• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

About to dive in! I have to lol at the fact that I entered my Steelbook code for the music DLC, and all it says is "promotion code redeemed" and didn't download anything. It's already on the disc haha.

Going to go with:

Vaan - Shikari/Time Battlemage
Balthier - Bushi/Foebreaker
Fran - Monk/Black Mage
Basch - Uhlhan/Archer
Ashe - Knight/Red Battlemage
Penelo - Machinist/White Mage

Anyone who is worried about what jobs to pick, don't worry. Just have fun. You don't need OP set-ups to crush the game.

gfxtwin

Iirc digital foundry said the textures are that way because they implemented some kind of bump mapping. Ffx had no lighting improvements. It was a straight uprez

FFX HD looks MUCH better and truer to the game's art style. I want to know what made DF think FFXII needed bump mapping given the art style it was going for (there is no dynamic lighting, all the lighting is painted!)? That shit was never trying to look like Advent Children, it's supposed to have an illustrative look to everything. What a fumble.

iosefe

Whats the level req for the first trial?

Also has anaybody managed to get the ultimate zodiac weapons?
They seemed to have renamed them.

it's easy, i would recommend you wait until you get your first guest character so you survive to at least 3

basically, save, quit to title, play trial, die, load the auto save at the top, save, quit to title....ad nauseum

FFX HD looks MUCH better and truer to the game's art style. I want to know what made DF think FFXII needed bump mapping given the art style it was going for (there is no dynamic lighting, all the lighting is painted!)? That shit was never trying to look like Advent Children, it's supposed to have an illustrative look to everything. What a fumble.

While the textures do bother me in part, i love the new lighting changes. It accentuates the environments and atmosphere way better than the original game

it's easy, i would recommend you wait until you get your first guest character so you survive to at least 3
amalia or larsa?

gfxtwin

While the textures do bother me in part, i love the new lighting changes. It accentuates the environments and atmosphere way better than the original game

Maybe, but bump mapping was definitely not needed. It is distracting in cities and whatnot, but thankfully not that bad when you start exploring more natural environments. Still, what a shame. This could've looked even better than FFX.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Do your inactive party members level up simultaneously with the active party members in this version?

Also, am I required to use the other members who I don't commonly use? I plan on reaching the platinum.

Perineum

I got to fire up the first hour or so tonight and was thoroughly impressed. I barely remember a thing about the game, and it is all for the best.

I like the early lore, the world, the set up for everything---heck I even think Vaan looks great.

I'm excited to dive in further!

Stuart444

So... I'm underleveled right? (and I'd rather not grind but I guess I'm gonna have to)

Boss at
The valley of the dead, the phoenix one
destroyed my party. Went through 10 phoenix downs before my party fell. Mainly because of his dive attack that he does continuously and it's not like the AI knows how to dodge.

Any advice before I resort to grinding?

Level 14 - 15 with my main party (reserve characters are below)

ianpm31

Do your inactive party members level up simultaneously with the active party members in this version?

Also, am I required to use the other members who I don't commonly use? I plan on reaching the platinum.

Inactive members don't level up simultaneously but they do gain LP

6 or so hours into the game, first real boss down
Fire horse from literally nowhere! Sure game whatever you say
and it is pretty much what I remember when I first played it:

Solidly okay. The class system is basically meaningless early in the game it seems, nobody has the right gear or skills unless you buy it ahead of time at the shops (before you even get most of your party members..). Combat is fine~ish? Very little to do but auto-attack. Story seems interesting? Voice acting is... surprisingly mediocre for a game near the end of the PS2 era.

Despite all this, with the job boards + gambits this game has a lot of room to grow. It very much has mini-FFXIII syndrome: How long exactly do you need to play before it really gets good? Is it really worth it? I don't know. I didn't give 12 a fair shake on release but I intend on rectifying that now.

Kensuke

So... I'm underleveled right? (and I'd rather not grind but I guess I'm gonna have to)

Boss at
The valley of the dead, the phoenix one
destroyed my party. Went through 10 phoenix downs before my party fell. Mainly because of his dive attack that he does continuously and it's not like the AI knows how to dodge.

Any advice before I resort to grinding?

Level 14 - 15 with my main party (reserve characters are below)

Did you get the berries? Talk to the moogle at the north end of Nam-Yensa and finish the sidequest. Use them during the fight.

Stuart444

Did you get the berries? Talk to the moogle at the north end of Nam-Yensa and finish the sidequest. Use them during the fight.

Not sure why that worked but it did. Did 300 dmg but somehow it helped.

Also used a few other items that attack (motes or whatever) which helped.

Thanks.
Also that SQ was sad :(

Solidly okay. The class system is basically meaningless early in the game it seems, nobody has the right gear or skills unless you buy it ahead of time at the shops (before you even get most of your party members..). Combat is fine~ish? Very little to do but auto-attack. Story seems interesting? Voice acting is... surprisingly mediocre for a game near the end of the PS2 era.

Despite all this, with the job boards + gambits this game has a lot of room to grow. It very much has mini-FFXIII syndrome: How long exactly do you need to play before it really gets good? Is it really worth it? I don't know. I didn't give 12 a fair shake on release but I intend on rectifying that now.

1) 6 hours to the horse seems really long (did it last night in 2.
2) seriously, youve just unlocked the gambit system and class system and youre already calling them meaningless? The game wants you to plan, you can always see all the license boards from the beginning. Far too much depth to the system for me to go into detail in a single post.but let me tell you this is the least auto attack or rather attack youll be using in an ff. By mid game youll be running full time healers and supports.
And theres a difficulty spike at the 3rd dungeon and another big one on the next to really get you to think before you let the party auto attack.
3) can't say much about va, personally its some of the best ive heard in a japanese game and i know most agree with me. If you dont like it you dont like it.
4) 12 doesnt railroad you for 20hours. You can start levelling jobs and doing hunts within the first 20 minutes. Most of the mechanics are introduced and completely opened up by the 4th dungeon. Which is essentially the opening act of the game.
MY GOODESS that's an epic intro. Like a mini movie all its own. This music!

Also I've been pronouncing Ivalice incorrectly my entire life.

The intro is up there with ff9 for me. Sets up the world so much better than most ff intros.
Most ff intros are just there to look epic.

iosefe

Trial mode levels are repeatable or once completed we can't get a chance to steal the items again?

lets say you die, the game auto saves. load that in the game proper, and it says your trial progress will be reset, proceed to save the game and quit to title to start trial again.

seeing as it says you lose trial progress if you load into the main game, it's probably fully intended to be used/abused

*edit: excerpt from prima guide confirms:

"Trial Mode save files (and autosaves) can be loaded from the normal ”Load Game" option at the main title screen. If you load a Trial Mode save this way, you'll return to the main adventure of FINAL FANTASY XII, carrying with you any license points and items earned up to that point in Trial Mode. However, your Trial Mode progress disappears"

teiresias

6 or so hours into the game . . .

Voice acting is... surprisingly mediocre for a game near the end of the PS2 era.

Uh . . huh . . .

1N3gzkN.gif

Is there any way to change the party leader without removing the current one from the active party?

I died as Vaan and chose Basch to be the leader but now I've found since he was only a guest he can't be removed so I can't make the leader Vaan again. Not a big deal I know but still annoying.

mieumieu

Is there any way to change the party leader without removing the current one from the active party?

I died as Vaan and chose Basch to be the leader but now I've found since he was only a guest he can't be removed so I can't make the leader Vaan again. Not a big deal I know but still annoying.

Press up or down on the dpad

Wilsongt

You can bite Bender's (John DiMaggio's) shiny metal ass with that comment.

Oh yeah... *finds that treasure chest in Lowtown. Opens it* fuck you, Treasure Chest

Excited to finally play this. Only main FF that I've never touched. Only a couple of hours in, but it feels like the game I've been longing for. Like, just classic Final Fantasy.

Only two nitpicks really. First, the dialogue options or whatever are hilarious. There are always two choices, and they are either "do what you need to do" or "do nothing."

Also, holy shit, what is with the compression on the voices? Has to be the worst sounding voice quality I've ever heard in a game. Not really hurting my enjoyment, but pretty weird.

artsi

Kind of disappointed the voices still sound pretty bad (technically) even though they were supposed to be fixed.

But I'm still going to enjoy this a lot.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
12 shits on 10 visually both then and now.

Come at me brehs

MartyStu

Excited to finally play this. Only main FF that I've never touched. Only a couple of hours in, but it feels like the game I've been longing for. Like, just classic Final Fantasy.

Only two nitpicks really. First, the dialogue options or whatever are hilarious. There are always two choices, and they are either "do what you need to do" or "do nothing."

Also, holy shit, what is with the compression on the voices? Has to be the worst sounding voice quality I've ever heard in a game. Not really hurting my enjoyment, but pretty weird.

It used to be worse.

Caved in and bought this. Holy shit the textures are horrible. FFX HD looks so much better than this...

It's such an odd situation where neither remaster wins, though I can't remember what FFX HD's textures looked like to compare. With FFX HD, it potentially had better textures, but the character models got mangled, and lost all the subtle facial animation. (i will never be over this screeeeeech) For TZA, the textures might not be as good, but at least the character models are fantastic, and all the subtle animation has been retained. For me, I'm much happier with the latter situation, though it'd be nice to have it both ways.

Severance

The funny thing is, if you're new to FFXII and think the voice compression is bad in the remaster.. The original is far worse. I have to think that the source quality is so terrible, they would have had to bring all the voice actors back record their lines again to truly fix it.

At least the writing itself is fantastic. I love the dialog between all the characters, it's top tier in the FF series. Even simple scenes are entertaining. I find myself stopping to talk to everyone in the cities because there's some great lines to be had that add to the story and the world.

Ulong

The new Job system still retains the feel of the licence system to some extent right? I only played a very small amount of FF12 back in the day, but I remember liking the openness of that leveling system.

The game has a proper ending right? It's been so long since I've heard anyone talk about ff12 or thought about it myself, but I have some vague half remembered thought of people having a problem with the ending back in the day or something.

Third final question: Physical Copy of the game doesn't do anything to decrease that large install size eh?

Meowster

The remaster is really weird graphically.. the shadowing is incredible and the lighting is fantastic. Facial work and the models of all the characters are standout. But then they'll retexture the walls and forget to do anything to the carpeting/rug. It is a mixed bag but overall, the above I mentioned is good enough.

Copper

Wasn't the original soundtrack supposed to only be for the limited steelbook edition?

I got the standard one and it's on the disc lol

You get a code to redeem it. You get 3 options for the soundtrack. I've been playing with the re orchestrated and I think it's good.

Odd. On PS4 pro on my 4K TV I was quite impressed with everything visually for a PS2 era game.

Sad but this game remaster actually looks on par or better than most Jrpgs as of late. It really was a game ahead of it's time when it was released.

SheHateMe

This will probably get drowned in other posts, but I wanted to talk about this here.

So, I've never played XII. I own it, in it's wrapper and all, on PS2. I bought it right before the 360 came around and I never went back to revisit it.

I now own the PS4 version and part of me wants to min-max my ass off, but the other part of me wants to go in blind and give it a run.

I haven't even booted the game up yet because I'm still making my decision.

Fake Edit: Fuck it, I'm going blind. Let's see what all the talk is about.

Waterdrop

Lmfao

This game is the best voice acted game in Gaming history, you are on something.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I need a quick reminder: are loots meant to be sold only, or is there another use for them (item synthesis, trading, etc)?

Top Bottom