• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loto

I just picked one to register and after it finished it said I have more games to register and asks if you can do all at once. So yay all good!

I thought it might be a router issue so I hardlined my Macbook and it's still doing it. If it keeps up I'll walk a block to my school's library and try their T1 line. /sigh

Alchemy

paranoidfortean said:
yeah just copying and replacing files into the directory.

Did you have any issues unzipping the files? I was getting errors, so I deleted them and I'm downloading again to see.

DarkKyo

I just logged in.. The name is Pulsifer if someone wants to shoot me an invite. I'm in Bastok. Do we have to actually meet to join the LS?

Start Menu -> Programs -> PlayOnline -> FFXI -> FFXI Config

Change the background res to 1024x1024, makes things look much crisper. You can also tweak some other minor graphics settings.

Alchemy

Chuck said:
Start Menu -> Programs -> PlayOnline -> FFXI -> FFXI Config

Change the background res to 1024x1024, makes things look much crisper. You can also tweak some other minor graphics settings.

I did that, but I remember there being ways to make it look even better. Registry tweaks or something. Need to investigate.

Jrmint

Any pearlsack holders on in Windy that could get me a pearl?

Name is Jrmint I'll be on for another half hour or so before work.

Skel said:
Not yet, I'll be on tonight for it.

The graphics in this game have definitely not aged well since I last played (2007).

As you progress to newer areas things start looking nicer. It really makes exploring new places fun.

ZetaEpyon

Also, don't forget to tweak your graphics settings, it makes a big difference (see B.K.'s link above).

The graphics may not have aged well in a technical sense (not that they were technically fantastic ever), but I think the overall art design is still far ahead of many current MMOs. It's a bit of a shame the engine is so poorly implemented, many of the in-game assets are actually very high quality. If you've ever seen a render of the untouched character models done in something like 3D Studio Max, you'll know what I mean.

elohel

ZetaEpyon said:
Also, don't forget to tweak your graphics settings, it makes a big difference (see B.K.'s link above).

The graphics may not have aged well in a technical sense (not that they were technically fantastic ever), but I think the overall art design is still far ahead of many current MMOs. It's a bit of a shame the engine is so poorly implemented, many of the in-game assets are actually very high quality. If you've ever seen a render of the untouched character models done in something like 3D Studio Max, you'll know what I mean.

in what way is it ahead?

I think you're confusing things about the game that were ahead of their time for everything being ahead

which part of the art they used is ahead? just curious not lookin to pick the ol' who's mmo is better fight or w/e but I'm curious what you mean

ZetaEpyon

I guess I'm mainly looking to separate the technical prowess (or lack thereof, by now) of the graphics engine from the style of the art used in the game.

Maybe it would help to say that the inverse of what I'm getting at is represented by a lot of the newer fantasy MMOs (Aion, RIFT, Tera, etc.). They all have technically great graphics - effects, textures, and so on - but seem to have some generic feeling to their look. There's no question that all those games have much better textures than XI, for example. But at the same time, I feel like there's some sort of character missing.

Maybe it's simply the fact that I have not spent nearly as much time in those games as I have in XI (Aion would be 2nd of the games I've mentioned). I could certainly be somewhat biased, having first started XI at North American launch in 2003.

As for the mention about how FFXI's in-game assets can look with a better rendering process, I found this render from several years ago:
http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/5179/dynamismagiciansfrontpage4kc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom