• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loona

Easiest way to get Zinc Ores? My ninja could use that scroll now heh.

I vaguely recall reading that non-repeatable quests give more reputation that repeatable ones, so my strategy was the same I've used for everything else in the game - try to do all the quests I have flagged, which in this case means the Norg-related stuff.
For its repeatables, since inventory was always an issue, I just set my home point in Port San d'Oria and always did the airship contraband quest whenever I needed to go to Jeuno - I got 1k gil when I succeeded, and I could get an additional 300 gil of profit from the trip with its lost item mini-quest.

Loona

what are all these ores, merits, etc that everyone is talking about ?

You might want to be more specific...

Ores are basically raw minerals you can usually get by mining or killing worms (there are other sources, but these tend to be more consistent).

Merits are point you can accumulate instead of EXP when you're past level 75, which you can use to buy new abilities, improve combat or magic skills or raise chosen stats - this requires talking to the moogle next to Maat once you're 75 iirc.

isual

You might want to be more specific...

Ores are basically raw minerals you can usually get by mining or killing worms (there are other sources, but these tend to be more consistent).

Merits are point you can accumulate instead of EXP when you're past level 75, which you can use to buy new abilities, improve combat or magic skills or raise chosen stats - this requires talking to the moogle next to Maat once you're 75 iirc.

Interesting. Is it worth while to level up stats even when the level limit is 99 ?

Loona

Interesting. Is it worth while to level up stats even when the level limit is 99 ?

Sure, especially now with a new expansion released after the cap became 99 - you can't raise all stats fully, so by then you're expected to make a choice, but it depends a lot on what job(s) you favor.

Caj814

ok. so im at maat limit break now. im playing as a monk. ant tips ?

Make sure you're capped with your hand to hand skill as well as your level. Make sure you have up to date gear that can protect you from his damage and you may want to grab an opo opo necklace from the AH if you see one along with some sleeping powder to raise up your TP from the begnning so you can start off with a weapon skill. you can also add an Icarus wing in there afterwards to regain 100 TP and do a solo skillchain. This along with activatinv your 1 hour ability is what I did on my WAR to take out Maat in 10 secs without taking any hits back in 2004. So it may be overkill now with all the updates and adjustments

Loona

Optimize everything - use food to boost your stats, preferably STR, start the match with a well-charged Chi Blast (use Boost about 9 time before shooting it - between those, use other things like Focus and Dodge), then engage.
If you set things up to start with full TP, also recommended, unload your strongest weapon skill right at the start - which is strongest is likely to be affected by your gear, test it on other mobs beforehand, but at that level it's either Howling Fist or Raging Fists.
From there, Hundred Fists, and use you weaponskill everytime TP reaches 100%.

It's been a few years since I did it, which involved a couple of failures, but IIRC, bringing good the final time was what made the difference - I don't recall which by now, but it's probably in a guide in the wiki.

Good luck, break his leg!

isual

Optimize everything - use food to boost your stats, preferably STR, start the match with a well-charged Chi Blast (use Boost about 9 time before shooting it - between those, use other things like Focus and Dodge), then engage.
If you set things up to start with full TP, also recommended, unload your strongest weapon skill right at the start - which is strongest is likely to be affected by your gear, test it on other mobs beforehand, but at that level it's either Howling Fist or Raging Fists.
From there, Hundred Fists, and use you weaponskill everytime TP reaches 100%.

It's been a few years since I did it, which involved a couple of failures, but IIRC, bringing good the final time was what made the difference - I don't recall which by now, but it's probably in a guide in the wiki.

Good luck, break his leg!

Make sure you're capped with your hand to hand skill as well as your level. Make sure you have up to date gear that can protect you from his damage and you may want to grab an opo opo necklace from the AH if you see one along with some sleeping powder to raise up your TP from the begnning so you can start off with a weapon skill. you can also add an Icarus wing in there afterwards to regain 100 TP and do a solo skillchain. This along with activatinv your 1 hour ability is what I did on my WAR to take out Maat in 10 secs without taking any hits back in 2004. So it may be overkill now with all the updates and adjustments

thanks. Someone told me to get AF armor, but I really don't want to do it right now.

Loona

thanks. Someone told me to get AF armor, but I really don't want to do it right now.

It could help with "optimize everything" philosophy, unless you've got gear that's better than AF for that level. I spent some time getting campaign armor, which is level 68, but that took a while.

Loona

Which Maat fight is the easiest?

White Mage tends to carry that reputation - apparently for some jobs there are special winning conditions, and WHMs is survival for a long enough amount of time - thief, for example, can win with a successful steal.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Fry's doesn't have it either. I want to get the $39 version because it's got all the stuff I don't have post-WotG. I've got plenty to re-learn in the meantime, hopefully they (somebody) will get it in-stock soon. Can't believe there's no DL version for the 360.

Ah, that sucks, but then mine only had one copy of each 360 version when I went.

Azuran

Banned
I'm also dreading the hunt for those testimonies lol.

They're not that bad actually. It's also better these days since you get 3 shots at it with one testimony. They always tend to drop for me within 5 kills without TH... unless you're doing it as THF, then well, I wish you all the good luck in the world, because you'll really need it.

They're not that bad actually. It's also better these days since you get 3 shots at it with one testimony. They always tend to drop for me within 5 kills without TH... unless you're doing it as THF, then well, I wish you all the good luck in the world, because you'll really need it.

I think I know of some safe spots and I'll be doing it as either Monk or Ninja. I think Monk will be easier to get, as far as the testimonies are concerned.

Thf testimony is easy.

In the jungle near the temple of ugly there is a ledge with a single tonberry who carries the testimony. Pull him with a ranged weapon, wear him down a little, steal, and hide. He'll depop or go back to his ledge, and you can try again if you fail. Just disengage or turn before you hide so you don't swing at him again before he depops.

I need to do the Maat fight as RDM. I'm pretty sure choosing an RDM was a bad choice for this reason.

milk-was-a-bad-choice-o.gif

Welp Ninja at level 61, Monk 60...time to level up Dancer so I can solo stuff reliably. At least until I can move to the server where my friend is!

isual

Need to get a monk's testimony. Do you guys know the best place to get one ? I went to davoi and pretty much got gankged by the dreadnoughts and champions

Kokonoe

Banned
Need to get a monk's testimony. Do you guys know the best place to get one ? I went to davoi and pretty much got gankged by the dreadnoughts and champions

Ask for some help in Port Jeuno, your other option would be unlocking dancer and leveling it up so you can subjob it on Monk.

It's much better to shout for help, you can also try using the help desk function on the menu and looking for mentors in Port Jeuno.

isual

finally got the monk testimony. I went to maat, pretty much got owned.

I can only use this testimony twice now.

I suppose I'll do some missions, get an artifact armor or two, level grind to 70 a couple of the starter jobs, and possibly get that advanced job .

Loona

If even with artifact armor you have trouble, look into Windurst campaign armor, it's level 68 and has some nice stats, but takes a while to get due to the delays between evaluations.

Kokonoe

Banned
Thf testimony is easy.

wvTvuvt.png

MmGtqjj.png

ilcw9VNleqFFi.gif

YOU DO NOT KNOW MY PAIN!

Sometime around 2008 I played on the Sylph server, I wasn't apart of any linkshell or whichever and I got FFXI so I could have a console MMORPG to play, fast forward to to this awful experience.

I kid you not, it took me 7 tries to beat Maat, and I never succeeded with a steal. This was when the Maat fight was where if you lost with your testimony you had to refarm it, unlike now where you get three tries. I ended up following the tutorial and by myself on 65 Thief, this is what happened.

I would go farm the testimony, and the only way to get the testimony is to steal from Tonberries. These Tonberries would do throat stab every time, and each battle was a fight for survival, I even died a few times just trying to steal from them. Then, if you don't get it, you have to wait 5 MINUTES to steal again, and this adds up over time, especially if you were unlucky like me. So, after about a hour and 30 minutes I eventually got my testimony and went to find Maat, I went in there with just some basic stealing gear, attempted to steal, and it didn't work and I lost. After that defeat I fished for Moat Carps (my only way of making money) and managed to get the best steal gear you could possibly get AND I went and completed the artifact armor quest by myself.

With the best steal gear, each and every single annoying time it would take me at least an hour to get a testimony, and killing the Tonberries would take forever. I tried everything. Weakening them till they barely had HP, trying to enfeeble them, any myth you could possibly think of I was trying to do to raise my odds and it did no such thing. With the best steal gear you can get, I failed Maat 5 more times, using potions, using the artifact feet so I could flee longer in chances I could land another steal (which I would do some times due to perfect dodge) and no dice at all. I joined a linkshell on around the 3rd or 4th attempt, but not a single time anyone would assist me when I asked for help killing the Tonberries.

Eventually I gave up on the idea of stealing from Maat and I started farming and farming and farming for gil which took me a while. I fished, I fished, I fished and I fished some more, stacks of Moat Carp for 4k until I got up to 300k gil. I bought all this crazy stuff like evasion gear, blink band, opa opa necklace and was putting myself to sleep for TP, vile elixir, hi potions, x potions, I even fleed during the fight while he did perfect dodge and I eventually won. However, my victory was bitter sweet since I was now broke, and thinking about all I had to go through compared to other people drove me insane.

and the thing is, I even attempted to steal during that fight and it didn't work.

AAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!!

Any testimony that has a THIEF of all jobs, farming Tonberries, of all creatures, is literally hell on earth. My respect goes out to the thieves who labor through that.

YOU DO NOT KNOW MY PAIN!

Sometime around 2008 I played on the Sylph server, I wasn't apart of any linkshell or whichever and I got FFXI so I could have a console MMORPG to play, fast forward to to this awful experience.

I kid you not, it took me 7 tries to beat Maat, and I never succeeded with a steal. This was when the Maat fight was where if you lost with your testimony you had to refarm it, unlike now where you get three tries. I ended up following the tutorial and by myself on 65 Thief, this is what happened.

I would go farm the testimony, and the only way to get the testimony is to steal from Tonberries. These Tonberries would do throat stab every time, and each battle was a fight for survival, I even died a few times just trying to steal from them. Then, if you don't get it, you have to wait 5 MINUTES to steal again, and this adds up over time, especially if you were unlucky like me. So, after about a hour and 30 minutes I eventually got my testimony and went to find Maat, I went in there with just some basic stealing gear, attempted to steal, and it didn't work and I lost. After that defeat I fished for Moat Carps (my only way of making money) and managed to get the best steal gear you could possibly get AND I went and completed the artifact armor quest by myself.

With the best steal gear, each and every single annoying time it would take me at least an hour to get a testimony, and killing the Tonberries would take forever. I tried everything. Weakening them till they barely had HP, trying to enfeeble them, any myth you could possibly think of I was trying to do to raise my odds and it did no such thing. With the best steal gear you can get, I failed Maat 5 more times, using potions, using the artifact feet so I could flee longer in chances I could land another steal (which I would do some times due to perfect dodge) and no dice at all. I joined a linkshell on around the 3rd or 4th attempt, but not a single time anyone would assist me when I asked for help killing the Tonberries.

Eventually I gave up on the idea of stealing from Maat and I started farming and farming and farming for gil which took me a while. I fished, I fished, I fished and I fished some more, stacks of Moat Carp for 4k until I got up to 300k gil. I bought all this crazy stuff like evasion gear, blink band, opa opa necklace and was putting myself to sleep for TP, vile elixir, hi potions, x potions, I even fleed during the fight while he did perfect dodge and I eventually won. However, my victory was bitter sweet since I was now broke, and thinking about all I had to go through compared to other people drove me insane.

and the thing is, I even attempted to steal during that fight and it didn't work.

AAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!!

I did my thf testimony before the changes under the 75 cap as well. The trick is not to fight the tonberries, but to steal, then hide whether it fails or not.

I also tried it at 65 and failed miserably about 6-7 times before I said fuck it, got to 70, geared up for solo skillchains, and beat his ass to the ground (this took about 2 more tries to get the timing, my opo-necklace was borrowed.).

Suck it up princess!

isual

My weapon skills are seriously underlevelled for a 70 monk. Where should I go to level it up ?

also, what advanced job's quests' are simple and not too strenuous to acquire ?

Try to find places with enemies that check as a decent challenge to you...like the beastmen strongholds as long as you can find a safe place to fight (Davoi, Beadeaux, Yagudo castle).

EDIT: Dark Knight seems pretty easy, time consuming but fairly easy. So does Paladin. Ranger was dead simple.

Loona

My weapon skills are seriously underlevelled for a 70 monk. Where should I go to level it up ?

also, what advanced job's quests' are simple and not too strenuous to acquire ?

Off the top of my head, at monk 70 and with a job that can sneak/invis, most are within reach (iirc corsair was trickier on account of the lamia fang key and getting past true sight mobs).
Bard is just legwork, the squid for the beastmaster quest shouldn't be too troublesome, dancer is legwork in the past, blue mage is leg work in Aht Urghan with maybe some sneak/invis.

As for skill-ups, maybe join an Ooubliette party? I got some level on thf there, and the dagger skill-ups were enough for me to flag that weapon's weapon skill quest and beyond. Getting there does require some sneak/inv though.

isual

progress for today:

Got the first af for monk which was the weapon, and got the dancer job.
I'm still stuck at maat

Loona

progress for today:

Got the first af for monk which was the weapon, and got the dancer job.

That weapon's not very good, but if it's better than what you've been using...

If you have access to Chateu d'Oraguille in San d'Oria, Curilla has a quest (The General's Secret or something like that) that involves going deep into Ghelsba, and the reward when you complete it is a pair or knuckles that are better than the monk AF weapon despite being for a lower level.

For Maat I think I used the Wagh Bagnahks or however that's spelled... or did I manage to buy some with allied notes?... It's been a while, but anyway, for the Maat fight you'll want something close to level 70.
Now that people don't have to update gear every few levels to earn spots in parties due to the way levelling works, the Maat fight is pretty much the one thing forcing people to "keep up" to progress.

Loona

Good luck with the other pieces, you may need some help with some of them.

True, I needed some help getting the keys for the coffers that gave access to some of them.
Then again, I hadn't levelled dancer as a sub then, and in those days guard was harder to skill up, so I guess I took a bit more damage and didn't have a decent way to self-heal.

Today I found something amazing while checking the FFXIAH forums: http://ffxidb.com/
Apparently it stores data collected from 3rd party programs some people use, namely drop rates, and distinguishes between mobs of the same type and name in different zones. And has links for the corresponding pages in other sites and wikis.

What this means is, if you're looking to farm something, it may be a useful resource to check where to focus your efforts, and relies less on misinformation and wiki ommissions.

A couple of things it allowed me to clarify was that:

- the scroll of Fire II does not drop from the Thousand Eyes in Pso'Xja as the wiki says - I never buy a scroll from an NPC if I can farm it, so I guess I can "surrender" and buy this one instead of wasting time at Pso'Xja (although I still have to get its map and handle a few quests there)

- there's a way to farm a silk cloth for one of the black mage AF quests that does not envolve despoiling Revenants in Eldieme Necropolis (S) in the middle of even more undead - in fact, it's a regular drop from Gespensts, regular ghosts one usually avoids while levelling on leeches at the Oubliette; considering I've been levelling thief to be able to despoil from Revenants, this is sort of a relief...

On the topic of getting AF armor pieces for the older jobs, I guess that site can also be handy to check for mobs with the highest odds of dropping stuff like coffer keys.

Loona

Loona, check out the soul crushing drop rates on anything good from voidwatch D:

I don't even bother with that - the voidwatch fights I've done so far I've done for quest completion, though I might redo some for gear or BLU spells if it still seems worth it after SoA's new gear is properly compared.

Besides, my inventory's always so full that VW fights just fill it even more with stuff that usually doesn't even matter, so I'm trying to cover content, mostly quests, for which I've kept some items in storage.

This'll be real handy for a handful of other spells I kept wondering were farmable or not, and so didn't buy back then, like Barblind (which the wiki claims dropped from Goblin Leechers in Dangruf Wadi, but never dropped forr me then, and those mobs were probably replaced with high-level opo-opos and whatnot about a year ago or so) - I'll have to review my mage jobs' spell lists (well, and the bard stuff) for what's missing, and just buy the non-farmables to get that out of the way.
Time and gil will be spent in Selbina today, but that OCD factor is getting some closure at last...

isual

So I'm still stuck at maat. I went back to sandoria to level up my dancer a bit. I'll probably get other advance jobs, and maybe start on sandoria mission 4 'magicite'. Really want to get that airship pass. Chocobo riding is taking a while .

I know where the bedoyah tree is at now, but I'm taking so much damage even at level 70 as a monk.

what's the optimum weapon for a dancer ?

Good luck with the other pieces, you may need some help with some of them.

thanks. I'm just asking for help in jeuno, and I usually get help.

Loona

Got Evisceration today and my black mage AF pants... boy I hate the Eldieme necropolis - they made navigating Garlaige and Quicksand Caves easier, but they just had to keep that artifact around, and you can't even get all AF pieces from the place in one go, since they're mutually exclusive. Still, a step forward.

what's the optimum weapon for a dancer ?

Dagger, although I've seen peopple defend the use of hand-to-hand until the teen levels with a monk sub, but might as well dagger it all for skill ups if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom