• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

isual

Guys, I have a level 21 monk. Am totally brand new and need help levelling. I am on bahamut server. Currently at the valkyrum dunes.

where do I go next to level grind ? my main goal in game is to ding 75 on as many jobs as i can.

Kokonoe

Banned
Guys, I have a level 21 monk. Am totally brand new and need help levelling. I am on bahamut server. Currently at the valkyrum dunes.

where do I go next to level grind ? my main goal in game is to ding 75 on as many jobs as i can.

Here you go.

From levels 12-30 go to the Gusgen Mines in Konschat Highlands for Alliance Fields of Valor partying.

From levels 30-50 go to the Crawlers Nest in Rolanberry Fields for the same.

Parties in this are pretty casual now, you walk up in the place and see people killing things and either sit there with your party flag on, or /shout {Any vacancies?} and someone will invite you when there's a spot. It's pretty much a murder fest and very simplified compared to how it use to be.

You also can leave when you want cause it's an alliance of three parties unless things are slow. When you hit max level is when you can start doing low man parties, exp requires parties but it's not difficult at all to get into a party like it use to be. You can be any job now, it doesn't matter what you are for EXP.

Loona

As for tips for someone new, keeping a wiki window visible probably helps to make the most of the things you gets and places you're in.

Conquest points can be a nice way to access gear for early levels for no gil.

That's a lot more, but I don't know, something about playing a server that isn't so jam packed sounds kinda nice.

A bit of a double edged sword - the more people, the gerater the odds of finding someone who wants to do the same things - it's mostly annoying when competing for mobs, but to get story stuff done it sounds easier.

isual

As for tips for someone new, keeping a wiki window visible probably helps to make the most of the things you gets and places you're in.

Conquest points can be a nice way to access gear for early levels for no gil.

A bit of a double edged sword - the more people, the gerater the odds of finding someone who wants to do the same things - it's mostly annoying when competing for mobs, but to get story stuff done it sounds easier.

how about gear ? Is buying gear on the auction house the best thing ? I'm getting owned by mobs in the valkyrum dunes

Loona

how about gear ? Is buying gear on the auction house the best thing ? I'm getting owned by mobs in the valkyrum dunes

Another reason to check the wiki is to see what gear you can get for free from quests, I resorted to that a lot early on.

If you're in Valkurm, if you can make it past the bats in the tunnel to the southwest, Gusgen Mines, which you can reach from Konshtat Highlands, is your best bet.

Kokonoe

Banned
Anyone know of items that more expensive on Sylph then on Asura? Might bring something over if I transfer to make a bit of gil.

isual

Another reason to check the wiki is to see what gear you can get for free from quests, I resorted to that a lot early on.

If you're in Valkurm, if you can make it past the bats in the tunnel to the southwest, Gusgen Mines, which you can reach from Konshtat Highlands, is your best bet.

I'm pretty hardcore, so I'll try to use this weekend and gain as much xp with this double xp event

isual

I'm in the gusgen mines. Am i supposed to just join a party and stand and gain experience ? I'm only getting 20 or so xp per skeleton kill. I do have that skeleton training tome.

creid

I'm in the gusgen mines. Am i supposed to just join a party and stand and gain experience ? I'm only getting 20 or so xp per skeleton kill. I do have that skeleton training tome.
Need to start the training regime that everyone else is doing. After killing the right batch of enemies, you'll get a few hundred XP. Repeat forever.

Caj814

just a repost from the PSA thread:
Had a question for those who play on multiple systems. I wanted to buy the 360 collectors edition as a back up whenever I have my PC preoccupied with heavy workloads (editing, rendering etc). I wouldn't need a separate purchase for the PC since everything still ties to the content ID, would that be correct?

Was leveling my 38BST in Korokola tunnel and got a Carbuncle ruby off a leech when I wasn't even looking for it. I remember spending hours on that damn thing in the past so that really made my day. Not looking forward to hunting for weather conditions for SMN though.

isual

And your page bonus will increase with each page you finish till you hit the cap.

i'm still at gusgen mines. i'm getting about 1300xp per 6 kills. already level 32. An hour afterwards:

I met someone who was kind enough to assist me in the direction of juno. I went to the crawlers nest and have my homepoint at juno currently. holy crap, does my head hurt. currently level 34 monk.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Had a question for those who play on multiple systems. I wanted to buy the 360 collectors edition as a back up whenever I have my PC preoccupied with heavy workloads (editing, rendering etc). I wouldn't need a separate purchase for the PC since everything still ties to the content ID, would that be correct?

Yes.

Code registration on my account went like this...
FFXI PS2
Rise of the Zilart PS2
Chains of Promathia PS2
Treasures of Aht Urghan 360
Wings of the Goddess 360
Minis PC
Abyssea PC
Seekers of Adoulin 360

B-Dex

You'll still need to install the PC version. It will let you login but tell you none of the expansions are installed.

Just restarted after quitting in Jan 2006. Would be nicer if I started with more spaces in my bag, only 30 spots means I keep having to drop a lot of items which is annoying due to not enough space. Up to level 17 lol. Been fun so far.

hgplayer1

i'm still at gusgen mines. i'm getting about 1300xp per 6 kills. already level 32. An hour afterwards:

I met someone who was kind enough to assist me in the direction of juno. I went to the crawlers nest and have my homepoint at juno currently. holy crap, does my head hurt. currently level 34 monk.

I did pretty much the same thing tonight. Got my WAR to 35 in gusgen. Will probably hit 50 tomorrow.

Loona

Was leveling my 38BST in Korokola tunnel and got a Carbuncle ruby off a leech when I wasn't even looking for it. I remember spending hours on that damn thing in the past so that really made my day. Not looking forward to hunting for weather conditions for SMN though.

Those things keep dropping once you're levelling in the Oubliette, so nowdays there's little point in hunting for them specifically.

As for the weather, between the outpost warps (especially during Thrifty Transit days), the new waypoints and voidwatch warps there should be plenty of ways to eventually see all weather types - the wiki covers the likelier areas for each type, so you can just check for stuff that can be done in each so that trips have a double purpose and time won't feel wasted.

isual

I did pretty much the same thing tonight. Got my WAR to 35 in gusgen. Will probably hit 50 tomorrow.

I was thinking as well; should I be better off levelling here or going to the caverns ? I chose the latter because that is the optimal leveling route as folks say, and you get double xp from the books.

what server are you on ? i am on bahamut

Also:
Those things keep dropping once you're levelling in the Oubliette, so nowdays there's little point in hunting for them specifically.

As for the weather, between the outpost warps (especially during Thrifty Transit days), the new waypoints and voidwatch warps there should be plenty of ways to eventually see all weather types - the wiki covers the likelier areas for each type, so you can just check for stuff that can be done in each so that trips have a double purpose and time won't feel wasted.

what do you guys mean by weather ? is this the only way to get summons ?

Loona

what do you guys mean by weather ? is this the only way to get summons ?

To unlock summoner, after an initial cutscene you get get after getting a Carbuncle's Ruby (more info here: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/I_Can_Hear_a_Rainbow), you're asked to expose yourself to all the possible weather effects in the game, specifically tied with the game's 6 main elements (fire, water, thunder, earth, wind, ice - the more time you spend in the game the more you'll notice how the game's element system is pretty pervasive on just about everything).
Now, there's a difference between an area's apparent environment, and the actual element-relevant weather - it can look sunny, but have "neutral" weather. When it actually has weather, you'll see an icon on the bottom left of the screen, above the text area. For example, in La Theine Plateau, IIRC there can be rainy weather - that's visible if you're there while it's happening, but the other eloquent way to see it is that you'll see a water drop icon on the part of the screen I mentioned. In the northlands areas you're likely to find ice weather, and even double ice weather (two icons) (dark weather too, but that's not relevant to the SMN unlock quest), but regarless of the weather in effect, you'll always see snow everywhere, so the icons are a reliable reference.
Also, some areas get some cool visual effects during weather period, like sandstorms in the Altepa desert (earth weather), the heat distorting the way you see the environment in Halvung (fire waether), plain ol' rain is some places during water weather, etc...

Anyway, for the SMN quest you need to zone into areas where the 6 sifferent types are taking place, as the main avatars all have elemental associations, so this basic exposure is considered a basic step. You'll see a cutscene when you enter an outdoors zone with a weather type you still need when the quest is active.
This can help: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Weather (and can give you some perspective on th insane amount of detail that went into making the environments in the game feel like living worlds).

Now getting the avatars themselves is a different process, and there are 2 ways for each of the basic ones, but they're separate from actually unlocking summoner, they just require you to beat a battle against the avatar in question, and there's a level 20 version when you're already a summoner, and an uncapped version that can be done on any job, where getting the avatar is only one of the possible options - IIRC, you can get them even before unlocking summoner in this way, which is how I think I did it back in the day.
for the level 20 SMN versions you're teleported to the fight spot, but they might be trickier, for the others you'll need to travel to the fight locations with the quest active.
This only applies to the 6 primary element ones, the rest other than Carbuncle have higher level and (outside Fenrir) mission progress requirements.

If/when you unlock summoner, the final CS for which takes place in La Theine Plateau, if you can take the time to look into the sky, as a rainbow should appear soon after.
To this day I kinda regret getting that CS on the way to a Valkurm party, so I missed the occasion.

As for avatar availability, you get Carbuncle by default when you unlock the job, which should allow you to do all the necessary skilling up, and he has useful abilities like healing - I think he also costs less MP than the others, but I haven't spent that much time researching or playing the job to be sure.

I hope that helps.

isual

holy crap. I died twice going to the crawlers nest from jeuno, and when I finally arrived to the nest, I pretty much got owned by the crawlers. Where do I go level up now ?

Loona

holy crap. I died twice going to the crawlers nest from jeuno, and when I finally arrived to the nest, I pretty much got owned by the crawlers. Where do I go level up now ?

For older style parties usually peple got there by chocobo - if you're past level 20 you should be able to flag the quest for the license to rent and ride one in Jeuno (Upper Jeuno stables at Brutus iirc). It's been a while but a little time and money should take care of that.

Once done, all parts of Jeuno have a stable where you can rent chocos, so Lower Jeuno's is the best for Rolanberry, that'll let you skip the aggro until you get to the Nest's entrance.
Once you get a group there, who'll probably get your rental gil back once you complete the 1st page.

hgplayer1

I was also going to suggest looking into doing the chocobo license quest asap. It will help cut down on unecessary deaths while traveling.

isual

guys, i'm already level 50. Can you do the limit breaks before you hit the cap, or can you do it beforehand ?

iifu

Neo Member
I've been thinking about going back to this game but only playing casually, maybe 1-2 times a week for a couple of hours. Would this be doable?

Also, is there a way to check if a character name is still available?

Caj814

so I wanted to try and cap my lv 76 WAR this weekend so I can clear the next limit break. Any gaffers on Sylph that are within that range?

Loona

guys, i'm already level 50. Can you do the limit breaks before you hit the cap, or can you do it beforehand ?

IIRC you have to be at the 50 to do the 1st, but the rest can be done 1 level before the prior cap (51 to break past 55, 66 ti break past 70, etc...

As for the pace of the game, depends on your priorities - high-end stuff requires tome time investment gearing up, but there's plenty you can do before that, like early nation missions and maybe some Chains of Promathia stuff, not to mention countless quests, working on maps and warps, etc... A lot of little things help further down the line.

isual

IIRC you have to be at the 50 to do the 1st, but the rest can be done 1 level before the prior cap (51 to break past 55, 66 ti break past 70, etc...

As for the pace of the game, depends on your priorities - high-end stuff requires tome time investment gearing up, but there's plenty you can do before that, like early nation missions and maybe some Chains of Promathia stuff, not to mention countless quests, working on maps and warps, etc... A lot of little things help further down the line.

I'll probably level up some jobs first, then I'll do some of the storyline missions; chains, promathia, aht, wings, wtc; then I'll move on to endgame stuff

Loona

The way I see it, endgame gear is just stuff that helps me succeed at later storyline missions.

If you want to get some done, make sure you level something that can sneak and invisible itself, it's practically required in a lot of places and saves you money on items that do that.

Unrelated, but is anyone here knowledgeable about daggers?
Like I mentioned ealier, I'm levelling thief to help me get an item, and currently at level 82. Anyway, before I started levelling, I had some level 30ish daggers, a Rapidus Sax (level 84 THF-only dagger) I got during an Abyssea session, and quested the AF weapon for the job.

After reaching the required skill to get the Evisceration weaponskill I got the Dagger of Trails, which I used as my mainhand weapon during the levelling process. By now I broke the latent and turned the dagger in, so I got a Peeler (initial Trial of Magians dagger; oddly, still weaker than Dagger of Trial despite being 4 levels higher...).

I'm unsure which elemental path to take, considering I'm intending to use THF just to farm/despoil stuff. I'm using a lot of recycled MNK/BLU gear on it, and I put merits in STR (full) and DEX (not done yet).
I see a wind/AGI mentioned a lot, but with good things also being said for the fire/STR and thunder/DEX paths. The fire path would kinda be handy to help me farm flame geodes for my H2H magian weapon, though I'm already doing that with sword too anyway...

Any recommendations, keeping in mind this would likely be something for offhand, with Rapidus Sax as the main?

hgplayer1

so I wanted to try and cap my lv 76 WAR this weekend so I can clear the next limit break. Any gaffers on Sylph that are within that range?

Do you have the Abyssea expansions? If so just go flag up near one of the areas where people usually exp. You will get invited eventually.

so I just did my limit break. is this the right route to level grind now ?

I still see people in the 50's in crawlers

You can go up to level 60 in Crawler's Nest but the exp starts to slow. Shouldn't be a problem now, at least until Double EXP runs out.

isual

You can go up to level 60 in Crawler's Nest but the exp starts to slow. Shouldn't be a problem now, at least until Double EXP runs out.

Does double xp count for tabs ? also, can I get the limit break materials in the AH ? i had a high level player whom i asked in jeuno help me with genkai 1

I was also very ecstatic going to the bard and popping up that first limit level break achievement

Loona

Does double xp count for tabs ? also, can I get the limit break materials in the AH ? i had a high level player whom i asked in jeuno help me with genkai 1

Double XP doesn't affect the page rewards, only what you get from mobs.

Some quest items like the ones for the limit breaks and subjob quest can't be bought in the AHm since they're rare/Exclusive, players are meant to get them themselves, sometimes with help, and it's not possible to trade or sell them to other people. It's a design decision to encourage people to group together.

hgplayer1

They have actually updated some of the limit break quests where you have to get items and added a ??? in those zones that you can just click and get the item. Check the wiki for details. Ill post the info when I get home.

hmm not sure why that was quoted..

Jesus, registering for this game is a process. first i need to make a square enix, then hit new playID to input that I have the code and set it up, and then use that weird playid to set uo 2 accounts to log in on one service. Then I needed to set up how many characters I wanted. Im not even sure I have my chocobo shirt or beret code in and I have no clue where to use those. And now I have a 45 minute file verification to sit through.

isual

Jesus, registering for this game is a process. first i need to make a square enix, then hit new playID to input that I have the code and set it up, and then use that weird playid to set uo 2 accounts to log in on one service. Then I needed to set up how many characters I wanted. Im not even sure I have my chocobo shirt or beret code in and I have no clue where to use those. And now I have a 45 minute file verification to sit through.

It is quite a hurdle.

It is quite a hurdle.
Anyways, its all getting set up now, trying to figure out what class and race I should play. I keep seeing BLU is a great class as it has many options, how viable is it for a complete noob?

Edit: Gah now a hour and 45 minute update. :(

Loona

Anyways, its all getting set up now, trying to figure out what class and race I should play. I keep seeing BLU is a great class as it has many options, how viable is it for a complete noob?

Since to get it you'll need to be level 30 and reach the Aht Urghan areas, some of the noobness is kinda scraped off on the way there.

I love the job, since it gives you so many options, but prepare for some learning of the game's ins and outs to make the best of it - it'll help to learn things like the interactions between elements and the animal "food chains".
red mage might be good as a preparation, as you skill up sword on the way.

isual

Edit: Gah now a hour and 45 minute update. :(

sorry man. I'm new to the game too hahaha ! once you get through the registration process, and into the game, that is where it starts !

also, I finally got the chocobo ! yay. IT IS SO MUCH BETTER DAMMIT !!!!

B-Dex

You have to have a character before you can use the beret and shirt codes.

Loona

BLU is not that good a first job because of the work needed to get all the spells.

A big part of the problem used to be that getting those spells was harder in order levelling systems, but not it's easy to outlevel most things then go get their spells.

A lot of spells are still hard even at level 99 (White Wind, the HNM stuff, dverger and vampyr spells, etc...), but the bulk of it is easier to access now than it was before. Imagine trying to get Mind Blast from soulflayers when ToAU was released... or heck, just about anything exclusive from that expansion...
Even some sea mobs can be found in Abyssea now, so advancing in CoP isn't as important for those as it used to be, not to mention those from areas that used to be level-capped...

In any case, it's a great job to encourage you to learn the mechanics of the game, see its world and never having to buy a scroll for hundreds of thousands of gil.

isual

guys, if I hit level 75, can I solo most of the storyline missions ? or would it be better to hit level 99 first ?

Wow, did my first alliance in the Crawler's Nest doing repeating pages today. I felt kind of dirty afterwards. Took my BST from 40 to 50 in a couple hours. But I think I am going to continue doing solo BST stuff and explore the world some more. The XP there was fantastic, but felt soulless because of how easy the battles were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom