• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

Seigyoku

I passed out doing Fiat Lux last night.

There I am, fighting the Shadow Lord, with people yelling in my headset and...

Came to and was somehow not Doomed, but had healed him back to 41%.

So OTOH, fight so easy you can pass out? OTOH, omg I am so damn tired.

New zone screenshots

Probe Further into the depths of the Labyrinth in Ra'Kaznar Inner Court
12933.jpg

A new thread has been created in the Updates section of the official forums.

[dev1226] Probe Further into the Depths of the Labyrinth in Ra'Kaznar Inner Court

TP Bonus, I hope?

Recently redid the fights to exchange my refresh moonshade for TP bonus. Took maybe 10 minutes. :)
Yeah ATK, TP bonus. I wasn't sure what to get on the first augment. I kinda wanted MAB for use with Leaden, but getting an augment on an expansion piece for one weaponskill of which only one job can use is dumb. If I had like.. COR mythic then sure.

Did my first set of Yocia skirmishes today. Got Otronif gloves/boots. Went ahead and augmented the gloves as the only reason to really +1 them is for DA2, the base stats are negligible IMO. I got lucky and got DA1 and PDT4. Holding out on boots though.

How much tougher is Outer skirmish compared to the others?

Yeah ATK, TP bonus. I wasn't sure what to get on the first augment. I kinda wanted MAB for use with Leaden, but getting an augment on an expansion piece for one weaponskill of which only one job can use is dumb. If I had like.. COR mythic then sure.

Did my first set of Yocia skirmishes today. Got Otronif gloves/boots. Went ahead and augmented the gloves as the only reason to really +1 them is for DA2, the base stats are negligible IMO. I got lucky and got DA1 and PDT4. Holding out on boots though.

How much tougher is Outer skirmish compared to the others?

Harder than Yorcia to be sure. The normal monsters are things like undead, bombs, acuex. The NMs all have tricks to them to prevent stuff like extreme damage and encumbrance moves.

Examples:
Cerb - High evasion, debuff it
Dullhan - Keep enfeebled to prevent high damage attacks
Acuex - Weak to Ice damage
Ironclad - Don't use magic or it unlocks encumbrance move
Marolith - Don't weaponskill when it's not wsing or else it crumbles to the ground and uses an encumbrance move when it gets up.

For those of you asking how the game is doing, the census just got posted!

12th Vana'diel Census Unveiled
12943.jpg

Friday, May 16, 2014, marked the twelfth anniversary of FINAL FANTASY XI service in Japan, and what better way to celebrate than by learning about the current state of your home away from home with a census?

For this iteration, we changed our approach and decided to emphasize infographics. We hope you enjoy seeing a lighter side of the world you've all come to know and love for so long.

Read on for the eye-popping details.

Decided to take up BLU for fun to give me something to do in between the big stuff and keep things fresh.

I stopped doing BLU at level 80 but at lest my magic and merits are capped for that level. Just gotta get to 99 and figure out gear.

This also gives me an excuse to work on mage gear AND continue with melee upgrades as BLU uses both. Should be fun.

Realtalk though, I'm just trying to find an excuse to finally ditch Shijin.

Decided to take up BLU for fun to give me something to do in between the big stuff and keep things fresh.

I stopped doing BLU at level 80 but at lest my magic and merits are capped for that level. Just gotta get to 99 and figure out gear.

This also gives me an excuse to work on mage gear AND continue with melee upgrades as BLU uses both. Should be fun.

Realtalk though, I'm just trying to find an excuse to finally ditch Shijin.

Pup shouldn't be using shijin anyway. Pummel is way too good. I can't wait till empyrean gear so I'm not so attack starved.

Pup shouldn't be using shijin anyway. Pummel is way too good. I can't wait till empyrean gear so I'm not so attack starved.
I don't use it. I got it when the WSes first came out and just had no reason to remove it. Back then it was a really good WS in Ballista due to the plague and the damage was decent enough. Pummel has always been very good, It was just held back by shitty gear.

Stuff like Delve, Wildskeeper Reives, Skirmish... how do I go about getting into this stuff? Can I make any progress in anything as just a duo, or am I going to need full parties/join shouts etc?

I've been back for a week or so now, been working on the gear I can get through Sparks and Bayld, Working on my 109 Relic Gear, and I'm just not sure what else I can do at the moment. I would love to get into something, but I'm just not really sure where to start and the info on FFXIclopedia and BGWiki is pretty sparse these days.

Stuff like Delve, Wildskeeper Reives, Skirmish... how do I go about getting into this stuff? Can I make any progress in anything as just a duo, or am I going to need full parties/join shouts etc?

I've been back for a week or so now, been working on the gear I can get through Sparks and Bayld, Working on my 109 Relic Gear, and I'm just not sure what else I can do at the moment. I would love to get into something, but I'm just not really sure where to start and the info on FFXIclopedia and BGWiki is pretty sparse these days.

Wildskeepers are world events, you can hear about them via shouts from motivated folks who like organizing them. Anyone can join, bring re-raise.

Delve is a 6-18 man event with pretty specific zone / job requirements. If you want to mess with them for the first time, getting some experience by popping the NMs outside might be beneficial. Definitely read up on the event.

Skirmish is a 6 man event with varying rules depending on the zone. Easy to do via pick ups. Helps to know what the maps look like and have a plan of attack for which direction you'll go in.

BGwiki has pretty extensive info on all 3 actually.

The current road to endgame looks something like this. You can skip around depending on job and what kind of gear you had from prior events, and if you can find some folks who are capable of carrying you a bit.

Sparks / Bayld > AF/Relic 109 > Wildskeepers > Rala Cirdas Yorcia Skirmish > Delve I > Ra'ka Skirmish > Delve II > AF/Relic119

I'll probably try and set up a delve 1 outside NM educational run at some point in IHOP, but I need a good mix of jobs on board.

ZetaEpyon

To add a bit, the lower Skirmishes are totally doable with less than a full party of actual players, but might be somewhat more difficult to duo unless you're already well-geared and on the right jobs. I have some friends who do Yorcia skirmish with 3 characters and trusts (2 actual players, one is dual-boxed), and can do it without too much difficulty.

With that said, it's probably not too difficult to find people to go along, and those events are nice in that they're a fair bit more flexible in the party makeup that can be successful.

Loona

This is a bit embarrassing, considering for how long I've been playing the game, but every time I went to the top area of Castle Oztroja with its major NMs for quest, like limit break or the Windurst mission, I went with somebody else who handled the password stuff.

Apparently you can just reach the top, light up the torches, enter, and there'll be an input for the password there, consisting on 3 names out of the list mentioned here: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Brass_Statue

What the page doesn't say is if the names ever repeat - does anyone know that?

I plan to head there soon for a RoE quest while handling a belated RNG AF quest, so I figured I'd ask before wasting time wandering around in a place that can already be pretty annoying to navigate as it is...

This is a bit embarrassing, considering for how long I've been playing the game, but every time I went to the top area of Castle Oztroja with its major NMs for quest, like limit break or the Windurst mission, I went with somebody else who handled the password stuff.

Apparently you can just reach the top, light up the torches, enter, and there'll be an input for the password there, consisting on 3 names out of the list mentioned here: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Brass_Statue

What the page doesn't say is if the names ever repeat - does anyone know that?

I plan to head there soon for a RoE quest while handling a belated RNG AF quest, so I figured I'd ask before wasting time wandering around in a place that can already be pretty annoying to navigate as it is...

I do not think they do. It IS case sensitive though, so there's that.

Loona

The boost on Mug is great, but Learning Chance on BLU... that the sort of thing that would be useful a whole lot earlier than at the level when you're accumulating Job Points - it's a pretty weird choice, especially if you can't exchange them later for something else.
The overlap with limit points on things like Chakra feels a bit weird too...

Then again, I haven't bothered working on job points, and have no idea how common that is nowadays...

Considering I've been in Promy Holla for over an hour and still haven't gotten Occultation...

I now remember why I stopped playing BLU.

To be fair though I'm not really trying. Just afking with a level 1 club while I do other things.

Dracos

So I started playing again a few weeks ago, thanks to this thread. Have been away for years, left right after merits were introduced. Read all the guides and have been doing RoE for sparks and catching up on old areas, etc. Right now trying to get my fave jobs from 75-99 (whm, brd, thf and sam). Since all my friends are gone what is the best way to 99 solo? Just grind it out with my trusts? What area(s) is best for this? I'm on Cerberus server btw.

Thx

So I started playing again a few weeks ago, thanks to this thread. Have been away for years, left right after merits were introduced. Read all the guides and have been doing RoE for sparks and catching up on old areas, etc. Right now trying to get my fave jobs from 75-99 (whm, brd, thf and sam). Since all my friends are gone what is the best way to 99 solo? Just grind it out with my trusts? What area(s) is best for this? I'm on Cerberus server btw.

Thx

Any area with grounds of valor of an appropriate level would be best. Also don't play alone, come to sylph.

hitgirl

I'm going to re install the game and see how it's going now. Thing is I haven't played since TLOAU, I'm guessing it's very different. I lost my main character, was a friends that I was boring, so I only have this level 40 to play with. Which is fine because I'm not looking to get into any endgame stuff. I just want to explore the world I miss so much and enjoy the music. What's some fun stuff I can do around that level? I don't even think I have a subjob...

ZetaEpyon

I'm going to re install the game and see how it's going now. Thing is I haven't played since TLOAU, I'm guessing it's very different. I lost my main character, was a friends that I was boring, so I only have this level 40 to play with. Which is fine because I'm not looking to get into any endgame stuff. I just want to explore the world I miss so much and enjoy the music. What's some fun stuff I can do around that level? I don't even think I have a subjob...

It's very, very different from the Aht Urghan era, having gone through several transitions since that time. As Pan mentioned, Grounds of Valor is a good way to level at lower levels. You can do it solo or in a group. After that, working through all the missions is certainly doable, and I always liked them.

I don't know what server you're on, but if you aren't tied to friends wherever you are, do consider moving over or restarting and joining us on Sylph. I suspect it wouldn't take long to catch up to where you're at if your highest level is 40.

What talym said. Restart on Sylph, you can get 10-40 and your subjob in less than a few hours with a bit of preparation (running around town to get some non-combat quests and unlocks done, level to 10 solo so you can level sync to people.) and some assistance with drops.

hitgirl

Gotcha, I'll start over at Sylph. Why not! Will make my character this weekend.

Can't wait to spent 1+ hours on Playonline getting my account back then 4+ hours of updating:p

Kandinsky

Damn no idea what are these capacity points, I'm guessing like sanction, allied notes for the new expansion?.

Edit: lol new, that thing came out like a year ago :p

Seigyoku

Damn no idea what are these capacity points, I'm guessing like sanction, allied notes for the new expansion?.

Edit: lol new, that thing came out like a year ago :p

Ionis is the "new" Signet/Sanction/Sigil.

Bayld is the "new" Conquest Points/Imperial Standing/Allied Notes.

ZetaEpyon

Gotcha, I'll start over at Sylph. Why not! Will make my character this weekend.

Can't wait to spent 1+ hours on Playonline getting my account back then 4+ hours of updating:p

Cool. Hopefully updating won't take too long, I haven't had too much trouble with it in recent years, other than during patch weekends. Once you get online, don't forget to shoot us a tell so that we can get you a linkpearl!

hitgirl

Does anyone know how I can go about getting another Playonline & Final Fantasy XI registration code? I bought the game off Steam originally, used up all the codes there. Then passed on the account to a friend which is still being used. So I have to make a new Square-Enix account, I'm guessing i'll just need to re-purchase the game online?

Does anyone know how I can go about getting another Playonline & Final Fantasy XI registration code? I bought the game off Steam originally, used up all the codes there. Then passed on the account to a friend which is still being used. So I have to make a new Square-Enix account, I'm guessing i'll just need to re-purchase the game online?

If you can't repurchase on steam then use amazon. There's a link to the ultimate collection in the OP.

Seigyoku

Is it possible to use trust npc in CoP/ToAU/WotG mission battles?

Pretty much all of CoP, about half of ToAU. August update looks to wrap up ToAU.

I expect WotG missions to be rolled out after we get the Lilisette Trust. After which MAYBE they'll go back to RotZ and nation ranks 6-10.

Gotcha, yea ill just use the steam launcher. But Amazon will give me all the IDs and Keys that I need?

Yeah but if you're not using the steam keys you may as well just uninstall it and reinstall from the amazon version. Makes it easier to find the folders when you're inevitably setting up windower etc. There is no difference between versions and steam does not do any management of the app in terms of updates or anything, so you may as well ditch the old installation unless there's something you have in there you need.

hitgirl

WOW, reading the changes on BG. I sort of wished I checked in awhile ago. The things I loved about the game are still around, but memories of farming my Haub +1 and Kraken Club are the things that kept me from playing again. But it seems like that stuff isn't so prevalent now adays.

Yeah but if you're not using the steam keys you may as well just uninstall it and reinstall from the amazon version. Makes it easier to find the folders when you're inevitably setting up windower etc. There is no difference between versions and steam does not do any management of the app in terms of updates or anything, so you may as well ditch the old installation unless there's something you have in there you need.

Gotcha, cool!

hitgirl

Can someone point me in the right direction for setting up plugins I should use for FFXI? I have a really powerful PC, could probably downsample it from 4k.

Can someone point me in the right direction for setting up plugins I should use for FFXI? I have a really powerful PC, could probably downsample it from 4k.

Get windower 4 from the links in the OP, start with timers, distance, and anything else you think looks necessary, turn off everything else, add more as you realize it would be useful. Start small and it avoids errors from having too much crap you don't need.

hitgirl

Get windower 4 from the links in the OP, start with timers, distance, and anything else you think looks necessary, turn off everything else, add more as you realize it would be useful. Start small and it avoids errors from having too much crap you don't need.

Thanks!

Top Bottom