at this point. still think it helps?

Alchemy

paranoidfortean said:
highly recommend the update torrent several, several posts back. patching took me about 15 minutes total. bluegartr i think?

How easy was it? You just move the files to an update folder and PlayOnline takes care of the rest?

I might actually get to play tonight o_O

DrForester said:

Few questions.

Yes, the game code must be registered via the additional services. The Beret code must be registered via "reward codes".

Yes, I play on windower with the steam version. The steam version is simply FFXI installed to the steam director.

Loto

pancakesandsex said:
Yes, the game code must be registered via the additional services. The Beret code must be registered via "reward codes".

Yes, I play on windower with the steam version. The steam version is simply FFXI installed to the steam director.

I think i am in the right place, before I register its asking which service I want to register, and I get a choice of all the expansions/addons. Do I pick any one of those?

Alchemy

Loto said:
I think i am in the right place, before I register its asking which service I want to register, and I get a choice of all the expansions/addons. Do I pick any one of those?

They should all be selected right? When I set up my account it had all the expansions and such already selected for me.

Loto

Alchemy said:
They should all be selected right? When I set up my account it had all the expansions and such already selected for me.

They are all visible but the bubble to select which I want to register will only let me choose one. All meaning every expansion and add on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom