• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

Even if you level quickly, you're gonna have to skill up after that. That gives time to explore, too! And more safely.

Allard

i'm presuming the skills are for accuracy when hitting mobs/bosses ?

and attack, and in the case of some jobs it also increases base damage. It also increases potency of effects (if you have magic to level up) it also allows you get new weaponskills at certain levels so... yeah leveling up your skills are to say the least 'useful'.

isual

holy crap. i'm at bostaunieux oubliette (sp?) and levelling there is so easy. also, some questoins

1. can I just do gusgen mines, then head straight there instead ? Crawler's nest is a confusing loophole
2. I'm stuck at limit break 3. Do i really need to be rank 5 to get the quadrav crest ?

Caj814

Did a marathon run at Abyssea yesterday with Aeana (Tiv) and went from lvl 76-90 along with clearing my limit break up to lvl 95. I really didn't imagine I would be able to accomplish that much leveling in so little time even when my old LS did the fastest leveling possible at the time before I left in 2008. Now I just need to cap up to 95 and knock down that road to 99 so I can start refining my WAR and level other jobs.

isual

Did a marathon run at Abyssea yesterday with Aeana (Tiv) and went from lvl 76-90 along with clearing my limit break up to lvl 95. I really didn't imagine I would be able to accomplish that much leveling in so little time even when my old LS did the fastest leveling possible at the time before I left in 2008. Now I just need to cap up to 95 and knock down that road to 99 so I can start refining my WAR and level other jobs.

Are the limit breaks at 75 and above soloable, and are they at least straightforward ?

I'm still doing limit break 3, and I'm probably going to wait on doing it until I find some folks that can help me do it.

I'm enjoying the game because there is so much progression level wise in such a short span of time; motivation to play more !

Man guys I am lost :( I just started as a Hume RMG in Bastok and after the initial cut scene where you meet a girl who offers to help I have no clue where to find her at all. I just found the main menu button and map. Talk about learning curve.

isual

Man guys I am lost :( I just started as a Hume RMG in Bastok and after the initial cut scene where you meet a girl who offers to help I have no clue where to find her at all. I just found the main menu button and map. Talk about learning curve.

Shiet. Telling you man, forget the story and just level grind. Come back to it when you're high level, say 75 ?

isual

Alright will do, still have to find my way out of the damn city :lol Then time to figure out the battle system.

I started in Sandoria, and let me tell you, it took me a good while to figure things out.

Find crystal waypoints in the cities and use them as homeports so you can teleport back (with a temp item) or if you die you go back there. There should also be an npc that sells warp tickets that are temp items literally next to the warp crystal.

I say once you spend about ~30 hours in game, you will get the hang of it - maybe

Loona

Do you remember her name?
When I started in Bastok, the character that greeted me was a galka called Dalzakk, who usually only appears in cutscenes (and a few places in the past/Wings of the Goddess areas; a couple of characters related to him can be found in Bastok Markets though), but that was soon after WotG was released, so I don't know if this is a new tutorial character they've introduced since then.
Throughtout a few Bastok quests and missions there's also this girl called Cornelia who wears pink with a yellow scarf, and she's in cutscenes only too, who sounds likely to be another "welcomer".

Anyway,if you recall the name and it's not one of those, it should be possible to find her location in the wiki.

If you're having some orientation problems, might as well get this out of the way: leaving Gustaberg (the area where Bastok is) involves leaving from either Bastok Mines or Mastok Markets (the latter is preferable) to South Gustaberg, heading fully to the west, then go north into North Gustaberg, and from there you can reach the Konschtat Highlands, where the word opens up further - and has a direct connection to Gusgen Mines, where levelling from 12 to 30ish usually takes place, but before that you might want to stop by the crag (huge white thing in the middle of the zone, can't miss it, and a nation mission will ask you to go there anyway), as selecting one of the platforms around it with a crystal on it will later allow a white mage spell to teleport you there at will.

It's a bit odd how leaving Bastok's starting area takes longer than for other places, but nowadays the Gusgen bit make it a bit more balanced, I guess.

Suairyu

Banned
Free trial has ended. Liked it enough to take a punt and buy the game proper.

Does it typically get discounted during the bigger Summer and Xmas Steam sales?

Allard

Not sure how much people have been looking at other forums, but it seems people are finally getting around to doing skirmish. Imagine the Old Fey Weapons from WotG expansion, except if the augments eclipsed fully upgraded relic/mythics lol.

SMN Staff with DMG 96 and Avatar MAB +40.

Dagger with 66 DMG and +5% critical hit rate.

DMG 68 (delay 50) Hand to Hand with +5 Counter. Spharai for instance at lvl 99 is 50 DMG and delay 86 with counter +14 and attack +40 (also the hidden triple damage effect you can occasionally get on punches)

DMG 167 Great Sword with STR +22 DEX +6

And most of those are only with HQ1 version of the augments, there is still HQ+2 versions. Augments fluctuate but like Fey weapons they seem to have static augment types but fluctuating stat amounts. Apparently the fights themselves aren't too hard, getting entrance ticket is much, much harder as you need 3 specific types of items to form a statue and the parts pretty rare, they come from HELM, normal mob drops and even Reive rewards. The quality of the parts change the reward and once you enter skirmish your statue is consumed and you need to rebuild another one.

Azuran

Banned
IsXYknj.png

Oh my, I been using PayPal to pay for my subscription but it suddenly decided that it doesn't like payments. I guess I'm not playing this month. I called SE and their support is freaking useless is unbelievable.

isual

man. can't wait to play this game later this week. I just got ninja gaiden 3 RE, and that game is...somewhat awesome. Not as good as NG2, but it will do. have it on 360

I do not believe Utsusemi's starting to get forgotten as a defenseive option...spells like Occultation help, but still...

I'd use /WAR more often, but /DNC and /RDM give me sneak/invisible options which are too handy to pass up for most things I do.

I haven't played for probably five years, but I am so tempted... so many great memories of this game, and since SMN was forced to heal I went BLU and had so much fun. Gah... such a time sink though!

Aeana

Don't those things cap at 50 or so? You'd be better off joining an Oubliette party and get some exp or merits out of it in the process.
Much higher than that. I think it's about level 82 or something along those lines. Considering that my skills are so low, it won't cap out for me for a while.
And don't take my post as complaining, I'm perfectly happy attacking something that doesn't attack back, because I don't have to pay attention. I've had enough massive alliances in the last couple of days as I brought BST up to 99, DNC to 49 and WAR to 26.

And do you think I can remember my PlayOnline password? Looks like I can't find anyplace to reset that either - strange. Have contacted support and now I wait... Any tips?

And do you think I can remember my PlayOnline password? Looks like I can't find anyplace to reset that either - strange. Have contacted support and now I wait... Any tips?

Sounds like you're already on the phone with support. Just be prepared for some obtuse and arcane hoops to jump through. As long as you stay reasonable they should be helpful!

It's buried in their support site somewhere. You'll probably have to call eventually.

Using their online chat support now. I'll need my account recovered. I remembered how obscure and painful the whole POL experience was and apparently it's not any better now. Words fail me...

While I'm waiting. Does anybody know off the top of their head how much space on the 360 HD this will take up w/ the newest expansion? Last time I installed was when TAU or Wings of the Goddess came out. I'll need to make room, I'm sure. And I'm sure installation will take six plus hours as before?

Using their online chat support now. I'll need my account recovered. I remembered how obscure and painful the whole POL experience was and apparently it's not any better now. Words fail me...

While I'm waiting. Does anybody know off the top of their head how much space on the 360 HD this will take up w/ the newest expansion? Last time I installed was when TAU came out. I'll need to make room, I'm sure. And I'm sure installation will take six plus hours as before?

If you have a PC that will run it (doesn't take much) I HIGHLY recommend playing on pc.

If you have a PC that will run it (doesn't take much) I HIGHLY recommend playing on pc.

No doubt, but alas, I've got the 360 and the discs already. Just need to figure out how much space I'll need to beging the arduous install and patching. Finally got my account transfer in progress though from POL to SE. What a maze they've created...

Q: Are SMNs still expected to be healbots, or can they DPS now?

No doubt, but alas, I've got the 360 and the discs already. Just need to figure out how much space I'll need to beging the arduous install and patching. Finally got my account transfer in progress though from POL to SE. What a maze they've created...

Q: Are SMNs still expected to be healbots, or can they DPS now?

Drforester will have a better answer than I, but I bring smn to things for buffs, holding things in ohshit situations, and to a lesser extent for extra damage.

I should be in w/in the hour... Can't find the new expansion anywhere (retail) for the 360 though :( At least I'm up through WotG.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I should be in w/in the hour... Can't find the new expansion anywhere (retail) for the 360 though :( At least I'm up through WotG.

Do you have Fry's near you?

Fry's is semi-near, are they likely to have it? I mean, no place else does - not even SE. "Out of Stock" on their webpage.

Another question (sorry). When I left the last time @ Wings of the Goddess, melee ruled the roost and magic users (I was BLM at the time) couldn't get the time of day. Do melee still run the show or did SE even things out? I'm trying to figure out which direction to take now that I'm heading back in.

Kokonoe

Banned
how come FF11 is not seen on the hard drive when I install it ? I can't see how much space it consumes

If you mean the 360 version, it's because FFXI installs similar to a PC game and doesn't utilize the Xbox 360's interface in any way. If you ever choose the delete cache function in the 360 storage management, you'll actually delete your FFXI install so be careful not to do that.

isual

Fry's is semi-near, are they likely to have it? I mean, no place else does - not even SE. "Out of Stock" on their webpage.

Another question (sorry). When I left the last time @ Wings of the Goddess, melee ruled the roost and magic users (I was BLM at the time) couldn't get the time of day. Do melee still run the show or did SE even things out? I'm trying to figure out which direction to take now that I'm heading back in.

From my experience, everytime I see a FRY's i always go in to check the game section. They USUALLY have rare rpgs on stock. And this has happened every time for me, which I buy afterwards.

Fry's doesn't have it either. I want to get the $39 version because it's got all the stuff I don't have post-WotG. I've got plenty to re-learn in the meantime, hopefully they (somebody) will get it in-stock soon. Can't believe there's no DL version for the 360.

isual

I'm stuck at genkai 3. oh boy. I've been trying to get some help in jeuno. But no avail. I'm thinking it is because of the time, I should try on the weekend and fridays...

Jijidasu

Easiest way to get Dominion Notes and Resistance Notes? I heard soloing is quite miserable. I'd like to get my hands on them so I can start working towards +1/2.

Aeana

I need to get them, too. I actually already have a fair bit of dominion notes, but not enough to afford what I need. I don't think getting dominion notes is that bad, though, because you can just do dominion ops which are like book pages. I don't really know what goes into getting the resistance ones though.

Jijidasu

We should duo them sometime. From my understanding (wiki) resistance ops are just a rehash of dominion stuff.

Good progress on CoP yesterday, looking forward to more. Best storyline in FFXI!

Jijidasu

Oh, awesome. Ill try that. Seems you only can get 80 points (1 quest per day) at a go? Damn that's a lot of runs I have to do.

Clockw0rk

cant believe this game is still going. i stopped in the middle of whatever expansion had campaign. i hear the game is way different nowadays.

so how does job balance work now that there's been a level cap increase? iirc, certain spells and abilities were lv38+ only so that you couldn't have them as a subjob (refresh, convert, etc).

Aeana

Slowly working toward dual pet PDT axes. I've managed to finish lizard trials for both axes. I guess Eldeime will be my home for the next little bit as I work on the next few trials. I'd never make it without that WeatherMon plugin that lets you know via a sound alert when weather has changed. Lots and lots of waiting.

Kandinsky

Slowly working toward dual pet PDT axes. I've managed to finish lizard trials for both axes. I guess Eldeime will be my home for the next little bit as I work on the next few trials. I'd never make it without that WeatherMon plugin that lets you know via a sound alert when weather has changed. Lots and lots of waiting.

Just a tip that you probably already know about, don't sell those soil geodes :p
Easiest way to get Zinc Ores? My ninja could use that scroll now heh.
You can probably get tons of them via chocobo diggin in altepa, especially if you're a low level digger!.

isual

finally got limit break 3 done. Had to ask people in Jeuno for help; 1 person helped me with the castle and beurdeux (sp?), and another one helped me with the davoi one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom