• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

Abyssea exp is pretty simple actually. Your goal is to build up enough pearl and azure lights (with a bit of ruby/) to allow for frequent blue chest drops, and also exp/cruor light chests.

You get pearl lights by chance when you kill a monster with an autoattack. Quick draw works as well.

Azure is gained by killing monsters with magic (spells).

Once you have a decent amount of pearl and azure (100ish each really) you can really focus on chaining mobs for exp and the rest of the work on lights can be done through chest drops.

To put it even more simply. Get pearl, get azure, then kill stuff until you feel like going afk.

It's even more of a joke now if you have a friend that is BLM/BLU/GEO or RDM/SCH with blm sub. You can just go to a camp with lots of mobs packed together (Like Abyssea-Misareaux's raptor camp) and just AOE nuke everything. Use pops to kill the NM nearby for pearl. Then just grind away.

Alternatively you can get pretty decent EXP doing the Gustav/Boyahda final GoV pages. You won't get the 200-300k/hr Abyssea grants, but it has next to no start up time and can be done solo.

There's also the weird PLD method in Marjami station #2, but it's messy and you need to be kinda geared. However it can get you some of the best exp.

Is there any other way to obtain Periapts and Atmacites from VNM battles? I'm soloing my way through the early stages and haven't managed to get any triggers. I wish there was a cell to trade to increase white alignment.

Sign

Howdy!

I was wondering if you guys could tell me how important the SoA expansion is to a new player? I have all the previous expansions, but I haven't played the game since a couple of months before SoA launched, and it was only for about two weeks at that. I would be starting a new character.

Currently I have enough money to get the xpac and a month of game time, but if I won't be needing the xpac for a while I may just skip it for now and double up on time.

I apologize if this post was unclear or horribly offensive in its grammatical peculiarities.

Loona

Howdy!

I was wondering if you guys could tell me how important the SoA expansion is to a new player? I have all the previous expansions, but I haven't played the game since a couple of months before SoA launched, and it was only for about two weeks at that. I would be starting a new character.

Currently I have enough money to get the xpac and a month of game time, but if I won't be needing the xpac for a while I may just skip it for now and double up on time.

I apologize if this post was unclear or horribly offensive in its grammatical peculiarities.

Well, it does provide you with a lot of coalition assignments that give you exp without combat - as do some of its regular quests, and makes it realy easy to gear up when you reach the level cap.

Sign

Well, it does provide you with a lot of coalition assignments that give you exp without combat - as do some of its regular quests, and makes it realy easy to gear up when you reach the level cap.

I guess I'll get SoA as well. Thank you for the reply!

Man it's so sad to return to a dead linkshell. I got some questions:

Where's the best place to buy spells? I have a 49 SCH and the strongest spell I have is lightning.

Is it worth it to buy the +skill gain spark gear (is SMN skill still a bitch to level)?

Also what's the best way to spend the copper aman vouchers?

Some thoughts on my first two days back in the game:

After reading up on the things added over the last couple of years I decided to solo a small NM Skirmish. Felt really good as the last NM died with under a minute to go. After getting booted I checked my inventory to see my spoils and... shit. I guess I should've done a little more reading as I had no idea about the key that gets added to your inventory after you complete the main objective. 30 minutes down the drain.

I have to stay I'm still at a loss for how powerful the 117 Spark armor and weapons are. I was able to pick up a full set and weapon right off the bat from tutorial Records of Eminence and a few others. I spent a lot of today researching 119 artifact and relic pieces for my PUP and I guess I'll get on that next. I'll be starting from scratch on those so we'll see how it goes.

Decided to start getting some Dynamis KIs so I went into Bastok this morning. Steamrolled my way to the boss and it cast Death on me when it was almost dead. Note to self: bring reraise next time. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

There's still so much I want to try. Unfortunately without a Linkshell I'm limited to soloing with Trusts at the moment. So now I'm trying to figure out what's soloable or not. If anyone can let me know if any these are soloable I'd appreciate it:

Voidalker NMs. Never messed with it a bit.
High Tier Misson Battlefields
BCNMs with relevlant crafting materials or useful gear.

I'm pretty much running on trial and error at this point. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be the abundance of info about this game that there was back when I used to play.

Which server did you wind up on again? The majority of us are on sylph and you're more than welcome to come join us.

As far as soloable stuff, I'm not really the best soloer myself. I work better in a group than I do alone, and it's more fun for me that way, so unless it's something mindless like farming, I like to bring others along. Sometimes even for the farming. That said, you can't use trusts on the mission battlefields, but maybe you could try some on very easy since you're on a pet job?

For what to do, I would set a goal for something you want to get, or get access to, or see the end of, and just follow through with it till you're done. Make stops along the way to get a useful piece of gear or something that would allow you to progress easier.

Man it's so sad to return to a dead linkshell. I got some questions:

Where's the best place to buy spells? I have a 49 SCH and the strongest spell I have is lightning.

Is it worth it to buy the +skill gain spark gear (is SMN skill still a bitch to level)?

Also what's the best way to spend the copper aman vouchers?

Throw the vouchers on the npc and save them till you have something pressing to get. Skill gain gear will save you a ton of time. Smn skill is still a bitch. Spells are purchased and farmed all over. Make sure you get all the helicies and embrava / kaustra from the necropolis in the past, most of your sch specific stuff comes from the AH, high tier nukes (3-4) are farmed from the same places as always, not much has changed there. T5's are from voidwatch and newer events.

Throw the vouchers on the npc and save them till you have something pressing to get. Skill gain gear will save you a ton of time. Smn skill is still a bitch. Spells are purchased and farmed all over. Make sure you get all the helicies and embrava / kaustra from the necropolis in the past, most of your sch specific stuff comes from the AH, high tier nukes (3-4) are farmed from the same places as always, not much has changed there. T5's are from voidwatch and newer events.

Thanks. I just got sch to 49 as a sub for my smn. What are the subjob spells that I absolutely need? I'll just skip the rest.

Got Yorcia delve clear last night. :) It was quite easy, we went MNK SAM COR BRD RDM WHM. I was COR. Was awesome. Not sure if we'll get to do Marjami/Kamhir tonight though, but i hope so. I really want to get Tinhaspa for PUP.

I'm working on Pulanxa now, then probably Qaaxo feet. It' s funny how just one week of delve has completely upgraded my gear.

Feels so good to be back but old habits die hard lol. Got alot of reading to do so I can catch up and I'm also thinking of moving all my characters over from Bahamut.

It's update day!

Vana'diel Doused with August Version Update!
12988.jpg

Beat the heat by diving headfirst into the sea of additional Seekers of Adoulin missions implemented with this update! However, if that alone doesn't quench your thirst for adventure, try getting wet and wild in the new alluvion skirmishes!

The equipment set-switching feature should help you keep your cool in the field, whereas new slick and sleek weapons may just compel you to ice some enemies. Furthermore, you'll be able to sink deeper into the abyss of Ra'Kaznar with the unveiling of its Inner Court, or-if you prefer to stay afloat-splash around with Shadowreign alter egos. Let's not lose the various job adjustments and job point additions amidst this perfect storm of an update, either. There's something for every swashbuckler in this installment!

Slip and slide into all the refreshing details.

Here's the dat mining information:
http://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/August_2014_Version_Update_Changes

And the Graphics dumps (has spoilers):
http://wilddragonchase.blogspot.sg/2014/08/ffxi-12-august-2014-version-update-data.html

Freshly Picked Vana’diel 10” Digest has been posted

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/t...cked-Vana’diel-10”-Digest?p=520249#post520249

“Freshly Picked Vana’diel 10” Digest
Greetings,

To coincide with the August version update, Producer Akihiko Matsui held another "Freshly Picked Vana'diel" to go over some of the new content and discuss other topics pertinent to adventuring. Below is a digest of what was discussed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qW6Ep_A0AU

Originally Posted by Akihiko_Matsui

Hello,
Matsui here.

Thanks for tuning into Freshly Picked Vana’diel 10.

For those of you who were unable to watch the stream, I've created this digest of what was discussed during the stream.

Table of Contents
Seeker of Adoulin Missions
Alluvion Skirmishes Part 1
Alluvion Skirmishes Part 2
Trust Initiative
Job Adjustments Part 1
Job Adjustments Part 2
Job Adjustments Part 3
Job Points
Equipment Set Feature
Quality-of-life Improvements
Campaign Announcements
September Version Update Preview
Conclusion

I also want to highlight the upcoming campaigns post, especially the welcome back campaign.

Originally Posted by Akihiko_Matsui

Sunbreeze Festival
The Sunbreeze Festival is currently underway and you can obtain a special happi with a moogle design on the back. You can also obtain the Mumor alter ego as well, so please enjoy the festival as well as these special rewards!
Mog Garden Campaign
We'll be holding a Mog Garden Campaign that begins on Friday, August 22. This time around we'll be doubling the items you can earn through monster rearing.
Double Capacity Point Campaign
On Friday, August 29 we'll be kicking off the Double Capacity Point Campaign. Please be sure not to miss out on this opportunity to save up points for the new enhancement categories that were added in the August version update!
Welcome Back Campaign
Starting on Friday, September 12 we'll be holding a Welcome Back Campaign. Players that are taking a break will be able to return to Vana'diel and adventure again.

We're planning a lot of other campaigns, so please stay tuned for more information!

Additionally, we've been receiving feedback asking for campaigns to take place on the weekdays as well, so we will be looking into the days in which we hold these campaigns.

Loona

Strangely, there are practically no shouts for the new fight in my server, and even if you can use trusts in it, it seems the main NM stays back raining 2k damage nukes from afar while his guards mob you... tricky... I might have to shout for it, but in the meantime I guess I'll level my adventuring fellow while farming the entry KI, maybe racking up merit points to boost stats while at it.

BTW, it seems the KI is way more likely to drop from the east side of Rala - last night I spent hours killing efts, well over 100, near the augural conveyor and nothing, so I eventually moved to the east side, and after a few mobs I got the KI.

Leunam

Which coalition quests do you guys recommend? After I get my Rajas ring tonight I'm going to shift gears over to that.

Which coalition quests do you guys recommend? After I get my Rajas ring tonight I'm going to shift gears over to that.

Start with non combat ones, couriers is the best source of fast bayld. If you keep 3 imps flagged in everything you can possible do at all times, you can just sort of get them naturally too, so before you start spamming, load up on one of everything. There's also a spreadsheet in the OP to help you keep track.

Leunam

Is anyone planning on fighting Orthrus soon? I'm pretty sure I've got a pop and I'd like to get my hands on an Atheling Mantle.

Leunam

I can jump on when I get home from work, but I won't be home tonight after about 8:30 central. I'll probably be on all weekend though.

B.K.

Is anyone planning on fighting Orthrus soon? I'm pretty sure I've got a pop and I'd like to get my hands on an Atheling Mantle.

Unless you just want the Atheling Mantle, you're probably better off farming reives for your JSE cape.

Leunam

Hmmm. JSE cape does look better. +5 STR and an extra +15 Attack but no +3% Double Attack. But I'm not sure how seen I'll be able to start doing Reives.

Hmmm. JSE cape does look better. +5 STR and an extra +15 Attack but no +3% Double Attack. But I'm not sure how seen I'll be able to start doing Reives.

The atheling is probably better for TP, the JSE for weaponskill. Either way, killing orthrus won't be an issue if you have a pop already.

IIRC you have some skirmish gear, so reieves in ceizak, yahse, morimar, and foret should be doable, as well as most the surrounding gates.

8sdLpOy.jpg

Just need my relic and JSE now and I am pretty much set to never have to job change to BRD ever again.

I got COR and GEO pretty much geared up now. If people want my BRD for anything they can go level it themselves.

Toth

It's always amazing how much FFXI's storylines continues to be so strong and well directed. I wish 14 had the same strength but alas Yoshida is too happy just rehashing the old games storylines in Eorzea....

Had some fun adventuring these last couple days. Took my LV 35 or so DNC into the Promyvion Dem, Mea, and Holla for the first time. I could have used my LV 65 BST and tore through it, but found things to be more fun with some challenge. Went from 35-46 in there and was really happy when I finally took down the "Wreaker" who kept sleeping us and killed me several times.

But I gotta say I wasn't expecting to have happen after clearing the third Promyvion.
The fact that I wake up in a new land, without a map, and have to find my way to safety was pretty cool. I had seen the Archipelligo on the region map, but never would have imagined this was the way to access it.
Also the storyline for all the CoP events so far has been quite thrilling. I have always heard about CoP being among the best stories in FF XI.

I play the game partially blind in regards to available content and mission goals. While it slows me down my progress a little bit, the feeling of satisfaction I get from discovering something new is great. In a way for me it is kind of like Demon/Dark Souls. That's not to say I never take a peek on my phone at FF XI wiki to help with quest or Mission objectives. Some of the goals are damn obtuse.

Holy shit at the circus that has become Abyssea leveling. It seems like a couple of 117 BLUs can level an entire alliance of players. I was wanting to level up a couple support jobs to make transitioning into endgame easier but I don't learn a thing in these parties. Not to mention having crazy low skills. Guess I'll start reading guides watching Youtube videos.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, Abyssea isn't the greatest if you're actually trying to learn how to play the jobs. Not to mention, leveling like that puts you way behind on your combat/magic skills, so you'd have to address that somehow as well.

A group doing GoV or something is probably better in that regard. It's still not going to give you experience in how your job plays in endgame-type events, but it's a far cry from Abyssea.

New campaign announcement from earlier today.

Simultaneous Campaigns Grace Mog Gardens and Skirmishes!
13005.jpg

Both the number of times a day you may collect items from your Mog Garden monster and the number of shining stars you receive for entering will double starting Thursday, August 21. Moreover, drop rates for skirmish simulacra segments will also increase twofold beginning the same day.

Read on for the details.

More campaign news:

The Double Capacity Point Campaign Makes a Triumphant Return!
13011.jpg

The Double Capacity Point Campaign is back by popular demand! Grab those job points during the following times:

Thursday, August 28, 2014 at 11:00 p.m. (PDT) to Friday, September 5 at the same hour.

The August version update brought along with it a bevy of new job point categories, so what better opportunity to strengthen your character could there possibly be?

Read up on the new job point categories!

Looks like atomos and double linkshells are getting postponed, but we get 2 new/revamped battle systems.

Announcing the September version update!
13014.jpg

The next version update will come romping into Vana'diel in early September.

Join the stampede with Incursion, new battle content pitting the fittest adventurers against hordes of Velkk, and Walk of Echoes content for high item level characters.

Also trampling the competition are a multitude of job adjustments, a fresh revamp of the Gobbie Mystery Box, the addition of a new monster family to Monster Rearing, and much, much more!

* Some previously announced features, including a Wings of the Goddess-related story; secondary linkshell features; and expansion of equipment sets have been postponed pending further adjustments.

Loona

More BLU spells tends to be a nice thing, but the unbridled learning stuff can be annoying - I wonder how hard it is to get those nowadays...

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
After over 20 tries before finally getting my Behemoth Tongue, I was ready for the worst, but that Sweet Tea dropped on the second kill and the Wyrm Beard on the first Fafnir kill. I'm happy. Now on to the Adamantoise Egg. Tartaruga kicked my ass solo, but now that Trusts are enabled in Seal battles I should have a chance. Or maybe I should just buy Pond Weed and go right for Adamantoise.

Edit: I thought this month's update allowed Trusts to be summoned in Seal battles? Lies. What a waste of a themis orb.

After over 20 tries before finally getting my Behemoth Tongue, I was ready for the worst, but that Sweet Tea dropped on the second kill and the Wyrm Beard on the first Fafnir kill. I'm happy. Now on to the Adamantoise Egg. Tartaruga kicked my ass solo, but now that Trusts are enabled in Seal battles I should have a chance. Or maybe I should just buy Pond Weed and go right for Adamantoise.

Edit: I thought this month's update allowed Trusts to be summoned in Seal battles? Lies. What a waste of a themis orb.

Ouch. Is it still just the SKCNM fights?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Ouch. Is it still just the SKCNM fights?

Maybe. The update just says

Summoning alter egos
It's now possible to summon alter egos after entering seal battlefields.

I think I'll just use my login points to buy Blue Pondweed from now on. Adamantoise and Aspidochelone don't hide in their shell, so I should be able to beat them easily. Especially with Trusts. It was the same with Fafnir and Nidhogg. They don't fly like Wym does. Cheap tricks are saved for the KSNMs it seems.

Aeana

The question about paladin is not a bad one. FF11's Knight/Paladin is so different from the job in other entries in the series, though, that it doesn't surprise me that they decided to change it.

There's like 4 campaigns that just got posted, but here's the big one for new folks (PAY ATTENTION TO THE DATES). There's cheap server transfers and such going on as part of this.

Two major campaigns coming your way in appreciation of twelve years of service to Vana'diel!
13045.jpg

Enjoy two new events celebrating twelve years of FINAL FANTASY XI service.

Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign
We've missed you! For a limited time only, stalwarts who've hung up their blades and staves can return to Vana'diel free of charge! Come see faces both familiar and new as you experience the changes Vana'diel has seen!

Discount Campaign
Act now and receive expansion packs you have not yet registered for a reasonable fee!

Read on for details.

13045_0.jpg

Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign
If you've ever had a subscription to the official PlayOnline / FINAL FANTASY XI service, now's your chance to log in to FINAL FANTASY XI for free!

1) Login Period
Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. (PDT) to Wednesday, September 17 at 7:59 a.m.
* Note that the Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign ends at a different time than the Discount Campaign.

2) Eligibility
Players with a PlayOnline / FINAL FANTASY XI service account and whose service contract has a status of "Canceled" or "To be Canceled" as of September 8, 2014 at 7:59 a.m. (PDT)
* Players with content IDs (characters) that have been frozen will be able to play them during the period as well. Players with more than eight characters owing to the reactivation of their service account with their need to create a new handle name or link them to an existing one.
* Reactivating your service account during the campaign period will start your contract immediately.
* Players who have concluded a service contract but never made an actual payment are not eligible.
* Players must migrate their PlayOnline IDs to a SQUARE ENIX account. (Read on for instructions on doing so.)

3) Client Data
Players without the client installed can download the files here.
* This link will download files for the FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition, but does not include a registration code.
Download Period: Until Wednesday, September 17 at 7:59 a.m.

Experience the Idyllic Vana'diel Intiative taking place at the same time!

13045_6.jpg

The initiative contains seven special in-game events for veterans and returnees alike, ranging from the Double Experience Campaign to the Alter Ego Extravaganza Unlimited!
Read on for details on the Idyllic Vana'diel Initiative!

Discount Campaign
Throught the campaign, downloadable versions of the "Seekers of Adoulin" Expansion Pack and the FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition, together with the world transfer service, are available at discounted prices.
Vana'diel is a living, breathing world that has expanded over time. Take this chance to get each expansion pack and experience the land of Altana in all its glory!

1) Campaign Period
Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. to Tuesday, September 23 at 7:59 a.m.
* Note that the Discount Campaign ends at a different time than the Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign.

2) Fees and Pricing

"Seekers of Adoulin" Expansion Pack
Digital Download
$29.99 -> $4.99
* 83% off the ordinary retail price

FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition
Digital Download
$39.99 -> $9.99
*75% off the ordinary retail price

Head to the SQUARE ENIX e-STORE

World Transfer Service
$18.00 -> $9.00