• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

MogCakes

So there's four available on the board but only three can be unlocked, and getting one quickening will unlock the same space on another board.

Is there any reason to hold off until I get that second job, then? For Vaan I was thinking the recommended Shikari/Foebreaker. Sorry, I'm not sure why this is so hard to wrap my head around.
Yes, hold off on obtaining quickenings until you have chosen your 2nd jobs. It only matters for shikari, but there are some nodes you might want like a couple white magick nodes that are locked behind a quickening.

jimmypython

So there's four available on the board but only three can be unlocked, and getting one quickening will unlock the same space on another board.

Is there any reason to hold off until I get that second job, then? For Vaan I was thinking the recommended Shikari/Foebreaker. Sorry, I'm not sure why this is so hard to wrap my head around.

Shikari's quickening slots bridge ninja sword licenses. You need to plan a bit to see which three to get.

Syntsui

I can't get Seitengrate, not with 18 seconds, nor 19 seconds much less with 20 seconds.

You guys that actually got it working 100% of the time, do you start counting as soon as the music starts or just when Vaan appears?

Yes, hold off on obtaining quickenings until you have chosen your 2nd jobs. It only matters for shikari, but there are some nodes you might want like a couple white magick nodes that are locked behind a quickening.
You don't really need to hold off because you can preview boards even before the 2nd jobs are unlocked. Just press square in the lincence menu and it allows you to look at everything.
With that said Quickenings aren't important for battle until later anyway.

Fisty

What's the 7 zone method? Can you elucidate the process for me?

Load in the save on the air deck, run up the stairs about 3/4 of the way up to the short little flat landing right before the top of the stairs, then immediately turn around and head back to the door. Go back out onto the air deck and walk up the stairs to check if the chest is there. If it is, you're good, if not, go back to the door, enter and re-exit, and check for the chest again. You should get a chest on the 7th trip up to the top.

Well, it should be 4 times in the corner including the time he goes there basically as you're coming up the stairs after zoning in.

I promise you it definitely was 3 for me, I tried for hours to get the chest to spawn and tried the 4 boy trips (including the first one where the boy is about halfway there when you run up the stairs), I even followed the videos precisely, but always got 10 gil. After I did 3 boy trips instead of the 4 that all the videos had, it worked first time.

Someone else mentioned that method in the Gamefaqs thread because he had a Pro, as I do. The game loads faster than vanilla PS4 so that probably affects timing

Jolkien

edit: wait, is that three available unlocks for each board or across both boards? *bangs head against wall*

Yeah you should wait until you have your second job so you can check which of the 4 quickening doesn't give you skills or poorer skills. Like for exemple my Basch is a Knight/Shikari and I took the 50,100,125 LP ones.

As a side note I just got my Zodiac Spear in trial mode, hurray ! And two stage after Ultima Blade, I'll take it.

Fisty

Yeah you should wait until you have your second job so you can check which of the 4 quickening doesn't give you skills or poorer skills. Like for exemple my Basch is a Knight/Shikari and I took the 50,100,125 LP ones.

As a side note I just got my Zodiac Spear in trial mode, hurray !

I would also (if you can) hold off on buying quickenings/espers until you activate EVERY license on both boards. Some of the random stat boosts and abilities that are locked behind Espers/quickenings can be activated using other boards.

For instance, I unlocked all 3 Swiftness licenses on my Monk without using Ultima since Uhlan has 2 Swiftness licenses and unlocking both of them on Uhlan unlocked one of the locked Monk ones, which meant I could unlock the third since it was adjacent

Brakke

Banned
Uhh so I killed that wall in Raithwall's Tomb and uhh Basch got banished to the X-Zone? Description is "cannot be reversed." How do I... reverse this?

Jolkien

Uhh so I killed that wall in Raithwall's Tomb and uhh Basch got banished to the X-Zone? Description is "cannot be reversed." How do I... reverse this?

Change zone. It's the only monster in the game with that debuff so you don'T have to deal with that often ;)

kromeo

That ring wyrm fight was ridiculous, i was literally seconds away from game over when I killed it. Has the shuffle time on quickenings been reduced? I can can barely get a chain going

Brakke

Banned
Change zone. It's the only monster in the game with that debuff so you don'T have to deal with that often ;)

Lol yeah. First time I seriously fought him he banished Vossler and then I was down a man for the fight. Banished Basch sucked but at least I could swap him out.

Ourobolus

Banned
All righty, all hunts done before Giruvegan (except for Gilgamesh cause he's fucking hard...I did beat his first form and got the two pieces of Genji Gear though).

All Espers I can get at this point done as well, except for Chaos.

Guess I'll actually go progress the story.

Has the shuffle time on quickenings been reduced? I can can barely get a chain going

I'm not sure if it has, but it seems to be suffering from the same menu lag others have experienced. I had the same problems where the screen would not recognize button presses in time.

Ponn

Banned
Wait, hold on a minute, im in Raithwall tomb and did they change the loot for
beating the first Demon Wall
? I didn't get a
demons-death bane I don't remember what it was called a cool early sword
All I get was a freaking Scathe mote?? i want my time back.

It seems you've established a canon where Vaan -shouldn't- be able to do what he does when the game says that he can and did help fight against the various obstacles the party encounters. For you it comes down to whether or not you are willing to accept what the game is showing you on screen, or whether your belief that he should only be able to fit into the narrative a certain way proves insurmountable. A note: most people in the game treat the orphans as annoying kids, but the other party members come to recognize they can stand among them as they journey forward. This is only touched upon a couple times granted, and there could have been more expansion upon that subplot. Or rather it could have been a proper subplot, but as it exists we only get snippets, so I do understand where you are coming from. The biggest showings are with
Migelo after you rescue Penelo, and Balthier much later in the game

Yeah, I take your point. I'm not averse to a young orphan thief gets embroiled in big stuff and ends up growing strong narrative. Just feel that Vaan is too young and things progress too quickly with him for it to be believable. But it's not game breaking or anything. I just wish they'd made him a little older, or a little weaker, or something. I can suspend my disbelief OK as long as I use him like a thief/support character and pretend he's a couple years older =P

I have a fairly strong hang up about character/stats/battle style in RPGs. Really bothers me when they don't seem to match up.

aett

Might as well just skip the first one, eh?

I've been told that Ninja Swords 1 is better than 2, because the swords included in 2 are all elemental, so using them can be a real hassle when you don't know if it will do less damage or even heal the occasional enemy.

Wait, hold on a minute, im in Raithwall tomb and did they change the loot for
beating the first Demon Wall
? I didn't get a
demons-death bane I don't remember what it was called a cool early sword
All I get was a freaking Scathe mote?? i want my time back.

Yeah, this was changed in IZJS.

Link_enfant

Can you change the order of members in the main menu? Ot is it always made so the last character who joined your team comes in the bottom of the list?

OrionX

I must be way over leveled. My team just took Garuda down almost as fast as one of those lil' cactus babies. I love it. lol

Brakke

Banned
I must be way over leveled. My team just took Garuda down almost as fast as one of those lil' cactus babies. I love it. lol

Did you use he berries? I did and he was laughably quick.

Just beat Belias! Not too hard, either. Now to spend three hours staring blankly at planning everyone's second job lol.

OrionX

Did you use he berries? I did and he was laughably quick.

Just beat Belias! Not too hard, either. Now to spend three hours staring blankly at planning everyone's second job lol.

Nope. Balthier and Fran brought it down so quick I figured I'd just keep the item. :p

Bleh, I'm not ready to pick second jobs.

Balphon

I would also (if you can) hold off on buying quickenings/espers until you activate EVERY license on both boards. Some of the random stat boosts and abilities that are locked behind Espers/quickenings can be activated using other boards.

For instance, I unlocked all 3 Swiftness licenses on my Monk without using Ultima since Uhlan has 2 Swiftness licenses and unlocking both of them on Uhlan unlocked one of the locked Monk ones, which meant I could unlock the third since it was adjacent

You can generally tell whether you have free access to an esper-locked node just by looking around the other job board. No need to completely deny yourself access to Espers and quickenings for the entire game.

The only place it might be hard to tell is with the multiple 50 LP battle and magick lores.

Just got Zodiark, and that fight is just stupid. Took three tries and I was basically just aiming for skipping his final phase with Mist-Techs.

SkylineRKR

I can't get Seitengrate, not with 18 seconds, nor 19 seconds much less with 20 seconds.

You guys that actually got it working 100% of the time, do you start counting as soon as the music starts or just when Vaan appears?

When Vaan appears.

When it doesn't spawn, close game and restart.

Funny thing is, I got the chest twice in a row when I did the travel to Nalbina from scratch. So I went to the airdome, did leisure travel, skipped cutscene, ran to the top, closed game for autosave and then started counting when Vaan was on screen. Fucked up the seitengrat twice on accident but those were my very first 2 attempts.

Also got the chest once by just keeping entering and exiting at 2x speed. Actually within 2 minutes of trying.

Brakke

Banned
1) Christ I cannot believe we got captured again. More than half of the story beats so far are about the party or someone in it getting captured.

2) Boy they sure weren't embarrassed to say "deifacted nethicite" like sixteen times in two minutes, were they!

Jolkien

So what's the trick to make the invisible chest appear ? Close the game, load back on the deck, wait 20 secs, run back inside, then outside and it should be there ? Cause it's not working.

Syntsui

So what's the trick to make the invisible chest appear ? Close the game, load back on the deck, wait 20 secs, run back inside, then outside and it should be there ? Cause it's not working.
I literally did the steps side by side with the video guide and after hours trying I gave up. There is some unknown factor linking these people that can do it consistently that is not being explained.

Jolkien

I literally did the steps side by side with the video guide and after hours trying I gave up. There is some unknown factor linking these people that can do it consistently that is not being explained.

Yeah, I mostly wanted the thing to see how much ridiculous damage it would do but wasn't planning on clearing any post game content with it since it seemed easy, but yeah I'll just move to something else it's just not spawning.

aadiboy

1) Christ I cannot believe we got captured again. More than half of the story beats so far are about the party or someone in it getting captured.

2) Boy they sure weren't embarrassed to say "deifacted nethicite" like sixteen times in two minutes, were they!
Complaining about people saying "deifacted nethicite" is like complaining about people saying "Yevon" in FFX.

Tiamant

God I love this game's foreshadowing, it's so game of thrones-y!

When you infiltrate on Draklor Lab and find Dr Cid's Lab Balthier murmurs to himself the Jagd Diphor when remembering his life with his father. Then at Balfonheim Reddas mentions that location again with not much importance and you know that's where Cid lost his mind and met Venat.

MogCakes

Yeah, I take your point. I'm not averse to a young orphan thief gets embroiled in big stuff and ends up growing strong narrative. Just feel that Vaan is too young and things progress too quickly with him for it to be believable. But it's not game breaking or anything. I just wish they'd made him a little older, or a little weaker, or something. I can suspend my disbelief OK as long as I use him like a thief/support character and pretend he's a couple years older =P

I have a fairly strong hang up about character/stats/battle style in RPGs. Really bothers me when they don't seem to match up.
I get you. Sometimes we gotta stretch our suspension of disbelief further than we'd like haha.

Chris R

I swear, if I see 10 gil one more fucking time I'll lose my shit

edit: complaining to NeoGAF seems to have appeased the RNG gods.

The spawn method I had the most success with was the fast forward zone swap. Worked for me 3 times, each only taking a few mins to setup. Load your save from rabanastre, book the leisure flight, go outside and quit the application. Load it up, hit L1, hold down, and zone in/out a total of 10 times, then check the chest between 1-5 times after that. If it isn't there, start over, not from your autosave.

I've just been spending my LP on squares on the board and buying whatever pops up. Am I doing it wrong? 30 hours in and really worried I screwed myself

I'd get this complaint more if Vaan and Penelo progressed through the story on their own.

But they don't. And in the moments when Vaan is truly alone, he's fighting against gutter rats and bats and wolves and tiny cactus monsters, not taking out imperials one by one.

He grows strong because he has the rest of the party to teach him. It's very easy to imagine Basch taking him under his wing, as he did Reks, during the off-screen action, and training him up to be a more competent fighter. Likewise for Penelo.

Tanis

I can't remember, does Larsa return to the party after
Mt Bur Omisace
? I'm not sure if this was my last chance to use him for some hunts.

Wishing that Strong Mode let you carry over items, money etc. As it is though it's a good way to relatively quickly try out different job setups.

Tanis

I've just been spending my LP on squares on the board and buying whatever pops up. Am I doing it wrong? 30 hours in and really worried I screwed myself

It's impossible to screw yourself as far as completing the game. The ultimate aim is to unlock everything on the license board. Some orders of unlock will let you be stronger earlier but they all end up in the same place.

There are a couple of things you can miss out on with willy nilly license unlocks. You can only unlock 3 out of 4 quickenings for each character. Most classes have small bonuses locked behind quickenings and it's usually obvious which ones to choose. Exception is the Shikari with has all it's ninja swords locked behind quickenings so you have to pick one to miss out on.

Just finished Draklor with my party around lvl 28/29. I occasionally have an enjoyable challenge with bosses, but haven't tried to break the game in any way yet!

Anyways, I adore Balfonheim. That and Bhujerba are by far my favorite locations.

Eusis

I think my biggest disappointment so far, now that I think about it, is the fact they stuck with the generic PlayStation Save Menu rather than transfer over the PS2 one. ESPECIALLY because this one doesn't have enough information to be a satisfactory replacement; it doesn't show pictures of where saves are, your party composition, or even (and most damningly of all) how long you've played. Just the place and time of the save. I'm not going to hold out much hope here, but I'd REALLY like it if they could patch in the old save menu.

Everything else is either kind of nitpicky or probably a technical limitation, I would've liked the Pirate's Den restored (they could probably have made a toggle between "Trophies earned on your profile" and "Trophies earned on this save" or even just gone "fuck it we'll just go with what's on your profile and that will be that" if the former's too hard), and definitely would've been great if we had smarter steal gambits rather than just winging it with max HP. But these other faults either have been there all along or don't seriously hinder the experience, while this is an active QOL step back amidst a pile of QOL updates.

In a post-Overwatch world, all I can think of when Basch gravelly speaks is holy shit, it's British Reaper. Equally, Vossler is now Gruff Nolan North. Fantastic voice work from everyone, though. I'd forgotten how there is never really any weak dialogue from a writing stand point, either - ie. Gabranth, Vossler, etc, are all superb. So many great lines.

Syntsui

You really see how broken the gambit system is once you find a mob with reflect that keep recasting it every time it is dispelled, might as well remove the mage because the AI will never time the dispels correctly.

That hunt on Deadlands was intense.

Top Bottom