• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

SLV

What do the blue diamondy icons next to some monsters in trial mode mean, that those are the ones with something worthwhile to steal?

aravuus

Yeah I take what I said earlier back, looks like the Trials are much more abuseable than I thought

I love it

e: shouldn't have stolen The Sword of Kings lol, now the game tries to force it on every party member with optimize in the equip menu, and I can't sell it

Kensuke

I'm curious about this too. I was thinking about making Fran a Bushi/Red Mage

The reason you don't see Bushi paired with mages often is because they barely gain anything from each other. Bushi does give mages a bunch of HP, but that's about it. The other way around is worse though, because it limits the Bushi's huge damage potential. No adrenaline or focus and few battle lores means that katana won't be doing nearly as much damage as it could be doing.

When can you get the second jobs for characters?

After Tomb of Raithwall apparently.

So, give or take like 10-15 Hours into the game. I'm a shade under six hours and just left Bhujerba, but I have the speed multiplier for places outside of towns and i'm leaving Hunts until I get the team together + second jobs.

Ydelnae

6 hours in, I'm actually liking Vaan a lot more than I expected. I just got Basch as a permanent member, tried to buy new gambits and felt overwhelmed by how many options there are. Now I'm broke and I didn't even buy most of them.

Rad-

I see nobody seems to be pairing bushi with any mage jobs, is it not good to keep them in mystic armour?

He pairs well with Time Mage for one. Gets heavy armor, can cast Berserk on self etc. But generally you don't want to pair him with jobs that have to do a lot during fights because that takes away from his great single target DPS. For example Black Mage is all about casting spells during fights and that means you won't be attacking with katanas during that time.

And I have to say overall about the game that the dual job system really makes the game better. I couldn't go back to IZJS anymore.

I'm curious about this too. I was thinking about making Fran a Bushi/Red Mage

Red Mage works. Start fights by casting Disable or Sleepga and then just start hacking away.

Or there is also this that I posted on the last page:

I think Bushi/Red Mage is even better at the same stuff. Doesn't get quite as high evade but instead you can get Bloodsword A in the Trial battle 3 so sword + shield combo. Bushi unlocks Bloodsword licenses through Esper. Now equip Genji Armor + Genji Helmet + Jackboots and you get 100% counter chance. Bloodsword A confuses every enemy that isn't immune to it with its 100% confuse chance. So basically every enemy that attacks you in melee, gets confused if not immune.

Ashe is the best with this job combo as she gets all those goodies and still 99STR and 99MAG end game.

And the reason for Bushi over Knight with this combo is that Bushi/Red Mage gets 3 swiftness licenses and Knight/Red Mage gets only 1. So Bushi is 24% faster.

_Ryo_

Where and at what point can you buy thundera/higher power thunder Magiks?

I just wanna kill this damn headless motherfucker already.

Jb

After 15 and 13 playing a Final Fantasy that's actually good at world building, establishing characters with clear motivations and just setting up a story is extremely pleasant.
As a first timer I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the more passive combat but so far it's really enjoyable, and I can already see how it will get more interesting later on with more gambits and tougher enemies. Really glad i picked this up.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Mine isn't, haha. I remember bits and pieces but for the most part, the story is pretty much brand new to me.

I'm 100% okay with this.
I still don't remember the story though.

Also had my first game over. Was merrily killing Cockatrices in some desert and then got wrecked by a unique named one.

I still don't remember the story though.

Also had my first game over. Was merrily killing Cockatrices in some desert and then got wrecked by a unique named one.

The first thing I did when I initially exited the city with Vaan was get totally wrecked by a group of 3 cockatrices.

It was like a welcome home party.

kromeo

Changed my mind yet again

Vaan - Machinist/White Mage
Panelo - Red mage/Archer
Balthier - Foebreaker/Monk
Fran - Black Mage/Time Mage
Basche - Uhlan/Shikari
Ashe - Bushi/Knight

looks better to me

Rootbeer

Banned
I really wish this version of the game had a recommended job selection for both jobs of every character, just to ease some of the frustration. I don't do well with this many things to consider, lol. Sigh, still poring through guides on job suggestion combos... I don't care about min/maxing too much, I just want something that is lore-compatible and gives every character a really good balance, ideally using every class.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wish Basch didn't cut his hair lol.

Jennipeg

You run like 1 errand before the infiltration and subsequent introduction of 5/6 party members.
And it makes sense because an errand boy is exactly who he is before the incident.
Slaying rats to meet ends after your state just lost the war made far more sense than anything in the first two hours of 13.
Yeah it plays epic, but we know dick all about whats going on or who any of the characters are or why theyre with each other or what theyre trying to do. The game doesn't start making sense until ch3 when the characters finally take a break and you try and understand what just happened.
15's is simple enough but its just dull dull dull.
And i say that as someone who unlike 99% of gaf actually likes both these games

I agree (although I'm a rare person who likes XIII), I actually shed a tear during the opening cinematic, I had forgotten how good it is. It doesn't feel incoherent to me either, we watch them lose the war from the perspective of Kings etc, then get dumped into the streets of Rabanastre to experience the aftermath. I love it personally. Also, Vayne has the most amazing hair.

I do love FF9, but cannot really follow your complaints regarding this opening. I mean Vaan is essentially a surrogate for the undercast living in squalor following the direct events of the war you just witnessed. He is the perspective of life in the aftermath and its made very clear how his days are structured as he toils in lowly errands. NPC's are littered everywhere giving even more context as such. I'm not a fan of Vaan as a character, but I don't see fault in his personal introduction nor in explaining hunts as they do in that sequence. Can't really bitch about him being an errand boy and then give praise to FF9 for largely doing the same.

I mean if you just really hate Vaan then say it, but not enuff epic moments? Cmon now...(not gonna bother touching your XIII comparison since you didn't really make a case)

Just saw this post, and you said it better than me, I shouldn't have bothered lol.

CLBridges

Game looks good. First time playing the zodiac version and I'm going in blind. Gonna select jobs based only on what I see the character as. This may come back to haunt me but oh well lol.

Everything feels fresh and vibrant. It's like I'm playing this for the first time.

kromeo

The main problem with the story pacing in the game is the way the Occuria are suddenly brought into it without any real explanations, that's when it really starts to feel like things were cut/unfinished to get the game out

SkylineRKR

6 hours in, I'm actually liking Vaan a lot more than I expected. I just got Basch as a permanent member, tried to buy new gambits and felt overwhelmed by how many options there are. Now I'm broke and I didn't even buy most of them.

Yeah Vaan isn't bad at all. His design sucks ass, but as a character he doesn't whine about his dad (or bro) all the fucking time or doesn't act like an asshole towards people who care about him. See VIII and X. You can also shove him aside, though he'll always be controlled in cities it seems.

And I think Ashe and Basch might be among the best FF characters ever created.

Jennipeg

The main problem with the story pacing in the game is the way the Occuria are suddenly brought into it without any real explanations, that's when it really starts to feel like things were cut/unfinished to get the game out

I'm curious about how this pans out, I can't remember having an issue with it when I first played. But its a common complaint so i'm going to pay extra attention to their introduction.

mieumieu

Occurians is always there though.

The vision.

That berserk Viera.

Bergan.

Doctor Cid.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So who do I assign espers to?

Lucreto

How is this party line up.

Vaan - Shikari / Uhlan
Balthier - Breaker / Machinist
Basch - Knight / Breaker
Fran - Archer / Red Mage
Ashe - White Mage / Time Mage
Penelo - Black Mage / Monk

I usually play as the classic line up Black Mage, White Mage and tank.

So I will have Vaan, Ashe and Penelo as my main party.

The other 3 as back up or if I get bored. Fran is back up white / Black Mage for the second team.

kromeo

Occurians is always there though.

The vision.

That berserk Viera.

Bergan.

Doctor Cid.

They're there but they feel hugely underdeveloped to me. I also have another issue with the latter part of the story, specifically regarding Ashe but I don't want to go into spoilers

Just finished escaping the prison, it's really nice to play this game again. FFXII was never my favourite (IX) but I do love Ivalice as a world and rank 12 fairly high, especially in light of what we've got since. Just finished up escaping the prison out into the desert. I'm pretty much just rolling with picking one job that each character that feels canon/right story wise and a job that compliments the first choice. Can't remember ever considering this first time around but it does make me a little sad that the only non human member of the party is Fran when there's such a range of fun races in Ivalice.

Side note, my last major summer with the PS2 I remember spending on FFXII and DQVIII, it's cool to have both games back in circulation and interesting to see one go to Ps4, one to 3ds.

garath

I'm two hours into the game and still haven't picked jobs yet lol.

Probably closest to this so far:

Vaan - shikari/foebreaker
Balthier - white mage/machinist
Basch - bushi/knight
Penelo - black mage/red mage
Ashe - black mage/monk
Fran - uhlan/time mage

So for black mage/monk is it really just a caster with monk level hp? I'll basically have two primary casting damage dealers in this setup right?

kromeo

How is this party line up.

Vaan - Shikari / Uhlan
Balthier - Breaker / Machinist
Basch - Knight / Breaker
Fran - Archer / Red Mage
Ashe - White Mage / Time Mage
Penelo - Black Mage / Monk

I usually play as the classic line up Black Mage, White Mage and tank.

So I will have Vaan, Ashe and Penelo as my main party.

The other 3 as back up or if I get bored. Fran is back up white / Black Mage for the second team.

Looking at the license boards Machinist seems to have more abilities that benefit mage than monk, so you could maybe swap those 2. Other than that those are extremely close to what I've gone for

You've put breaker twice so I guess swap Basche to knight/bushi

I was a teenager when this game first came out on PS2. I remember not enjoying it at all and giving up on it. I didn't like combat, I didn't like the main character, and I was one of those people who were like "this isn't my Final Fantasy with this auto attack and automated combat." I have been harsh to this game ever since.

I got really into FFXI after that which lead to playing that for several years and a MMO addiction for almost a decade. I never went back and it was always in my mind that this was my second least favorite mainline FF game.

I'm in my 30's now and started this on Monday night. My teenage self was wrong, so so wrong. XII is great, I appreciate and love the combat now, the 2x and 4x speed is GOAT, for combat and I'm sure for grinding in the future. Im eager to get off work and home from the gym so I can continue this journey.

Question: Does it matter which order the character gets their job?

Tiamant

I love how ridiculous the armor is in this game. Reks is just prancing around in his boxer-briefs with some leather straps and scraps of armor.

No wonder they lost the war. Dalmascans basically go to fight wearing metallic lingerie against full-armored Archadians.

Think I settled on my character builds. Still been working on this since yesterday; hadn't played the game yet but I think I'm ready. Tried to format it as:

STR, MAG, VIT, SPD Stats*; Character, Jobs, Augments (Swiftness, Channeling, Adrenaline, Focus, Spellbreaker, Serenity). Then, Espers, and abbreviations for the gear. It's using every armor only 1 time to make sure that I didn't mess up and make it impossible for 2 characters using the same gear to both hit 99/99 or something like that. *I chose to put the total stat despite the 99 cap to keep track of wasted +stats or how closely I flushed everyone to the 99 cap.

099/100/47/38 - BAS - BSH/MNK - S3C0 AFSS - CHA ZOD - GldCp + Lrdly + Genji
099/068/98/98 - BAL - SHI/FOE - S3C0 AF - BEL ZAL CUC SHE ULT - GrndH + Mirag + Grmns (or Genji @ 99/68/78/48)
099/085/62/41 - FRA - KNI/TBM - S3C3 AFSS - ADR HAS - Genji + Genji + JadeA + Blood Sword A + Aegis Shield = EVA 74% + MEVA 65%
099/073/61/43 - VAA - KNI/MCN - S3C0 AF - MAT EXO FAM - DuelM + Maxim + Genji
100/103/57/36 - ASH - UHL/WHM - S2C3 AFSS - BEL - Circl + GrndA + ?????
071/115/78/36 - PEN - BLM/RDM - S2C3 SS - ZER - Hairp + GlmRb + ?????

Balthier is my main guy and he's probably my favorite build in that for both SHI Ninja Swords and Daggers or FOE Axes and Hammers, I hit 99/98/98 for STR, VIT, and SPD. He has a lot of versatility, too, with being able to use Main Gauche + Shield Block 3 to tank, buff or debuff with Protectga/Shellga (via Esper, sacrificing either 1 STR or MAG on Vaan or Fran) or all 4 Breaks, or help out with recovery since (with no ARC) he has Phoenix Lore 2 and Potion/Remedy Lores 3. But he's primarily DPS and can switch in Genji Glove for the 32 or 25 combo rates, respectively, of Orochi N or Scorpion Tail F and still be 99/48 and 99/79, respectively, or go 99/98 if Orochi N or if I just want to see the biggest numbers possible, Scorpion Tail F.

It fits my headcanon, too. Shikari can use guns so Balthier could just as easily be it as a Machinist. Let's me also go all-ranged for Fun with Balthier, Fran, Vaan, or Balthier, Vaan, Penelo if I want to do Oil + fire attacks. Balthier is inferior with guns, but my headcanon is, he uses guns as a ruse to help hide his past job, and that in his past job he was a Foebreaker.

Basch as a Bushi was a hard decision. A lot of people are going Bushi + Knight or even + Foebreaker or Shikari. I ruled out Shikari because I felt it kept him from perfecting his DPS and lacked taking advantage of his MAG. Likewise for FOE, for MAG. So, that leaves Bushi + Knight. However, what does Knight offer? Heavy Armor + Zodiac Esc. Shield + Shield Block 3. Higher EVA would be nice for Critical HP Berserked DPSer, but most difficult Bosses/Marks in this game have Null Evasion, so all the EVA become useless. Also, you're at 99/97 STR/MAG, whereas BSH/MNK can easily hit 99/99 with Mystic Armor.

BSH/KNI is still great. The stat difference is marginal and symbolic with Masamune I, and even if the EVA is useless, BSH/KNI will have MEVA 60 vs just MEVA 5 on BSH/MNK, but with the way Critical HP works as a percentage of max HP, the HP advantage of BSH/MNK may be more useful for keeping a <20% HP alive because BSH/MNK can wear Dueling Mask and still hit 99 STR for Masamune I, and with HP Augments will have about [with Bubble] about 3500-4000 more HP than BSH/KNI (depending on Exodus), which is then an extra 700-800 HP to work with at Critical HP. That should put Basch at 18,118 HP as BSH/MNK vs 14,648, or instead of Critical HP of <2929 he'll have <3623. I think the huge EVA advantage is a non-factor by that point because any monster than doesn't have Null Evasion won't kill you anyhow, but to be sure it's basically a +55 MEVA vs +700 HP (at <HP Critical) for keeping your Adrenaline Berserk DPSer alive.

I'd probably give BSH/KNI the edge, but my other concern is my main party is a SHI/FOE and KNI/TBM (for easier Haste + Bubble during the story), so BSH/MNK is going to better take advantage of my 99 MAG than BSH/KNI (MNK gets Curaja without Esper, Holy, Renew, and Arise too but then your MCH loses Hastega/Slowga). So, BSH/MNK gives me a better healer when I'm not Berskered, and I think the extra HP when <HP Critical is an interesting alternative to big MEVA advantage of KNI.

The other 4 characters have a lot of freedom. I went with 2 Knights partially because I think the Job can be split well into 1 DPSer with Tournesol (Vaan + Genji Glove usually about 4-8% less DPS than Basch BSH) but gets the Curaja to help out with healing and party MP, and another one into 1 Tank/Healer with Zodiac Esc. Shield. and gets Brave, Faith, Curaja, and then goes for a 2nd Job that gives you Magic Lores and Channeling. I went with KNI/MCN on Vaan so he do top DPS with Tournesol + Swiftness 3 but still has Curaja, Hastega, and Slowga; then, Fran as KNI/TBM also with Swiftness 3 but also lots of Magick Lore and Channeling 3 for Curaja, Hastes, Berserk, Bubble, etc. TBM is kinda gimpy but I think it fits KNI well and makes a strong endgame Tank/Healer/Buffer but also early game you get manageable support with Cura, Raise, Haste pretty early. Plus it fits my headcanon of Balthier, Fran, and Vaan all being able to use ranged weapons hhhh.

Fran as KNI/TBM has a lot Accessory freedom. Thinking for the story, can use Jade Collar + Blood Sword A + Aegis Shield + Decoy to be my main tank with EVA 64 and then even with Null Evasion Boss/Marks, the MEVA 65 will nice. I was thinking, I could use Genji Armor (both still hit 99 STR) + Battle Harness, too, on either Vaan or Fran if I wanted them to tank easier mobs, and I think their 84% counterattack rate would suit Tournesol and its low combo rate better than Genji Gloves if they're tanking low-medium difficulty enemies. If you're controlling them as main character and lead them into mob groups, you'll get the 1st attack and a lot of counterattacks right off the bat. I'd switch to a shield though for any difficult mob though.

Rest of the party has some freedom about switching up items and keeping important stats at 99. For example, no one is using the Magepower Shishak. Fran could use it and the extra +1 STR wouldn't matter but she would gain +1 MAG and +MDEF. Or, if Ashe wanted to use White Robes for P-Up Holy (Holy Lance or Holy spell), she could replace Circlet + Grand Armor (+14 STR, +10 MAG) for Magepower Shishak + White Robes (+11 STR, 15 MAG). She'd end up at STR/MAG 97/99 instead of 99/99 but she'd utilize the Magepower Shishak more than Fran in that scenario (assuming I was using both together).

Similarly, Vaan hits STR 99 easily so I went with Dueling Mask and Maximillion (Rather than, say, Grand Armor or Magepower Shishak) so that he exactly reaches 99 but doesn't go over, but also gains the +800 HP and +6 Speed, respectively. But if I want more MAG instead, I could switch in Magepower Shishak. Penelo I made sure could still hit 99 MAG with Flame Staff (for Ardor + Oil) and subpar gear, though she can reach MAG 99 and pretty impressive VIT 78. In practice, I'd probably give her MP and SPD though, depending on who's gear I can steal.

That's about all on my build. It's quite long, and partially wrote it I think just to double check everything. I spent probably 2 weeks trying to perfect it. I haven't even played the game yet because I wasn't ready lol. I had the day off today even and I spent all day still going back and forth on KNI vs MNK for BSH, or whether to make Balthier or Basch my FOE or BSH. And then, with my rather DPS-focused-party, how I can I get more healing and buffing? Fran was originally a MNK/KNI: I wanted Scorpion Tail, Masamune, Whale Whisker + Genji Glove x 3. Fran becoming KNI/TBM was out of a need for better MAG/Channeling and healing/buffing haha.

There's some degree of preference in there. It's probably 80/20 min-maxing/headcanon or preference. Going two KNIs and no ARC, for example. I just want Vaan with a 2H sword and Fran with a 1H sword, and I have some 'fun' party ideas like Balthier (Fomalhaut + Fire Ammo), Vaan (Alberaan Y + Fire Ammo), and Penelo (Flame Staff + Ardor + Oil) for massive damage. Or, Vaan, Balthier, and Fran all using ranged weapons and going hunting on Cerobi Steppes. I had trouble deciding on my Ulhan but I went for Ashe + Holy Lance + White Robes, and ultimately I went with FOE for Balthier and BSH for Basch mostly based on which weapon stance/animations I prefer for each -- they're pretty much equal if you exchange them (Basch a slightly better FOE <20 HP with Genji; Balthier slightly better at 100% HP with Germinas Boots). A bit of headcanon in there, too... Basch being the Samurai (he sort of is in RK) and Monk and Whale Whisker also kind of fit that, while I think a Shikari/Foebreaker fits the current story of Balthier but also his history quite well (imagine his character art actually in heavy armor with a heavy axe/hammer). And as a sky pirate, he's basically sort of my FF Tactics Ninja with either Yagyu Darkblade or Scorpion Tail.

I've only been able to spend about an hour or so playing but dear god I forgot how good the OST was.

It's amazing how my memory of this game is slowly returning as I play through the levels.

Yeah this has been what's happening to me as well. Haven't really touched XII since it originally came out and I'm surprised by how much I am remembering.

KyanMehwulfe, that's some deep thinking there on your builds!

How would one work out what the best builds are in-game though? All I had to go on was the brief description of each job and I chose just what I liked the sound of. The game doesn't really do a great job of explaining the benefits of each job as far as I could see.
I know we can use FAQs, and the internet, and the game is a decade old etc - but just in the game itself, it's not very helpful.

Ydelnae

Is there anything to do in Rabanastre before leaving to the next city after Basch joins? I did hunt 4 but hunt 5 is too strong right now.

Ulong

I'm uncomfortable making such a huge decision as the job thing before knowing anything about the game.

What is the least important physical attacker job I could put on vran until I unlock the characters I want to use?

KyanMehwulfe, that's some deep thinking there on your builds!

How would one work out what the best builds are in-game though? All I had to go on was the brief description of each job and I chose just what I liked the sound of. The game doesn't really do a great job of explaining the benefits of each job as far as I could see.
I know we can use FAQs, and the internet, and the game is a decade old etc - but just in the game itself, it's not very helpful.
Yeah.... Most of that I didn't know the first 2 times I beat the original game. Balthier is slower with guns? Combo animations are different speeds but but don't change damage? I remember thinking that different animations look different speeds but I kinda hoping ATK meant DPS not raw Damage, and that if someone was slower with a 10 ATK weapon, then their damage would be higher per hit -- so each character regardless of animation speed than had the same overall DPS (some RPGs do this: they give weapons a DPS stat instead of damage to make animation speed less important). Was never really sure until I started reading about tests people were doing with emulation. Quite a lot of the stuff I referenced about DPS is based on the damage formula calculations and DPS or character frames test logs I've seen.

But TBH it's pretty marginal. I mean, you're talking about 5% differences in character frames or at best 5-10% differences in total DPS -- over long fights, fully buffed, no less. It's pretty hard to notice that in-game even on a 10 minute fight, let alone monsters that die in 2-5 hits. And the stat stuff is just me being picky and trying to make sure I waste as few +stats over 99 as possible. It's kinda spoiler-y in the sense that I'd never want to know endgame stats before I beat the game once; it's just with the 99 stat cap, there is room for min-maxing if you wanna try aim for symbolic max stats.

Top Bottom