• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Does anyone have any tips for the "ride your chocobo for 10000 steps" trophy other than my plan (put a rubber band on my controller and make the chocobo run around in circles while I'm at school/work/sleeping until the trophy pops when I dismount the chocobo when I come back)?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Does anyone have any tips for the "ride your chocobo for 10000 steps" trophy other than my plan (put a rubber band on my controller and make the chocobo run around in circles while I'm at school/work/sleeping until the trophy pops when I dismount the chocobo when I come back)?

Unless its for moogle stuff I'm just going to constantly be on a chocobo

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!

Augustia Tower
200 AF
, first of all what an AWFUL random battle rate, so many of them.

And then in the end at the
Top of the tower with the 3 BOSS FIGHTS without any break and when you think it's over they give you this stupid answers to pick from and when you pick the wrong one the battle start all over again!!! WTF I'm soooo tired of fighting -.-"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Unless its for moogle stuff I'm just going to constantly be on a chocobo
Did you get the fragment skill that lets you change the Chocobo theme?

I think I should just let the trophy come naturally. If it doesn't, then I'll resort to the rubber band method.

RS4-

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!

Augustia Tower
200 AF
, first of all what an AWFUL random battle rate, so many of them.

And then in the end at the
Top of the tower with the 3 BOSS FIGHTS without any break and when you think it's over they give you this stupid answers to pick from and when you pick the wrong one the battle start all over again!!! WTF I'm soooo tired of fighting -.-"

To be fair, I think if you die at the optional part where you give the wrong answer, it doesn't penalize you and make you start from the very start. I think you just end up at the multiple choice part again.

And you do get one of the better or best healing monsters in the tower with the Flanitor

Did you get the fragment skill that lets you change the Chocobo theme?

I think I should just let the trophy come naturally. If it doesn't, then I'll resort to the rubber band method.

I think most people will get it naturally because of how useful they are especially later on in some maps and if you're too bored to even fight monsters.

Zoe

....and yeah, that clock puzzles were annoying as hell too. Glad thats over.

:lol :lol :lol

Man, a part of me dies every single time I visit
Dying World
. The music and the environment is so perfect. Oh man...

I really loved that area. I need to rewind the clock and play it again cause
I found Noel before I got a chance to "talk" to all the villagers

Esura

Banned
Am I the only one who didn't find
Caius in Oerba
hard? Felt like a push over. I got five stars for that fight just using three Ravagers. Maybe I was overleveled. By that point my Serah has around 200 Magic and 100 strength, Noel has 200 strength and like 119 magic.

neoism

I don't know if anyone mentioned but be careful about XIII-2's Crystarium system. if you want to get highest stats for your characters, don't light the sphere randomly.

basically there are big and small spheres, when light the BIG ones you will get role bonus. for example, when you use Attacker/Commando role to light the big sphere, in addition to the regular stats boost, you will get additional 2 points to ATK

here is the effect breakdown for each role when using big spheres to level them:

Attacker/Commando: attack+2
Blaster/Ravager: magic+2
Defender/Sentinel: HP+6
Healer/Medic: HP+6
Enhancer/Synergist: when level is an even number, HP+6 (for example, when you rise a level 1 Enhancer to level 2 using a big sphere, you will get extra 6 points to HP); when odd, magic+2
Jammer/Saboteur: even: attack+2; odd, magic+2

so let's say you want Noel to have max attack, you will need to use ONLY the big spheres to level attacker and jammer when its level number is even.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

kayos90

Am I the only one who didn't find
Caius in Oerba
hard? Felt like a push over. I got five stars for that fight just using three Ravagers. Maybe I was overleveled. By that point my Serah has around 200 Magic and 100 strength, Noel has 200 strength and like 119 magic.

Don't worry, cuz the last boss will kick your ass once if you don't pay attention.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
lol moogles chasing fucking cats and kids down + jumping off cliffs + pedo snow (can't say I blame him), man this game is awesome.

I love this new regular mob music im hearing now.

Esura

Banned
If I'm reading that right, and remembering the Crystarium from the demo, is the first bonus that pops fixed then and then it applies the role bonus?

Yes, that's what you normally get then the second one that pops up will be your bonus. There is a prompt letting you know you got the bonus too like "Ravager Bonus" or "Commando Bonus".

I'm not trying to max out their stats but I'm trying to build a somewhat balanced group but with their own quirks. Like, I've been trying to boost Serah's strength a bit right now, not by too much though. I've been dabbling a little bit in all of the bonuses for my characters.

Hi2u

Banned
I have a question about fusing monsters. If I fuse one with another, does that mean I've lost one of them for good and can't get another monster crystal for it? Also is getting every crystal tied to any fragments/achievements?

Esura

Banned
I have a question about fusing monsters. If I fuse one with another, does that mean I've lost one of them for good and can't get another monster crystal for it? Also is getting every crystal tied to any fragments/achievements?

I'm not sure about the fragments or achievements, but yes you lose your monster if you allow another monster to eat/fuse/absorb it. But if you always wanted that type of monster back you can get another. I ate my Silver Lobo and ended up getting another one a few hours later.

Letting your monster eat another one is cool. Allows for some odd combinations of abilities and bonuses.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Was it the Royal Ripeness boss that people were having issues with? It isn't hard. (Character Spoilers)
Snow
acted as the the third party member for me.

I ended up fighting it as if it were a Gui. Switching to Sen/Med whenever it was going to launch an attack, and then switching back to Rav/Rav (weak against wind, so use Galestrike with Noel and Aero with Serah) or Rav/Sab whenever it stopped attacking. When it's staggered, I used Com/Rav. Real easy to 5-star.

Edit: I was supposed to go to
Yaschas
next after Bresha Ruins? Whoops. lol.

Edit2: Bahahaha, this scene is better than the JP version's just because Noel's English VA does a great job of reading the lines with snark.

leng jai

Hmmm very early in the game and this boss in Brescha Ruins just kills me straight away in one hit. Am I missing something here?

I think this is one of the best soundtracks in the series.

Sure it lacks whatever deep crap I guess people want. But it sure is fun and something I can listen outside of the game.

The next FF ost probably won't have as much vocal or "technoish" music. Which is a shame.

That scene in Episode 2 in the graveyard represents everything that's wrong with modern FF storytelling: corny, unearned, completely hamfisted melodrama with no payoff.

kayos90

That scene in Episode 2 in the graveyard represents everything that's wrong with modern FF storytelling: hammy, unearned, completely hamfisted melodrama for no good reason.

There are much better scenes, only to be ruined seconds later.

I think this is one of the best soundtracks in the series.

Sure it lacks whatever deep crap I guess people want. But it sure is fun and something I can listen outside of the game.

It's sort of bipolar. Some tracks are really really good. Others are straight out of the abyss.

I keep collecting fragments and going back to Serendipity to see if I get any fragment skills from them, but that chocobo girl just keeps saying the same thing. Am I doing something wrong, or am I really just collecting all the wrong fragments? I have 44/160

It's sort of bipolar. Some tracks are really really good. Others are straight out of the abyss.
Sure, but I rate soundtrack purly based on how many tracks I will listen to while not playing the game. Probably not the most critical way, but whatever.

Right now, most of the XIII-2 soundtrack is on my iPod with many multiple plays.

Calmness

Neo Member

There are no Trophies/Achievements or fragments for getting all of the crystals.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That scene in Episode 2 in the graveyard represents everything that's wrong with modern FF storytelling: corny, unearned, completely hamfisted melodrama with no payoff.
lol, I played that part late last night and had the TV muted. I have no idea how the English voicework was for that part.

lol, I played that part late last night and had the TV muted. I have no idea how the English voicework was for that part.

Voice acting is fine as it always was. But to say the dialogue is cringeworthy is quite an understatement.

Even ignoring the terrible writing, the scene has literally no purpose. We're supposed to care about this character we met 10 minutes earlier? Is a sudden overblown melodramatic monologue supposed to change anything? No, fuck you whoever came up with this scene.

In other news, I'm enjoying the gameplay.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
For some reason, the people at Serendipity saying the Cards are coming soon fill me with excitement. Excited for DLC? What have I become.

RS4-

Quick question about infusing "rare" monsters, Golden Chocobo for example.

If I don't like how he turned out and I release him, possible to get again? I know he came from a treasure cube so I don't know how it works for that particular monster.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Xtortionist said:
Originally Posted by Dark Schala:

Voice acting is fine as it always was. But to say the dialogue is cringeworthy is quite an understatement.

Even ignoring the terrible writing, the scene has literally no purpose. We're supposed to care about this character we met 10 minutes earlier? Is a sudden overblown melodramatic monologue supposed to change anything? No, fuck you whoever came up with this scene.
I don't really give a shit about Alyssa either. I always made a point to get into a random encounter whenever she started yammering in my ear.

Otherwise, if I were you, I wouldn't have high expectations for the narrative or dialogue.

Edit: My dad just came in and made fun of Noel's pants, lol. For reference, he expressed that he really really disliked Tidus's pants when he watched me play FFX.

Otherwise, if I were you, I wouldn't have high expectations for the narrative or dialogue.

There's "bad" and then there's "intelligence-lowering"...13-2 is rapidly sprinting towards the latter.

13-2's story and dialogue is mindboggling. I play plenty of games with bad stories (I'm actually fine with Gears and Vanquish for instance) and generally don't expect much better, but it's rare that a game appears to consciously try to outdo itself again and again with such terrible dialogue and plot twists. Can't even really laugh at it like The Room. It's so far beyond that. My abstract analysis would be that the game actually thinks its brilliant and presents itself as being amazing, yet everyone is laughing at it, making the whole thing even more uncomfortable.

I hate to use the word pretentious but I think I have to. 13-2's story is pretentious and bad. That's what separates it from other stories that are simply bad.

Orca

I can't remember what the last Final Fantasy I would have recommended was, but XIII-2 twigs something deep inside...that monster hunting/gathering/improving is strangely compelling.

12 hours in, the story is weak and I'm not a huge fan of the characters (Noel is okay, a bit too much of the 'rah rah I'm a HERO and HEROES NEVER QUIT' formula for me. He's light years better than Serah though.) but I like the battle system and monster stuff enough to just keep playing anyway.

It's kind of sad how much grinding I've done already, looking to improve a monster or capture a particular one.

Cheska

...!

Oh my gosh. You can actually do this! Okay, for people who are still doing Clock Stopper, listen up:

Find a group of nonagressive enemies. Get the preemptive strike, and then when the party members cut the enemies, pause and select Retry. And keep doing this until the trophy/achievement pops. It's the same enemies over and over, and the enemies automatically appear after you start controlling your leader after you select retry, letting you PE them.

I'm such an idiot! Why didn't I think about that before!

Edit: I am now looking for someone to make a second confirmation for this. Someone volunteer to be my guinea pig!

I'm totally going to try this method when I get home. I'm in
Oerba
and I'm having no issues getting preemptive strikes, so it shouldn't take long.

That scene with Alyssa in the cemetery was pretty much the worst cutscene I've ever seen in a FF game.

I mean even her animation was funny. She was yelling at the sky saying the most over the top meladrama ever.

But then Noel saved the moment.

Alyssa should have been a party member though.

But other then that awful scene. The story has been alright and more fun then XIII-2. Though so far Im not sure what the point of it all is. What's it trying to achieve?

MrDenny

That scene with Alyssa in the cemetery was pretty much the worst cutscene I've ever seen in a FF game.

I mean even her animation was funny. She was yelling at the sky saying the most over the top meladrama ever.

But then Noel saved the moment.

Alyssa should have been a party member though.

But other then that awful scene. The story has been alright and more fun then XIII-2. Though so far Im not sure what the point of it all is. What's it trying to achieve?

can't believe she honestly believed her name was on the grave, shes crazy haha.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There's "bad" and then there's "intelligence-lowering"...13-2 is rapidly sprinting towards the latter.

13-2's story and dialogue is mindboggling. I play plenty of games with bad stories (I'm actually fine with Gears and Vanquish for instance) and generally don't expect much better, but it's rare that a game appears to consciously try to outdo itself again and again with such terrible dialogue and plot twists. Can't even really laugh at it like The Room. It's so far beyond that. My abstract analysis would be that the game actually thinks its brilliant and presents itself as being amazing, yet everyone is laughing at it, making the whole thing even more uncomfortable.
I've decided to just treat the narrative as if it were a bad comedy like duckroll suggested. Clearly we shouldn't try to take it seriously if it keeps feeding us scenes like that. The intro had some pretty cheesy dialogue, but that scene with Alyssa, at least the JP version of the cutscene, was pretty dumb.

I'm totally going to try this method when I get home. I'm in
Oerba
and I'm having no issues getting preemptive strikes, so it shouldn't take long.
Thanks! Let us know if it works. :D

For the method, let the animation play through for the first strike that the characters do to increase the Stagger gauge, and then hit Start then select retry. All you have to do is attack the creature again with a pre-emptive strike. Just rinse and repeat. It should take you about 20 minutes.

Synless

I've gone through this soundtrack a few times now and I can say with complete unwavering confidence that it is "ok" at best.

I've decided to just treat the narrative as if it were a bad comedy like duckroll suggested. Clearly we shouldn't try to take it seriously if it keeps feeding us scenes like that. The intro had some pretty cheesy dialogue, but that scene with Alyssa, at least the JP version of the cutscene, was pretty dumb.

The story would be redeemed if it had intentionally bad voice acting and lip syncing like Kung Pow.

.......that's alot of nuts!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Quick question about infusing "rare" monsters, Golden Chocobo for example.

If I don't like how he turned out and I release him, possible to get again? I know he came from a treasure cube so I don't know how it works for that particular monster.

Some monsters you can only get once, like kichu/chichu.

kayos90

I'm at 99% explored on Archylte Steppes. Can someone help me figure out where the other 1% is? I assume it's easy to miss it.

Top Bottom