• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

So if I understand Abyssea power leveling correct, high level people run around mass murdering mobs and the lowbies run around opening all the Sturdy Pyxis chests that drop?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alchemy said:
So if I understand Abyssea power leveling correct, high level people run around mass murdering mobs and the lowbies run around opening all the Sturdy Pyxis chests that drop?

Sometimes. Opening chests is as simple as a one line macro. Usually the lowbies check the big gold chests as they're the ones that often times aren't worth opening. But it's not uncommon for someone else to do chests, not always the lowbie responsibility.

NOTE: If it's not your responsibility,and you can (especially on mage jobs), spam lowbie spells to try and keep your skills respectable. Biggest problem by far with Abyssea power leveling is that it leaves your character seriously underskilled on weapon and magic skills.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alchemy said:
Wait, I thought you had to do the number guessing game to open the chests? How the hell do you macro that?

No one does the number game. People buy a ton of keys to just open them. After one exp session, you're going to have a TON of curor to burn.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alchemy said:
I see, thanks for the info.

Yeah the curor armor sets aren't very good (especially not compared to AF3). Only thing you want to buy with Curuor is all the key items and then Forbidden Keys for chests.

B.K.

DrForester said:
Yeah the curor armor sets aren't very good (especially not compared to AF3). Only thing you want to buy with Curuor is all the key items and then Forbidden Keys for chests.

The Perle are decent gear if you're a damage dealer. You can always use Haste.

I'm really enjoying my time back. The only thing that annoys me is travel times, but at the same time, I appreciate that everything isn't so fucking close together. Makes it all feel bigger and more alive.

I'm really into the ability to solo. Before, sitting around waiting for a party, I'd always wish I could just solo and get a respectable amount of xp. Now I can. Everything seems to have changed for the better from my perspective.

DarkKyo

paranoidfortean said:
I'm really enjoying my time back. The only thing that annoys me is travel times, but at the same time, I appreciate that everything isn't so fucking close together. Makes it all feel bigger and more alive.

I'm really into the ability to solo. Before, sitting around waiting for a party, I'd always wish I could just solo and get a respectable amount of xp. Now I can. Everything seems to have changed for the better from my perspective.
I also have a problem with how freaking long it takes to travel. And that's with the super kupower quickening + destrier speed boost!

There needs to be a balance between the horribly long travel times of FF11 and the really dumbed down fast traveling of WoW :p

Alchemy

Traveling is so much nicer now, warp scrolls with conquest points and the FoV books make it so I can pop back to town and back to leveling instantly. So good.

DarkKyo

Alchemy said:
Traveling is so much nicer now, warp scrolls with conquest points and the FoV books make it so I can pop back to town and back to leveling instantly. So good.
FoV books help you travel too? I've only seen quests in them...

DarkKyo

Interesting... also, I'll be doing my first party later on tonight probably... where do you party around level 20? Still Qufim I assume? Also, do you think I could get a party in Qufim at level 18 or do I need to hit 20 first?

Alchemy

Dechaios said:
Interesting... also, I'll be doing my first party later on tonight probably... where do you party around level 20? Still Qufim I assume? Also, do you think I could get a party in Qufim at level 18 or do I need to hit 20 first?

I dunno, but I stayed in the dunes until 30 on my MNK. I solo'd pages and did a couple of level synch parties.

ZetaEpyon said:
mnk (low levels), nin, sam, maybe war?

How low level for MNK? I sorta want to avoid leveling anymore subs and just get DNC to 50 so I can make a permanent switch over to BST/DNC.

Velion

Alchemy said:
I dunno, but I stayed in the dunes until 30 on my MNK. I solo'd pages and did a couple of level synch parties.

How low level for MNK? I sorta want to avoid leveling anymore subs and just get DNC to 50 so I can make a permanent switch over to BST/DNC.
Only need mnk sub @ lvl 10.

Alchemy

I meant what level do people switch from DNC/MNK to something else. I already got MNK up to 30 and planned on doing DNC/MNK to 50.

DarkKyo

Great party in the dunes last night. Hg lent me some scale armor... do you want it back now or do you mind if I borrow it until I get an upgrade? I appreciate it, btw.

hgplayer1

Dechaios said:
Great party in the dunes last night. Hg lent me some scale armor... do you want it back now or do you mind if I borrow it until I get an upgrade? I appreciate it, btw.

hang on to it unless you decide your done with it then just send it to me. I might buy another set if I have to level something.

elohel

Dechaios said:

man wtf i keep missing when people are on i wanna pray....

:mad:

DarkKyo

hgplayer1 said:
hang on to it unless you decide your done with it then just send it to me. I might buy another set if I have to level something.
Thanks a lot! I may keep the hands for now but I sent you back the body and legs.

B.K.

The power went out last night t about 11:30 as I was partying with HG and Pulsifier in Dunes. Didn't come back on until after 5:00am. :/

hgplayer1

B.K. said:
The power went out last night t about 11:30 as I was partying with HG and Pulsifier in Dunes. Didn't come back on until after 5:00am. :/

ouch. was wondering what happened.

party went pretty well and we got more ls people in later.

DarkKyo

B.K. said:
That sucks! We missed you big time. We were 5 people big for awhile there.

Alchemy

So as a 34 DNC, outside of leveling and catching up on missions, is there anything in particular I should be worried about doing? I guess getting ready for Abyssea is a good thing to start with.

ZetaEpyon

Get the first Abyssea stuff done ASAP if you haven't already (just need to talk to Joachim, I think). That way you'll start accruing traverser stones and won't have to wait around when you actually get to the point where you want to do stuff.

Other than that, I dont think that the stuff to do at lower levels has really changed all that much. Like you mentioned -- leveling, doing missions, unlocking jobs, other quests you want to do, etc.

Alchemy said:
So as a 34 DNC, outside of leveling and catching up on missions, is there anything in particular I should be worried about doing? I guess getting ready for Abyssea is a good thing to start with.
Don't forget if you end up in Abyssea with the hopes of leveling to 90 quickly, you've still got the limit break quests to do... otherwise you'll just stop at 50

Alchemy

BentMyWookiee said:
Don't forget if you end up in Abyssea with the hopes of leveling to 90 quickly, you've still got the limit break quests to do... otherwise you'll just stop at 50

Thats good for DNC, I was only planning on taking him to 45 anyways to sub when I switch over to BST.

DarkKyo

ZetaEpyon said:
Get the first Abyssea stuff done ASAP if you haven't already (just need to talk to Joachim, I think). That way you'll start accruing traverser stones and won't have to wait around when you actually get to the point where you want to do stuff.

Other than that, I dont think that the stuff to do at lower levels has really changed all that much. Like you mentioned -- leveling, doing missions, unlocking jobs, other quests you want to do, etc.
So you're likely to level faster in Abyssea? Can you solo there? What level do people generally head there? I started reading about Abyssea but jesus christ there is a lot of info...

hgplayer1

ZetaEpyon said:

Once you talk to him he will start producing stones for you but in order for him to give you any more stones you have to visit and Maw and enter Abyssea. You can immediately exit Abyssea or you can turn in the stone for visitant status and then leave.

hgplayer1

Dechaios said:
So you're likely to level faster in Abyssea? Can you solo there? What level do people generally head there? I started reading about Abyssea but jesus christ there is a lot of info...

Ideally you want to be level 75 because you dont get the full exp bonuses in Abyssea until you are 75. If you get invited to an Abyssea party at level 30 dont hesitate to go. It will be very dangerous for you in there at that level though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom