• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

lol, just got a Bond cape while leveling BLU in Toraimarai. There's is zero info on it anywhere.

Knowing SE and considering the name of the item, the latent is probably activated by being in a PT with someone else who is wearing the cape, lol.

Who knows though. I'm just gonna leave it in my bazaar for an absurd price because it's a hilarious item.

Leaping

Neo Member
The Bond cape gives a bonus of 1 macc if you are in a party of 3, 2 for a party of 4, 3 for a party of 5, and 4 for a party of 6.

Husker86

I know so little still about all the additions to this game after the 75-80 level cap increase.

Can anyone give a website or quick suggestion for what to spend Login points on?

I got Star Sibyl and the items I need for last level cap. I have 3,860 points left.

My plans are to upgrade relic armor, but I probably won't be doing tons of group events to get other types of armor.

I was thinking pop items for things, but cross-checking them all is a pain!

edit: Think I might spend 2k on gobbie stew to finish last two gobbiebag quests.

I know so little still about all the additions to this game after the 75-80 level cap increase.

Can anyone give a website or quick suggestion for what to spend Login points on?

I got Star Sibyl and the items I need for last level cap. I have 3,860 points left.

My plans are to upgrade relic armor, but I probably won't be doing tons of group events to get other types of armor.

edit: Think I might spend 2k on gobbie stew to finish last two gobbiebag quests.

I would recommend getting empyrean +2 items for any jobs you're interested in as much as possible whenever they are up, and seals. Those are going to get reforged soon and you'll be ahead of the game if you have the previous armor already.

How do you even know this aur. HOW? I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge someday.
This. I couldn't find the info anywhere, lol.

Hit 99 BLU today finally. :) Just capped blue magic, got full merits in both sword and blue magic, 3/5 Req, and got 2 pieces of 109 AF. Time to learn some spells.

Too bad I still haven't seen Xiutleato drop. =/

Seigyoku

Pop itemwise in this campaign it's the standard shank/wine/pondweed trio - which is relevant if you are after a BB or a D-Ring, all the Bamboo items are for the Yagudo SCNM fight, which is only relevant if you are going after a Prester for some reason, but they are not really that hard to farm, just a matter of them NMs being up. At the 100 point there are some ZNM pop items, which really only cut out one step if you are working on a Mythic/PW pops, so probably not that important either!

I would say +2 items are pretty important. Go after Ardor items first as you will need more of those. When I was +2ing all the things I also went after items from more annoying or annoying to pop NMs (like the VNMs).

Loona

Prioritize the Gobbiebag stuff or any other inventory expansion options - gear goes in and out of style, while an inventory expansion will always be useful.

Seigyoku

Prioritize the Gobbiebag stuff or any other inventory expansion options - gear goes in and out of style, while an inventory expansion will always be useful.

I would normally agree but Empy gear is one we KNOW is being cycled back in. And it's not just gear that comes and goes, it is the way to acquire it, and those events that. Tons of people have zero interest in going into Aby to do anything but worm parties. And since getting an Empy past 90 is just insanity, and you can go the WoE path to unlock the weapon skill, that removes the old "someone is working on an Emoy, come and hold a apop and you can lot of +2 items) route to completing pieces.

So there are pluses and minuses to spending points on either right now.

Husker86

Thanks guys.

Definitely want a D-ring ASAP so I'll look into that.

I did finish gobbiebag, but have 1860 points left on main character and like 2000 on a mule.

I have no empy gear anyway :(

I really might switch to Sylph soon. Soloing is getting boring and it doesn't look like my old in-game friend is going to return. Though seeing people online that I knew from 5 years ago is kinda cool.

So it's been a month since I've returned since quitting back at the launch of SoA.

I don't regret it one bit. I'm hooked again, and I still haven't gotten to Delve yet. This game is everything I loved about FFXI, but made so much better. I can actually play very casually, or spend a whole day playing and get a lot done. Just comes down to how much of my day I feel like spending on the game.

I gotta admit, it was really freaking intimidating at first, but once you start getting things done like trusts, unlocking WKR, collecting HPs and waypoints, and farming a bit here and there the game starts to pace itself out really well.

Funny, been searching for the past couple of years for a MMO like FFXI, probably should've just come back sooner.

Also I started shouting for WKRs today. It's kinda cool to put out 1-2 shouts then see the zone fill up with people.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, for the most part, there's not really a "right" or "wrong" way to use the login points, imo. It's all just a matter of priorities and such.

For the gobbiebag ones specifically, I haven't actually looked at the numbers, but I wonder whether you'd be better off getting something that's sellable with the points, and then just buying the quest items with the gil you got. Most of the gobbie quest items aren't very expensive. Of course, that means doing some research, finding someone to buy what you got with points, tracking down the items (possibly an issue these days), etc.

Seigyoku

Definitely want a D-ring ASAP so I'll look into that.

I really might switch to Sylph soon. Soloing is getting boring and it doesn't look like my old in-game friend is going to return. Though seeing people online that I knew from 5 years ago is kinda cool.

I think they only way to get a D-ring ASAP is to have the RNG gods adore you! I think I used between 3 and 20 shanks a campaign. Not counting the one where we could buy Savories. Got it during campaign 12 lol.

And come to Sylph! We have cookies. Well, trail cookies anyway BUT I WILL GIVE YOU SOME!

Also I started shouting for WKRs today. It's kinda cool to put out 1-2 shouts then see the zone fill up with people.

WKRs are really one of those tipping point events now that SE really came up with ways to make people repeat them. Often just takes one person to get the ball rolling and likely someone else figures, better to do a WKR than sit here bored.

Note: I need to do more WKRs...

Yeah, for the most part, there's not really a "right" or "wrong" way to use the login points, imo. It's all just a matter of priorities and such.

Yeah I think it is like a lot of things in the game - gotta do some research. There are some gobbiebag items where cost isn't the issue, if no one puts it up for sale, no amount of gil can buy it. But maybe it is questable. Or maybe yeah the 880 item is the most painless way.

It's like the Mog Garden, not a bad way to make money but it is up to you to determine what is worth shop selling, what to AH, what to turn in for quests etc!

hitgirl

So it's been a month since I've returned since quitting back at the launch of SoA.

I don't regret it one bit. I'm hooked again, and I still haven't gotten to Delve yet. This game is everything I loved about FFXI, but made so much better. I can actually play very casually, or spend a whole day playing and get a lot done. Just comes down to how much of my day I feel like spending on the game.

I gotta admit, it was really freaking intimidating at first, but once you start getting things done like trusts, unlocking WKR, collecting HPs and waypoints, and farming a bit here and there the game starts to pace itself out really well.

Funny, been searching for the past couple of years for a MMO like FFXI, probably should've just come back sooner.

I hear ya man. I'm starting over from scratch after years of trying to fill FFXI, I should have come back sooner now that I see the changes. When FFXIV was down for a few months until 2.0 released I went back with my guild so we wouldn't get rusty, got power leveld to 99 in two days and was so dismissive of everything I learned nothing about how the game has changed. I tried to approach it from my old FFXI COP mindset and hated it.

I've only just started this weekend but it is extremely intimidating with everything I can do. But I'm coming at it from a open mindset and really enjoying it. I think I did play too much this weekend though.. HAH, told myself I would be casual but it sucked me in!

It's update trailer time!

Promotional Video for the August Version Update!
12955.jpg

The next version update is scheduled for a Tuesday, August 12th (JST) release.

Head to the forums to read up on all the content that will be added!

Take a look at the promotional video for the August version update!

Moobabe

A quick bit of help needed!

I just resubbed but when I go to update the game after hitting play I get a connection error. I also get one when I log in POL about a connection to my Friend's List.

Any ideas? Do I need to run as administrator?

Edit

Found some help on the Steam forums. Let's hope it works!

A quick bit of help needed!

I just resubbed but when I go to update the game after hitting play I get a connection error. I also get one when I log in POL about a connection to my Friend's List.

Any ideas? Do I need to run as administrator?

Edit

Found some help on the Steam forums. Let's hope it works!

You should run as admin for a variety of reasons, but I haven't heard of your specific issue. What did you wind up doing?

Loona

It's update trailer time!

Neat, an NPC that lists the quests available to you - should be a bit more practical than combing the wiki, and less of an immersion break than floating exclamation marks.

I haven't been really catching up on the gear grind, but I hope I'm in shape for the new missions...

What I have been doing, hwoever, is working on the RNG AF missions - it's rather interesting to do so after completing the WotG mission events they reference...

ZetaEpyon

What I have been doing, hwoever, is working on the RNG AF missions - it's rather interesting to do so after completing the WotG mission events they reference...

Doing the WotG missions after getting all the AF is equally awesome. :D

Hell yes, Warp Ring. No excuses for not having warp anymore!!

Seigyoku

Update is happening a week earlier than I thought it would. Quite surprised, since they usually push the definition of "mid-month" to the limit!

ZetaEpyon

Was just wondering how hard is it to get back into the game? The last time I've played was when Treasures of Aht Urhgan came out.

Smaller server populations aside, I'd say the game is generally more accessible now than it's ever been. Over the past year or so, there have been a litany of quality of life type changes that benefit old and new players alike. There's a good link to BG's returning player guide in the first post of this thread, if you want more details about how things have changed since the last time you played.

I'm sure some of our newer returners in this thread could chime in on how their experiences have been so far.

B.K.

I noticed the new RoEs have Dynamis objectives. I may finally get Dyanmis clears! I'm sure the bosses will be an objective.

Moobabe

You should run as admin for a variety of reasons, but I haven't heard of your specific issue. What did you wind up doing?

My POL viewer version was older than it needed to be.

I'm back! The game looks like ass though (resolution wise) - but I've got my Overlay at 1920 x 1080, Menu res at 1920 x 1080 and my background resolution at the same.

I'm guessing I shouldn't have them all set to the same thing?

My POL viewer version was older than it needed to be.

I'm back! The game looks like ass though (resolution wise) - but I've got my Overlay at 1920 x 1080, Menu res at 1920 x 1080 and my background resolution at the same.

I'm guessing I shouldn't have them all set to the same thing?

Menu and overlay should be the same to avoid weird targeting issues, background res can be whatever, adjust for performance.

Moobabe

Aspect ratio maybe? It's in the in game settings. I wasn't talking about visuals though.

Well I've selected run in window and stuff in the FFXI config window but it isn't doing that either. Feels like nothing I'm changing in that options is making a difference.

Looks like it might be an issue of running the game through Steam.

Well I've selected run in window and stuff in the FFXI config window but it isn't doing that either. Feels like nothing I'm changing in that options is making a difference.

Run the config tool as administrator too manually from the folder it's installed to. Maybe that will help. It sounds like it's not saving the settings? It sounds like a UAC problem or which windows user has control over your steam folder / C:

Husker86

Hmm - they're set to the same but it still looks like ass. I'll poke around tomorrow when I'm not as tired.

What does "looks like ass" mean?

I mean...the game is old. It can be "crisp" though, so if you're not seeing that then there is an issue.

The aspect ratio is always wrong for widescreens, so you have to go into config1 or config2 in the in-game menu to change it to 16:9 or 16:10 to fit your monitor's ratio.

Is that the issue, or is it something else? Can you be more specific? Can you take a screenshot?

You can also go higher resolution than the config option allows if you change the settings in the registry. Maybe that's not required anymore, but when I reinstalled I still remember doing that just a month ago.

ZetaEpyon

In addition to the above suggestions, are you running through the 3rd-party Windower? If so, the graphical settings that you put in the FFXI config tool don't really mean much, since Windower overwrites them every time you run it. In that case, you need to change the settings in Windower, not the FFXI config tool.

hitgirl

Died like 8x in The Eldieme Necropolis trying to farm my level cap item from Lich. If anyone has some time to help me that would be great! They con VT to me and I can just solo them myself, but now I've run out of tabs and I'm screwed.

Seigyoku

Died like 8x in The Eldieme Necropolis trying to farm my level cap item from Lich. If anyone has some time to help me that would be great! They con VT to me and I can just solo them myself, but now I've run out of tabs and I'm screwed.

From the 6/13/12 update notes:

In Defiant Challenge
A new method for obtaining the required quest items has been added.
Ancient Papyrus
Collect three "Ancient papyrus shred" key items from ??? targets in the Eldieme Necropolis.
Exoray Mold
Collect three "exoray mold crumb" key items from ??? targets in the Crawlers' Nest.
Bomb Coal
Collect three "bomb coal fragment" key items from ??? targets in the Garlaige Citadel.
*Items will only be obtainable this way if the quest is in progress and the player does not already possess the item in question.

You don't have to kill the Lich, trying to solo them at your level == death.

Seigyoku

Any word on if we are getting a Login Campaign 14? Wouldn't it start in a couple of days if we were getting one?

We will be getting an August Login Campaign - as now they they are a permanent feature they have been renamed to the month they run. And we know it will feature the Cipher for the Uka Trust. Last campaign I flipped out during a spate of procrastination and actually looked up all the start and end dates for the previous campaigns and realized that they had ALL started on the 11th of each month JAPAN TIME. (10th in the US.) That said, with an update schedule for the 12th (JAPAN TIME) we'll see if this campaign starts on Sunday or not.

But it is coming! And remember to spend you point for the July campaign before you go to bed on Friday night!!!!!

ZetaEpyon

[dev1228] Quality of Life Adjustments

• A new feature for players to search for quests and NPCs offering tutorial objectives will be added to the following NPCs.
    One NPC who will have the new feature added
    Ailevia in Southern San d'Oria (I-9) / Matildie in Northern San d'Oria (J-8) / Teilsa in Port San d'Oria (F-9) / Arva in Bastok Mines (H-7) / Reet in Bastok Markets (G-8) / Dulsie in Port Bastok (J-8) / Jack of Hearts in Windurst Waters (north side, G-9) / Jack of Diamonds in Windurst Walls (C-13) / Jack of Clubs in Port Windurst (E-6) / Jack of Spades in Windurst Woods (H-11)

• Players will be able to display the TP of wyverns, avatars, automatons, and beastmasters’ familiars.
    TP can be displayed using the text command "/partyinfo showtp on".

• A new item, the “Warp Ring,” will be added in exchange for Conquest Points.

• The “Warp Cudgel” item will undergo the following adjustments.
    The time it takes for the cudgel to become useable after equipping it will be reduced from 30 seconds to 10 seconds.
    The recast time will be reduced from 1 hour to 1 minute.

• A ”Title Music” option enabling players to select which music plays will be added to the Config menu of the title screen.

Also, they just put up a notice for maintenance on Aug. 9, 2014 from 22:00 to 23:00 (PDT) to prepare for August login campaign.

Just saw this too, along with some other stuff that was pretty much already known:
Improving the Community (8/7)
Here is an update on our work to try to improve the community of the game.
First, we are trying to make it possible to that players can equip two linkshells at once. We also want to add an NPC that can be given a linkpearl, which can then be given to another player.
Equipping two linkshells means there will be a new chat channel, so this may be somewhat difficult to accomplish, but we hope that we can deliver this by the September update.
I will let you know details on the forum as soon as they're available.
That will be reaaaaally nice.

LevelNth

Banned
Two questions:

1. Is there any way to play this on a 2013 Macbook Air?

2. If I start out from ground zero, Level 1 everything, how far could I get solo? I played way back in 2004 and got up to a Samurai Level 75. Can you actually get that far solo now?

Seigyoku

Two questions:

2. If I start out from ground zero, Level 1 everything, how far could I get solo? I played way back in 2004 and got up to a Samurai Level 75. Can you actually get that far solo now?

1. If you have something like Parallels installed, yes. I did all my logins on a 2013 Macbook Air while in Japan due to my laptop deciding to travel halfway around the world AND THEN DYING. My bf had thankfully created a VM for me in Parallels and I had installed and patched the game itself before we took off. Whew.

2. You can get to 99 solo if you want (though likely around 75 you'll end up in an Aby worm party.) and at 99, you can solo almost every storyline in the game that is not the most recent expansion.

Toth

Two questions:

1. Probably bootcamp or parallel.

2. With trusts along the way, you can easily solo all the way to 99. Records of Eminence and Fields of Valor books will help as well. It won't even take you that long if you do a little research to see where the right areas are. You are basically looking to chain Even Match /Tough monsters weak to piercing.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah looks like it is possible, a quick search turned up this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/19pk2v/good_guides_to_get_ffxi_running_on_mac_os_x/

Maybe helpful, maybe not!

1. If you have something like Parallels installed, yes. I did all my logins on a 2013 Macbook Air while in Japan due to my laptop deciding to travel halfway around the world AND THEN DYING. My bf had thankfully created a VM for me in Parallels and I had installed and patched the game itself before we took off. Whew.

Oh poop, hadn't even thought of this for my trip in September/October...

Also, I think we missed this one in this thread:
The Adoulin Examiner-Prepped and Ready for Action! (08/06/2014)

The air in the mansion was heavy with silence. I could not recall another time when the mansion had been so quiet during my two generations of service to the Order of Woltaris.

The ring of the bell sent reverberations throughout the house. As I reached the entrance, I was greeted by the familiar Galkan face of Skeptical Owl – or rather, Zegard – of the Inventors' Coalition.

I admit to being slightly puzzled that he was not with his constant partner, Famlienne. The Galka must have divined my thoughts from my expression, for his face remained stoic as he quickly averted his gaze. Something had happened, to be sure, but it was not my place to pry into such matters. My duty was to assist Zegard in his journalistic investigations by answering his questions to the utmost of my ability.

Read on to find out what befell Zegard.

Seigyoku

DO NOT click on the story if you haven't caught up on missions.

PS - I need people to help me nuke umbrils, I don't want to get FARTHER behind on missions *cry*

After years and years I've decided to spend the $13 and see what this game has evolved into over the past 3ish years. Currently downloading the Abyssea bundle on Steam. I hope my nightmarish PlayOnline memories are mostly exaggerated and I have no problems getting this to run on Windows 8.1. Or maybe I should hope it doesn't run and I realize this is a horrible idea. God knows 700 days of playtime was plenty. (not a typo)

edit: "Time remaining in current process 11:32:51" Godammit PlayOnline.

More news.

The August 2014 Login Campain Descends Upon Us Soon!
12976.jpg

The August 2014 login campaign will be held during the following period.

Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 8:00 a.m. (PDT) to Tuesday, September 2 at 7:00 a.m.

Receive login points each day just for saying hello to the citizens of Vana'diel, and exchange them for various in-game rewards!

If you are logged in when the campaign begins, you must either relog or change areas in order to receive your points.

Read on for information on how to participate and for a list of items available in the August 2014 Login Campaign.

New Seekers of Adoulin Missions Flooding in Soon!
12977.jpg

Exciting new missions will come crashing into the archipelago with the version update laying anchor on Tuesday, August 12th!

The land is thrown into turmoil following
Melvien
's death. A new threat emerges while the rift between the sacred city's twelve orders deepens further and tensions between those in favor of colonization and those vehemently against it reach the boiling point.

What destiny lies in store for those caught up in these eddies of misfortune?
And what is the ultimate endgame of this new threat facing the land...?

With the final chapter rapidly approaching, the raging seas of the fourth installment in Arciela's saga continue to churn.

Top Bottom