• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm about to go fight Arch-Omega with this Japanese group. I have no idea what's in store.

*edit*
we won, but I didn't get anything due to poor lots. Wish everything was like Voidwatch.

I'm about to go fight Arch-Omega with this Japanese group. I have no idea what's in store.

*edit*
we won, but I didn't get anything due to poor lots. Wish everything was like Voidwatch.

But then you wouldn't have gotten anything due to shitty drop system that is shitty.

Joei

That guide is fantastic and Byrth is one of BG's largest contributors of awesome information. It's only going to get more comprehensive.

Holy crap, I just got around to reading it, and yeah, it's a pretty good read for the stuff that has changed. I stopped playing during ToAU and that's the reference point it's using. I wish I had clicked on the link a few weeks ago, lol. Really an excellent read.

Clipse

Finally got my replacement debit card today after canceling my old one to get out of the WoW Annual Pass. Will try to join you all on Sylph late tonight or tomorrow.

Still trying to decide whether to start fresh or transfer my old character. Guess I'll see how active the GAF shell is before spending $25 to transfer my toon.

Clipse

So I downloaded FFXI off Steam and I keep getting this PlayOnline error code 'POL-0246' so I can't even update Playonline at all. Tried to google a fix and there's one old post on BG about it and no solution from what I read.

Here's the thread on BG:
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/109967-POL-0246

Tried opening ports and running as admin straight from the POL folder and nothing is working. This is so frustrating..

*Update* Finally got it working! Only had to re-install it 3 times for it to finally work.. Now to update the game.

Leunam

Use the check files option in POL, that might help.

Jumped on for a little while tonight. Playing as a Hume Monk named Griselbrand in Bastok. Those XP bonuses are very helpful.

Kokonoe

Banned
Supernal Knife get.

6ohTR.png

*edit*

Just saw it again. Too bad it's Rare.

*edit2*

Saw it a third time.

ZetaEpyon

Wow, looks like there should be some really nice changes when that current set of test stuff is pushed through...

Increased effect for protect, attribute merit max doubled (24), no collision for characters that haven't moved in 10 seconds, various other quality of life type stuff.

I was thinking about starting this up after years away. I just called SE and they gave me my PlayOnline ID and a temp password, but the damn thing isn't working in PlayOnlineViewer. Am I doing something wrong? I am reading about linking POL ID to your SE Account. Does that need to be done before I can log in?

Allard

I was thinking about starting this up after years away. I just called SE and they gave me my PlayOnline ID and a temp password, but the damn thing isn't working in PlayOnlineViewer. Am I doing something wrong? I am reading about linking POL ID to your SE Account. Does that need to be done before I can log in?

Yes it does, sometime earlier this year all account management got changed to Square-Enix account system, you need to synchronize your POL account with an SE account and activate your character through there. You still use the POL viewer to log into the game, but all account related changes and activations now go through the SE account.

Yes it does, sometime earlier this year all account management got changed to Square-Enix account system, you need to synchronize your POL account with an SE account and activate your character through there. You still use the POL viewer to log into the game, but all account related changes and activations now go through the SE account.

I am just trying to log in to the viewer with my POL ID and the password they gave me. Maybe I'll need to have them reset it again, because what they gave me isn't working.

Do I have to sync with the SE-ID to reset my password or should I be able to do it on the viewer?

hgplayer1

I am just trying to log in to the viewer with my POL ID and the password they gave me. Maybe I'll need to have them reset it again, because what they gave me isn't working.

Do I have to sync with the SE-ID to reset my password or should I be able to do it on the viewer?

go here

https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/login

and see if the login they gave you works there. If not then get registered there first and report back.

ZetaEpyon

You cannot log in with a POL ID only anymore, the SE account is not optional like it once was, as far as I know.

You cannot log in with a POL ID only anymore, the SE account is not optional like it once was, as far as I know.

I just got my password reset again and I was going to link my POL ID to my SE account. It is asking me for a credit card. Is that just to hold it in the system or do I have to resubscribe to FFXI to do the transfer? I just want to log in and see if my characters are still available to restore.

Sophia

Correction: You can't log in with a POL ID alone anymore. You have to link it to a Square Enix account and use both to log in.

Correction: You can't log in with a POL ID alone anymore. You have to link it to a Square Enix account and use both to log in.

Thanks. I just got in. I was wondering if I need to call them up on Monday to see if they can restore my old character. I think I played last in 2005 or 2006. Any chance they will be able to restore it? I have all my original registration codes if that will help my chances.

Azuran

Banned
Thanks. I just got in. I was wondering if I need to call them up on Monday to see if they can restore my old character. I think I played last in 2005 or 2006. Any chance they will be able to restore it? I have all my original registration codes if that will help my chances.

Yeah, it should still be there as long as you remember your information.

Sophia

If you have the original registration codes, you're pretty much guaranteed to get it back. :p

Kokonoe

Banned
Have you guys seen all the updates that are going to happen?

Hiromichi_Tanaka said:
Static icons for special abilities as well as white and black magic spells have been temporarily implemented on the test server with today's update, but are still undergoing adjustment because they are designed to be displayed in the new in-development macro palette rather than the current list interface, which does not afford the icons enough space.

The following icons have been added. (*Appearances may differ depending on system environments.)

• White Magic
    5FVT6.jpg

Starting from the top-left:
    Line 1: Cure, Cura, Curaga, Dia, "Bar-" spells (Barblizzara, etc.), Banish, Banishga, Esuna-type spells (Paralyna, etc.)
    Line 2: Protect, Protectra, Shell, Aquaveil, Raise, Reraise, Slow
    Line 3: Haste, Paralyze, Silence, Stoneskin, Blink, Invisible, Sneak, Deodorize
    Line 4: Regen, Erase, Teleport, Repose, Holy, Recall, Auspice
    Line 5: Sacrifice, "Boost" Spells, Addle, "En-" spells (Enthunder, etc.), Phalanx, Refresh, "Gain" spells (Gain-STR, etc.), Reprisal

• Black Magic
    lQi8k.jpg

Line 1: Stone, Stonega, Stoneja, Poison, Blind, Bind, Drain
    Line 2: Aspir, Fire, Firaga, Firaja, Water, Waterga, Waterja, Flood
    Line 3: Thunder, Thundaga, Thundaja, Blizzard, Blizzaga, Blizzaja, Freeze, Aero
    Line 4: Aeroga, Aeroja, Tornado, Bio, Warp, Escape, Retrace, Rasp (Frost or Drown)
    Line 5: "Spikes" spells (Shock Spikes, etc.), Sleep, Sleepga, Tractor, Dispel, Stun, Burst, Flare

Numerals such as II and III will appear in the bottom right corner of the icons, while a star in the top left corner will denote "-ga" spells and two stars will denote "-ja" spells.
Other icons for categories such as weapon skills, summoning spells, and abilities, will be added in the future along with other aspects of the user interface.
Blue magic, songs, and ninjutsu use generic icons as per usual.

[dev1127] PC collision adjustments
  1. PCs who have not moved for ten seconds or more are no longer subject to unit collision.
-----

[dev1128] Magic Adjustments
  1. The following spell effects will be raised:
  1. Protect / Protectra / Protect II / Protectra II / Protect III / Protectra III / Protect IV / Protectra IV / Protect V / Protectra V / Knight's Minne / Knight's Minne II / Knight's Minne III / Knight's Minne IV / Knight's Minne V
  2. In addition, the following effects will also be increased:
  3. The bonus defense enhancement granted by Protectra V.
  4. The Protecra V enhancement attribute of Cleric's Duckbills +2.
  5. The enchantment attribute of Protect Ring and Protect Earring.
  6. The Fields of Valor and Grounds of Valor field support effect White Magic: Protect.
  7. Resistances to the following spells will be changed:
  8. Foe Requiem / Foe Requiem II / Foe Requiem III / Foe Requiem IV / Foe Requiem V / Foe Requiem VI / Foe Requiem VII

[dev1129] Merit Point Adjustment
  1. The maximum number of upgrades for the attribute merit point category will be raised from twelve to twenty-four.

[dev1130] Battle-related Adjustments
  1. The interval between the conclusion of battle and the next possible time an attack command can be carried out will be adjusted.
  1. The interval between the time a ranged attack finishes and the next possible time a new command can be carried out will be reduced.
  1. The guard and parry skills will be adjusted so that they may level up even if the skills do not activate when players are attacked.

[dev1131] Legion Adjustments
  1. It will be possible to reenter a battlefield due to all participants being KO'd.
  2. In addition, the distance that enemies roam will be adjusted.

[dev1132] Assault Adjustment
  1. When moving to the next floor during Nyzul Isle Investigation and Nyzul Isle Uncharted Region, characters will zone in at coordinates a few character-lengths apart.
-----

[dev1133] Einherjar Adjustment
  1. All rewards procured from the Nashmau (H-7) NPC Kilusha will be displayed on a single page.

[dev1134] Spell Icon Modifications
  1. Spell icons have been modified in preparation for the UI revamp.
-----

Leunam

Holy balls, roughly five or six hours of FoV then GoV levelling shot me up to 25. Never would have imagined that back in the day.

I went to Konchstat Highlands so I could level in the Gusgen Mines. Went all the way west and tried to run past a ghost when I realized that I couldn't zone because that tunnel is not the Gusgen Mines! Barely escaped and made it to the other end of the zone where I got into an alliance at 13. Didn't level for too long before most of the group besides two guys left. Slowly rebuilt the alliance of 12, took over leadership from one dude, and from then on it was smooth sailing to 25. Awesome stuff. I'm going to do my subjob quest and then level WAR to at least 50 then onto DRK. Can I do the subjob quest in Valkurm Dunes at 25 solo? I already got the skull. Also, do I stay in Gusgen until 30 or do I need to move on?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Dagger and great axe are a pain because farming ki and killing Glavoid is a pain in the ass. Sword and katana are pretty simple on the other hand. Briareus and Sobek ki are easy to farm and the NM itself can be easily duo or trio. Anything more is literally overkill.

Haven't tried the other weapons yet, but I'm gonna assume they're not as annoying as the dagger one.

Katana easy? Squeeeeeee

Azuran

Banned
Katana easy? Squeeeeeee

I duo both of them with a friend for his Kannagi without any problems at all. Briareus can even be solo if you know how to kite his 1111 Mercurial Strike. Sobek is also easy. a NIN and WHM duo can easily kill it. A trio might be better in case Sobek decides to be cheap and one-shot the tank.

The only annoying part is claiming Gukumatz. Kinda hard to do it if you're low manning and competing against a much larger party.

Aeana

I've been talked into reactivating after all, but I only have up to Wings of the Goddess with none of the mini scenarios or Abyssea. How much of a roadblock will this be for me? I don't really want to spend $20 on the most updated collection right now; would it even be worth it to bother if most of my jobs are over level 20 and my main is around 60?

Joei

So, I'm leveling my SAM and I see that Och. Kote is going to be an option soon and those Kyahan that give +3 Haste at some point as well. Och. Kote only go for 50k now, and the boots are about 100k I think. Not feeling like spending the money, which I'm aware is rather easy to get in the later levels according to that returners guide, I figure I'd camp the two NMs in Oz, lol. It was funny to see no one camping those pops anymore. I was able to get the Kote and boots after a few tries. I'm off to try and camp Argus next, lol. The Peacock charm is only a few hundred K, but I don't really have a lot of time to play over the next few days so I'll figure I'll just do occasional widescans in the pop zone and hope I see him.

Otherwise, it's crazy cause I see Scorpion Harness, and Haub, etc. are pennies now. I figure the materials to make it are pretty easy to come by now that the cap was raised, but is the armor itself still useful?

Joei

At what level can you solo the NM for O.Kote with a WAR or DRK?

I easily beat him with my THF at 60. Took me 5 tries before he dropped it though. Thank god I was occupied with my school work in between pops, though I did have to kill the placeholders every 10-15 minutes.

NeoForte

I've been talked into reactivating after all, but I only have up to Wings of the Goddess with none of the mini scenarios or Abyssea. How much of a roadblock will this be for me? I don't really want to spend $20 on the most updated collection right now; would it even be worth it to bother if most of my jobs are over level 20 and my main is around 60?

No, it wouldn't. Abyssea makes leveling jobs so much easier and faster. Granted it's still possible to level up jobs more quickly than before... Abyssea just made it a lot easier. But honestly Abyssea is needed for a lot of armors (AF3+2 being the goals). Anything else is Trial of the Magians (for weapons) and VoidWatcher NMs (for armors). If you want to see the storylines, then yea having up to Wings is fine. The 3 mini expansions werent that great and have little impact to the lore (Though Moogle one was kinda fun). Abyssea has a minimal story that's kinda interesting but it only really "picks up" at the end. If you really want to come back just wait till 2013 and buy the new collectors edition they will probably have for Alduin's release. More people will return to level new jobs, you'll have access to everything, hopefully other content will be available... seems like the better option.

Azuran

Banned
Otherwise, it's crazy cause I see Scorpion Harness, and Haub, etc. are pennies now. I figure the materials to make it are pretty easy to come by now that the cap was raised, but is the armor itself still useful?

They still are. Most people use them till 78 until you can upgrade to Aurore or Perle. You then use those 2 sets until you get your AF3 +1 gear.

Aeana

No, it wouldn't. Abyssea makes leveling jobs so much easier and faster. Granted it's still possible to level up jobs more quickly than before... Abyssea just made it a lot easier. But honestly Abyssea is needed for a lot of armors (AF3+2 being the goals). Anything else is Trial of the Magians (for weapons) and VoidWatcher NMs (for armors). If you want to see the storylines, then yea having up to Wings is fine. The 3 mini expansions werent that great and have little impact to the lore (Though Moogle one was kinda fun). Abyssea has a minimal story that's kinda interesting but it only really "picks up" at the end. If you really want to come back just wait till 2013 and buy the new collectors edition they will probably have for Alduin's release. More people will return to level new jobs, you'll have access to everything, hopefully other content will be available... seems like the better option.
That's what I thought. Although honestly, the leveling method with Abyssea also sounds dull as hell. It doesn't make sense for me to reactivate with DQ10 so close, anyway. Sorry, pancakes.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I duo both of them with a friend for his Kannagi without any problems at all. Briareus can even be solo if you know how to kite his 1111 Mercurial Strike.

You can't just stun it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom